Winter 2022

• 9 months later...

news form Ukraine

Winter Olympics 2022 national project to be approved soon

In the coming days, the Cabinet will approve the national project on the Winter Olympics 2022, chairman of the State Agency for Investments and National Projects Vladyslav Kaskiv said during the presentation of feasibility study of the "Olympic hope - 2022" national project.

"The "Olympic hope - 2022" national project has un urgent need for approval by the government. Adoption of the feasibility study is a key step of Ukraine's success in applying for hosting the Olympics 2012," Kaskiv said.

Also, according to him, this decision will allow to implement the agreements with investors for the financing of ski resorts and ensure the implementation of the national action plan approved by the President of Ukraine in 2012. "There is practically no time for the implementation of these tasks," Kaskiv said.

"The key task of the "Olympic hope - 2022" national project is to create a new industry of winter tourism in the Carpathians, to ensure the economic development of the western region of Ukraine," he added.

According to the analysis of the State Agency for Investments and National Projects, the implementation of "Olympic hope - 2022" national project will increase the gross regional product by 5% in Lviv region and by 3% in the Carpathians. According to Kaskiv, this would allow to return thousands of immigrants to Ukraine and create tens of thousands of jobs.

http://en.for-ua.com.../17/145229.html

• 2 weeks later...

2022 should go to either Munich or Oslo.

I think Munich has a good chance of being the first city to host the Summer and Winter Olympics now that the US is not interested in bidding. Barcelona might compete to win that title if Madrid doesn't make it in 2020.

I think Graubunden should not be ruled out as well. The Swiss haven't hosted the Olympics in ages and that country is pretty much the IOC's base of operations.

My sympathies are for Munich, but I wouldn't be surprise to see Switzerland deny Munich again.

The good thing about that is it might "free" Germany to have a go at another Summer bid.

I think another loss for a munich bid will only offend the DOSB and they won´t bid for a long time.

They don´t have the endurance to go for 2 or 3 bids in a row.

When they lose it´s for them more a "they don´t like us" than "they like the others more". Do you know what I mean?

I think it's totally fair to say that Olympic losses resonate differently in different cultures. No one is obligated to weather a long string of unsuccessful bids until they finally win. Everyone is not required to play Pyeongchang. If a country decides it's had enough loss for a while, we shouldn't think any less of them -- whether it's Germany, the USA or France. One thing's certain, however... It WON'T be Qatar.....

One city I haven't heard mentioned yet is the city of Bemidji, Minnesota. Fits perfectly into this whole "Native American" theme the Winter Olympics have been going for the past couple go arounds, they have good mountains, in fact, plenty of mountains. Hotels shouldn't be a problem.

Now u're just plain being silly.

One city I haven't heard mentioned yet is the city of Bemidji, Minnesota. Fits perfectly into this whole "Native American" theme the Winter Olympics have been going for the past couple go arounds, they have good mountains, in fact, plenty of mountains. Hotels shouldn't be a problem.

This being a Winter 2022 thread, it's pretty pointless to mention any American cities since the USOC has already said they won't be fielding a bid. Not that anyone here still thinks you're trying to make a serious point anymore.

None of the mountains are remotely close to being big enough - 800m minimum vertical drop. There isn't a mountain in Minnesota that is even 800m tall

• 6 years later...
On 7/14/2011 at 3:59 PM, Pillan said:

What do you mean? From now it's only the superpowers as Russia, USA and China who can host the games?? How funny is that?? Do IOC want to see the games in the same countries every year?? Pathetic argument.

Why should Rougge say that if he wants to be dipomatic?? Escpecially when he said it AFTER Sochi's winning? How diplomatic is that? Even if he said it during the meeting it's not very nice and diplomatic against the bidding countries. Sweden was drawn out for along time before the WOG 2014 was decided.

OMG, now this "pathetic argument" is gaining value, isn't it? :D :P 

Also, Rogge was a salesman. That was "diplomatic". He even said Guadalajara, Durban, Doha and Kuala Lumpur were ready for SOG.

On 7/14/2011 at 6:40 PM, Pillan said:

Acutally Åre has been named the best ski resort in the world the #1 ski resort in the world by the magazine Condé Nast Traveller. Let me guess, Sochi hasn't such geat response as winter resort??

For me it sounds that you are afraid of Sweden bidding and try to put it down.

And still famous athletes like Lindsey Vonn supported Cortina as better ski resort and was really critical of Are

But hey, maybe these 47 voters were Norwegian/German/USA lovers who were afraid of Sweden.

• 1 year later...

Bach to the Sochi discussion: First of all it's completely senslsess to talk about on which continent Sochi is located because there is no rotation systeme like at FIFA world cup. So two consecutive olympics in Asia - why not... 

But as the Kuma–Manych Depression is the European-Asian border, Sochi is located in Asia (geographically speaking). And if you take the Caucasus as the border, you will find Sochi still in Asia as it is in the south of the Caucasus.

Back to the 2022 olympics: I'm not sure if an American bid would be successful because we had the last North American games 2010 in Vancouver, but the last (real) European games in 2006. And as I already said, since Ibk 1976 we've had 4 NA games (therefrom 3 rockies games) but only 2 Alps games. So I think the Alps bids are the favourites and therefrom Munich is far ahead at the moment.

But we will see...  Maybe Qatar will host next winter games, who knows... 

GAMETABLES4LESS, LLC

5 hours ago, ashelybrown said:

Bach to the Sochi discussion: First of all it's completely senslsess to talk about on which continent Sochi is located because there is no rotation systeme like at FIFA world cup. So two consecutive olympics in Asia - why not... 

But as the Kuma–Manych Depression is the European-Asian border, Sochi is located in Asia (geographically speaking). And if you take the Caucasus as the border, you will find Sochi still in Asia as it is in the south of the Caucasus.

Back to the 2022 olympics: I'm not sure if an American bid would be successful because we had the last North American games 2010 in Vancouver, but the last (real) European games in 2006. And as I already said, since Ibk 1976 we've had 4 NA games (therefrom 3 rockies games) but only 2 Alps games. So I think the Alps bids are the favourites and therefrom Munich is far ahead at the moment.

But we will see...  Maybe Qatar will host next winter games, who knows... 

GAMETABLES4LESS, LLC

The phrase "beggars can't be choosers" very much applies here.  The IOC can't be pick in terms of what region they would like to see bid for an Olympics.  They can only select from cities that are interested and offer up a bid.  We only have 2 consecutive Winter Olympics in Asia because the IOC literally had no alternative for 2022.  Otherwise, if there had been a European city in the running at the end, they would have more than likely won the bid over Beijing.