Icons of England

MIKYSALT

Every one talks about what are London icons.I thing it might

be us full to make a list of things that are not London icons.

number one would be Cannery wharf

I know the Olympic bid is based there but thats just for

convenience.wisely they didn't use it as a selling point for

London's bid and it didn't feature in any of the posters.

manly because it looks like it could be anywhere in the world.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then the Closing Ceremony could have The Rolling Stones (if they're still with us), Elton John (obviously - he's always involved in these things), Robbie Williams and other British performers like Kylie and Madonna.  I think that the final song of the ceremony should be Paul McCartney singing "Hey Jude" - nothing seems to stir an audience as much in this country.

Madonna and Kylie aren't british so i can't see them performing at a british olympics, also Kylie performed at Sydney, so it may be seen that London is just copying Sydney!

Other than that i agree with you, it will be hard for LOCOG to choose who performs at the ceremonies, my money says you will defo have elton playing and probably someone contemporary to the time the games are on!

Firstly you mean Canary Wharf!

Secondly thats a landmark of London, not the UK, so you start your list by listing a London Landmark! bit of a contradiction isn't it!

a better example would be something like the Angel of The North, Gateshead, or Windsor Castle or something similar!

???

The only problem with that is Robbie Williams sucks.

2012 is ages away, so it could be anyone. I'm sure that a band from now that's big across the world then will play. Coldplay, Radiohead who don't look like they'll split up any time soon would be good options. The others will probably be whoever survives from the emerging groups (Keane, Magic Numbers ect.) at the moment. And bands that are popular at the time, but won't live long in the memory four years later. (Along the lines of Girls Allowed and Franz Ferdinand.)

Individual performers are mere parts of an Opening Ceremony which feature more spectacle and protocol.  I think a jousting tournament would be veddy, veddy English.

Now that would  be a very, very good idea!

Individual performers are mere parts of an Opening Ceremony which feature more spectacle and protocol.  I think a jousting tournament would be veddy, veddy English.

Now that would  be a very, very good idea!

Jousting is a good idea - we could bring back other long dead traditions too - what about throwing old ladies into the Thames to see if they float and therefore are witches.  Another could be to burn at the stake as in the 1500's - the first week would be Catholics and the second week would be Protestants - it could also serve as the Olympic flame!

( :D joke).

Ideas of England?

* Terrible breakfast

Nothing wrong with a full English breakfast. It keeps you going all day.

Actually, cuisine-wise, breakfast is one thing that I reckon the Anglo-Saxons _ and that includes the US, Canadians and Aussies as well as the Poms _ excell in over all other nationalities. You wouldn't want to do it every day, but a good slap up breakfast with the works on the weekend is about the food highlight of my week.

Because it's her Diamond Jubilee HM the Queen has requested not to be overshadowed by any other more colourful and possibly more glamorous queens - with the exception of Elton 'cause he's virtually family!

:)

Secondly thats a landmark of London, not the UK, so you start your list by listing a London Landmark! bit of a contradiction isn't it!

a better example would be something like the Angel of The North, Gateshead, or Windsor Castle or something similar!

???

The point I was making about canary wharf (not being a

London Icon)was completely

separate to my other comment.

and I would put the Angel of the north and Windsor castle on

icons of the uk

Erm...... Bacon, sausage, fried egg, fried tomato, fried mushrooms, fried bread, baked beans and black pudding (a traditional English sausage made from fat and blood!).

I can't stand Full English Breakfasts. I don't eat pork, so that's bacon, black pudding and sausage out. Eggs and Tomatos don't taste nice, so they've gone too. Fried bread is just plain wrong, and to top it all mushrooms are the most discusting things ever. The smell, taste, colour, shape, and the fact that it only takes a tiny amount of time for them to grow all just make me want to spew.

Discusting.

Baked Beans are nice though.

Pork substitutes...........like turkey ham, tofu bacon etc???

???

Isn't London part of England?

Then the Closing Ceremony could have The Rolling Stones (if they're still with us), Elton John (obviously - he's always involved in these things), Robbie Williams and other British performers like Kylie and Madonna.  I think that the final song of the ceremony should be Paul McCartney singing "Hey Jude" - nothing seems to stir an audience as much in this country.

Madonna and Kylie aren't british so i can't see them performing at a british olympics, also Kylie performed at Sydney, so it may be seen that London is just copying Sydney!

Other than that i agree with you, it will be hard for LOCOG to choose who performs at the ceremonies, my money says you will defo have elton playing and probably someone contemporary to the time the games are on!

Madonna has stayed in the UK long enough to be naturalised.

Ideas of England?

* Terrible breakfast

Nothing wrong with a full English breakfast. It keeps you going all day.

Actually, cuisine-wise, breakfast is one thing that I reckon the Anglo-Saxons _ and that includes the US, Canadians and Aussies as well as the Poms _ excell in over all other nationalities. You wouldn't want to do it every day, but a good slap up breakfast with the works on the weekend is about the food highlight of my week.

Except that the USA thinks bacon means cremating the meat so you can only pick it up by hand and eat it.  No point showing it a fork and a knife...  

It's not just crispy bacon, it's better to say it's so well cooked, it flies out of your mouth when you bite on it!

The US does like big breakfasts though just like us.  They go for waffles, etc as welll...  Yummy!!!

Archived