South Africa will not bid for 2020

Rob2012

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to 2020...

I remember back in its bidding days, posters here were starting to see Istanbul bids as stale, and it didn't help that the Turkish government pledged to keep bidding until it won. By skipping one cycle, has enough time passed where Istanbul can be seen as a fresh bid again? Seeing as how Rio seemingly came out of nowhere (relatively) to win 2016, I don't think it's totally out of the question to see a strong contender in Istanbul if it can present itself as one of those "sexy" cities.

Wait a minute which part of the bid is in a foreign country??

I've never heard of it before. (baron's mistaken)

But, it is approved by the IOC, be limited to borderline nearby.

Like Salzburg-Austria 2010 and 2014 with Konigssee-Germany.

Apparently the thing with Istanbul, is that they were always presenting the same bid again & again. Never improving on it, unlike Rio & PyeongChang, & always relying on that.

Istanbul would at least have to present something totally different this time around, & not just rehash their same old plan if they want to make a big impression on the IOC this next time around.

Okay, the point was, though, that is was Salzburg 2014 that had a venue on the German side.

Right. That Anchluss always throws me off. ;)

Apparently the thing with Istanbul, is that they were always presenting the same bid again & again. Never improving on it, unlike Rio & PyeongChang, & always relying on that.

Istanbul would at least have to present something totally different this time around, & not just rehash their same old plan if they want to make a big impression on the IOC this next time around.

I think wrestling or Rhythmic Gymnastics should take place at the Haga Sophia. :lol:

Well, I always did think 2024 onwards was a better shot for South Africa anyway. Though lately I was starting to acknowledge there seemed to be a groundswell of sympathy momentum, and then there was the Durban IOC session ... actually, to me that's a BIG pity, that session was just such a golden opportunity to launch a bid off, it's such a shame to throw away that big advantage.

Well, at the end of the day, I'm if anything a bit more confident now for South Africa's chances in 2024 or 28. And I'd still love to see them slot in a Commonwealth Games in 2022 and build an Oly bid off that.

So, Mo/Rafa - what's the dirt? Have you got some sort of confidentiality agreement with SASOC or something? Don't leave us hanging with such tantalising hints.

I'm not surprised by this decision. But do you think it is a partial recognition that Durban is not the right city especially knowing that the IOC has a taste for the glamour cities (Sydney, London, Rio)? Cape Town is more of the glamour city for South Africa but of course they were not hungry to bid.

I also thought this race would be another glamour race (a la 2012). Not that Rome and Tokyo aren't exciting, but the list is rather short. Also, I'm wondering about the Americans. In a game where timing is everything it seems the USOC had it totally wrong for chasing 2012 and 2016...and apparently again by bowing out of 2020. North America is ripe for a Summer Games.

Hmm. I dunno. I kinda hope they stick with Durban if/when they DO finally decide to bid. It's facilities and better weather had pretty well convinced me they're, at least at this point in time, better placed than Cape Town. But I guess we've got four more years (at least) to debate that old issue again.

I kinda hope they stick with Durban if/when they DO finally decide to bid. It's facilities and better weather had pretty well convinced me they're, at least at this point in time, better placed than Cape Town.

Exactly. I always think of Durban as the Melbourne of South Africa.

Not the premier cities of their respective countries, but people are always quick to point out Melbourne's great sporting pedigree as one of it's best attributes. Plus, Durban has the better weather in that Olympic time-frame window than Melbourne & Cape Town.

I remember being in elementary school looking up Olympic Games on Yahoo for a project, and seeing the Istanbul bid logo with the big red swooshes. I think a Turkish games would be interesting and exciting.

I remember being in elementary school looking up Olympic Games on Yahoo for a project, and seeing the Istanbul bid logo with the big red swooshes. I think a Turkish games would be interesting and exciting.

Yeah. Not that I have anything against a Rome bid, it kinda appeals to me too, and I always have a soft spot for Japan, but in the absence of South Africa, Istanbul would be the "newish frontier" possibility to fire my imagination and enthusiasm - as long as they can come up with a fresh approach to their past efforts.

Don't see Istanbul on Rio's coattails, regardless.

After Rio, the IOC is most likely going to go with a solid bid, now that South Africa is out of the equation, from either Europe or maybe Japan.

LOL - sounds like we just swapped our previous positions!

;)

Like I said, amazing what a difference 24 hours can make.

Don't see Istanbul on Rio's coattails, regardless.

After Rio, the IOC is most likely going to go with a solid bid, now that South Africa is out of the equation, from either Europe or maybe Japan.

Possibly a central/South European bid Germany/France/Spain/Italy/Hungary maybe?

Toronto 2020!

As much as I would like to see a summer games in Canada in my lifetime, I can't see that happening until 2028 maybe.

Thats only 18 years away surely your not that old :)

Anyways if Casblanca/Rabat decided to bid would they become favourites to win?? Especially considering Nawal el Moutawakel, considered a possible future IOC president is an IOC member??

Reflections on the ongoing conversation:

1.) I disagree with Baron's statement that Rio hosting in 2016 effectively eliminates North American bids from serious consideration for 3 cycles (i.e. 2032). Despite the 2 continent vs. 1 continent debate, the IOC is not going to equate Rio with the U.S. or Canada in the same way they would equate Beijing and Tokyo. It's possible that the Games won't come back to North America until 2032, but far from certain.

2.) I think Torino will hurt Rome's chances significantly -- mainly because there is so much desire in so many different countries to host. In this climate of Olympic passion, I think it is too soon for another Italian Games. I think Paris and Madrid (maybe Berlin) are far more likely to convince the IOC that it is their turn to be the next European host.

3.) The above issue is one of two factors that concerns me about Reno 2022. If Reno hosts, the U.S. will have to wait eons before getting another Summer Games -- probably sometime in the 40's. That would make a fifty year gap between summer hostings and I question whether American audiences will hang in there that long. The second reason I'm worried about Reno 2022 is that IT'S RENO!!!! I'm all for American Games and I do understand Baron's argument that we should take what we can get. 2022 seems favorable geopolitically -- no question. However, Reno is an ugly, unappealing city. If the U.S. puts forth a bid, I really, really, really hope it isn't Reno. And if they do submit Reno, I really, really, really hope the IOC is smart enough to go elsewhere.

4.) Totally agree with the idea that Istanbul and Tokyo are the potential spoilers to a European victory in 2020. I also agree that Istanbul is somehow tantalizing, but I recognize that a.) they'd have to reinvent themselves and b.) it's really not ideal following on the heels of Rio. Totally disagree with Baron's statement that Tokyo is "dicey." Natural disasters or man-made disasters can happen anywhere at any time. Japan is more prepared to deal with these sorts of problems than anywhere else in the world. The IOC isn't going to steer clear of Tokyo for fear that another earthquake might strike. Tokyo's biggest problem is Pyeongchang.

neah for Istanbul bidding,

the minister of sports and youth had a speech 2 days ago and said about 2020 bid " in our previous bids it was always the same and without experiment and infrastucture. now todays istanbul is different. already have built some of the sport facilities, organizing int. sport competitions. just in this 3 years 10 int. org. will be held in istanbul. and we want 2020 games here and not just the municplity but the president and prime minister will involve this time. a new law will pass from the congress just for istanbul olympic candidature. and with a new plan we will bring this worlds biggest org to istanbul"

st like that.

as im a turkish and know my government and Recep tayyip erdogans ambition and fiercely character ( also once the major of Istanbul and proff football player)they will pull the rings hard this time. cause for his political future to say we bring the games to istanbul we bring the expo to izmir. both cities especially İzmir are strong social party strongholds and send 111 ( 1/5 of the parliament )parlamenters to the congress in total. incase st happens extraordinary.

Reflections on the ongoing conversation:

1.) I disagree with Baron's statement that Rio hosting in 2016 effectively eliminates North American bids from serious consideration for 3 cycles (i.e. 2032). Despite the 2 continent vs. 1 continent debate, the IOC is not going to equate Rio with the U.S. or Canada in the same way they would equate Beijing and Tokyo. It's possible that the Games won't come back to North America until 2032, but far from certain.

3.) The above issue is one of two factors that concerns me about Reno 2022. If Reno hosts, the U.S. will have to wait eons before getting another Summer Games -- probably sometime in the 40's. That would make a fifty year gap between summer hostings and I question whether American audiences will hang in there that long. The second reason I'm worried about Reno 2022 is that IT'S RENO!!!! I'm all for American Games and I do understand Baron's argument that we should take what we can get. 2022 seems favorable geopolitically -- no question. However, Reno is an ugly, unappealing city. If the U.S. puts forth a bid, I really, really, really hope it isn't Reno. And if they do submit Reno, I really, really, really hope the IOC is smart enough to go elsewhere.

Obviously, we disagree more than we agree. So...

1. Have you noticed how some Europeans here unconsciously slip into the one Americas' mindset sometimes. The IOC is still a Euro-dominated body and that is their mindset. Besides, the USOC already said they are NOT bidding for 2020. (And off-hand, I just don't see another city coughing up another $80 million for another uncertain run.)

3. We've been thru this before. My Reno contacts say that "it is what it is." They're not going to Disneyify Reno. Certainly paint it or fix it up for such an event....but the folks there are going to offer their town as it is. If you and others find it ugly (which is all in the beholder's eye anyway), maybe you might want to donate to change the way the city looks? I feel if the IOC doesn't want it, then maybe the U.S. should just bail out of the Olympic movement. But I'm really NOT going to care much past 2022 anyway.

Do someone really think that the Spanish Government will back a bid facing the crisis they are going through actually !!!!

I do. I'm not sure if they'll finally bid or not but it's not the crisis which would pull them back.

The two main political parties in Spain want the Games (sport is the only thing that doesn't make them insult each other...). Many of the rest of the parties support the idea too. It would be seen as a way to invest money and improve our economical situation, and also to create new jobs. There's a public support of more than 80%... No, I don't really think the crisis would play a decisive part.

neah for Istanbul bidding,

the minister of sports and youth had a speech 2 days ago and said about 2020 bid " in our previous bids it was always the same and without experiment and infrastucture. now todays istanbul is different. already have built some of the sport facilities, organizing int. sport competitions. just in this 3 years 10 int. org. will be held in istanbul. and we want 2020 games here and not just the municplity but the president and prime minister will involve this time. a new law will pass from the congress just for istanbul olympic candidature. and with a new plan we will bring this worlds biggest org to istanbul"

st like that.

as im a turkish and know my government and Recep tayyip erdogans ambition and fiercely character ( also once the major of Istanbul and proff football player)they will pull the rings hard this time. cause for his political future to say we bring the games to istanbul we bring the expo to izmir. both cities especially İzmir are strong social party strongholds and send 111 ( 1/5 of the parliament )parlamenters to the congress in total. incase st happens extraordinary.

I heard internationally that Turkey will prefer to bid for the Euro 2020 instead of the 2020 Olympics !!!

Does it something that peoples in Turkey are discussing ?

2.) I think Torino will hurt Rome's chances significantly -- mainly because there is so much desire in so many different countries to host. In this climate of Olympic passion, I think it is too soon for another Italian Games. I think Paris and Madrid (maybe Berlin) are far more likely to convince the IOC that it is their turn to be the next European host.

Agree with Paris & Berlin, but not Madrid. Turin was a *Winter* Games, not summer ones. This apples to apples scenario hurts Madrid moreso than it would Rome. And even if Turin did impede Rome's chances, they would do so nominally, not "significantly".

Besides Switzerland, Italy has the most IOC members than any other NOC - is one of the top 10 at the Summer Olympic Games & last hosted the *Summer* Games in 1960. Surely the Italians wouldn't be so gung-ho if they thought their chances at success were dismal. And now that South Africa has just bowed-out, they're probably even more giddy now about their chances. The only thing that would seriously stand in their way now, is if Paris decided to finally declare it's intentions &/or if Tokyo could make a convincing enough case as well. And if 1 of those 2, or both, don't bid, Rome's gonna have an easy play at it.

Archived