• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Among them: Rio's Olympic Swimming Center Rio's Olympic Velodrome Rio's Olympic Tennis Arena Better picture of Rio's Velodrome, in the shape of a cyclist helmut

Renders of Olympic and Paralympic Village unveiled. All condos will be sold after the games Details of the bathrooms Private Beach in Praia da Reserva, near Olympic Village

More at night WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before questions, there is nobody seated in the left side, that's why both LCD big screens are turned off to save energy - ecofriendly stuff... AND THIS

will Maracanyana host the 2014 finals?

Yes, it will.

And it will already host matches (including the final) at this summer's FIFA Confederations Cup. Therefore they are in quite a hurry to finish the stadium in time until May (the Confederations Cup takes place in June). So in fact, Maracana will be the focal point for no less than three global sports events within the next three years: The Confederations Cup (as "mini World Cup" and main test event for the FIFA World Cup), the FIFA World Cup and the Olympic Games. Even Mexico City's Azteca Stadium and Munich's Olympic Stadium didn't get that much exposure when they hosted "only" the Olympics and the subsequent World Cup in 1968/1970 respectively 1972/1974.

I find those pictures of the Olympic Village and Olympic Park to be really scary. Would've expected to see a lot more three years out.

Things go up very quickly, especially when there's an Olympic deadline.

Here's London's Olympic Village, July 09, for example; a little ahead of Rio as far as I can tell but not by much. I'm happier to go by the noises coming out of the IOC and the IFs than trying to judge photos...and from what we've heard it sounds like they're just about on schedule but it's tight.

3789267317_13b13fc26b_b.jpg

Edited by RobH

Back to the cauldron situation. Or, Rio could stage another mini-torch run from the Maracanyana cauldron to the the Opening day of T&F at the Havelange, with all the Carnavale hoopla they can muster. I don't think there's anything in the IOC charter that bans that.

• 4 weeks later...

Among them:

537779_398940460204390_550484499_n.jpg

Rio's Olympic Swimming Center

cetroaquatico.jpg

Rio's Olympic Velodrome

velodromo.jpg

Rio's Olympic Tennis Arena

centro.jpg

Better picture of Rio's Velodrome, in the shape of a cyclist helmut

894967_399462083485561_1838285710_o.jpg

• Like 3

London's is a permanent Aquatics Centre but it had large amounts of temporary seating during the Olympics.

Is the handball arena a temporary structure?

Also, is that velodrome wooden like London's was or some kind of copper?

London's is a permanent Aquatics Centre but it had large amounts of temporary seating during the Olympics.

Is the handball arena a temporary structure?

Also, is that velodrome wooden like London's was or some kind of copper?

1 - Exactly, Rio's Swimming Center will be totally temporary, after the games, everything will be removed. The city of Rio will keep only Maria Lenk Aquatic Center. This venue is big enough for Rio's needs.

2 - Not sure, it seems in the renders (because of the texts), all the venue will be converted in 4 public schools after the games.

3 - I read somewhere it will be wooden track

:)

I also don't like the aquatics centre. Is this the final design? The other venues are great.

It seems it is the final design. I don't like it either, but it's not bad at all. For sure, other venues will be much more nice than this one about design.

1 - Exactly, Rio's Swimming Center will be totally temporary, after the games, everything will be removed. The city of Rio will keep only Maria Lenk Aquatic Center. This venue is big enough for Rio's needs.

2 - Not sure, it seems in the renders (because of the texts), all the venue will be converted in 4 public schools after the games.

3 - I read somewhere it will be wooden track

1. So it looks like Rio is going to take London's Crown of having the largest temporary structure for an Olympic Games. Our 12k seat basketball arena was the record holder but I assume the Rio Aquatics Centre will be at least 15k. Be interesting to see how it compares to London's temporary structures. At first glance the two look pretty similar.

2. That sounds like a very neat legacy arrangement. No point keeping venues that aren't needed.

3. Not sure if joking or not.....I meant the cladding on the outside, not the track! Because if it is wood, again, it's very similar to London's - wooden cladding, curved roof, 360 degree panoramic window running all the way around. But I can't tell from the render what material the outside is meant to be!

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

It seems Rio 2016 is really thinking about legacy. Specially some big arguments again Mr. Nuzman (Brazilian NOC president and Rio 2016 president) about White elephants and idle venus after Rio 2007 PanAms, some are really unfair arguments.

Somehow, the goal is to remove any unneeded venue from Rio after the Olympics to avoid this again.

3. Not sure if joking or not.....I meant the cladding on the outside, not the track! Because if it is wood, again, it's very similar to London's - wooden cladding, curved roof, 360 degree panoramic window running all the way around. But I can't tell from the render what material the outside is meant to be!

No clue, got no information from Brazilian archtecture forums, sorry...

no new shape...? :(

10814653.jpg

Why not keep good ideas?

A little bit more context on these new renders from Carrara on SSC:

The Velodrome will have 5.000 permanent seats and 1.000 temporary ones.

The Aquatic Centre will host swimming and syncronized swimming and will be a temporary venue with 18.000 seats. The only information I know about the legacy mode is that it might be transformed in smaller pools to be installed in public schools.

The Tennis Centre will include a permanent arena for 10.000 spectators and two another temporary ones, with 5.000 and 3.000 seats. Besides 13 courts (7 for competitions and 6 for training and warm-up). The legacy mode will include the main arena and 7 courts which will host tennis events (such as Rio's Open 500 which will debut in 2014)

The Handball Arena will have 12.000 seats and after the games it will be transformed in 4 public schools.

• Like 1