South Africa will not bid for 2020

Rob2012

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:blink: Shocking news, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me that much if this finally comes out to be true. In fact, I think it would be a wise decision for South Africa: let Rio host in 2016 and the IOC go for a traditional "safer" place in 2020, and that would leave the doors fully open for a new frontier in 2024.

Also, if in the end South Africa decides not to bid, I guess there will be more "unexpected" bids appearing in the following days. We only have Rome for sure so far, but Tokyo has already expressed its intentions, Madrid said they would bid unless Africa had a powerful candidate, Istanbul has been bidding for many years (with the exception of 2016), Casablanca may want to try to host the first African Olympics... Then, we also have the possible bids from France, Germany or Korea depending on who gets 2018. And what about bids from the Middle East such as Doha, Baku or even Dubai?

The 2020 bid process changes a lot without South Africa!

I think they did nothing but realizing that their actual chances were at best average, considering continental rotation and the size of the work to convince the IOC members that they could do it. So, they probably chose not spend it now and wait for a better opportunity.

For me, it doesn't change much. I did not consider Durban as favorite, so it will still be interesting with, at least, two major candidates: Tokyo and Rome.

By the way, if an European city is not elected, you can bet that Durban won't bid for 2024 either.

By the way, if an European city is not elected, you can bet that Durban won't bid for 2024 either.

Yep, have go back to Europe at least every other time, it's the law. You gotta love the oh so "non-corrupt" IOC.

Baron you don't have the true... :lol:

A race of Rome, Berlin, Paris, Madrid and Tokyo would be just as good as 2012.

Paris won't bid to 2020, but maybe Busan 2020 ;)

For the moment we have Tokyo and Rome...

To the BOT...if u understand human logic...which u don't -- of course I, as well as a few others here, handicapped Durban because they were all set to run. That was public knowledge...NOT some "no snow...not a good sporting nation bullsh*t" 'bots like you spout...

If Durban and the RSA gov't decide they're NOT going to run, then that's their business and NOT mine. I'm NOT privy to their innermost decisions. DUH!! :rolleyes:

Obviously, a 'bot can't tell those subtle differences. :rolleyes:

Paris won't bid to 2020, but maybe Busan 2020 ;)

For the moment we have Tokyo and Rome...

Hahaha. So you have no problem with Busan over Paris? What about all that stuff you said about wanting the best stage for athletes? :lol:

Yes for the moment we have Rome and Tokyo but if Paris and Berlin are smart, they will run for 2020 (if they lose 2018), because 2020 is almost sure to go to Europe. Only Tokyo stands in their way, and that's an easy fish to fry at this time.

So, IF (note to the 'bots...it is a big I-F..that's plain English...NOT Cobol, not Fortran, NOT html...) it turns out to be Rome, then the summer Olympic calendar will have changed from every 3rd SOGs going to Europe to every other SOG. So that would make 2024 available to Africa, Asia & North America...which would make it a MORE interesting race.

But if 2022 went to the U.S., then 2024 might be the right time for Durban or Tokyo. (But of course SASOC's unease with the $50 million bid price tag is disingenuous because it would be $75 mil for a 2024 run NOT unless the IOC clamps down on bidding costs to a bare minimum. And Rome has already budgeted $86 mil for this 2020 run.)

A Rome 2020 would make a 60-year gap for Rome...about the average time for a repeat Summer host.

Hahaha. So you have no problem with Busan over Paris? What about all that stuff you said about wanting the best stage for athletes? :lol:

A low-tech, mountain 'bot can't tell the difference. Needs a reboot and an upgrade program. ;)

To the BOT...if u understand human logic...which u don't -- of course I, as well as a few others here, handicapped Durban because they were all set to run. That was public knowledge...NOT some "no snow...not a good sporting nation bullsh*t" 'bots like you spout...

If Durban and the RSA gov't decide they're NOT going to run, then that's their business and NOT mine. I'm NOT privy to their innermost decisions. DUH!!

Obviously, a 'bot can't tell those subtle differences.

Even you have wrong, you don't accept the mistake... You are patetic

Yes for the moment we have Rome and Tokyo but if Paris and Berlin are smart, they will run for 2020 (if they lose 2018), because 2020 is almost sure to go to Europe. Only Tokyo stands in their way, and that's an easy fish to fry at this time.

If we respect the turn rotation we have London 2012, Rio 2016, in 2020 we have Asia or Ocenia, Ocenia seem impossible but Asia could host 2020 SoG

Paris won't bid, it's a certitude, but if PC loose 2018 race, could be a good chance to host WoG with Busan 2020.

I promess you if Annecy win in 2018, I will be the first supporter to Busan 2020 ;)

A race of Rome, Berlin, Paris, Madrid and Tokyo would be just as good as 2012.

I can see just 6 cities bidding. (Berlin, Rome, Tokyo, Paris, Madrid, Istanbul)

Yes, it's going to be something like that. I can clearly see Rome, Tokyo and Madrid now that RSA seems to be out. I have some doubts with Istanbul, but I think they'll finally bid too. And then, Baku and Doha might want to try again. It's also possible to see Casablanca bidding. On the other hand, even though they'd be good hosts, I can't see Paris and Berlin bidding, especially Berlin. I'm not sure about Busan either.

In that case, the applicant cities for 2020 would be: Baku, Busan(?), Casablanca, Doha, Istanbul, Madrid, Paris(?), Rome and Tokyo. The last four would be shortlisted for sure, so if Paris bids, the other five would be fighting for a last spot (unless the IOC prefers to go with only 4 candidates like for 2016). If Paris didn't bid, Istanbul and probably one more city would advance to the candidature phase.

Archived