Winter 2022

Salzburg won't bid. It's simple because they know that Munich is bidding for 2022 and they would be tough competition. The core problem is the sliding venue which would naturally be Munich's de facto since it actually resides in German territory.

Salzburg would have a tough time trying to sell a new sliding venue to the IOC, or at least a temporary one. A bid which includes Konigsee would be utterly silly even though it's going to either Munich or Salzburg since it's a 1 host city sort of deal.

What would also be silly is the promotion from either side of each other's airport proximity and the likes of that.

Munich bidding in 2022 ? That seems logical, but just imagine something !

Thomas Bach has been elected in July 2013 IOC president.... one month later the German NOC is supposed to send its letter of intention to bid for the 2022 WOG and 2 years later in 2015 the election would take place !

Would the IOC members be ready to support a German bid just after already support a German candidate for the IOC presidency.... Personally, I'm not sure of that...

Munich bidding in 2022 ? That seems logical, but just imagine something !

Thomas Bach has been elected in July 2013 IOC president.... one month later the German NOC is supposed to send its letter of intention to bid for the 2022 WOG and 2 years later in 2015 the election would take place !

Would the IOC members be ready to support a German bid just after already support a German candidate for the IOC presidency.... Personally, I'm not sure of that...

I really don't see Bach as a problem for Munich. If anything he's an asset.

Considering Germany's sporting strength and economic power, they are dramatically under represented as Olympic host. Munich 2022 is the odd-on favorite in my book.

Salzburg won't bid. It's simple because they know that Munich is bidding for 2022 and they would be tough competition. The core problem is the sliding venue which would naturally be Munich's de facto since it actually resides in German territory.

Salzburg would have a tough time trying to sell a new sliding venue to the IOC, or at least a temporary one. A bid which includes Konigsee would be utterly silly even though it's going to either Munich or Salzburg since it's a 1 host city sort of deal.

What would also be silly is the promotion from either side of each other's airport proximity and the likes of that.

I'd like to see Munich, Salzburg and 4 other Euro countries bid for 2022. That would really be nice and exciting. So, all the losers voting for a non-Euro city in the hope for their chance in 2026!! Come on Annency, Salzburg, Sarajevo, Sofia and Are-Ostersund! We need ya!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Like I said, wouldn't a Salzburg bid conflict with Munich? Even though only one of those cities will end up using Konigsee if they win? Not to mention, is it possible that the two conflicted bids would just rule each other out and give the games to some other city?

That being said, it would be funny to see the bid presentations.

Munich: ...And Sliding events will be held in Konigsee.

followed by...

Salzburg: ...And Sliding events will be held in Konigsee, should WE get the rights to host the Olympics.

Edited by Lord David

Barcelona can bid, but won't win. It would be trying to sell another Sochi, as in the coastal city of Barcelona would be seen as the whole "warm city" hosting the games, whilst the mountains are where the coldness is. I think it's too soon for another kind of those games.

So I guess since "you're" saying that Sochi is in Asia, then that means that Asia is hosting the next 2 Winter Olympics. <_<

If you ask a geographer, he will tell you so. ;)

Ad Salzburg: I can tell you, Salzburg won't bid for the next 50 years. There a still investigations against Leo Wallner (former boss of the Austrian Olympic comitee), Heinz Jungwirth (former secretery general of the Austrian olympic comitee) and Fedor Radmann (head of the bid and at least the guy who brought the FIFA world cup to Germany together with Beckenbauer) because they had probably enriched themselves and "spent" a lot of money in the campaign and noone knows where the money has gone...

That is why I think Austria won't bid for the next wogs.

So basically what you're saying is that the Salzburg bids for 2010 and 2014 used less than the money which was supposedly produced for those bids? For example, they if they had 20 million and only used half of it? Is that what you mean?

So basically what you're saying is that the Salzburg bids for 2010 and 2014 used less than the money which was supposedly produced for those bids? For example, they if they had 20 million and only used half of it? Is that what you mean?

Well, they needed much more money than originally thought. But now there is the suspicion that people like Wallner, Jungwirth, Radmann etc. took some of the money of the 2014 bid (as far as I know, there are no suspicion about the 2010 bid) because noone knows where all the money had gone. As a result Wallner and Jungwirth had to retire from the Austrian olympic comitee (but Wallner is still member of the IOC...^^). And there are still investigation against those people.

That was also the main reason why Salzburg didn't bid for 2018.

A few days ago I read an interesting interview with Fedor Radmann (as I already said the head of the Salzburg 2014 bid). There he said that the main goal of the Salzburg campaigns was 2018. 2010 was only a try and 2014 would have been also a big surprise, but in 2018 they wanted to bring the games to Salzburg, he said. But due to the financial scandal Salzburg didn't bid again for 2018 and probably they won't do for the next decades.

There is no way the IOC will award Barcelona on its first shot, considering Spain isn't even a factor at the Winter Olympics.

Well definitely no Barcelona (even with fond memories of 1992, They'd rather see Munich have the honours as first dual hosts) before Jaca.

If you ask a geographer, he will tell you so. ;)

That's not true. You're just generalizing now.

These maps here CLEARLY depict Sochi as being in Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_polar_stereographic_Caucasus_Urals_boundary.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Russia

And you can find many more like them.

I seriously doubt that when the IOC members sat down in 2007 in Guatemala City & were voting on the 2014 Games, that they were voting for Sochi with "Asia" in mind. And then turn around & vote for Asia again for 2018. Asia is not Europe.

There is no way the IOC will award Barcelona on its first shot, considering Spain isn't even a factor at the Winter Olympics.

Why not. Sarajevo got it on it's first try, despite Yugoslavia, at the time, wasn't even a blip on the Winter Sports radar.

Spain not getting a Winter Olympic would be for other factors, but lack of prowess at the Winter Games would not be one of them. And besides, Spain has bid for the Winter Olympics a couple of times already. So a 2022 bid from them wouldn't be their "first shot", anyway.

Sarajevo was a little different. In light of the financial fiasco of Montreal, You had bids from Sarajevo, Sapporo and Gothenburg for the 1984 Olympics. I take it that Sapporo heavily relied on a games on the cheap, since most venues were there. Sarajevo won by a mere 3 votes against Sapporo in the 2nd round, 39 to 36, after trailing in the 1st round 31, 33, 10.

I recall in clips about the Yugoslav Wars of the 1990's, Samaranch himself touting that Sarajevo was actively bidding and hosting major winter sporting events. The whole new frontier approach, as well as some recent event hosting, must have convinced IOC members to go to Sarajevo, not to mention that Sapporo was a recent host in 1972.

I am majoring in Geography, and no question Sochi is in Europe (even though Europe is a sub continent of EurAsia anyways thats a different story). Generally speaking the accepted border between Europe and Asia are the Ural mountains, and Sochi is west of this boundary so it is in Europe.

I don't think it's such an elementary question. According to Wikipedia:

sources using the Caucasus Mountains as the Europe-Asia divide place Sochi in Southwest Asia as it falls on the southern (Asian) side of the Greater Caucasus

The sources cited include the 2011 National Geographic Atlas (p. 59) and the Miriam-Webster Geographical Dictionary.

I don't think it's such an elementary question. According to Wikipedia:

The sources cited include the 2011 National Geographic Atlas (p. 59) and the Miriam-Webster Geographical Dictionary.

Anybody can tweak Wikipedia to their advantage (i.e., Sarah Palin follwoers ;) .) You must've caught it on a bad day. On JEOPARDY!, they did say that the Urals are the spine which separates the European and Asian sides of the great big Russian landmass.

Anybody can tweak Wikipedia to their advantage (i.e., Sarah Palin follwoers ;) .) You must've caught it on a bad day. On JEOPARDY!, they did say that the Urals are the spine which separates the European and Asian sides of the great big Russian landmass.

I pulled the language from Wikipedia but cited the more reputable sources that were footnoted there.

The Urals don't exactly cover the entire line of the "boundary" (if you can even say one really exists) so there are legitimate questions about where one continent ends and the other begins in this area.

:mellow: Sooo...the 2022 OWGs are more likely to be Western Europe v USA then?...A traditional 'non frontier' hosting bid?

Perhaps, provided that the US musters up a logical bid, i.e Denver or Lake Placid (Tri-Lakes) and not RENO! :P.

But then again it could also be a North American bid race if Quebec City puts their hands up and is approved by the COC.

What would Canada stand to gain from a Quebec bid? The country doesn't need another Winter Games right now.

Exactly, even when the head of the IIHF (Rene Fasel) said why would Canada bid and that a third sliding track is too much for Canada.

If Denver was bidding would there be some sort of resentment because they withdrew in 1976?

I have to go ahead and say Munich is a strong favourite if they bid again, however lets say the USA bids they risk the very possible situation of vote splitting between them and the Switzerland bid.