At the heart of Annecy

neige

In the heart of mountains for a real winter atmosphere.

In the heart of Annecy historical center for a festive atmosphere (ice events, cultural events in pedestrian olympic zone,opening closing and medals ceremonies).

In the heart of people for a warm popular fervor (30.000 people at the announcement of Annecy candidate city, 135.000 fans on facebook, 250.000 spectators at the 2009 world championships).

249446_118658134885643_100002243716207_168082_5538838_n.jpg

248696_118658468218943_100002243716207_168085_884780_n.jpg

255153_118657824885674_100002243716207_168079_2213089_n.jpg

253427_118657961552327_100002243716207_168080_3030824_n.jpg

Freestyle skiing and snowboard just above Annecy...

247156_118658638218926_100002243716207_168087_5837260_n.jpg

Nordic events at the heart of Annecy mountains villages...

249898_118658044885652_100002243716207_168081_6988486_n.jpg

Ski jumping and cross country skiing at the heart of La Clusaz village

253710_118668854884571_100002243716207_168273_6864797_n.jpg

Biathlon at the heart of Le grand-Bornand village

Welcome to Annecy 2018

La CLusaz village, authentic atmosphere in the heart of mountains 5 min from le Grand Bornand

laclusaz.jpg

seminaire-cohesion-la-clusaz.jpg

La Clusaz Ski resort, map plan

la-clusaz.jpg

Le Grand Bornand village, authentic atmosphere in the heart of mountains 5 min from La Clusaz

040PAYSGBOH08.jpg

les-residences-du-village-hiver-19133.jpg

Le Grand Bornand ski resort, map plan

le-grand-bornand.jpg

Snow and Ice: Annecy is fully engaged for winter sports in France.

The powerful French Skiing Federation (including all olympic snow sports) is located in ....Annecy.

Annecy hosted the figures skating clubs french championships in 2011, April.

For the second consecutive year, the winning club is...Annecy.

Annecy hosted the short track french championships in 2010, december.

In short track, 2 skaters get very good results at international level:

Maxime Chataignier : winner of the world cup 1500m

Thibaut Fauconnet : winner of the world cup 1000m, second of the world cup 500m.

In speed skating, Alexis Contin also gets good results: 4th (5000m) and 10th (1500m ) at the world championships.

These results are very encouraging in a country that had no tradition in speed skating.

There isn't any ice oval in France! french skaters have to go abroad for training...

The new ice oval in Annecy would be the main legacy of the 2018 games. It would become the National Ice Center for all ice sports athletes.

• 2 weeks later...

In the heart of Annecy historical center for a festive atmosphere!

More than 150.000 spectators would attend the opening ceremony (42.000 in the open stadium and more than 100.000 on the lake shore).

There will be a big show every evening in the stadium for the medal ceremony...

And then, restaurants and bistrots...the nation square for cultural events....the fest at the heart of the historical center!

215735_105901276161329_100002243716207_56468_4548734_n.jpg

Annecy will win because we have the best bid to 2018 race... ;)

Annecy did not have the best bid during the Applicant stage. However, they listened to the IOC's concerns and modified their bid as shown in the Candidate Books (which I own a copy of :P), to be more compact than originally proposed. The fact that they are willing to change and not be so arrogant in their proposals shows a good aspect of their bid, the ability to listen.

However, had there been more quality bidders, it's very likely that Annecy would have been eliminated from the Candidate stage (rendering all arguments for them useless), or they would have made it but scored the bare minimum of 6.0, whilst other bidders are in the 7's range or in Munich's case, possibly the 8's range.

Simply put, be grateful that Annecy is still even in the race and they have a reasonable chance of winning yes, but it would most likely thanks to the sympathy card.

Annecy did not have the best bid during the Applicant stage. However, they listened to the IOC's concerns and modified their bid as shown in the Candidate Books (which I own a copy of :P), to be more compact than originally proposed. The fact that they are willing to change and not be so arrogant in their proposals shows a good aspect of their bid, the ability to listen.

However, had there been more quality bidders, it's very likely that Annecy would have been eliminated from the Candidate stage (rendering all arguments for them useless), or they would have made it but scored the bare minimum of 6.0, whilst other bidders are in the 7's range or in Munich's case, possibly the 8's range.

Simply put, be grateful that Annecy is still even in the race and they have a reasonable chance of winning yes, but it would most likely thanks to the sympathy card.

The ioc should actually be grateful Annecy did decide to bid.

It's not as if candidate cities were falling over themselves to host the 2018 games!

The ioc would have been a laughing stock if only 2 cities were in the running.

They probably heaved a sigh of relief when we did decide to go ahead.......

It's not as if candidate cities were falling over themselves to host the 2018 games!

If CIO want more 2 or 3 bid cities in the future, they have need to show whom are able to choose a bid less expensive and enormous than previous bid... If IOC continue, we won't have medium size bid like Osterdun, Lillehammer, Sion... And the big cities which is possible to host WoG are limited around the world.

Wrong. It's the Commonwealth Games Federation who are the ones that should be grateful for their two bids. As for the IOC, they would have been logical had they eliminated Annecy for their Application plan, but decided to give them another shot. Being only 3 bid cities was just a minor factor. If Annecy and the region really did lack, the IOC would have to eliminate them and tell them to stop wasting their money and time and to come back in 4 years time for a 2022 bid.

Laughing stock? What laughing stock? Look at 1988's bid with Nagoya and Seoul. I guess the IOC would have been surprised than an Australian bid didn't eventuate, considering it was our bicentennial and all.

As I've said before in other threads, the main reason why there are only 3 bidders for 2018 is due to the simple reason of geography. Previous applicant bidders like Sarajevo, Almaty, Sofia & Borjomi obviously can see that their chances of success for them putting forth a 2018 bid would've been dismal at best because of nearby Sochi (geographically speaking) hosting 2014.

And the U.S. didn't bid because they were just exhausted from the previous 2 losing summer bids & were much more focused & dedicated at the time with their 2016 summer bid than toying with the idea of a 2018 winter possibility. The same could probably be said of Jaca/Zaragossa with their NOC also having mounted 2 consecutive losing summer bids. And Italy wasn't bidding cause they just hosted with Turin in 2006 & are more interested in a Summer Olympics next in Rome.

So it's not because nobody didn't want to bid for 2018. These places had/have their priorities in check first before they were willing to spend millions on a campaign that more than likely would've been fruitless anyway. And it's obvious that some NOC's are not as smart nor frugal as others. I'm sure we'll see most, if not all of these cities/NOC's, back in the fray for 2022. The IOC obviously doesn't have to be "grateful" to anyone, & that's evident.

Geography? I thought the recent Global Financial Crisis had played its' part in this whole bid process. I assume those 2014 bidders, knowing their woes in not making the Candidate Stage thought it would be logical to take a break.

Wrong. It's the Commonwealth Games Federation who are the ones that should be grateful for their two bids. As for the IOC, they would have been logical had they eliminated Annecy for their Application plan, but decided to give them another shot. Being only 3 bid cities was just a minor factor. If Annecy and the region really did lack, the IOC would have to eliminate them and tell them to stop wasting their money and time and to come back in 4 years time for a 2022 bid.

Laughing stock? What laughing stock? Look at 1988's bid with Nagoya and Seoul. I guess the IOC would have been surprised than an Australian bid didn't eventuate, considering it was our bicentennial and all.

The fact that the ioc gave Annecy "another shot" only goes to show how desperate it was for the bidding process to be anything other than a two horse race.

Perhaps it may not have been a laughing stock, granted, but it certainly would have been ridiculed by such a small turnout.

Deep, deep down Rogge and his gang are probably thinking "Merci Annecy"!

And "deep, deep down" Annecy & their bandwagon are also probably thinking "Merci, IOC!"

Cause like David pointed out, had the 2018 field have at least just ONE other quality bidder, Annecy more than likely would've been shoved to the wayside with their initial, way spread out, venue plan.

Obviously, Annecy WANTS the Games, or otherwise they wouldn't be bidding. So it's not like they're doing the IOC any direct favors. Annecy's doing it for their own self-interests.

Geography? I thought the recent Global Financial Crisis had played its' part in this whole bid process. I assume those 2014 bidders, knowing their woes in not making the Candidate Stage thought it would be logical to take a break.

Well, yeah, geography. Don't you think that Sochi played into the minds of Almaty, Sarajevo, Sofia & Borjomi. And whoever else in the Easter Europe vicinity.

And yeah, the recession also played it's part. Which is what I also meant by "frugal" & some of these NOC's had their priorities in check first & were not willing to spend the time & millions on a campaign that wasn't going to turn out in their favor anyway.

But on the other side of the token, you still had places like Reno wanting to bid. Had the USOC given the green light for 2018, Reno would've been right there, up front, with bid in hand.

Had the USOC given the green light for 2018, Reno would've been right there, up front, with bid in hand.

I'm guessing things might just all click into place for Reno for 2022 in terms of the hard venues:

My guesses:

- Mackay Stadium - (Opening & Closing; currently 31k; can probably be expanded to 45k)

- temporary new stadium (a la London basketbal arena - figure skating (20-21,000)

- a new long-track speedskating stadium (8,000 seats)

- Rodeo arena or Reno Events Center (9,000 ea) - Curling

- Lawlor Events Center - short-track skating (11,000)

- and the 2 stadia in Sacramento (the present ARCO Arena & the proposed NEW KINGS arena) - for ice hockey. (So Sacramento State dorms might serve as the Hockey-only village.)

(or some of these can still be switched around.)

Reno Convention Center can be the IBC. (USA Fencing is holding its 2011 national championships there next weekend.)

And it looks like there are one or two other smaller halls to spare.

OUtdoor venues Needed: - a new bobsled/luge run

- new ski-jumping bowl

Main Village will be the UN-Reno campus with upgraded & expanded dorms.

So there, as far as existing venues, the Reno-Tahoe area has like 70% of the venues built. With 11 years, that is plenty of time to get things in place.

Athensf - the above is just my conjecture...if I were to do it.

Cause like David pointed out, had the 2018 field have at least just ONE other quality bidder, Annecy more than likely would've been shoved to the wayside with their initial, way spread out, venue plan.

Perhaps.

But the reality is that there was/is NO other quality bidder.

So I stand by my original point........

Fair enough. But again the lack of bidders this time around had/has to do with some NOC's simply gauging their chances & not necessarily because they "weren't falling over themselves to bid". Again, had the USOC given the okay to bid for example, Reno would be in the 2018 mix, too. I'm sure for 2022, we'll have plenty of applicants abound.

But you make it seem like somehow the IOC should be eternally indebted simply cause Annecy decided to throw it's hat in the ring to begin with. Again, Annecy's not doing this to give the IOC any favors. Annecy WANTS these Games just as much as Munich & PyeongChang do, & as much as Reno would've wanted them, too. So lets not embellish on how the IOC should give Annecy "merci" because they were so "desperate" for takers in this race, because that's not necessarily an accurate assessment.

Archived