Works in Progress

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found it in Youtube too... hahahaha

I came here to post it, but you were faster than me, Felipe...

"Zeus sent word that the games are coming" - best part!!! hehehehe

Honestly, I don't think any host can aim to top Rio for its breathtaking beauty... I can just imagine the Olympic rings up there with Cristo Redentor (though, that probably won't happen)....

And earlier, I was informed that in 2016, we will definitely be taking our vacation to Rio. So, I am even more excited than I already was. Can't wait!

Though, after reading this reuters artcle, http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-13/sports/sns-rt-us-olympics-riobre87c0pp-20120813_1_rio-mayor-eduardo-paes-brazil-s-olympic-london-s-olympic-stadium , I am a tad worried.

Actually, I didn't realize the problems were as long as this list seems to suggest! They seem extensive!

Hmmm

Construction delays, cost overruns and overburdened airports, roads and subway lines give locals a sense that Rio, the first South American city to be awarded the Olympics, has a long way to go if is to stage the event as seamlessly as London.

People abroad didn't realized that we have two events, two Committee organizing and two realities.

World Cup have been a mess, with delays and issues to be solved.

Olympic Games are ENTIRELY on schedule, indeed, pointed by IOC.

Subway lines have been in works for 2 years already and still expected to be opened dec/2015.

There is not cost overruns since the final budget was not released yet...

I think the international media have all the right to be skeptcal about Brazilian ability to deliver everything in time.

But they need to stick to the truth and realize, we are organizing two events.

And also point, about World Cup, FIFA waited 2 years to release the list of cities for the tournament... This was critical to delay some stadium works.

Tell me just one edition of Olympic Games without cost overruns...

(I'm not talking about being lucrative or not - this is other thing).

BTW, British politicians have much to explain about the three-times overruns they had...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/nov/19/Olympics2012.olympics2012

Tell me just one edition of Olympic Games without cost overruns...

(I'm not talking about being lucrative or not - this is other thing).

BTW, British politicians have much to explain about the three-times overruns they had...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/nov/19/Olympics2012.olympics2012

I agree with you that previous games have had problems in that area and required extra funding, but that is not what we are talking about here in a thread about rio.

Rio does have an extensive history of budget overruns in public projects (to be fair, not only rio but the whole country and many other countries as well), like the panam 07 games. Lots of delays, rushed constructions and a huge bill picked up by the federal government.

It is our money now, and we shouldnt just accept something so simple as "no cost overrun just because the budget hasnt been made public". We should try to make sure everything is on time and on budget. Accepting a politican's subterfuge is not the best way to start it.

I agree with you that previous games have had problems in that area and required extra funding, but that is not what we are talking about here in a thread about rio.

Rio does have an extensive history of budget overruns in public projects (to be fair, not only rio but the whole country and many other countries as well), like the panam 07 games. Lots of delays, rushed constructions and a huge bill picked up by the federal government.

It is our money now, and we shouldnt just accept something so simple as "no cost overrun just because the budget hasnt been made public". We should try to make sure everything is on time and on budget. Accepting a politican's subterfuge is not the best way to start it.

Agreed...

;)

And it's funny they show a picture of the skeleton of London Olympic Stadium with "here is Olympic Stadium 4 years before the games"

The Sun, here is Rio 2 stadiums 4 years before the games...

ESP222785.JPG

engenhao_dentro.jpg?w=500

Way ahead of London!

I wish we could have this website (from Brazilian Govt.) in English.

Here we have how much the stadia will cost, when the works begin and when it's expected to be done...

http://www.portaltransparencia.gov.br/rio2016/instalacoesesportivas/barradatijuca/

I wish also journalists from Great Britain make better researches and be less patri-idiotic in analysis of the games abroad...

The correct link:

http://www.portaltransparencia.gov.br/rio2016/

So according to this website, Maracana stadium will cost 0 with permanent constructions and about US$ 5 million with temporary instalations.

Speaking exclusively for 2016 yes, but the rebuilding of the stadium obviously is being made for the World Cup, which includes the cost of everything you see right now over there.

Danniel, I think you should relax a little regarding bad press, they are all over the world, they all want headlines for their newspapers. Then, the Games arrives and everything works no one will remember what happened 4 years earlier. We are now on the eye of the storm.

Speaking exclusively for 2016 yes, but the rebuilding of the stadium obviously is being made for the World Cup, which includes the cost of everything you see right now over there.

Danniel, I think you should relax a little regarding bad press, they are all over the world, they all want headlines for their newspapers. Then, the Games arrives and everything works no one will remember what happened 4 years earlier. We are now on the eye of the storm.

You are right

And your are absolutely right....

But you know, it's unfair to read such things... I expect more from British.... Indeed, they are usually so kind.

So according to this website, Maracana stadium will cost 0 with permanent constructions and about US$ 5 million with temporary instalations.

Rominger is right about the cost of rebuilding, but I'm almost sure, the temporary instalations will cost more than US$ 5 million...

PS: The website is from Transparency Brasil, it's trustable (at least so far).

Yesterday:

ESP222785.JPG

Interesting! I didn't know that the infield of the refurbished Maracana will have a rather rectangular shape, as opposed to the previous oval shape. Such a shame that they don't want to fit an athletics track there, which now would probably be easier to do.

There is an athletics stadium already, so no need for another one just because of the OG especially in the case of Maracana that is such an iconic place as a football venue.

Track there would practically ruin the place for further use.

Also, the "field area" in Maracana is considerable smaller than a required for an official 9-lanes athletics path.

But, somehow, this new shape will work fine to Olympic Ceremonies. They can place some fake path to make the parade of nations.

Also, because of FIFA standards, it is recommended (or compulsory, I don´t remember right now) that, for the WC, football field should be as close as possible, without a track to separate.

Anyway, regardless of the debate of OC/CC in the same stadium of the athletics, I don´t think that it is something so drastic. Thinking about the Winter Games, where the OC/CC is usually in a specific stadium and the flame is lit over there and stay there without any event going on, I can´t imagine why Rio should spend more to rebuild AGAIN the Maracana stadium just for the Olympics (but, in my dreams, it would be really nice to have a track and field at Maracana).

And for those who don´t know the city of Rio, for TV it is way better to host the ceremonies at Maracanã than Engenhão. The surroundings today are better and, if everything goes well, in 2016 it will be WAY better, plus better logistics.

The Port of Rio de Janeiro will receive R$ 3 billion in investment by 2016

The Port of Rio de Janeiro will receive around R$ 3 billion in investments by 2016, which should increase its capacity by 80%. The announcement was made today (Aug. 20) by the State Government. The funds will come from the private sector and all three levels of government (Federal, State and Municipal). The program, entitled "21st Century Port of Rio", includes dredging Guanabara Bay to receive larger ships, construction of a pier to expand the passenger terminal, and the renovation and construction of highways, railways and cargo terminals in the port area.

A pier with berths for up to seven ships will be built at the Port of Rio de Janeiro, to be partly ready for the World Cup in 2014, said the President of the Olympic Committee, Márcio Fortes. The aim is to increase accommodation capacity in the State capital during the large-scale events that Rio will be hosting. "There will be an offer of 10,000 rooms for 24,000 people, which will supplement the hotel accommodation capacity, with half that capacity being available for the World Cup", said Fortes. He assured that the work will be completed by the time of the Olympics.

http://www.4-traders...t-by--14469340/

Also, because of FIFA standards, it is recommended (or compulsory, I don´t remember right now) that, for the WC, football field should be as close as possible, without a track to separate.

I don't know whether there are FIFA standards also for that. But I know for certain it can't be compulsory to have a track-free stadium, because both Germany 2006 and South Africa 2010 had stadia with athletics tracks as World Cup venues (Germany had Berlin's Olympic Stadium, Stuttgart's Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion and Nuremberg's Frankenstadion, while South Africa had Rustenburg's Royal Bakofeng Stadium).

It seems for stadiums built exclusively for World Cup, FIFA recommends (it's not mandatory) stadiums withou athletics path.

Maracana can not receive a real-size athletic path, guys. It would reduce a lot the stadium capacity. Several seats in several rows would be removed to do that.

I'll make a drawing showing it. Maracana was built to be a football-only stadium. There is no room to change that.

I can´t imagine why Rio should spend more to rebuild AGAIN the Maracana stadium just for the Olympicstics.

It won't be rebuild, but some works will be done, for example, to place a cauldron inside/around the stadium. To place all wires in the roof for "flying things" during the ceremonies and this kind of stuff...

It's a six-month only period... No big refurbshments in the structure will be done.

Archived