105 members have voted

1. 1. Should Blatter resign?

• No
    • Yes
  2. 2. Should the elections for 2018 and 2022 be repeated?

• No
    • Yes (both)
    • Yes (only 2018)
    • Yes (only 2022)
    • No, but the country, which bidded but lost, should host the next ones
  3. 3. Should the bribery scandal be investigated by public authorities?

• No - the FIFA ethic council will handle that perfectly
    • Yes - the FIFA isn't able to handle it "in the family"

Funnily enough they didn't had a problem with the corruption at FIFA when they robbed germany blind in 1966.

What did FIFA do to Germany in 1966?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so the english press like to speculate a lot but as baron asked, when will we see the "smoking gun" documents? where are all the documents proving their accusations? Do they have it? Come on... This

Or Tony, you could *not* go on. That would be better, wouldn't it?

Shut the hell up. Honestly. Just shut up and leave.

England's bad relations with FIFA date back to the foundation of the organization and the World Cup. By the time the British entered international competitions they had been caught and even surpassed by others and since then it has been a matter of sour grapes especially for English. Not sure how much of it has to do with present mess but you can't completely ignore the past.

The 1966 WC was probably a corrupt one but not an exception as the hosts have a tradition of being able to count on a "helping hand".

That goal is neither here nor there. If the official hadn't blown that call, England could have still won. Or Germany could have won. We won't know, so it is mute.

I have followed FIFA since I joined here back in 2004, and the only really interesting/public incident prior to the 2018 vote was that the English FA had broken a gentlemen's agreement within UEFA to only put forward one candidate (Germany). I think there is some resentment over Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England competing seperatly within FIFA. But it is not unique to FIFA (I believe it is also the case in field hockey and is also the case in curling). And in truth, competing together would have probably produced better British teams, then the singular English team.

As it stands. If the 2018 vote was truly above board and without corruption, Russia would have probably won. I think the market, the footballing history in Russian/Soviet Union and the feeling like Soviet Union was probably very unluckly to not have won a World Cup made a strong case for Russia. I thought Russia would win from the moment they entered the race.

As for 2022, if it had been without corruption I think the Americans would have won. I believe that Blatter did not want Qatar to win and it was used as a method to undercut his leadership by those that did not want him to continue to be president.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

FIFA wants Teixeira replaced ‘immediately’ as Brazilian official resigns seat on ruling panel

GENEVA — The South American soccer confederation is being told it must act “immediately” to find a replacement for Ricardo Teixeira on FIFA’s executive committee.

Teixeira resigned his seat on world soccer’s governing body for “personal reasons” without elaborating on Monday, one week after leaving as president of Brazil’s soccer body and the 2014 World Cup organizing committee, citing unspecified health problems.

FIFA said its statutes require the South American body, known as CONMEBOL, to move quickly.

“CONMEBOL will now have to decide immediately on the replacement of Ricardo Teixeira as one of their representatives on the FIFA executive committee for the remaining period of office,” FIFA said in a statement.

FIFA’s 24-member ruling panel chaired by President Sepp Blatter meets next week in Zurich, though the embattled Teixeira was not expected to attend.

The 64-year-old Brazilian skipped the previous meeting of FIFA’s high command, held in Tokyo in December, when Blatter had hoped to publish a Swiss court document relating to a scandal involving million-dollar kickbacks from World Cup broadcasting deals in the 1990s.

Teixeira is widely reported to be implicated in the scandal, but publication of the dossier was delayed because of a legal process brought by unidentified parties before Switzerland’s supreme court.

Teixeira had two years left on the elected post he held since 1994 representing the 10 South American soccer nations at FIFA.

CONMEBOL has three FIFA seats and traditionally elects one member from each of Brazil and Argentina.

It could send an interim replacement to Zurich for the March 29-30 session, until an election can be held.

FIFA’s executive committee already has one interim member and a vacant seat.

Asia has sent Chinese official Zhang Jilong in place of its confederation president Mohamed bin Hammam, who was banned for life by FIFA in an election bribery scandal last year.

Bin Hammam can’t be formally replaced until his appeal challenging the ban is decided by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. The Qatari official will face FIFA in the Lausanne, Switzerland, court on April 18-19.

FIFA is also without a Caribbean delegate, as the CONCACAF confederation has not replaced disgraced former president Jack Warner who resigned all of his soccer duties last June to avoid investigation alongside Bin Hammam in the bribery scandal.

AP

http://www.washingto...aIOS_story.html

• 2 months later...

FIFA announce first woman as Executive Board member.

Ms Lydia Nsekera , President of the Burundi Football Association and a member of the FIFA Committee for Women’s Football and the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ and the FIFA Organising Committee for the Olympic Football Tournaments, has been co-opted on to the FIFA Executive Committee. Ms Nsekera will be installed at the 2012 FIFA Congress. The formal election of a woman representative on the Executive Committee will be held in 2013 once the new FIFA Statutes have come into force. This decision follows the proposal made by the FIFA President at last year’s Congress

FIFA

Anita DeFrantz, the senior U.S. member on the IOC as well as chair of its Women and Sport Commission, delivered the longest speech of the night. She also drew the healthiest round of applause from the 750 delegates representing 140 countries – and the night's only boos.

“In 1996, there were only four international federations that had women among their executive board members,” she said. “Over the years, we've reached a single number – one IF that has never had a woman on its governing board.

“Yes, I will name that federation. It's football,” she added to a handful of jeers, the audience clearly behind her.

http://aroundthering...w.aspx?id=39232

So they've caught up with the rest of the world. Belated congratulations to FIFA I suppose.

Edited by RobH

Anita DeFrantz, the senior U.S. member on the IOC as well as chair of its Women and Sport Commission, delivered the longest speech of the night. She also drew the healthiest round of applause from the 750 delegates representing 140 countries – and the night's only boos.

“In 1996, there were only four international federations that had women among their executive board members,” she said. “Over the years, we've reached a single number – one IF that has never had a woman on its governing board.

“Yes, I will name that federation. It's football,” she added to a handful of jeers, the audience clearly behind her.

http://aroundthering...w.aspx?id=39232

So they've caught up with the rest of the world. Belated congratulations to FIFA I suppose.

Wait...this /\/\/\ is from FEBRUARY 2012 yet. It is NOT from SportAccord in Quebec.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just hope they are going to change the voting procedure and the voters, don't have anything against thoses countries (and i understand that every continent should have at least a couple of voters) but i can't see why people from Papua New Guinea, Guatemala, Thailand, Cyprus, Sri Lanka & Jordan or Qatar decided the winner with only 22 voters.

They should get at least a few Italians members and more Brazilians, Dutch or Germans voters into this.

• 3 weeks later...

I see Nothing, I mean Zilch wrong with Russia Hosting any event they want to and if they have the facilities to Host such an event, than they should. People need to get over the Cold War, this whole 'War on Russia' mentality is not only outdated, but rather it's also discriminatory.

Personally, I'd like to see an 'Eastern' Nation Finally Host a WC or any major event for that matter. If Germany, and other nations of the 'West' can host a couple World Cups in their Respected Countries andf histories than why should Russia, Greece, or Serbia not be able to? I mean so long as they have the facilities and infrastructure to do it, than so be it.

Time will only tell how Brasil will do with Hosting the Mens FIFA 2014 World Cup. If I'm not mistaken, In 2022, Isn't the Cup going to some Arab Nation with a very Hot climate? I'd be just as worried about going to either Brasil or an Arab Nation where the weather and Heat can exceed over 100 than I would be going to Russia, to be quite honest with you.

2022 should go to either Australia, Holland, Italy, Greece or CANADA,. Italy and while they have Hosted it once or twice before, still has a beautiful Country and a tourist Hot spot for sure.

The Womans 2019 FIFA World Cup should go to Japan (Great Candidate given their Love for their National Team) or some South American Nation since No, zilch Nations in South America have hosted a Womans World Cup as of yet.

FIFA to look at 2018, 2022 World Cup winning bid

BERLIN — Michael Garcia, the newly-appointed joint chief investigator of FIFA's ethics committee, has said the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar respectively will come under scrutiny.

Garcia of the USA and Hans-Joachim Eckert of Germany were appointed joint chairmen of the Ethics Committee during FIFA's extraordinary meeting in Zurich in July.

The awarding of the 2006 World Cup to Germany will also come under scrutiny as part of the pairs' inquiries, Garcia told German television in an interview.

The American said one of their many tasks is also to look into the relationship between FIFA and defunct marketing company ISL, who sold FIFA's World Cup TV rights.

Swiss court documents, recently published by FIFA, reveal ISL paid millions of dollars in bribes to former FIFA president Joao Havelange and ex-FIFA executive committee member Ricardo Teixeira.

"If you look at things, it is clear there is something to investigate and that is what we are going to do," the 51-year-old Garcia told ARD.

Garcia also said the conduct of FIFA President Sepp Blatter will also come under scrutiny.

"The more important the person involved is, the more important it is to examine them as well," he added.

AFP

And what will be the outcome of this? Nothing!

Shouldn´t be a problem for Russia and Qatar to bribe Mr.Garcia and Mr.Eckert too.

I seriously begin to wonder why some of the countries concerned don't consider a counter-FIFA, replete with a parallel World Cup to challenge Blatter's cronyism...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I seriously begin to wonder why some of the countries concerned don't consider a counter-FIFA, replete with a parallel World Cup to challenge Blatter's cronyism...

I like that idea a lot. I doubt anybody will actually do it though.

• 1 month later...

FIFA reform talks on age, term limits, WCup bids

A FIFA working group began talks Monday that could result in age and term limits for world soccer leaders and change how World Cup hosts are chosen.

FIFA said a 10-point proposal will be sent to national federations by the panel of chief executives and legal directors from FIFA and its six continental confederations.

The FIFA Congress of 209 members is scheduled to meet in May and vote on ongoing reforms promised by president Sepp Blatter after a series of bribery and bidding scandals.

Proposals under discussion include an age limit of 72 for FIFA election candidates and a two-term, eight-year limit for the president.

All of FIFA's members likely will be asked to choose future World Cup hosts instead of the FIFA executive committee, which was discredited by corruption allegations linked to the 2018 and 2022 bidding contests two years ago.

The panel is continuing work started by a statutes task force chaired by Theo Zwaniger, the former German federation leader who joined FIFA's ruling committee on the same June 2011 day that Blatter, now 76, won a fourth term.

Zwanziger's suggested changes include requiring all FIFA candidates to pass integrity checks before being allowed to run for office.

Salaries and benefits for FIFA leaders also could be decided by the audit and compliance committee, which was revamped during the first phase of Blatter's reform drive.

Zwanziger wants Europe to give up two of its three FIFA vice presidencies, including one shared by the four British federations. British officials could also be asked to cede influence on the game's rule-making body, the International Football Association Board.

Zwanziger has pushed for clubs, often fierce critics of Blatter, and other stakeholders to be given greater representation within FIFA.

For future World Cup hosts, Zwanziger's task force proposed that the full Congress elect the winner from three candidates presented by the executive committee. The next contest, to choose the 2026 host, is unlikely to be decided before 2018.

FIFA said the consultation started Monday will continue through January, and the executive committee is scheduled to publish a suggested slate of reforms in March. The FIFA Congress will vote at a May 31 meeting in Mauritius.

AP

http://msn.foxsports...p-bids-50147256

• 2 weeks later...

Emirates wants FIFA changes before new sponsorship

(AP) -An Emirates executive says the airline will assess the extent of FIFA's anti-corruption reforms and the public reaction before renewing its sponsorship with the organization.

The Dubai-based carrier's $195 million eight-year deal with FIFA expires in 2014. FIFA has pledged to introduce measures to prevent a repeat of bribery and vote-buying scandals that have damaged football's governing body in the last two years.

But Emirates senior vice president Boutros Boutros says "so far they talk a lot about (the reforms), but we are yet'' to see them.

As Emirates considers whether to renew with FIFA, Boutros says research is being conducted into how the public "perceive our relationship with them, how they look at it ... we hope they will work on (the reforms) and do what the public want.''

http://sportsillustr....130/index.html

• 2 months later...

FIFA to investigate allegations about controversial 2018 and 2022 World Cup bid process

By MARTYN ZIEGLER, PRESS ASSOCIATION

PUBLISHED: 21:22 GMT, 24 January 2013 | UPDATED: 21:22 GMT, 24 January 2013

Allegations surrounding the controversial 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding campaigns will be subjected to a 'thorough review', FIFA's ethics investigator has stated.

A number of allegations have been made, including by former England 2018 bid leader Lord Triesman, plus claims about 2022 hosts Qatar who have always denied any wrongdoing.

Russia were awarded the 2018 tournament.

article-2267880-0C531D72000005DC-114_468

Hosts: Russia's deputy prime minister Igor Shuvalov and Alexei Sorokin celebrate being awarded the 2018 World Cup

article-2267880-0C532365000005DC-736_468

Fail: England took Prince William, David Cameron and David Beckham to Zurich but the 2018 bid received just two votes and was eliminated in the first round

Ethics investigator Michael J Garcia has previously said he would look into the claims and this was reiterated today.

He said in a statement: 'As has been publicly announced, certain allegations regarding events surrounding the bidding for the World Cup 2018 and 2022 were referred to the ethics committee by FIFA following media reports.

'We intend to conduct a thorough review of those allegations, including the evidentiary basis for and credibility of any allegations of individual misconduct.'

article-2267880-0CA55D46000005DC-258_468

Surprise: Qatar won the rights to host the 2022 World Cup

article-2267880-0B369532000005DC-643_468

The ethics committee will also report in March on its investigation into the payment of kickbacks to FIFA members by now-defunct marketing partner ISL.

A new whistleblower hotline is expected to become operational next month

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2267880/FIFA-investigate-allegations-2018-2022-World-Cup-bid-process.html

Uefa proposes age and term limit for Fifa president once Sepp Blatter retires

Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino says a proposal to limit the age of a person running for Fifa president to 72 and a term limit of 12 years has been agreed by all 53 European Fifa members.

Current Fifa president Sepp Blatter, 76, took office in 1998 and says he will retire in 2015, at the end of his fourth presidential term.

watch the video here :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2013/jan/25/uefa-fifa-sepp-blatter-video

Thats good news. I just wish this type of policy was enacted years ago. I believe Havelange was 82 when he left the position in 1998. And we all know how he is now remembered, just like Sepp.

2 failed Presidents, for a failed and utterly inept organization. Change and reform will only start to heal the damage these 2 savages have inflicted on world football.

He's abandoning the ship before it sinks. Maybe he realized the huge mistake that was giving the WC to Qatar and is trying to run away after 2014.

I don't mind Russia being a host but it seems they weren't sweethearts either and probably did bribery as well.