Winter 2022

The timing (time zones) shouldn't be too much of an issue. Events for say alpine skiing could be held in the morning to suit European time zones or what not. The time zone issue will be reflective of that similar to Sydney 2000, they will find a solution.

The seasons is of course the real problem, but since no one from the Southern Hemisphere has yet attempted a proper bid for the Winter Olympics, then we will never know what true effect the difference in season would have. I'm sure the IOC can make an exception at least once. I expect a Southern Hemisphere games to happen eventually.

Santiago, Chile would pose a better bid for a Winter Olympics with regards to the time zone issue as it would very much suit US time zones. A bid from there will be akin to Vancouver or Munich's proposal for example.

I really did want someone to pose that question in the press conference after PyeongChang's win, but alas, no one didn't.

It's not just about incompatible time zones. The reason it's NOT going to work out is also the TV sponsorship issue. Winter products (cold medicines, etc., etc.) buy the air-time FOR winter sports telecasts. Those tie-in with the program content. So, if the WOGs were telecast in the northern summer time, do you really expect the Tylenols and the Nyquils and scarf and bootmakers to be selling their wares in July? What would you have? The charcoal and BBQ makers. Without those sponsors, there will be NO Olympics of any kind whatsoever. So a WOG in July or August has as much of a chance happening as the World Cup being moved to January or February. The sports calendars are pretty much set already the way they are.

Exactly. I do wonder if the WOG could ever be held in, say, the Northern Hemisphere spring or fall, at a location in the Southern Hemisphere that gets snow early or still has it late. This obviously rules out, say, the Snowy Mountains of Australia, but maybe NZ or Argentina / Chile (the latter would probably be best as it's a safer bet as far as time zones go to try something so experimental).

I agree with Baron on this one. The financial impact of weirdly timed WOGs would be big. Plus, there's no way the IF's can structure their schedules to build up to Winter Games in July or August.

The comparison to Sydney isn't really fair either. You can host all the summer events in the spring without any trouble. Winter events need snow and need to be held in the height of winter.

I agree with Baron on this one. The financial impact of weirdly timed WOGs would be big. Plus, there's no way the IF's can structure their schedules to build up to Winter Games in July or August.

Thank you. The IFs, the athletes' training skeds are all primed for the northern seasons.

Plus, it's a matter of numbers: how many ACTIVE So. hemipshere winter countries are there really? What? 6 or 7 representing a population of perhaps 150 million, if that? Whereas, you have at least 60-65 FULLY active countries in the northern hemisphere with a, conservatively set population of perhaps 2.3 billion? So, it's six sugar cubes to a sack of rice.

If it were reversed, and say the greater winter population (I mean, the penguins in the Antartic??) were in the southern half and the calendar was controlled by only a small dozen northern countries, then definitely, an axial shift is in order -- but the situation is not. So...

What about the effect on continental rotation of the SOG and WOG? If the southern hemisphere can never have a WOG, is there a chance the IOC might compensate with more SOGs in Australia, NZ, South America, or southern Africa?

Minor point- I'm sure there are some high peaks in NZ and the Andes that receive snow in the spring and fall, which could help make scheduling potentially work. Imagine a WOG in October that gets people in the northern hemisphere excited about winter and buying all kinds of snow gear before the first flake falls...wouldn't the sponsors buy into that?

Doing a little research, one ski field Spencer's Creek in New South Wales, Aus has an average ski depth of 100cm in mid-October. That's probably the earliest it could be held in the eyes of the N. Hemisphere, if thoughts here are correct. (The peak condition is late August/Early September).

However, records also indicate that the snow is unreliable in this region.

What about the effect on continental rotation of the SOG and WOG? If the southern hemisphere can never have a WOG, is there a chance the IOC might compensate with more SOGs in Australia, NZ, South America, or southern Africa?

Simple answer to that is No. Why would they. The IOC doesn't "have to" rotate the Games. They just choose to do so, when they can & when they feel like it.

And besides, there aren't many capable countries in the Southern Hemisphere to begin with that can host the Summer Olympics Games. So the IOC isn't going to give those few same places more Summer Games simply because they can't host Winter Games. Doesn't work that way.

Doing a little research, one ski field Spencer's Creek in New South Wales, Aus has an average ski depth of 100cm in mid-October. That's probably the earliest it could be held in the eyes of the N. Hemisphere, if thoughts here are correct. (The peak condition is late August/Early September).

However, records also indicate that the snow is unreliable in this region.

Propose an 800 meter drop ski slope somewhere near Canberra then come back to us. Better yet, start building right away!

NZ is more likely to host when you compare Australia and NZ, they do have a mountain with 800 meter drop in Wanaka with Treble Cone at 838 meters. The only thing would be to simply have a Queenstown bid with the region only and not being anchored with a major city which is too far away.

Just have most indoor arenas proposed slightly lower than baseline capacities and temporary. Perhaps make the indoor Speed Skating oval, Curling and perhaps Ice Hockey arena II permanent (and perhaps downsized), while Ice Hockey I and the Figure Skating/Short Track venues are temporary.

The Ski jumps, Biathlon/Cross Country Skiing course and sliding centre will be permanent, as will of course any development of existing ski slopes.

Aside from venues, transport will be Queenstown's major issue. They have an international airport that if upgraded, could suffice. An upgrade to roads and perhaps some sort of rail link to the major city centres would be necessary.

Edited by Lord David

Mate, the old southern hemisphere WOGs has to be one of the most regularly discused isues on GBids over the years. Even those who've been some of the biggest protagonists and proponents for it over the years - myself, Stevie, Kratk etc - have come to the conclusion that it's just so bloody unlikely as to be near impossible. In the end, it all comes down to the winter sporting calendar, and how mid-year just don't cut it for the various comps and training periods for any winter sport.

I think the best, indeed only, chance would be for NZ, Chile or Argentina to try for a Youth WOGs. THEN maybe the IOC and the wintersports world at large might start to take the notion of a southern WOGs seriously.

Edited by Sir Rols

You implying NZer's lack the ability to use a computer, own a computer, don't have computer/internet technology period, or lack the ability to steal a computer?

(wait scrap that last one ;)) :P

Not at all. Would I dare rib our kiwi cousins? Who'd sell me drugs then?

(And before you get steamed up Alex, it's all just a joke, eh bro. Kia Ora cobber!)

Edited by Sir Rols

:D Loved the build up to that jabb! :D

:mellow: Any hoo, yeah a southern OWGs. With Christchurch a total write off for the next 30-50 years, what minimal chance the Southern Hemiphere have in hosting this now prestigous event are now gone... :unsure: That is of course, if a youth OWGs is never considered? NZ and Australia could easily host those?

I hope for a Åre/Östersund bid!! It's time for Sweden to give a bid again!! :)

I'm very sad for Sweden, this country could be a great host to WoG, and Sweden has lost every time, I think before go to Korea some country like Sweden should host WoG...

But I think Sweden with Osterdun will have the same problem than Annecy...

For 2022 I'm quite sure that Europe will make it. It's the very fist time that there are 3 consecutive winter games not held in Europe with Vancouver in NA and Sochi and PC in Asia (sure Sochi is part of Russia but nevertheless it is located on the Asian continent). And I just can't believe that the IOC can ignore the core market for 4 times. And there have never been 4 consecutive winter olympics not held in the Alps.

And since Ibk 1976 we had the winter games:

4x NA

2x far East

2x Western Alps

1x Scandinavia

1x Balkan

1x Caucasus

0x Central and Eastern Alps

I just can't imagine that the 2022 games are not hosted by city in the Alps, because that region is still the core market of winter sports, most regular competitons (world cups, word championships...) are taking place there...

So, I would predict for the up-coming olympics:

2022: Alps

2026: Scandinavia/NA

2030: NA/Scandinavia

That would mean that we have 7 possible countries for 2022:

Liechtenstein: too little - no chance

Slovenia: probably too little too

Italy: Torino 2006 were the last alps olympics and they are going for summer games with Rome

France: I think they want Paris to get the summer games again

Switzerland: will bid, I am curious which city will bid (Berne, Geneve, Davos...)

Austria: Salzburg would have had better chances than Munich in the 2018 race since they have already bidded for 2010 and 2014. But due to the financial scandal around Salzburg 2014 and due to the youth olympics in Ibk next year, I think Austria won't bid.

Germany: I am sure Munich will bid again and probably they will get it. Munich would be the logical host city, 50 years after the summer games 1972 (the last olympics in Germany, one of the biggest and most influental countries!). So, probably see you in Munich 2022! ;)

• Like 1

Germany: I am sure Munich will bid again and probably they will get it. Munich would be the logical host city, 50 years after the summer games 1972 (the last olympics in Germany, one of the biggest and most influental countries!). So, probably see you in Munich 2022! ;)

Good. I hope Munich is the EARLY, EARLY front-runner!! ;)

Salzburg won't bid. It's simple because they know that Munich is bidding for 2022 and they would be tough competition. The core problem is the sliding venue which would naturally be Munich's de facto since it actually resides in German territory.

Salzburg would have a tough time trying to sell a new sliding venue to the IOC, or at least a temporary one. A bid which includes Konigsee would be utterly silly even though it's going to either Munich or Salzburg since it's a 1 host city sort of deal.

What would also be silly is the promotion from either side of each other's airport proximity and the likes of that.