Winter 2022

Pure Facts point is fair. Sao Paulo is in attendance at the same conference. I can't imagine they have any serious Olympic ambitions for the near future. Tulsa sticks out like such a sore thumb.... ugh. Reno's not far behind.

Personally, I'm just glad to see a strong American presence. It's a reminder to the IOC that the U.S. is serious about it's desire to host.

There's sure some interesting names in there. San Francisco and Dallas, eh? Yeah, good to see the US is still interested in the SOGs as well as winter games.

And, yeah, Tulsa really sticks out ... but where's the mighty Hobart??

And Gothenburg, eh? Not exactly who I'd finger as Sweden's best chance for either a winter or summer games.

Edited by Sir Rols

There's sure some interesting names in there. San Francisco and Dallas, eh? Yeah, good to see the US is still interested in the SOGs as well as winter games.

And, yeah, Tulsa really sticks out ... but where's the mighty Hobart??

And Gothenburg, eh? Not exactly who I'd finger as Sweden's best chance for either a winter or summer games.

It suggests to me that we shouldn't attach too much significance to the list of attendees....

No Madrid, no Paris, no Tokyo, no Doha, no Dubai, no Toronto, no Chicago, no New York -- lots of potential applicant cities absent.

I think Tulsa must've been really serious...and so the USOC said: Alright, go ahead...attend so you can see the reality of things!!

I'm just really curious who San Francisco sent? But it's kinda stupid because if Reno gets 2022, that pretty much stuffs San Francisco until at least until 2032...and at which time I wouldn't really care anymore.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I think Tulsa is still gonna be a nuisance to the USOC. Even with attending this seminar & seeing how things really work, they'll still be as stubborn as a mule that they wanna bid. Kinda like our Tulsa little boy here even when reality is smacking them right in the face. :lol:

And perhaps the big names being abscent has something to with Japan is more than likely busy still trying to recover from the earthquake & Tsunami. And Paris wasn't there probably because of Annecy. How would that've looked. Certainly would've pissed the Annecy 2018 team off. Doha is more than likely still to giddy over their 2022 WC win to seriously concentrate on anything else for the time being. And as far as Chicago & New York; the USOC has already said a "no go" for 2020. So they probably thought to themselves, then Y the fu@k bother if, if it was even on their radar screen to begin with. It's not like this is going to be the last of such seminars anyway.

Well, equally stubborn is Denver...even with the Kiss of Death on their forehead. I am surprised they are there. So, I guess the USOC would at least like to see some sort of 'competition' for the 2022 seat. Good luck, Denver.

(About Annency and PC...they are just there to schmooze. It's a little late on their timetable to be 'learning how to organize an OGs,' doncha think so??)

(About Annency and PC...they are just there to schmooze. It's a little late on their timetable to be 'learning how to organize an OGs,' doncha think so??)

Yeah, you're right about that. Cuz where's Munich. And Annecy would have a lot of schmoozing to do, though. :lol:

I wouldn't necessarily assume that the USOC is planning on bidding for 2022. They haven't ruled it out as a possibility and there are a couple of interested cities. That's all we know.

As for Dallas and SF, even if the US bids for 2022, there's no guarantee they'll win.

It seems to me that this conference is purely exploratory and doesn't entail any kind of actual commitment or declaration. So why not send a few interested parties without worrying about exactly how the future will play out? Different cities can be present with different levels of curiosity and ambition. I'm not clear on whether or not the NOC's are even particularly involved with which cities do and don't attend.

Regarding Tulsa, they can pester the USOC all they want, but the USOC is in the driver's seat -- they have all the power.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that the USOC is planning on bidding for 2022.

U're hoping against hope, rn't u? :lol:

Exploratory? Why the hell would cities spend precious taxpayers' money (not unless it's outta their own pockets) to send reps to this if the cities and/or the USOC weren't dead serious? This isn't playtime, Athens. This is serious business on the IOC's part. They can't be sending "tentative, look-and-see" parties there. The space could be taken up by other parties MORE interested than namby-pamby reps.

All the signs are there. The WOGs roll around to the US every 20 years. If a SOG is outta reach, then at least a WOG is more of a sure thing. U're just about as obstinately blind to it as that other Tulsa and neige.

. I'm not clear on whether or not the NOC's are even particularly involved with which cities do and don't attend.

Unless that snake "Impure Facts" rears its ugly head again, I would think the NOCs ARE involved here. It is thru them that the IOC gets the word out, and the various reps are there UNDER the auspices of the involved NOC.

Why do you think the likes of Tulsa, Birmingham and Dallas have suddenly shut up? Because the USOC has told them...this is the way to go. We'll send you 'under our umbrella,' so you can learn about the whole ball of wax...but u pay your own way. And when things get to the bid-choosing stage, the cities will LEARN to work with the USOC and know what the international stakes are as well...WITHOUT having to have the USOC teach them all over again.

The NOC is answerable to its mother entity, the IOC. And the people who attend, are, in a way, 'representing the USOC in various 'loose' ways.

Those are among the various objectives of a seminar such as this; and cities such as Tulsa can be deadly honest to themselves of their real chances.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

ARRRGH! Baron, the U.S. may well bid for 2022, but they haven't said so yet. I just have a preference for SOG over WOG. Good grief!

Also, I said there were probably varying levels of interest present. Maybe some cities are dead serious, but that doesn't say anything about what their NOC's think or whether they'll get out of the starting gate.

You're saying this is "serious business." How can you look at Tulsa and say that with a straight face? Not to mention Sao Paulo, Kazan, Gothenburg....

If anybody's being obstinate here, it's you championing Reno 2022 and lambasting anybody who doesn't think it's a great idea.

ARRRGH! Baron, the U.S. may well bid for 2022, but they haven't said so yet. I just have a preference for SOG over WOG. Good grief!

Also, I said there were probably varying levels of interest present. Maybe some cities are dead serious, but that doesn't say anything about what their NOC's think or whether they'll get out of the starting gate.

You're saying this is "serious business." How can you look at Tulsa and say that with a straight face? Not to mention Sao Paulo, Kazan, Gothenburg....

If anybody's being obstinate here, it's you championing Reno 2022 and lambasting anybody who doesn't think it's a great idea.

Have you ever attended a USOC function? Seminar? One of their 'summer academies? I have, and even that was in the early 90's.

Well, I know Reno is serious. It's NOT something I'm making up. I am excited about their bid because of my proximity and it is something that could be happening in the next few years for me -- NOT something 2 decades away (the whole bidding process) when the next US summer bid might evolve. And if it weren't happening, I wouldn't be the lesser for it. I've had enough of my own experiences working/interfacing with an actual Olympic Games, the pre-bid, bid stages, etc., to last me a lifetime. There's nothing I have to prove to anyone else.

Anyway, believe what you want. I'm just sharing what I know from reading the tea leaves in this business, and letting others know how to read the clues...which is a lot of what this sphere is about anyway. Ignore them if you don't think they're valid for you.

Unless that snake "Impure Facts" rears its ugly head again, I would think the NOCs ARE involved here.

Keep insulting me: every one who has been here for more than 2 days knows that insult is your only reply when you have been proven incorrect.

I actually wouldn't mind it if you could accept criticism from time to time but you can't;

I truly pity you: I'll be happy to tip in when you finally decide to get mental therapy because I think deep down you are not a bad person just a very confused one (and don't bother trashing my mail box with your "f*ck u" *20 messages, I have blocked you).

PF, I don't need YOUR condescension.

I have accepted corrections from others when it has happened w/o a fuss. It's the WAY you correct me PLUS HOW DARE YOU bring up my illness (not the imaginary one you conjure up; but that which has gone into remission) in a trivial way!! That's what makes you lower than a bottom-feeder in my eyes.

Yeah, maybe I'm a little over-bearing sometimes but then considering there are quite a few dolts here and YOUR SNIDE retorts, is it any WONDER that I respond to you the way I do? You, who hides under a rock, like a true creepy-crawler. At least my real identity is out there... SO DON'T YOU DARE LECTURE ME ON HOW TO INTERACT with others here!!

U're such a douche-bag...a leaking one at that.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I don't doubt that Reno is serious about the Olympics. I'm not yet sure that the USOC is serious about Reno. I don't think Reno's presence at this conference indicates anything about whether or not the USOC will submit them as an applicant city for 2022. To me it's just not a a major indicator.

Based on the website of the Union of Olympic Cities it sounds as though all communication is directed to the cities and the NOC's are not involved in any readily apparent way. See the website here: http://www.olympiccities.org.

As near as I can tell 2011 will mark the fourth time this summit has taken place. Thought it might be interesting to compare this year's list with past attendees. There are a lot of familiar faces, but some new ones as well.

Here are the aspiring attendees from 2008:

Annecy, France

Busan, Republic of Korea

Chicago, USA

Copenhagen, Denmark

Denver, USA

Geneva, Switzerland

Madrid, Spain

Poznań, Poland

PyeongChang, Republic of Korea

Quebec City, Canada

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Here are the aspiring attendees from 2009:

Annecy, France

Busan, Republic of Korea

Chicago, USA

Copenhagen, Denmark

Denver, USA

Geneva, Switzerland

Madrid, Spain

Poznań, Poland

Quebec City, Canada

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Here are the aspiring attendees from 2010:

Abuja, Nigeria

Annecy, France

Durban, South Africa

Gothenburg, Sweden

Kazan, Russia

Qinhuangdao, China

Quebec, Canada

Rotterdam, Netherlands

San Francisco, U.S.A.

Zakopane, Poland

Just to review, here are the aspiring attendees for 2011:

Annecy, France

Dallas, U.S.A.

Denver, U.S.A.

Gothenburg, Sweden

Istanbul, Turkey

Kazan, Russia

Poznan, Poland

PyeongChang, Korea

Québec City, Canada

Reno, U.S.A.

Rotterdam, Netherlands

Saint Petersburg, Russia

San Francisco, U.S.A.

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Tulsa, U.S.A.

This does not seem to be anything the IOC has a direct hand in, and it's certainly not a precondition stage for any city thinking of bidding. Nothing official about it. But nevertheless, if nothing else, I do think it's a great indication of which places may be thinking about their options for the next decade or so. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a few of those attendees become contenders in the next few bidding rounds - and of course some won't. To me it's just one of those sources to read the tea leaves and get some tantalising glimpses of possibilities - with probably a bit more weight than many other sources we tend to pounce on.

I don't think there's any doubt that Reno is serious - and if they do decide to press the Go Button, I doubt the USOC would stop them from bidding. Whether they have a chance of winning or not is a whole different matter.

Gothenburg? Well, on one level, I'm heartened to see Sweden must be considering their chances. I don't think Gothenburg would be too bizarre as a contender for either a summer or winter games. But I also don't see it as Sweden's strongest option for either.

I think that even places that "we" here don't take seriously (Tulsa, Gothenburg, Sao Paulo, etc.) have been sent there by their NOC (or on their own expense) because they may either want to host an IOC Session (like Durban is doing this year, I don't know where next; BA in 2013) or just to wake up the unrealistic ones to what it takes to pursue that dream.