Works in Progress

I don't know whether there are FIFA standards also for that. But I know for certain it can't be compulsory to have a track-free stadium, because both Germany 2006 and South Africa 2010 had stadia with athletics tracks as World Cup venues (Germany had Berlin's Olympic Stadium, Stuttgart's Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion and Nuremberg's Frankenstadion, while South Africa had Rustenburg's Royal Bakofeng Stadium).

And Durban, even if they were covered and hidden. As far as I can tell, 2014 will be the first time that a World Cup is played purely in football stadiums. The problem with large stadiums with athletics track is that outside of Olympic Games and Athletics World Championships they are nowadays pretty much waste, usually rejected for football use.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^At least half of the first tier should be removed to add an official-sized 9-lane athletics path, plus some space to "workers/volunteer area", according to some people in Skyscrapercity...

And, after all, Rio already have a nice Athletic Stadium, considered by IAAF one of the top-10 in the globe. Why have another huge athletics stadium in the city?

I made a raw composition using Google Earth at the same scale to show how impossible is it to place an official Athletic Path in Maracana.

Almost all the first tier would be demolished, reducing the capacity of the stadium to 40,000 to 50,000 (less than IOC asks for the games).

maracaathletics.jpg

I can´t imagine why Rio should spend more to rebuild AGAIN the Maracana stadium just for the Olympics

Confirmed. It won't be rebuilt or even have "structure works".

It'll be closed for works looking for the ceremonies... And the money for this is already reserved.

http://blogs.lancenet.com.br/rio2016/2012/08/22/o-maracana-para-2016-vai-estar-pronto/

(In Portuguese only)

This journalist is very close to everything about the games in Rio, maybe, the only to give real trustable news about the games.

A must-read for those worried with the games.

I do expect some problems or delays in works, but as everything in Brazil, all will be done in time (even if "time" means really close to the games :rolleyes:).

Olympic Park, International Airport worry me a bit so far, but still plenty time to finish both and both are already under works.

Golf Course is a problem easily to solve (if that place can not be used, just select another place as venue)...

Maracana Stadium

late August 2012

7854448292_901f21983a_c.jpg

7854448874_2cbcd8bfa2_c.jpg

7854453548_0b0c00f69d_c.jpg

7854456946_31596fda7d_c.jpg

7854459440_5b65c6fb58_c.jpg

7854468452_5e9fcfeb85_c.jpg

7854456026_7625e39028_c.jpg

And exactly one year ago, with all the international media talking about delays and "worries" on delivering the stadium...

demolicao-da-cobertura-13.jpg

Video footage made recently by TV Globo

http://globotv.globo.com/sportv/sportvnews/v/obras-do-maracana-entram-em-fase-final-e-novas-cadeiras-ja-podem-ser-vistas-em-exposicao/2095725/

New subway train (made in China :unsure:) making its first commercial trip.

And the new (also Chinese) train working in the suburban lines.

This will be the train linking South Zone/Downtown to Deodoro and Joao Havelange Stadium

Joao Havelange Olympic Stadium (a.k.a. Engenhão)

Works starts in 2013 to place new stands behind the goals, to reach 60,000 capacity

Already certified by IAAF as a World Class venue for athletics

11018356.jpeg

Sambadrome (works finished)

Home of Marathon finish and Archery

Picture from February 2012

21RA724.jpg

Maracanazinho Arena (Maracana Stadium complex)

Minor upgrade works in locker rooms needed

Already certified by FIVB as Olympic venue

vol_maracanazinho_vip950.jpg

HSBC Arena Rio (probably will be renamed back to "Arena Olímpica do Rio" during the games)

already built/no works needed for Olympic Games

Home of Gymnastics

383_arqui61_pag52a56-5.jpg

Its always been on the side?

I don't think it so. Look at London:

Here's Beijing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePmIlWqUTI4

The side stands block off the wind; but they added a full set of stands at the back because that provides the optimum views PLUS major cameras are placed behind the archers.

So, not unless they will be adding a set of stands behind the archers in Rio. And let the women's marathon finish a little shorter BEHIND the temporary rear stands for Archery which could then be taken down for the Men's finish, all the way up to the end of the venue??

No in London it was on both sides. It wasn´t like shown in that video from the test event.

http://en.wikipedia....€"_Men.jpg

They didn't seat spectators in the back end?? How bizarre.

Look at Athens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cGdlZ71Kd0&playnext=1&list=PL126952605E22A524&feature=results_video

The rounded end of the Panathinaikos held the press. But spectators were placed on one side because that was the shaded side--NOT facing the sun.

Archery will take place in Apotheosis Square, at the open end of the Sambadrome. The place was used as a rehersal venue for Rio 2007 OC and it's big enough have temporary seats behind the archers.

Ah, OK, it makes sense now. They can reverse the direction of competition; by closing off the open end, with stands; then have the archers shoot the long way in. And then still use the closed end for the 2 Marathon finishes by just removing the targets of the archery competition. Got it. A little complicated but if you turn things around, it all fits into place. I guess exactly how Athens did it; except theirs was a permanent stand.

It's looking awesome - already laying plans to visit in 2016 - part of an extended south American visit! Most of my friends are planning to go to rio - the olympics really touched everyone here & everyone loves a party & rio IS party central! It's gonna be fabulous & don't let the naysayers put you off!

It's looking awesome - already laying plans to visit in 2016 - part of an extended south American visit! Most of my friends are planning to go to rio - the olympics really touched everyone here & everyone loves a party & rio IS party central! It's gonna be fabulous & don't let the naysayers put you off!

Please, if you come, let us know. We are planning to make some GBidders meeting in Rio to celebrate the games South-American way!

The same is valid to any of our friends here who are planing to come to Rio in 2016!

Archived