Winter 2022

^Oh, I totally agree with you. I even said in an earlier post that a lot of people, including the media & pundits, intertwine the Winter & Summer Olympics like glue. While you could arguably debate that to a degree, I also agree that one can't draw any definitive conclusions based on any one past vote result, like 2010 for example.

I was mainly referring moreso though, apples to apples (summer to summer) & oranges to oranges (winter to winter). Since WWII, the IOC has done a very balanced job at alternating the *Summer* Olympics between the continents when having the choice to do so.

Considering IOC members were lining up Western European bids for 2012, it only left Vancouver as the main option. If Sochi had bid for 2010 maybe they could have won.

Right after Turin 2006? And what about those IOC members that were "lining-up" 2012 Western European bids? Wouldn't a Sochi 2010 thwarted all their 2012 bidding plans? Too many holes there.

Right after Turin 2006? And what about those IOC members that were "lining-up" 2012 Western European bids? Wouldn't a Sochi 2010 thwarted all their 2012 bidding plans? Too many holes there.

When Vancouver won in 2003 the announcers were keep stressing the European IOC members wanted a "prestigious" European city to host 2012, that is why Salzburg was eliminated in first round.

Keep in mind even after Turin 2006 you would have had Beijing and then another non European games if the games were to be held in Europe in 2012.

I don't think a Sochi 2010 win would have been a nail in the coffin, because that would have likely meant a Canada win in 2014 (ruling out bids from New York/Toronto).

FYI I think you are associating correlation with caustality when it comes to the Alps gaps.

The Alpine Region: Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Carpathian Region: Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Ukraine, Romania, Poland, Serbia

Caucasus Region: Turkey, Iran, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia, Georgia

Dinaric Alps: Bosnia, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro

Scandinavian Region: Norway, Sweden, Finland

Can you know see why one of the major European ranges have hosted regularly compared to any other.

And I'm not mixing summer with winter anymore so than anyone else on here. People are always doing it, even the pundits & media outlets. It's almost the nature of the beast. However, I do it much less than most people, tbh. Since I don't think the 2 different types of Games should be intertwined as much as a lot of people like to intertwine them. Yeah, the IOC wasn't going to go 16 years without going to back Europe. But yet, somehow, the same reasoning can't be applied to the Alps, even if 2020 falls in Europe too (now how is that not mixing summer & winter games)? The IOC is also not going to have that long of a stretch without Alpine Games.

Agree to a certain extent. I think 2022 is going back to traditional Europe, which includes the Alps but also Scandinavia as well. I don't see geopolitics hindering Sweden. Other issues, maybe. But not geopolitics. Patterns (and it's more of a coincidence than a pattern) are meant to be broken.

When Vancouver won in 2003 the announcers were keep stressing the European IOC members wanted a "prestigious" European city to host 2012, that is why Salzburg was eliminated in first round.

Keep in mind even after Turin 2006 you would have had Beijing and then another non European games if the games were to be held in Europe in 2012.

I don't think a Sochi 2010 win would have been a nail in the coffin, because that would have likely meant a Canada win in 2014 (ruling out bids from New York/Toronto).

Again, I don't entirely see how that logic follows though. I do agree that the Euro members did view the 2010 host voting as a set-up for 2012 (although Salzburg got eliminated in the 1st round of the 2014 host vote as well, so there might be something to that as well), but you can't dismiss PC considering how close they came. Let's say they had won.. the only effect it would likely have had on the 2012 race is that Toronto would have probably bid then, but I doubt the end result would have been different. But let's say there had been some surefire Euro candidate for 2010 that the IOC couldn't pass up and let's say they had managed to pull off the win. Would that have preclude Europe from taking 2012? Especially when the options were less than stellar bids from Moscow and New York (although again, who knows where Toronto would have figured into that).

• Like 1

Agree to a certain extent. I think 2022 is going back to traditional Europe, which includes the Alps but also Scandinavia as well. I don't see geopolitics hindering Sweden. Other issues, maybe. But not geopolitics. Patterns (and it's more of a coincidence than a pattern) are meant to be broken.

I don't think the IOC giving the Winter Olympic to the Alps on a regular basis is a "coincidence". That's like saying Europe, by coincidence, usually gets every other Summer Olympic Games. Coincidence is the Asian "8's" theory. It's merely coincidence that the IOC has happened to award Asia an Olympics on the '8's' since 1988. And that is a recent set pattern that could be broken by Tokyo 2020.

And to me 'tradition' is something that is a long, established pattern. Scandinivia hasn't hosted regularly. They have a traditional winter sports history, but not when it comes to hosting. If that were the case, then we can include Russia in there as well. But yet many still argue that Sochi is a "new frontier" despite Russia having a long, winter sports tradition.

The only way I could see Scandivinia being a favorite for 2022, is if there are no strong Alpine bids in the mix like Munich. And that's how it was in the 1994 race when Ostersund was viewed as the favorite, & it's only other main European competition was another Scandinavian town.

I don't think the IOC giving the Winter Olympic to the Alps on a regular basis is a "coincidence". That's like saying Europe, by coincidence, usually gets every other Summer Olympic Games. Coincidence is the Asian "8's" theory. It's merely coincidence that the IOC has happened to award Asia an Olympics on the '8's' since 1988. And that is a recent set pattern that could be broken by Tokyo 2020.

But giving the WOG to the Alps at least every 16 years could be. Of course the WOGs should go back to the Alps more than anywhere else, but they're in competition with some pretty strong potential candidates from Scandinavia, only one of whom could take the Games when it's "Europe's turn." (Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see a back-to-back Alps-Scandinavia Games one day, but that's a different story)

The sample size of winter hosts isn't large enough to establish any kind of "at least every 16 years" rule. Two Alps games 20 or even 24 years apart isn't out of the question; just because we haven't seen it yet doesn't mean it can't happen. Flip a coin 20 times and you might not get 6 tails in a row. Flip the coin 50 times, and you just might see 6 consecutive tails.

Encouraged by Intoronto1125 and his love on winter sports, the authorities of Rio de Janeiro think to launch the city's bid for Winter Olympics, since Brazil is doing really great in these sports, qualifying 3 athletes to Sochi 2014, a truly Winter Olympics power. <_<

Encouraged by Intoronto1125 and his love on winter sports, the authorities of Rio de Janeiro think to launch the city's bid for Winter Olympics, since Brazil is doing really great in these sports, qualifying 3 athletes to Sochi 2014, a truly Winter Olympics power. <_<

3 for a tropical nation is good. I am sure its more then 3. Maybe 5-6? Argentina had 7 in Vancouver (when it has the mountains). Be proud of your country.

It was done because the main city withdrew. Barcelona is still wanting to bid for 2022.

It happened because: (1) the Zaragozans realized that all the Spanish NOC's energy and resources are being put into this 2020 Do-or-Die bid for Madrid. I doubt that the Spaniards will be back for anything in 2022 or the next 2 or 3 cycles, win or lose. Not unless they are total masochists.

(2) So certainly the Zaragozans realize that the SNOC and their financial backers--not to mention the state of the Spanish economy--will be all spent when the 2020 race is over and done with. So they know there will be nothing left for even a semi-strong bid to have any realistic shot at victory.

(3) Barcelona can't duplicate a Munich or Vancouver bid. They are primarily a temperate urban area.

It happened because: (1) the Zaragozans realized that all the Spanish NOC's energy and resources are being put into this 2020 Do-or-Die bid for Madrid. I doubt that the Spaniards will be back for anything in 2022 or the next 2 or 3 cycles, win or lose. Not unless they are total masochists.

(2) So certainly the Zaragozans realize that the SNOC and their financial backers--not to mention the state of the Spanish economy--will be all spent when the 2020 race is over and done with. So they know there will be nothing left for even a semi-strong bid to have any realistic shot at victory.

(3) Barcelona can't duplicate a Munich or Vancouver bid. They are primarily a temperate urban area.

I just read a Spanish news report and wrote what I read here. :lol:

In fact, the main reason is that Zaragoza's Mayor, after the local elections in March, did not get the support from some political parties to keep on with the bid.

(Altough the other reasons given could also be true :D)

Edited by skicross

The sample size of winter hosts isn't large enough to establish any kind of "at least every 16 years" rule. Two Alps games 20 or even 24 years apart isn't out of the question; just because we haven't seen it yet doesn't mean it can't happen. Flip a coin 20 times and you might not get 6 tails in a row. Flip the coin 50 times, and you just might see 6 consecutive tails.

I never said it was a "rule", only that it's a matter of choice when the options are available. The only way the Alps could not see a Winter Olympics in 20 or 24 years is if, again, there were no (strong) Alpine bids (like in the case of the 16-year gap) coming in the next couple of Winter bidding cycles, which would be extremely unlikely. And I would like to think that IOC members would take their votes much more seriously than just a 'flip of the coin'. Although, there might be a couple of trivial members like that.

It could be argued that despite Turin 2006 and Albertville 1992, there hasn't been a Winter Olympics in the German speaking Alps since 1976.

Part of this was due to acceptable bids but with Salzburg failing twice, then Munich, there might be sufficient impetous to give it to a Germanic area again

Disagree...but nice signature graphic, Demetrius!!

Munich is lousy. Not enuf snow and NO primeval forests!! Hope the farmers raise a bigger ruckus this time!!

Thank you!

Do I answer? You are talking to the wrong people :lol:

I just think that Munich is the best candidate for Europe in 2022...

3 for a tropical nation is good. I am sure its more then 3. Maybe 5-6? Argentina had 7 in Vancouver (when it has the mountains). Be proud of your country.

I'm proud of our athletes, even wasting our money doing tourism in Winter Games. I already said that, it's nice to see the Brazilian flag in Winter Games, despite the fact we have less than supporting role in the event.

And Argentina is not a serious country.