Winter 2022

I agree with completely!!

Also the SOC president said Sweden is too small to host SOG. Yes he think even Stockholm is too small for SOG. But he seriously consider to bid for 2022 WOG. This means he think Östersund/Åre can bid for WOG despite their population. I believe him more than the Sweden haters in here. Why should he pay money on a bid he don't think can win?

Yes, I do trust the SOK to be hard-headed and realistic about what's achievable for Sweden - and what isn't.

Wow went on a five days vacation and this thread explodes :D

No, we Canadians are not oppose of a Sweden Games like Pillan would like to believe. It's just that speaking for myself, I do not think Sweden "deserves" a game over any other regions. Not one city does! If Sweden put up an excellent bid for 2022 then yeah of course they should win. The problem will be if Sweden CAN put up a bid that will be technically AND emotionally charged up the IOC over other very strong Euro cities.

And for the record Pillian, I never said Canada deserves another OWG soon, just as I never said the Games should be awarded based on medal rankings as you accused me of. Stop putting words in other people's mouth.

Wow went on a five days vacation and this thread explodes :D

No, we Canadians are not oppose of a Sweden Games like Pillan would like to believe. It's just that speaking for myself, I do not think Sweden "deserves" a game over any other regions. Not one city does! If Sweden put up an excellent bid for 2022 then yeah of course they should win. The problem will be if Sweden CAN put up a bid that will be technically AND emotionally charged up the IOC over other very strong Euro cities. And for the record Pillian, I never said Canada deserves another OWG soon, just as I never said the Games should be awarded based on medal rankings as you accused me of. Stop putting words in other people's mouth.

And WHY couldn't Sweden do that?? Only icehockey would be more emotionally than the other European cities... Technially?? What do you think Sweden is?? A poor country??

Thank you!! And it's number 3 which confuse me most! Why are some canadians against Sweden? Shouldn't hockey be a big reason to why Canadians should support Sweden? Rather than Germany or Switzerland. Which game would be most popular? Canada against the host Switzerland or Canada against the host Sweden, especially if NHL players participates?

Which town has 10,000?

PILAN I have never said I wouldn't support a Swedish bid, I said I wouldn't support an Are bid by itself, the city I was refering to having 10,000 people.

About Östersund/Åre airport: It's an international airport. It have destinatios from/to London, Copenhagen, Moscow, St Peterburg, Amsterdam. and of course Stockholm and Gothenburg. They also have charters to Turkey, Gran Canaria, Rhodos. They had 350000 passengers 2008. This is BEFORE the upgrade to an eventual WOG!! Without that Sweden has excellent railway.

And WHY couldn't Sweden do that?? Only icehockey would be more emotionally than the other European cities... Technially?? What do you think Sweden is?? A poor country??

Where have I ever said Sweden is a poor country???? Where have I ever said Sweden CAN'T put up a good bid? Again stupid b*tch putting words in my mouth.

Sweden can put up whatever grade level bid they want, just as long as they are better than the rest of Europe. And we all know from Tulsa/Nature how sexy and public fervor-filled other Euro cities can be :D

Now I hope Munich/France/Sweden will bid for 2022 so we can sit back and watch Nature/Tulsa/Pillan gnaw each others heads off LOL

But it isn't only Åre. Östersund is with them.

Yes I am only against ARE alone I have said nothing about Östersund.

They should bid for 2022 and 2026 and probably will have a chance in 2030 when you are in your sixties :lol: .

so...

2020 Europe

2022 Europe

2024 Africa

2026 USA

2028 Tokyo

2030 Europe.

Looks a Anncey. Whats the proposed Olympic Stadium?

It will be in Östersund. Remember Åre is only co host to Östersund. Again you are forget Östersund.

And as Sir Rols pointed out, waid for the eventual bid to get the answer.

Where shall Reno has their Olympic stadium? Where shall Switzerland has their Olympic stadium??

You ask dumb questions that you could ask the other eventual bids. Germany also need to change their bid since they lost. I doubt they can bid with the same bid either.

Not having seen Östersund's proposals for the 1994 and 1998 Winter Olympics, I'd propose having the Olympic Stadium held at Jämtkraft Arena.

Having been built recently in 2007, with a 5,000 capacity on 2 stands (the goal ends are open), one could propose expansion to at least 20,000 (there is room for it) and the addition of temporary stands at the goal ends adding say a 10,000-15,000 capacity.

GS_20070831_D70_0084.jpg-for-web-normal.jpg

3089.jpg

The area is also relatively underdeveloped and could serve several sports venues for Ice events, alongside the existing ice arena(s) in the city.

Östersund would therefore host Ice events and Cross-country Skiing/Biathlon, whilst Åre hosts Snow events and the Ski Jump and Sliding Track.

Edited by Lord David

It will be in Östersund. Remember Åre is only co host to Östersund. Again you are forget Östersund.

Where shall Reno has their Olympic stadium? Where shall Switzerland has their Olympic stadium??

You ask dumb questions that you could ask the other eventual bids. Germany also need to change their bid since they lost. I doubt they can bid with the same bid either.

How is that a dumb question? You are simply acting like a whinny little bitch. I was asking, because I was interested and though some of the people would know from the previous bids. Switzerland doesn't have a bid yet so we don't know which city/stadium will host the OC. For Germany why would they change the OC stadium?

Reno will more than likely use Mackay Stadium (expanded to 50,000) on the campus of the University of Nevada for its Olympic Stadium. I was out in Reno a couple of years ago to watch a Texas Tech vs. Nevada football game. Nice place for a game. Reno will need to construct a downtown arena for some of the ice events. I cannot find the link but I read an article that stated renovating the Lawlor Events Center is not feasible for any of the ice events. The Reno Events Center probably gets used for the curling events. With the Sacramento Kings now looking like they may stick around, I'd say the probability for a new downtown arena to replace the aging ARCO Arena is more likely.

Reno will more than likely use Mackay Stadium (expanded to 50,000) on the campus of the University of Nevada for its Olympic Stadium. I was out in Reno a couple of years ago to watch a Texas Tech vs. Nevada football game. Nice place for a game. Reno will need to construct a downtown arena for some of the ice events. I cannot find the link but I read an article that stated renovating the Lawlor Events Center is not feasible for any of the ice events. The Reno Events Center probably gets used for the curling events. With the Sacramento Kings now looking like they may stick around, I'd say the probability for a new downtown arena to replace the aging ARCO Arena is more likely.

It should be fine for one of the hockey venues or the figure/short track venue

I've looked at that Mackay Stadium (and I know I am putting on my Jim6666 helmet here), but while the seating capacity (even expanded will be ideal), its infield is too large for Ceremonies. The nice thing about Rice-Eccles in Salt Lake was that the Don Mischer team found it to be "very intimate" (i.e., in Ceremonies terms, the infield is not so large and distant that you have to fill it with more performers so it doesn't look empty); and indeed they produced great Ceremonies.

I've looked at Mackay long and hard -- and I guess the solution is to put the athlete seating (for 3,700 maybe around 3 sides of the infield, to make the performing area smaller. Too bad for the athletes if they get terrible sightlines for their seating -- after all, they're just getting the show for free. (The Reno Aces baseball field could be a back-up, with maybe some 30,000 additional seating -- but it could be a more intimate and in the round setting rather than the rectangular setting of Mackay.)

Re other ice stadia for Reno proper itself, they are definitely thinking of AT least one temporary arena a la the London basketball stadium (which supposedly will go to Rio 2016; and see if that one will still be viable for 2022). Of course a covered long-track speedskating rink will be constructed as a permanent facility. But two could at least be temporary arenas, and maybe use the Gangneung Ice Hall which will go to another city, as a model.

Also as alluded to, if Sacramento gets a new arena, then there will be two arenas there for hockey. But all will be announced in due time, if indeed the USOC will select Reno.

Sacremento is too far from Reno how about Carson City?

I'm sure they've looked at Carson City; too small.

Sacramento has the infrastructure to support one or 2 venues. It also the better dorms and campus for housing. They project using Sacramento Int'l (at least as of now) as the main airport gateway at least for domestic and maybe some Canadian flights. The 5 is already the major artery connecting the Bay Area, Sacto and Reno. And they know the overseas jumbos will be coming into and leaving from San Francisco, so Sacramento makes MORE sense (than smaller Carson City.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

How is that a dumb question? You are simply acting like a whinny little bitch. I was asking, because I was interested and though some of the people would know from the previous bids. Switzerland doesn't have a bid yet so we don't know which city/stadium will host the OC. For Germany why would they change the OC stadium?

And this is my point about Sweden. Why ask this question if you can't answer it for the other countries? See you have a answer on that.

About Germany, their bid failed. They probably need to change a little bit in the bid. Or do you mean they can win with a bid IOC already sad no to?

And this is my point about Sweden. Why ask this question if you can't answer it for the other countries? See you have a answer on that.

About Germany, their bid failed. They probably need to change a little bit in the bid. Or do you mean they can win with a bid IOC already sad no to?

Why would they change the Olympic Stadium? its only for ceremonies purposes? Thats what we are taking about. Secondly, we know what the Swedish bid will likely be, but Switzerland there are five options so really we don't know which site will be picked and eventually the stadium.

Seriously you need to grow up and act at least half your age. :blink:

• Like 1

I'm sure they've looked at Carson City; too small.

Sacramento has the infrastructure to support one or 2 venues. It also the better dorms and campus for housing. They project using Sacramento Int'l (at least as of now) as the main airport gateway at least for domestic and maybe some Canadian flights. The 5 is already the major artery connecting the Bay Area, Sacto and Reno. And they know the overseas jumbos will be coming into and leaving from San Francisco, so Sacramento makes MORE sense (than smaller Carson City.)

Why not base a bid in Sacremento then? I am thinking Denver is the favourite for the American bid, as it has good infrastructure, two arenas and a stadium that would host the largest winter Olympics OC.