Winter 2022

A smattering of players do not a league or season make.

I also wouldn't rate ice hockey as THE premiere event at the WOGs - ratings and interest-wise (apart from Canada), I'd put ice dancing, figure skating and the blue riband downhill events in that category.

True, however South Korea and Italy have had NHL players before.

You're putting too much of an emphasis on hockey when you talk about WOG hosts. Jim Paek and Richard Park hardly have an affect on the current state of Korean hockey today (unless the then-likely-retired Park comes out of retirement, and he's already 35 today).

I also wouldn't rate ice hockey as THE premiere event at the WOGs - ratings and interest-wise (apart from Canada), I'd put ice dancing, figure skating and the blue riband downhill events in that category.

You're putting too much of an emphasis on hockey when you talk about WOG hosts. Jim Paek and Richard Park hardly have an affect on the current state of Korean hockey today (unless the then-likely-retired Park comes out of retirement, and he's already 35 today).

@SirRols it was (the gold medal final) the highest rated event at the Olympics world wide for the last three winter games. Off course those events are considered blue ribbon (minues I can't stand figure skating :lol:).

@Gangwon Maybe you are right, but I for one want to see a host nation that would at least have a chance of scoring goals, and maybe the IOC would like that as well. I read somewhere that Korea wanted to spend half a billion :blink: euros between now and 2018 (a majority on hockey) developing the sport. BTW Richard Park is still playing and would likely continue to play until when he is 42 and end is career playing for the team at the Olympics.

@SirRols it was (the gold medal final) the highest rated event at the Olympics world wide for the last three winter games. Off course those events are considered blue ribbon (minues I can't stand figure skating :lol:).

@Gangwon Maybe you are right, but I for one want to see a host nation that would at least have a chance of scoring goals, and maybe the IOC would like that as well. I read somewhere that Korea wanted to spend half a billion :blink: euros between now and 2018 (a majority on hockey) developing the sport. BTW Richard Park is still playing and would likely continue to play until when he is 42 and end is career playing for the team at the Olympics.

Yes I'm sure the IOC would love to have high tv ratings for hockey, but that's just one among many considerations for choosing a host. Who knows, maybe 2018 will smash all previous records world-wide for the short track events. B)

Yes I'm sure the IOC would love to have high tv ratings for hockey, but that's just one among many considerations for choosing a host. Who knows, maybe 2018 will smash all previous records world-wide for the short track events. B)

Short track speed skating is my favourite sport at the winter games. China/South Korea at prime time watching. Lets go!!

Forget the Southern Hemisphere hosting the Winter Games. It just isn't going to happen any time soon.

There were over 2600 athletes competing at the Vancouver Games and about 2500 at the Torino Games. Fewer than 100 were from the Southern Hemisphere, and very few from that group are in the elite status of winter sport. Completely throwing the season out of whack for a novelty Games just isn't fair to the vast majority athletes. Sorry folks...but those nations "down under" have a long, long way to go before they can justify hosting the Olympic Winter Games in the middle of August.

Good lord Chile will not host the games in 2022.

They sent three!!! athletes to Vancouver in one! sport.

Although I wouldn't mind a games in Chile.

For sure, Chile won't get the Olympics soon, especially considering the small coverage of the winter sports for most of the population. Although the ski centers are less than 40kms away, most of the people of Santiago don't visit them.

So, a potential Chilean bid in 2022 would be more about awareness of the city and about the winter sports in the country.

if new zealand builds up a respectable hockey team and pours good money into other sports i can see them winning.

In any case, I would say a WOG in Chile would be more interesting. Santiago itself has more population than whole New Zealand and better ski centers. I think South America has a great potential to increase the participation in Winter Olympics... not only Chile, but also nearby Argentina and Brazil (most of the people currently at the ski resorts are from Brazil).

Of course, we must start developing the winter sports before getting the Olympics.

Interesting news, but not a good start with their bid by using illegally thee olympic rings in their logo...

I know, but this is something "amateur", more about an awareness campaign than a real bidding intention.

Forget the Southern Hemisphere hosting the Winter Games. It just isn't going to happen any time soon.

There were over 2600 athletes competing at the Vancouver Games and about 2500 at the Torino Games. Fewer than 100 were from the Southern Hemisphere, and very few from that group are in the elite status of winter sport. Completely throwing the season out of whack for a novelty Games just isn't fair to the vast majority athletes. Sorry folks...but those nations "down under" have a long, long way to go before they can justify hosting the Olympic Winter Games in the middle of August.

Most of those athletes in fact are currently training in Santiago, Bariloche or other places.

In fact, in past years the first stages of the FIS Snowboard World Cup has taken place in Santiago and Chapelco, in early september.

Certainly, a potential Southern Hemisphere bid should have some schedule problems, but I don't think it something a really good bid can't solve.

I assume the deadline for 2022 applications is in two years time.

Who else is relishing the prospect of two years of Reno-Denver argy bargy?

:unsure:

Yes. You are right. I was just thinking about that. I can't bear this for two more years.

I'm just really afraid that the USOC will throw away all hope of Summer Games and hitch their wagon to Reno instead. That thought is so upsetting that I don't know how to let the Reno-lovers go unanswered.

I'm sure it does make for tedious reading for everyone else. I'm sorry. I'll try to reign in my "But, but, but!!!!!!" I can't promise not to engage at all though.... Especially now that Baron has put "Reno is ready" in his signature. Nothing could be farther than the truth. How can they be ready without VENUES??!! :huh:

Yes. You are right. I was just thinking about that. I can't bear this for two more years.

Oh well, as someone with hopes for Sweden or Munich, a new US Civil War for biding rights is not totally unwelcome. I wanna see Sarah Palin start pushing another Anchorage bid into the fray.

;)

I think we've discussed this before. Boston was mentioned but because of the distances it might not be possible. Boise, Idaho and Sacramento.

Boise would be kind of interesting, to have it in a different part of the US.

Come to think of it, I'd support most US Winter Games, with the exception of Anchorage. I love the north too much to see it change.

Is Boise really a legitimate option? Have they been making any noise about bidding at all? Have they hosted any major events? These are honest questions -- I'm genuinely unfamilar with their level of potential.

I suppose the mascot could be a figure-skating potato....