Why do so many people keep making this big mistake. PyeongChang is ONLY the Alpine hub! The Ice events will be hosted in nearby Gangneung, which has a much bigger population of 225,000. So together, they are still much bigger than in Annecy's plan, & about the same size as Sochi. And btw, CITIES hosts the Games, NOT countries.

Still it's Peyongchang who is the major factor in the bidding. And it's bigger difference between Munich and PyeongChang/Gangneung than PyeongChang/Gangneung and Östersund Åre. So still if the population is a that big factor then why won South Korea ahead of Germany. Germany is a winter superpower. Why did Germany lost?? They lost clearly..

So the rest of the country can't help Östersund/ Åre if they need it?? Do you think the cities can host without any help from rest of the country as example the goverment??

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh please, such biased idiocy from Athensfan whose stupid SUMMER USA dream will not come true in the NEXT 40 years!!.... /\ Reno is a trend-starter in global political movements of conscience!! Th

For 2022 I'm quite sure that Europe will make it. It's the very fist time that there are 3 consecutive winter games not held in Europe with Vancouver in NA and Sochi and PC in Asia (sure Sochi is part

It has been explained to you COUNTLESS times already "why", but you, just like your "pathetic" lost brother Tulsa, REFUSE/WON'T listen. And what's most "pathetic" of all, is that you're suppose to be

I'm surprised that the AOC is even considering it. And if they are, they said they're not gonna go with Salzburg? After Innsbruck & Salzburg, there's only Graz & maybe Klagenfurt left. And Vienna is too far away from the mountains.

Salzburg would be their best bet. Or go with Innsbruck again, their 2nd best option, despite the YOG's & previous hostings, if they don't wanna use Salzburg again. Which would be dumb, IMO.

I do believe they said they wouldn't use Salzburg, or it might have been they weren't going for 2018.

Still it's Peyongchang who is the major factor in the bidding. And it's bigger difference between Munich and PyeongChang/Gangneung than PyeongChang/Gangneung and Östersund Åre. So still if the population is a that big factor then why won South Korea ahead of Germany. Germany is a winter superpower. Why did Germany lost?? They lost clearly..

So the rest of the country can't help Östersund/ Åre if they need it?? Do you think the cities can host without any help from rest of the country as example the goverment??

Pillan, don't u get it? The Olympics are PASSED AROUND!! That is the WHOLE POINT of Olympism -- sharing the festival because it fosters goodwill and int'l relations. And there can only be ONE host city every 4 years.

If you DON'T get that, then meet your long-lost brother, Tulsa.

FYI i still waiting for a GOOD reason to why Östersund/åre can't host Olympics. I have only heard reasons who can be reason to all bids including the ones from your USA.

Seriously, have Sweden did something against you?? It seems so.

Pillan, don't u get it? The Olympics are PASSED AROUND!! That is the WHOLE POINT of Olympism -- sharing the festival because it fosters goodwill and int'l relations. And there can only be ONE host city every 4 years.

If you DON'T get that, then meet your long-lost brother, Tulsa.

Ohhh, but it's okay for NA to host it every 8th year, right??? So I agree with you: That's why I don't want to see WOG in NA for along time. Countries as Sweden, which never has host it, should get the chance.

Sweden is a lot like Slovakia and the Czech Republic. All three are capable of hosting by the definition of physical requirements, but the location of the physical requirements and the larger cities are not located together.

Norway may have 5 million people, but you have Trondheim and Oslo within a reasonable distince to major mountains.

If Sweden had a city of 150,000+ in the same area as Ostersund then infrastructure and population based considerations would be a non-issue. The entire Jamtland county has a population of 130,000.

Ohhh, but it's okay for NA to host it every 8th year, right??? So I agree with you: That's why I don't want to see WOG in NA for along time. Countries as Sweden, which never has host it, should get the chance.

It should but it belongs to the MOST crowded region...and Europe only gets a shot every 3rd chance. The OTHER 2 continents have to fill their slots, too. So Sweden has to present a BID that is STRONGER than any of its Euro rivals. DO NOT BLAME the Asian or No. American bids because they have to fill their Continental Rotation slots regardless of the quality of Sweden's bid.

Maybe you/Sweden should build a new medium-sized city closer to where your slopes are...w/in 20 minutes if that's possible. And you shouldn't have citizens in Stockholm blowing up statues just when the IOC Tech Evaluation team is coming to visit.

Sweden is a lot like Slovakia and the Czech Republic. All three are capable of hosting by the definition of physical requirements, but the location of the physical requirements and the larger cities are not located together.

Norway may have 5 million people, but you have Trondheim and Oslo within a reasonable distince to major mountains.

If Sweden had a city of 150,000+ in the same area as Ostersund then infrastructure and population based considerations would be a non-issue. The entire Jamtland county has a population of 130,000.

Now we talking about the infrastructure. Sweden as a great infrastructure. No problem with that. It's go to Östersund from Stockholm with train, fly and cars/busses. You can travel from Trodheim with train too.

About the population: why can't Östersund host despite their population? So many people say it's a issue but not WHY!

Pillan, you're going on and on about GREAT this, blah-blah...BUT OBVIOUSLY when the IOC Tech Team comes to town...all your GREAT shudda-cudda's AREN'T so.

Thus far, Sweden's winter plans ARE NOT all that great to convince the IOC that they are BETTER than their European rivals. If it was sooooo PERFECT, then it would've won by now.

Plus, it's ATTITUDE too that maybe you Swedes should look at . If they're anything like yours, then THERE is a problem. ;)

Pillan, you're going on and on about GREAT this, blah-blah...BUT OBVIOUSLY when the IOC Tech Team comes to town...all your GREAT shudda-cudda's AREN'T so.

Thus far, Sweden's winter plans ARE NOT all that great to convince the IOC that they are BETTER than their European rivals. If it was sooooo PERFECT, then it would've won by now.

Plus, it's ATTITUDE too that maybe you Swedes should look at . If they're anything like yours, then THERE is a problem. ;)

Well Pyeongchang tried two times before winning it. Östersund alone have search it three times. Now we will have a major change. The bid will be named Östersund/ÅRE!!!! Scandinavia's biggest ski resort will have a bigger part in the bid. Previous bids had Östersund has the main town. Now Åre will be in the focus too.

Then Munich should bid again either?? Because if that was so great then they should have won it. After all they have 2 millions people and Germany is a winter superpower. Still they lost against a much smaller city and a country which isn't close to be the winter nation as Germany is..

Ohh now it's problem with our attitude too???? Lame excuses all over in this site.

The most pathetic is that yoy say the poulation and infrastructure are issues but you can't say why?? I have ask this many times and now I do it again. Why are they issues????

Yes it seems some people in herte are afraid of a Swedish bid and try to put it down with lame excuses.

So Baron, FYI: WHY ARE THEY ISSUES???

The most pathetic is that yoy say the poulation and infrastructure are issues but you can't say why?? I have ask this many times and now I do it again. Why are they issues????

So Baron, FYI: WHY ARE THEY ISSUES???

It has been explained to you COUNTLESS times already "why", but you, just like your "pathetic" lost brother Tulsa, REFUSE/WON'T listen.

And what's most "pathetic" of all, is that you're suppose to be a GROWN woman at 34 years old! And yet you're so immature, irrational & "pathetic".

At least Tulsa has/had an excuse. He's just a dumb kid. But YOU, an ADULT! :blink: I cringe to think if you have any kids, cuz they'll turn out to be just as "pathetic" as you & Tulsa. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It has been explained to you COUNTLESS times already "why", but you, just like your "pathetic" lost brother Tulsa, REFUSE/WON'T listen.

And what's most "pathetic" of all, is that you're suppose to be a GROWN woman at 34 years old! And yet you're so immature, irrational & "pathetic".

At least Tulsa has/had an excuse. He's just a dumb kid. But YOU, an ADULT! :blink: I cringe to think if you have any kids, cuz they'll turn out to be just as "pathetic" as you & Tulsa. :rolleyes:

No you haven't explain anything for me!! I still want to hear why the poulation, the infrastructure are issues.

The only things you have said are, we don't need the arenas, the hotell rooms, the upgraded infrastructure after the Olympics. That is a factor against ALL hosts. Even bigger nations as USA, Germany ect. Why is that a issue against Sweden and not the USA? Just lame excuses.

Also it's not your or IOC work to decide what Sweden need or not. If Sweden can put up a great bid which can be sucessful then that's the only thing IOC should look at. Should a worser bid win because they need the stadiums, hotel rooms ect after the olympic?? What's kind of logic is that? You even give a reason, it's better to leave as it is(Åre as ski resort). Every places should be better to leave as it is then...

If Sweden wants the Olympic games and has a great bid why shouldn't we get it?

To add: If the population is a issue then why IOC don't have a rule about that?? Is there any rule which say cities with population lower than 50,000 can't bid? They have alimit for hotel rooms, why not populations if that is so important?

Still I wait for GOOD reasons for the so called population, infrastructure, hotell rooms issues.

Sweden just had bad timing. With Ostersund losing the 1994 Games to Lillehammer, they automatically lost out on the next series of bids. Scandinavia is a region of less than 20 million and the only mountain resorts capable of hosting the Winter Games are in Norway and Are. The IOC couldn't justify going back to Scandinavia so quickly, especially since there were other international bids in play.

As for the Games going back to North America with only an 8 year gap between Salt Lake and Vancouver, well, the scenario was different. Salzburg would have immediately followed Torino and the IOC wasn't fully convinced that PyeongChang was ready. Vancouver was the best option and it also lined up Europe to host the 2012 Games.

Every bid session has a complicated series of events and circumstances the help line up one bid over another. An important element, though is timing. And Sweden just hasn't managed the timing aspect of it all that well.

As for the population question, it is of concern because an Olympics requires a number of things to get it going. Employees, volunteers, housing, hotels, the post-Games legacy of the venues...all these are concerns because the Olympics are both a long term thing - 7 years of organization, years of post-games legacy - but they are also a short two-week adventure. They cannot tax a host too much or it will become a disaster.

That's where a focus on creativity, flexibility and sustainability comes into play. And for the country that gave us IKEA, Sweden shouldn't have a problem there. They'll just need a lot of Allen keys. ;)

Edited by Kenadian

Sweden just had bad timing. With Ostersund losing the 1994 Games to Lillehammer, they automatically lost out on the next series of bids. Scandinavia is a region of less than 20 million and the only mountain resorts capable of hosting the Winter Games are in Norway and Are. The IOC couldn't justify going back to Scandinavia so quickly, especially since there were other international bids in play.

As for the Games going back to North America with only an 8 year gap between Salt Lake and Vancouver, well, the scenario was different. Salzburg would have immediately followed Torino and the IOC wasn't fully convinced that PyeongChang was ready. Vancouver was the best option and it also lined up Europe to host the 2012 Games.

Every bid session has a complicated series of events and circumstances the help line up one bid over another. An important element, though is timing. And Sweden just hasn't managed the timing aspect of it all that well.

As for the population question, it is of concern because an Olympics requires a number of things to get it going. Employees, volunteers, housing, hotels, the post-Games legacy of the venues...all these are concerns because the Olympics are both a long term thing - 7 years of organization, years of post-games legacy - but they are also a short two-week adventure. They cannot tax a host too much or it will become a disaster.

That's where a focus on creativity, flexibility and sustainability comes into play. And for the country that gave us IKEA, Sweden shouldn't have a problem there. They'll just need a lot of Allen keys. ;)

I agree with you in everything. Great post. Now we can have a real discussion here.

The swedish bids after 1994 was very bad and totally meanless. They should have wait many years. I still think 2014 is olympics we could have get escpecially if not bidding for 1998 and 2002. The reason to the losses 1998 and 2002 weren't because bad bids it was because Scandinavia hosted it 1994.

About the population. Yes I agree with you there are alot of work. Yes it's the Östersund/Åre who will host it. But they aren't in a own bubble. They will get help from the rest of Sweden's 9 million people. People thinking Östersund is too small bla bla but should rest of Sweden stand up and just look when Östersund/Åre prepares to Olympics? No it's honour to be a part in this work. Other parts of Sweden will surely help especially with possible upgrades of the infrastructure.

• Like 1

As just discussing about Östersund becomes extremely boring, let's change the topic...

Let's discuss about Switzerland. They will probably bid and they could get a strong opponent of Munich. So what would you say, which city should they choose? According to wikipedia the following are interested:

-Geneva

-St. Moritz/Davos (St. Moritz hosted in 1928, 1948; bidded for 1936, 1960)

-Valais (Sion already bidded for 1976, 2002, 2006)

-Berne (already bidded for 2010)

As just discussing about Östersund becomes extremely boring, let's change the topic...

Let's discuss about Switzerland. They will probably bid and they could get a strong opponent of Munich. So what would you say, which city should they choose?

I agree. Switzerland should follow up with either Berne, Geneva or Zurich. They also have several failed bids to their name & are a strong winter sports nation that hasn't hosted in a long time, too. And also has that "nostalgic" winter allure to it.

Let's discuss about Switzerland. They will probably bid and they could get a strong opponent of Munich. So what would you say, which city should they choose? According to wikipedia the following are interested:

-Geneva

-St. Moritz/Davos (St. Moritz hosted in 1928, 1948; bidded for 1936, 1960)

-Valais (Sion already bidded for 1976, 2002, 2006)

-Berne (already bidded for 2010)

Looooooooool, St Moritz/Davos?????? Loool all discuss about Östersund/Åre's population and then you put them in??? Ha ha ha ha!

And what makes Munich as a such great bid?? I'm mean if that great bid didn't won 2018 with their AMAZING population of 2 millions then why should they be a favorite to 2022???

BTW is it confirmed that Munich will bid for 2022?

And what makes Munich as a such great bid?? I'm mean if that great bid didn't won 2018 with their AMAZING population of 2 millions then why should they be a favorite to 2022???

Geopolitics.

First off, lets be fair. Falun was the favourite in 1988 and lost to Calgary, only 5 years after Montreal. Falun was the favourite in 1992 but Samaranch say to that (how boneheaded were the French to bid for both games?) and Ostersund was the favourite for 1994 in an All-European field and lost out because of politicking by the late Norwegian Monarch.

In many respects Sweden has not hosted the games due to politics as much as terrible timing.

As for Switzerland, I still cannot see a compelling reason for the 26 Cantons of Switzerland to support a bid that would benefit only the hosting Canton.

And FYI, Vienna may be far from existing major skiing venues in Austria, but there are suitable mountains within a reasonable distance of the capital that can be further developed into Olympic calibre venues. And the Austrians are not as adverse to development as their Swiss neighbours.