Works in Progress

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who is the statue of outside the stadium? Looks like a footballer with the jules rimet trophy - is it pele?

It's Bellini, the captain of Brazilian squad in 1958 and 1962 World Cups.

He was the first footballer to rise the Jules Rimet trophy over the head, after some Brazilian photographers in Sweden 1958 asked him to do because, the moment he received the trophy was a bit chaotic.

ESP303070.JPG

20111108bellini1958.JPG

A Statue of Pele will be placed inside Maracana, the statue is already done, and will be placed soon.

estatua-de-pele-que-sera-inaugurada-junt

Nice... Maracana is stunning! :o Have you visited it Danny?

Not yet. Yesterday's event was closed to the Workers who rebuilt the stadium and some politicians.

But I'll be there in june for Mexico vs. Italy match in Confederations Cup!!!

And here the report made by TV Globo on the repopening. More than 9 minutes of footage of the new Maracanã!

the inside of maracana has a london-ish look to me. maybe it's because of the roof.

Yes... Also a Kiev-ish cuz of the sets.

Great Danny, you are very lucky too see the WC at home ;) As I repeat, that Mexico-Italy will be epic, Mexico tends to play better with stronger teams.

Btw... Cheer on Italy! Lol

Yes... Also a Kiev-ish cuz of the sets.

Great Danny, you are very lucky too see the WC at home ;) As I repeat, that Mexico-Italy will be epic, Mexico tends to play better with stronger teams.

Btw... Cheer on Italy! Lol

Thanks!

I'm sure it'll be one of the best matches in the first phase. Only Brazil-Italy will be more enthuasiatic (9 WC titles playing!!!)

I'll be supporting Mexico. Latin America first, except Argentina, always!

More pics of Maracana and some from internal areas

264389_449315961826176_957498805_n.jpg

946128_449315851826187_819332957_n.jpg

941926_449316048492834_490635578_n.jpg

banco_reservas_maracana_foto_marcelo_san

cadeira_maracana_foto_erica_ramalho_img_

acesso_maracana_foto_marcelo_santos_mfs_

acessos_maracana_foto_erica_ramalho_img_

camarote_corredor_maracana_foto_erica_ra

lounge_maracana_foto_erica_ramalho_img_1

catracas_maracana_foto_marcelo_santos_mf

placas_informacao_publico_maracana_foto_

vestiario_armarios_maracana_foto_erica_r

Looks good! I guess now that we can see the stadium, we can start having ideas on how it will look like for the ceremonies...

With some banners around containing the graphical identity of the games? :rolleyes:;)

As I said already in the World Cup "Stadium progress" thread (gee, it's really confusing that you Brazilians have to prepare for so many top-class sports events all at the same time! ;)): The lighting of the roof is very beautiful as well - and interesting, because it could be already the lighting also for the Olympic ceremonies. The red and blue lighting above very much reminds me of the red-white-and-blue lighting London used at parts of its opening ceremony (I believe, when they hoisted the Union Jack or when Team UK entered the stadium). However, Maracana now truly is a very dignified place to stage not only Confed Cup and World Cup matches, but also to welcome the world for the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic opening and closing ceremonies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching the first official game of the new Macaranã kinda reminded me of the atmosphere of Athens. The stadium looks colorful and vibrant, and yet, clean and "white"... Here are a couple of videos from broadcasts by Globo of games in Macaranã and Maracanãzinho.

Maracanã

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmtgajmzORc

Maracanãzinho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTzzRVup-ak

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know why the IOC didn't show this instead those random images of the city in 2020 election.

That was quite weird, indeed, used the sounds from OC in London with truly random images from Rio...

Outside of the Maracana Venue and the Barra's Olympic Park I didn't see much progress. They mix reality with rendered videos really well, tho. It creates the illusion that more was done. A video whose purpose is to show the progress should not mix the actual progress being presented with computed-made videos of what it'll look like after all is done.

But this government is great at marketing and factóides, so we should not expect any better.

Outside of the Maracana Venue and the Barra's Olympic Park I didn't see much progress. They mix reality with rendered videos really well, tho. It creates the illusion that more was done. A video whose purpose is to show the progress should not mix the actual progress being presented with computed-made videos of what it'll look like after all is done.

But this government is great at marketing and factóides, so we should not expect any better.

Apart on agreeing with marketing government, the city of Rio is full of works all around. Last time I've been there (a month ago) I was impressed on how many huge infra-structure works have been done in the city.

First, entering Linha Vermelha, the new bridges of BRT and new linking to Fundão Island, also the International Airport is in works as I saw during the Confederations Cup (still, slow works)

Then all the HUGEEEEEE works in the Port Area, indeed, part of Perimetral Highway was already demolished and a new Binário Avenue is on works and part open to traffic.

It's also visible the works of Subway Line 4 in Ipanema and arriving in Barra. The new Alvorada Terminal is almost done.

This is what I saw. There is much more if you get used to follow Skyscrapercity forums. I already posted tons of pictures of the works in the city, but nobody cares. It's better to belive in some statement made in the international media than in the images. It's pretty same with the World Cup. Fox comes and put a picture of Brasilia Stadium under works when the stadium is ready...

And with this I finish my participation in the forums for some time.

Tired of some arguments here. Tired of seeing people happy with bad news coming from Rio and Brazil.
That's disgusting and nasty.

Tired of a lot of things.

So, hope you guys enjoy and, please, keeping spreading the word on how Brazil suck as a country. Maybe you guys are right. Maybe you're not.

That's what I observed a week or so ago when you were try to counter-argument every foreigner on the Forum, Mr. Danny. To me that looked exhausting emotion-wise for someone as patriotic/neighborhood-odic (lol) as yourself.

I even said: "Poor Danny..." Then you came back with a ironic remark. Anyways I believe you make a wise decision. Things wont get any better from now on, quite the contrary in fact. You don't need to be the PR of Brazil to the GB fórum, Mr. Danny.

Things are delayed, other things will be delayed, Rio will face a lot of problems and after the World Cup the foreign press will be more ferociously on their critics and that's all fine. You can't change that, Mr. Danny.

The ones who could change it (the mayor, the government, the president) are corrupt fuckers that wont lose not even 1 minute of their sleep thinking about it. The Olympics will be done the Brazilian way and ain't nobody changing that. But we have to accept the critics and even criticize ourselves.

Anyways, I hope to see you back ASAP. Até logo, amigo.

You got me leaving, still a time for last remarks.

That's what I observed a week or so ago when you were try to counter-argument every foreigner on the Forum, Mr. Danny.

Since, this is forum, nothing wrong on defending your position and thoughts. Indeed, I still belive there are more bad will against Brazil than real spotted criticisms.

To me that looked exhausting emotion-wise for someone as patriotic/neighborhood-odic (lol) as yourself.

In fact I'm exhausted of people like you, who thinks you alone own the true facts, specially about Rio, a city you seems to hate and worse, know very little and does not visit regularly... Anyway, the Brazilian part of the forum is all yours. Now, you can detract all you want in the intensity you want. Be my guest!

I even said: "Poor Danny..." Then you came back with a ironic remark. Anyways I believe you make a wise decision. Things wont get any better from now on, quite the contrary in fact. You don't need to be the PR of Brazil to the GB fórum, Mr. Danny.

Poor Catra, lives in a country he hates... Anyway, it's not of my concern, as your said.

I do think media will play hard and unfair against Brazil. I work for the media I know how it work and yes, I don't want to be the attorney of Brazil... Neither you need to be the prosecutor...

Things are delayed, other things will be delayed, Rio will face a lot of problems and after the World Cup the foreign press will be more ferociously on their critics and that's all fine. You can't change that, Mr. Danny.

At least I tried to show media is exaggerating things. Nobody cares about this. In fact, media makes criticism this big because people like you love to detract everything, not matter how accurate are the cristicisms. In fact, many Brazilians criticizes everything. You are only one more.

Check that: there is never a good side in news reports...

Sad, I think some people would like to see other side of the story. Ledo engano. So, enjoy, Catra. There are a lot of foreigners here to share the opinion Brazil sucks so much as country and their own countries are so nice...

The ones who could change it (the mayor, the government, the president) are corrupt fuckers that wont lose not even 1 minute of their sleep thinking about it. The Olympics will be done the Brazilian way and ain't nobody changing that. But we have to accept the critics and even criticize ourselves.

I totally agree with you.

Anyways, I hope to see you back ASAP. Até logo, amigo.

Ok, Catra. Wishing the best, ALWAYS. Até logo.

See, you seem very taxed emotionally. The way you broke down a friendly post to reply to each phrase individually indicates that. In 2013 I believe I made less than 5 posts criticizing Rio, which is a low number, because I was occupied with other things.

Brazil got a lot of problems and lack of love from its inhabitants isn't one of them, Mr. Danny. We can't all reunite and "love more and more" the land we live to fix our problems. It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. Turning away from the problems wont solve anything aswell.

We should inform everyone about our problems, we shouldn't hide anything. It doesn't help us, quite the contrary. We should also accept valid and invalid criticism from foreign press, more than that: we should welcome the criticism with joy. We should protest and do any other thing that can target our politicians. Only then our governments will do it right. That's the way it works.

If we do nothing things will be even more delayed, more than the usual "brazilian way", that's unavoidable. Fortunately the foreign press will fire on all cylinders on the next couple of years. It'll be funny to see some of our politicians trying to answer them.

P.S. As a side result to the June protests the law about the destination of the Pre-Salt Oil Royalties just got approved. 75% from the royalties will go to education. That's just amazing. Education is what separates developed countries from undeveloped countries. Once the numbers of ignorants in our country diminishes, we'll have a much better country. To foreigners: that means more R$ 367 billions injected in the public system to improve the education in the next couple of decades. That's what really matters.

Criticism from foreigners even when they are wrong? Not so much

Archived