• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh please, such biased idiocy from Athensfan whose stupid SUMMER USA dream will not come true in the NEXT 40 years!!.... /\ Reno is a trend-starter in global political movements of conscience!! Th

For 2022 I'm quite sure that Europe will make it. It's the very fist time that there are 3 consecutive winter games not held in Europe with Vancouver in NA and Sochi and PC in Asia (sure Sochi is part

It has been explained to you COUNTLESS times already "why", but you, just like your "pathetic" lost brother Tulsa, REFUSE/WON'T listen. And what's most "pathetic" of all, is that you're suppose to be

In my mind, 2022 should be ripe for a WOG in traditional winter sport climate and culture after two consequitive exotic games in Korea and Sochi. Furthermore, I think 2022 should be staged in Europe since the last time would be in 2006. (Sochi does not count in my mind, it is on the border to Asia or even, according to some geographers, Russians in particular, located in Asia.) After all, it is in Europe the interest for winter sports are highest and most of the medals won.

Yeah, I really can't see 2022 going anywhere other than the Alps or Scandinavia, for the reason you mentioned (last time in 2006). Trondheim would also be my choice for Norway. Is Oppdal the closest downhill venue possibility for Trondheim?

• Like 1

Yeah, I really can't see 2022 going anywhere other than the Alps or Scandinavia, for the reason you mentioned (last time in 2006). Trondheim would also be my choice for Norway. Is Oppdal the closest downhill venue possibility for Trondheim?

I agree. I understand the arguments in favor of American Games in 2022, but I think the pull to return to a traditional European locale will be strong.

As for the tv deal, there's no telling exactly when it will be decided. However, I think the IOC will wait at least until 2017, by which time 2024 will have already been awarded. So either Summer or Winter Games in the US could help pump up the price on the tv rights. It's not as if Winter Games in 2022 are the only way for the IOC to cash in on the American tv deal.

Yes. Other alpine disciplines could be closer though, but in the 2018 proposal Oppdal had all the alpine skiing, while Vassfjellet 24 km away from the city center had freestyle and snowboard. Vassfjellet should also be suitable for slalom and giant slalom, but I guess they wanted to have the alpine disciplines together. It is also possible to stage at least freestyle and snowboard in a hill about 9 km to the west from the city center.

Regardless of "ambiguous" Sochi, I'd still say that 2022 would be bound for Europe, anyway. More so the Alps, to be specific. I agree that I can't see the IOC going 20 years without going to the Alps, either. However, I do not include Scandinavia in that scenario.

As far as Europe goes for the Winter Games, I always see it as "the Alps", & then there's everywhere else in Europe, i.e. the Pyrenees, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe/Dinaric "Alpes"/Caucasus/Carpathians. At least 10 Winter Games have taken place IN the Alps, while only 4 other Games in the rest of the continent. And since the Alps will be without an Olympics for at least 16 years since 2006 (only the 2nd time the Winter Games have been away from the Alps that long), 2022 seems ripe for an Alpine Games. Either with Germany, Switzerland or dare I say even France.

And as far as Norway is concerned, didn't GB have an article here last year that mentioned that a Norwegian IOC member said that if Norway was interested in another Olympics that the best choice would be Oslo, simply due to the fact that they have most things ready, & the large scope of the Winter Olympics nowadays. I agree with some that Trondheim would be a nice, new alternative, but that article seemed to focus on Oslo & it's chances by an IOC member.

Regarding Norway's bid, that was exactly my point. IOC member Gerhard Heiberg headed the Lillehammer WOG, and there is currently a lot of pro-Oslo people in the boards of the sports associations / NOC currently, so with the process closed, they will probably select Oslo, probably with a Lillehammer satelite again.

However, an Oslo WOG in 2022 is in my mind very unlikely. Firstly, because it will have a hard time getting enough political and popular support. In the 2018 round, the government made it pretty clear that it would not support an Oslo application, and still the same parties are in the government. Secondly, I believe it would be an easy match for M√ľnchen, Sweden, or even Switzerland, if any of these are to apply. An application associated with Lillehammer is simply too soon after 1994, and even the 1952 Oslo games could be a problem. An Oslo-application would also clearly be the least spectacular among the 2018 proposals.

Regarding France, they are clearly not among my personal favorites. A great country, but Albertville was not the best games, and compared with N/S/D their winter sport traditions are limited. I don't really buy your "Alps" argument. The reason that there has been many more games in the Alps than in the Nordics is mainly that there are many more countries with downhill possibilities to choose between there. In Northern Europe we only have Norway and (perhaps) Sweden. Winter nations like Finland, Netherlands, and Estonia will never have a WOG.

• Like 1

I don't really buy your "Alps" argument. The reason that there has been many more games in the Alps than in the Nordics is mainly that there are many more countries with downhill possibilities to choose between there. In Northern Europe we only have Norway and (perhaps) Sweden. Winter nations like Finland, Netherlands, and Estonia will never have a WOG.

What "argument". I merely stated a fact, precisely for the reasons you listed. Thus, it's only logical that the Alps host the Winter Games more often than any other region on the planet, not just other parts of Europe. And after the Winter Games being held in North America in 2010, Eastern Europe in 2014, & then Asia in 2018, it only makes sense that 2022 would seem favorite to head to the Alps, & especially with a candidate like Munich &/or Switzerland.

And all of those economies save USA and Spain are not troubled.

At the moment.... but the whole Eurozone is in trouble.

And the US' problems are nowhere near as bad as Spain's.

I still think 2022 will only have a handful of bidders. There are a lot of possibilities on the horizon, but I doubt they'll all bid. Even Munich and the US are uncertain at this point. I'd be surprised if there were more than four applicants. Of course, I may be surprised.

At the moment.... but the whole Eurozone is in trouble.

And the US' problems are nowhere near as bad as Spain's.

I still think 2022 will only have a handful of bidders. There are a lot of possibilities on the horizon, but I doubt they'll all bid. Even Munich and the US are uncertain at this point. I'd be surprised if there were more than four applicants. Of course, I may be surprised.

I agree, I think the world economy is going to factor into this, even though we're still a ways off from the deadline. The thing about the United States.. some parts of the country have been hit harder than others and it seems like California and Nevada aren't in especially great shape right now. So that might hinder their ability to put forth a bid if the economy doesn't improve. And keep in mind on the summer side, the number of bidders has gone down in every cycle since 2004. Don't know if we're looking at a similar pattern for the Winter Olympics, but it wouldn't surprise me to see as few as 3 or 4 bidders for 2022 and probably not more than that.

Do you think there's a possibility there might be only one or two? It's probably too early to say, but I wonder.....

Do you think there's a possibility there might be only one or two? It's probably too early to say, but I wonder.....

Oops. Sorry.

I wouldn't be surprised to only see two or three bids. My early guess is a German and American bid with the possibility of a Swiss bid (if they ever really decide to fully commit to it). The Asians are out following Pyeongchang 2018. With two new frontiers in a row, also too soon for another like Kazakhstan. Too soon for Canada. The French and Austrians seem to feel burned by past experience. Spain and Italy seem hell bent on Summer Games. And Norway and Sweden seem too prudent to jump in during shaky economic times (although they might also see it as their ripest moment in years, especially Sweden).

This is a very early guess, but I see a Munich vs. Denver battle brewing.

I don't see there being only 2 bids in this day and age. Not with the kind of exposure the Games can give you. I even think 2018 was an anomaly. If there's only 2 bidders, a 3rd city will just try anyway, looking at the lack of competition. And then you get those bidders that are just so geopolitically-hindered but they think they have a chance too. Just because a city/country shouldn't bid doesn't mean they won't.

I don't see there being only 2 bids in this day and age. Not with the kind of exposure the Games can give you. I even think 2018 was an anomaly. If there's only 2 bidders, a 3rd city will just try anyway, looking at the lack of competition. And then you get those bidders that are just so geopolitically-hindered but they think they have a chance too. Just because a city/country shouldn't bid doesn't mean they won't.

Well, they might get more if after this 2020 round and they clamp down on the excessive spending...which is harder for the smaller winter cities, then indeed one might see 3 or 4 for 2022 if the bidding costs are brought down to sane levels.

Well, they might get more if after this 2020 round and they clamp down on the excessive spending...which is harder for the smaller winter cities, then indeed one might see 3 or 4 for 2022 if the bidding costs are brought down to sane levels.

I thought winter bidding costs less too? I still think 2022 will have lots of bidders. I suspect that one of the reasons the 2018 field was so small was because they were holding out for a more open 2022 race, thinking it's anyone's for the taking.

I wouldn't be surprised to only see two or three bids. My early guess is a German and American bid with the possibility of a Swiss bid (if they ever really decide to fully commit to it). The Asians are out following Pyeongchang 2018. With two new frontiers in a row, also too soon for another like Kazakhstan. Too soon for Canada. The French and Austrians seem to feel burned by past experience. Spain and Italy seem hell bent on Summer Games. And Norway and Sweden seem too prudent to jump in during shaky economic times (although they might also see it as their ripest moment in years, especially Sweden).

This is a very early guess, but I see a Munich vs. Denver battle brewing.

I hope not, I would have no idea who to support.

But it's win-win! I felt that during the 2010 race... it's a good feeling.

It could also be lose-lose, if they both lose to Sweden or Austria or Norway or Kazakhstan. The later being a joke, they still have have that Jew problem.

It could also be lose-lose, if they both lose to Sweden or Austria or Norway or Kazakhstan. The later being a joke, they still have have that Jew problem.

True, but it's nice to have 2 horses in the race. I think my support for both Vancouver and Pyeongchang was the main reason why I didn't join these boards earlier. Pyeongchang was taking a beating here, but I would have been just as happy to see Vancouver take 2010, so I didn't care much to defend Pyeongchang at the time. That, and Andrew8 was doing such a great job lol.

I also can't decide who I want for 2022. I want the US, but I also want Munich/Ostersund/Davos/Trondheim. It's win-win for me if they all bid.

I'll feel exactly the same way if it turns out to be Munich versus Ostersund ... in which case I'll have to support Reno.

Oh, please! Say it ain't so!

I still think Munich can beat anybody. There's been such a long drought of German Games. They're a sports powerhouse. They definitely have the know-how and the venues.. Plus, they're getting a raw deal with the Eurozone crisis.

I'll feel exactly the same way if it turns out to be Munich versus Ostersund ... in which case I'll have to support Reno.

Oh, please! Say it ain't so!

I still think Munich can beat anybody. There's been such a long drought of German Games. They're a sports powerhouse. They definitely have the know-how and the venues.. Plus, they're getting a raw deal with the Eurozone crisis.

Aargh! my iphone's giving me grief! Sorry again about the double posting.