Works in Progress

This Canadian is VERY impressed with some of the work that I see being done. Everything looks so new and modern. :o at the work on the favelas too! They look completely transformed, granted I'm sure they won't all look like that come games time. I'm wondering though about Maracana, there still looks like there is a LOT of work that needs to be done. Is it going to be ready in time?

What about building the Olympic Park? Will that all be ready and good to go? I've heard some stories about lagging on preparation and construction. The last thing Rio needs is to be doing everything last-minute ala Athens.

I hope that these games will leave a lasting legacy for the people of Rio. And that it improves to better lives for those who may not be leading the best lives now.

Fingers crossed Brazil will have a succesful games!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering though about Maracana, there still looks like there is a LOT of work that needs to be done. Is it going to be ready in time?

I believe if there's one thing people should not to be worried about is the Maracana Stadium. It's schedule to receive the world cup final in 2014, that's 2 years before the opening ceremonies. It was also reported last week the stadium will be closed from april to august 2016 for preparations for the opening ceremony, that should be enough time to make any necessary arrangements for the OC.

About the lack of an athletic track in the stadium and worries about lack of space for the atletes, I think we should take a look at how it was done in 2007 during the Panam OC. If they did it back then, there's no reason they won't do it again in 2016.

I am not trolling at all and this has nothing to do with Rio being ready. The difference between Rio and London... and Beijing, Athens, Sydney, Atlanta, Barcelona, Seoul and Rio is that all of them had a running track, Rio does not. Hence my question. If athletes stand I believe there will be no space, because of the absence of the running track.

Oh, I got what you mean... I don't think this is a huge problem, since most of the "artistic act" of the OC happens before the Parade of Nations, so, when the athletes are in the middle of the pitch, nothing really big will happen.

About torch bearers running around the stadium, even London reduced a lot this part... And the relay can happen in a corridor in the middle of the athletes.

I don't think this is really a problem.

This Canadian is VERY impressed with some of the work that I see being done. Everything looks so new and modern. :o at the work on the favelas too! They look completely transformed, granted I'm sure they won't all look like that come games time. I'm wondering though about Maracana, there still looks like there is a LOT of work that needs to be done. Is it going to be ready in time?

What about building the Olympic Park? Will that all be ready and good to go? I've heard some stories about lagging on preparation and construction. The last thing Rio needs is to be doing everything last-minute ala Athens.

I hope that these games will leave a lasting legacy for the people of Rio. And that it improves to better lives for those who may not be leading the best lives now.

Fingers crossed Brazil will have a succesful games!

The Olympic Park delayed it's begining of works (as always in Brazil), due judicial suits and stupid bureaucracy. But, when the government is cleared to begin things follows the time schedule most of times.

Olympic Park already started its works and have enough time to be completed.

Rio have been changed a lot... For the first time, the city have a plan that is happening and chaning the city.

The works in Port Area already worthed all efforts to bring the games.

Not all favelas will be refurbshed for the Olympic, but key ones, located near venues or those with touristic interest (yes, there is things to see there about music, culture...).

There is something good about this, since people is encouraged to upgrade and keep their homes... The city will change a lot.

Maracana MUST be ready for Confederations Cup, June 2013. So, not big worries about Olympic Games there.

Oh, I got what you mean... I don't think this is a huge problem, since most of the "artistic act" of the OC happens before the Parade of Nations, so, when the athletes are in the middle of the pitch, nothing really big will happen.

About torch bearers running around the stadium, even London reduced a lot this part... And the relay can happen in a corridor in the middle of the athletes.

I don't think this is really a problem.

Thank you. That is what I was saying and you spun it into a circle thinking I was trolling I was not. :P

^^And I ask apologies if I was rude. :D

I think Maracana will show a very different OC in terms of logistics for the artistic part...

Somehow, the events will be happening near to the crowd.

Although, it will be spetacular for those who attend the show.

I saw a live shot earlier from the beach in Rio - and all I can say is WOW. The city looks beautiful, and I hope in 2016 I can visit these games. While I am sad to see London 2012 come to an end, i'm excited to see what Brazil and Rio can bring to the Olympic movement. Also, I am sure we will see the Brazilian medal count in Rio far surpass their current London tally. The regeneration of the favelas, is massive, and I'm so glad the IOC chose Rio to host.

I saw a live shot earlier from the beach in Rio - and all I can say is WOW. The city looks beautiful, and I hope in 2016 I can visit these games. While I am sad to see London 2012 come to an end, i'm excited to see what Brazil and Rio can bring to the Olympic movement. Also, I am sure we will see the Brazilian medal count in Rio far surpass their current London tally. The regeneration of the favelas, is massive, and I'm so glad the IOC chose Rio to host.

I'm thinking about make a "Reception Committee" for GBidders coming to Rio, indeed, because the best way to know Rio is with a carioca (and this is valid for all the big cities in the planet).

Rio have been making a lot of changes, I think IOC started a movement that could lead Rio and Brazil to better standards in a future... The Olympic Games will be the first step hence Brazil have looooooooooots to do reach some developing nation standard in an average.

I'm glad you guys liked the pics. ASAP, I'll post more works Rio is making for Rio 2016 and World Cup 2014.

Michelle, my car is still a Peugeot, and the next one will be too!

;)

To give you guys an idea on how much Rio have been in works since 2 years, some pics...

Downtown Rio new commercial building and retrofits in ALL old houses around. Also renewing all streets around it

WLVnz.jpg

Many old buildings in Rio's Downtown are under works. The goal is to show how beautiful was Rio Downtown during 1920-30 (The carioca Belle Epoque)

Judiciary Law School of Rio de Janeiro State, just reopened

20072012Emerj.jpg

The new Art Museum of Rio (it will be two buildings: one new and modern and the other retrofited - people in Brazil likes these kind of contrast)

IMG_1720-1.jpg

This highway/avenue was rebuilt and is part of second BRT line (Transcarioca linking - Intl Airport to Barra). Transcarioca regular traffic is already built in some parts.

BRT is expected to be operational mid-2013

This "underground passage" reduced a lot traffic jams in this neighbourhood - Campinho

MergulhodeCampinho.jpg

New Accor Hotel in Botafogo neighbourhood.

More than 40 hotels are under works in Rio just by now.

O7tAY.jpg

This old and charming hotel is expected to be the first 6-stars of South America

Gloria Palace Hotel

Expected to be opened in june 2014

TdVcp.jpg

Santiago Calatrava's design

Tomorrow's Museum, the most modern museum in Brazil

Expected to be opened in Jan 2014

PxlRe.jpg

^^

The bridge in the first plan will be demolished early 2013 - and all Port Area traffic will be underground like in this render:

112_1611-principal.jpg

Already under works.

He is talking about the World Cup (in two years) that really have delayed works.

The Olympic Games ARE ENTIRELY on time.

How I hate BBC and its biased jouralism against Brazil...

He is talking about the World Cup (in two years) that really have delayed works.

The Olympic Games ARE ENTIRELY on time.

How I hate BBC and its biased jouralism against Brazil...

Danny, the BBC is not misquoting Pele, these are his words - not the BBC's.

I expect Brazil and Rio will be ready in time, problems can be resolved. But the BBC have not shown any bias or unfair comment on this article that I can see.

"People are saying it will be easy, but I do not think it will be - we have only two years," he added

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19214564

Last time I checked we're in 2012, the Olympic Games will be in 2016... I really think he is talking about the World Cup, that really have delays in constructions and some issues to be solved...

Rio 2016 have all the works on schedule.

A less-biased report from Associated Press, indeed poiting the challenges Rio must face.

The report is over last visit of IOC to Rio in July

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ifLEdnP8u8YXUHt8HTxDVzl4Hu3g?docId=909a54828d2143d8b6c0eb0f00950a0a

BBC is doing "mess" with information about Brazil AGAiIN.

Biritish is paying expensive for poor journalism.

This is Ponte do Saber, the new bridge connecting Federal University of Rio de Janeiro campus to Red Line (the highway linking Intl Airport to Downtown/South Zone)

Inaugurated February 2012

784776.jpg

784758.jpg

Archived