Bid faces Londoners' protest in Singapore

Can I just make a quick comment here? Protests are banned in Singapore and if these opponents attempt one, they will be arrested by Internal Security and bundled on the next plane back to Britain.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can I just make a quick comment here? Protests are banned in Singapore and if these opponents attempt one, they will be arrested by Internal Security and bundled on the next plane back to Britain.

So glad that the IOC respects humanist values of freedom...

and as I've said anyway, if they can't organise a proper protest in London what chance have they got on the other side of the world where protests are not allowed. I'm not getting too worried.

So glad that the IOC respects humanist values of freedom...

Well, it's the Singapore Government which bans protests. It's not a request of the IOC and the IOC is in no position to dictate to the Singapore Government to allow protests.

Maybe that's why the IOC decided to hold its meeting in Singapore in the first place. None of this protest nonsense..........

and as I've said anyway, if they can't organise a proper protest in London what chance have they got on the other side of the world where protests are not allowed. I'm not getting too worried.

I agree Robert. I am an infiltrator of the No London 2012 campaign -no I'm not going to reveal my pseudonym! However, they are very badly organised. There is poor commitment and little enthusiasm. Everyone is always making excuses as to why the can't attend meetings and protests etc. Their last idea when the IOC was in town was to have egg and spoon races and blow whistles as a means of protest. I ask you!!!! Then there was a report that someone had made some noise outside hotel where the IOC had been staying and that was another protest, although the IOC had no idea of it!! It's all a damp squib. Don't let it worry you.

Questions anyone?!!

interesting. have you attended some meetings of the organization?

Yes I went once, but satisfied myself it was so lack lustre that it was not worth worrying about.

Interestingly, this group is also linking up with anti-Madrid, anti-Paris and anti-New York groups (a kind of anti-bid movement) for some unknown reason. Not surprisingly there is no anti-Moscow group yet organises, probably because the prospect of Moscow winning is a gnat's whisker short of zero.

In paris, its a kind of anti capitalist organisation

according to then, the olympics are ruled by $ , so they dont want then. I sure that, like in london, they will not be able to afford a ticket plane to go to Singapour....

In paris, its a kind of anti capitalist organisation

according to then, the olympics are ruled by $ , so they dont want then. I sure that, like in london, they will not be able to afford a ticket plane to go to Singapour....

Yes, Zoltan, as I understand it the underlying trend of those against the London bid is one against capitalism with the environmentalists etc. piggy-backing onto this as their protest.

Splendid. Perhaps they hadn't thought of that.  :laughlong:

It isn't at all " splendid" that protests are banned . Free speech and democracy are infinitely more precious than the olympic games . Let's not get carried away here .

This just goes to show what greed makes certain people do. I hope they do go to the Singapore meeting, and their images are broadcast back to the U.K., so they can be clearly identified as the potential 'wreckers' of the Olympic Bid.

But I am sure Seb Coe, will fear not. He has come too far, to allow some greedy businessmen & women, from spoiling this bid.

Also, aren't there some Parisiens who are unhappy with some of the plans set out by Paris 2012? Centered around the Roland Garros complex? I wonder if they will present themselves to the IOC too. Oh Dear?

I would be interested in talking to these people if they will be in Singapore---from what I have read, they have some very valid concerns.

This was similar to the Tibet folks in 2001 at Moscow. Rule number one of Olympic journalism, never dismiss anyone!!!

NNNC

This just goes to show what greed makes certain people do. I hope they do go to the Singapore meeting, and their images are broadcast back to the U.K., so they can be clearly identified as the potential 'wreckers' of the Olympic Bid.

But I am sure Seb Coe, will fear not. He has come too far, to allow some greedy businessmen & women, from spoiling this bid.

Also, aren't there some Parisiens who are unhappy with some of the plans set out by Paris 2012? Centered around the Roland Garros complex? I wonder if they will present themselves to the IOC too. Oh Dear?

I would be interested in talking to these people if they will be in Singapore---from what I have read, they have some very valid concerns.

This was similar to the Tibet folks in 2001 at Moscow. Rule number one of Olympic journalism, never dismiss anyone!!!

NNNC

may I ask....who do you support for 2012?

Some may have concerns but as been pointed out by many posters, many are just trying to make an extra buck.  This from yesterday's Observor (an excellent purveyor of Olympic journalism).

The LDA last night said: 'Of the 284 businesses currently located in the proposed area for the Olympic Park, most are in talks with us, have reached agreement, or have said they want to wait until after 6 July before starting negotiations. The LDA has given a firm assurance that no business will be financially worse off as a result of the relocation process.'

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/london2012/sto...1514565,00.html

Singapore police intend to clamp down on any protest designed to disrupt the vote for the 2012 Summer Olympics.

The warning Tuesday came a week after a British group of small businesses opposed to London's bid said it was considering a protest at the Singapore meeting.

Other cities vying for the Olympics are Paris, Madrid, New York and Moscow. The decision by the International Olympic Committee will be made July 6.

Singapore law dictates that outdoor gatherings of five or more people require a police permit. Public demonstrations are extremely rare in the tightly controlled city-state. Police usually deny permits, citing "law and order problems."

"Anyone who organizes or participates in an assembly or procession without a permit is violating the law," said Aubeck Kam, the police's operations director at a security briefing for the July 2-9 meeting.

Heads of state expected to be in Singapore to support their countries' bids include British Prime Minister Tony Blair and French President Jacques Chirac. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and a slew of celebrities and star athletes also are expected to attend.

Kam said police have not received an application from the British group to protest. He added that police would not authorize any application for outdoor marches or assemblies with the potential to "breach public peace."

More than 2,000 armed police, military and civil defense officers will maintain security at the event, which an estimated 3,500 delegates will attend, Kam said.

All vehicles and people entering the IOC session at the Raffles City Convention Center will be checked, and concrete barricades will be set up around the building, he added.

Link

Archived