Winter 2022

You do realize the last time a games were won by a country that didn't have significant clout within the IOC was in 1991 right? Turkey is not the favourite, not even close. They do not have connections, they don't have high profile IF members, they have a long and storied history of medicore bids and being out-campaigned at almost every competition they enter. It would be an absolute shock for Istanbul to win. Who is their voting block? The Arab votes would go to Qatar and then Japan, Asian votes to Tokyo, African votes would be a mixed bag, as would ones from the Americas and the Europeans would be camped behind one of Tokyo, Rome or Madrid depending on their own ambitions. Turkey isn't a popular country and politically their current government is not well liked in both the Arab and European spheres. Add to it, absolutely no experience hosting major sporting events and there you have it.

Hmmmm. I've been reading a few articles lately - at insidethegames.com and sportbusinessnews.com etc - indicating IOC insiders are considering Istanbul the favourite this time around.

Istanbul, who will be bidding for a fifth time in six Olympics, are seen as the favourites by many experts within the Olympic Movement but are listed only at 6/1 by Hills, which will be seen as outstanding value.

insidethegames.com

I tend to agree - I think it has so many factors lined up in its favour this time.

Edited by Sir Rols

I kinda like the idea of Istanbul. It certainly would be in keeping with recent trends.

Rols, who do you see voting for them? That's an honest question. I'm having trouble seeing how they would make it through the rounds. I imagine they would be a lot of people's second or third choice, but I'm not sure that's sufficient....

I guess they'd really have to go after north and south America, Africa and Oceania and hope they squeeze through the first round and can pick up enough votes to last. The juggernaut is Rome/Madrid. Whichever goes first is likely to see the majority of their votes go to the other. I can see Istanbul benefitting from the elimination of Doha, Baku and Tokyo.

I just worry that they don't have enough clout to out-maneuver the politics of Rome and Madrid. Tokyo is a real threat too...

I kinda like the idea of Istanbul. It certainly would be in keeping with recent trends.

Rols, who do you see voting for them? That's an honest question. I'm having trouble seeing how they would make it through the rounds. I imagine they would be a lot of people's second or third choice, but I'm not sure that's sufficient....

Honestly, the same type of members who voted for Rio ... and they weren't all Latin Americans.

I think it's ridiculous to say "only muslim countries will vote for Istanbul ... and they'll go for Doha first" etc. Cultural and regional/national voting blocs are waaaay over-estimated- for any bid, they'd count for a handful of votes at most. I wouldn't even be surprised to see many of the Europeans go for them rather than Rome or Madrid in the hopes the "Eurasian" candidate doesn't totally rule them out for 2024. And as we've seen the past few votes - sentiment and a "story" is starting to count a lot. I think istanbul has that in spades.

Really, I don't think there's any standout contender for 2020 yet - I'd just rule out Baku and Doha.

Honestly, the same type of members who voted for Rio ... and they weren't all Latin Americans.

I think it's ridiculous to say "only muslim countries will vote for Istanbul ... and they'll go for Doha first" etc. Cultural and regional/national voting blocs are waaaay over-estimated- for any bid, they'd count for a handful of votes at most. I wouldn't even be surprised to see many of the Europeans go for them rather than Rome or Madrid in the hopes the "Eurasian" candidate doesn't totally rule them out for 2024. And as we've seen the past few votes - sentiment and a "story" is starting to count a lot. I think istanbul has that in spades.

Really, I don't think there's any standout contender for 2020 yet - I'd just rule out Baku and Doha.

All that makes sense. I guess it's really the European members I expect to rally around their own. I didn't mean to suggest that all members would vote for the candidate from their own continent. It will be interesting to see who Istanbul attracts.

This race will be an interesting barometer of how important influence within the IOC actually is. Italy and Spain have tons. Japan, Turkey, Qatar and Azerbaijan have slim to none. Very interesting.

Sorry about the detour. Back to 2022....

Considering it's almost four years to the deadline for applicants, and there's already been lots of mooting of possibe bids from various NOCs, I think that's far too early to state, and probably already wrong.

Totally agree.

I'm surprised that for a potential American candidate the following city hasn't thrown its hat into the ring:

Portland, Oregon.

The alpine events could be held at Mount Hood - there are a number of resorts which could in themselves share the alpine events with Mount Hood Meadows have the all important vertical drop of 1100m.

It is also connected to Portland (100km, 67miles distant) along the Mount Hood Highway.

Portland itself already has a number of indoor facilities that can be used

- The Rose Garden (18,860) home of the Trailblazers

- The Memorial Coliseum (10,407)the WinterHawks

- Chiles Center (4,852)

The Portland State Vikings also are planning a new area to replace the Stott Center

It seems to me that covers Curling, Figure Skating and two Ice Hockey arenas?

There is also the Oregon Convention Center and I wonder as some like Torino 2006 have been adapted from the speed skating venue, if this could not be done temporarily in reverse.

Jeld Wen Field would need to be increased from the current 22,000 to host the opening ceremonies but this is possible and with the Timbers and Vikings there are already two tenants.

There is also an international airport with flights to both Europe and Asia.

It would be a big challenger to both Denver and Reno-Lake Tahoe

The Cascades get massive amounts of snow but I don't know if Portland would feel wintry enough. Still, it's a great place on a very human scale without Denver's baggage. But the fact is that is hasn't thrown its hat into the ring.

The possibility that Oslo might bid got me thinking. Another Norwegian Games would be a runaway success with great conditions and knowledgeable, passionate crowds. But a third Games for Norway when Sweden hasn't hosted a single Winter Olympics and Germany hasn't done so as a modern nation makes me think that a Swedish bid or another attempt from Munich would be a better winner.

I just hope it isn't the case that the Games have become too big for any viable Swedish host city. If that is the case then the number of global locations with potential to host the Winter Games will have become even smaller than it already is.

So 2022 looks like a USA VS Munich battle. I off course want Munich or another European bid to win so Toronto has at least a shot at 2024. :lol:

Of course! Muchich vs US!! Lets hope Munich wins! :D

Who needs rainy Portland, boring Oslo and bloody Munich when you got sparkling Reno, the crown jewel of the Sierra Nevadas??? :lol:

Hope Reno doesnt wins... I wanna see Chicago 2024!

All I know about Portland's only Olympic ambitions is that they tried for the 1968 Summer Olympics. But haven't done anything else for either Summer or Winter since then. While the Summer Games now would be outta their realm, the Winter Games could be feasible. Too bad they're not making any noise about it, though.

All I know about Portland's only Olympic ambitions is that they tried for the 1968 Summer Olympics. But haven't done anything else for either Summer or Winter since then. While the Summer Games now would be outta their realm, the Winter Games could be feasible. Too bad they're not making any noise about it, though.

Too soon after Vancouver?

If Denver was filled with rabid greenies in 1972, imagine that infestation 100% worse in Portland today. THat's why Portland will never be caught dead bidding for anything like a Winter, much less a Winter YOGs!! :lol:

Well, I would've thought that Vancouver could've been too soon only 8 years after Salt Lake. 2022 would be 12 years after 2010. Plus, you could almost say the same about Reno or Denver. And especially when you throw in Salt Lake into the mix.

This is why I suspect 2022 will go to Europe. Its possible for the US, but far from a sure thing.

If Denver was filled with rabid greenies in 1972, imagine that infestation 100% worse in Portland today. THat's why Portland will never be caught dead bidding for anything like a Winter, much less a Winter YOGs!! :lol:

With only the ski jumping site to be constructed and with Mount Hood resorts already being expanded, I am uncertain how that would be an issue. It could be marketed as the 'Green games' - with Portland being used an example of how a largish city can effectively implement a managed transport system.

There are two Swiss bids I think which are strong contenders

I think there were originally five areas that expressed interest.

Lucerne/Central Switzerland dropped out of contention - a pity as they did seem to have several venues and potential venues.

Bern will be held back due to the vote against the canditure in 2010 which led to them withdrawing. Geneva will be problematic as the Alpine events are proposed to be held 199km away.

Valais could be an option. Verbier, Zermatt, and Crans-Montana are all available for alpine events whilst Sion could be the central city. They have a possible opening ceremonies venue BUT there is a lack of indoor areas. Of course EHC Visp could provide the secondary ice hockey venue. All the events would be within a single canton

Graubunden could however be a very strong contender. Again a single canton. Ice Hockey could be held at Davos which has a leading Swiss team, as well as the canton capital Chur which has another reasonable sized arena. There is the world famous bobsleigh track at St Moritz which could also hold another ice event. Alpine events are no problem. There is an existing speed skating venue in Davos which can be upgraded. All that is lacking is ski-jumping but in building this facility it would deal with the opening ceremonies facility. Davos 2022 could be tough to beat especially as the Swiss last held a games in 1948

That's a massive IF that they can get financing and a venue plan. Not that Denver isn't in the same boat, especially with the transportation issues.

So if the USOC pushes a bid for 2022, they essentially have 2 polar opposite bids. Reno-Tahoe is ideal for the outdoor venues, but severely lacking on the indoor venues. Denver would be ideal for the indoor venues (they also have a 76,000 seat stadium for the ceremonies.. I'd like to see Reno match that) but have lots of questions with the outdoor venues. That's why I want to see what both cities/regions have to offer. All things being equal (interest level, financial support, and yes we'd remiss if we didn't factor in 1976), Denver seems like the clear pick over Reno-Tahoe. So that's what the RTWGC is up against. I would love to see them put their best foot forward, but I remain less than convinced that they have the ability to put together a winning bid, and no amount of scenics from a couple of mountaintops is going to seal the deal for them.

That's the thing, though. It would be easier to get things accomplished with the indoor venues than trying to link up the outdoor venues with massive transportation upgrades. It doesn't matter what great indoor arenas Denver has if getting to the outdoor ones will be cumbersome & long. And upgrading them would be a greater challenge (with all the money they would need to so) than Reno dealing with their issues. Although, they would need to scrap that Sacramento outlook. That in itself makes a Reno bid cumbersome.

And would Reno have to match Denver with a 76,000 seat stadium. No Winter Olympic host has ever had one that big. Not Salt Lake. Even Sochi, that's building it from scratch, is only seating 40,000. Denver has one that big simply because they have an NFL team. Reno does not. 76,000 is more into Summer Olympic stadium numbers.

Oslo have now got the backing of the NOC to bid for 2022.

At the moment they are sticking to the notion of using Kvitfjell because of the high speed rail link to Lillehammer as well as the bobsleigh run there, but if the IOC still don't jump for this, they do have the fall back option of Norefjell, which is half the distance and which was previously used in 1952 and is about 65miles away

If a more local bobsleigh run is used and the Korketrekken could be rebuilt, then they are a major contender. They have all the pre-requisite indoor arenas including the Telenor Arena which could be temporarily utilised for a major 15,000+ indoor arena. Oslo also has two icehockey teams in the GET-ligaen. The Oslo Spektrum can also be used as a facility whilst there has been plans to covert the outdoor speed skating rink at Valle Hovin into an indoor facility. And the Tryvann ski resort is local for snowboarding events and maybe slalom too.

So everything is in place or could be comparatively easily upgraded. Add to this the Holmenkollbakken with a capacity of 50,000 (opening ceremonies)

And since Lillehammer, they've now built their new international airport at Gardermoen, which is now the 6th largest in Europe.

As Scandinavia has not held since 1994 - the Alps were used in 2006, the Rockies in 2002 and 2010, a really strong Nordic contender if they can readjust their thinking re-Kvitfjell, could be a the favourite especially as the IOC does seem to have a soft spot for Norway.