South Africa will not bid for 2020

Rob2012

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a special "2022 watch map" just for Baron. :P

2022-watch3.jpg

Now, that's more like it!! :lol: I mean why are we not counting the Chinese, Russians, Brazilians, Nigerians, etc., etc. who may have whispered in their darkest secrets why couldn't Shengzen, Murmansk, Manus, Lagos, etc., etc., have bid for 2020?? Know what I mean?

So, yes, the revised map is MORE ACCURATE!! That map will be used in I guess Melbourne will be hosting the IOC Session in 2015 for the 2022 race. U gave me a hard time with the Denver thing, so... :lol:

I can't believe South Africa is out. IMHO, it was the biggest chance ever for a South African bid...

Well, they can try a 2024 and make an unforgettable handover ceremony in Istanbul 2020. :D

Fully agreed!!!

Cape Town is the one to bid in 2024.

I agree that Durban seems a bit lame BUT... I don't claim to be an expert on this matter but have got an impression that the South Africans are now quite strongly oriented towards Durban being their pick. And after all, it has the stadium ready and it can host in July-August.

If SASOC is concerned about the $50 million to bid for the 2020 Games, what will happen when the bidding cost likely goes higher for the 2024 Games?

I already mentioned that. But then also, even Dubai may not bid. So Durban's 2024 bidding is just going to cost $23.45!! So indeed they saved themselves $49,999,976.55!! But the price of cement went up 250%!! :lol:

So 2024:

Durban, Dubai, Doha, Tokyo, Baku, Istanbul (only if Madrid or Rome win, otherwise Istanbul 2020 :)), Saint Petersburg, intresting race.... ;)

I think Tokyo sits out 2024 if they don't win 2020 and focuses on 2028. By that point, it will have been 20 years since Beijing and as history notes, the 8s have favored Asia. I'd really like to see St. Petersburg give it a go, but I think a likely European win in 2020 more or less ends their chances.

Archived