Icons of England

MIKYSALT

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we just have a long queue outside the stadium we don't need an opening ceremony - people will just assume that they'd missed it when they eventually get in ( and of course being English no one would complain anyway )

:kungfu:

If we just have a long queue outside the stadium we don't need an opening ceremony - people will just assume that they'd missed it when they eventually get in ( and of course being English no one would complain anyway )

That's very true, but what about the world-wide TV audience?  Wouldn't they have something to say about it?  Perhaps we do your suggestion for the English, and for everyody else we give them the fantasy darlek opening ceremony?  What about that?  Bargain!  Would save some money too!

Actually, I'm surprised no-one here has resurrected the old "Dalek" idea that was floating around here as an Opening Ceremony idea last year!

inv5.jpg

Might as well get Tom Baker and company to "materialize" into the Olympic Stadium by that "blue box."

I shop at Marks and Spencer all the time, for food anyway - but then I am originally from Harrogate so maybe that's why!

I do think the queue is a good one, British people always queue (even when there's nobody in front !) - we could use this at the Olympics themselves so that the legitimate queues will not be noticed so much!

M&S food is generally of good quality, especially the creme brulee. But the clothes selection? I hope you don't buy them............

The clothes are of good quality too, but I don't tend to buy them - although many of my socks seem to come from there but they are from dotty old aunts I have that seem to buy me socks every Christmas.  

When I lived in Paris I would go to the Marks and Spencer's on the Rue de Rivoli and buy salt and vinegar maize snacks and Stilton cheese and scones with jam and cream whenever I felt a bit down - comfort food!!  I don't think there are any M&S's left in Paris now there used to be two.  I also spent a lot of time in WHSmiths near the Place de la Concorde reading all the news and gossip in all the papers without buying them - that could be another English icon; the newspaper!

Well, I suppose Sydney did do something similar with its  lighthearted parade of Aussie icons _ giant rubber thongs

GIANT RUBBER THONGS!!   :shocked:

Yeah _ don't you remember, Kylie was dancing on it. I wish I coud find a pic.

Then again, maybe you're thinking underwear! In Oz, what we call thongs I think, at least the yanks, call flip flops _ those slip on rubber sandals.

Ideas of England?

* Terrible breakfast

* Haggis (or is that just Scottish?)

* Everything is different (currency, weights, lengts and driving)

Well, I suppose Sydney did do something similar with its  lighthearted parade of Aussie icons _ giant rubber thongs

GIANT RUBBER THONGS!!   :shocked:

Yeah _ don't you remember, Kylie was dancing on it. I wish I coud find a pic.

Then again, maybe you're thinking underwear! In Oz, what we call thongs I think, at least the yanks, call flip flops _ those slip on rubber sandals.

Ah, flip-flops. I get you now. I was thinking of underwear and was slightly confused.

:blush:  :)

Does anyone really have a full English Breakfast every morning - surely if someone did they'd be obese or at least have a very high cholesterol level.

Very rare that I do have one (usually if I'm staying in a hotel somewhere), but it's wonderful when you do. I believe it's also a good hangover cure.

Speaking of the opening ceremony for London 2012, it will be hard for LOCOG to choose who will do the singing and songs that will come with the Games in general to me. Great Britain has such an array of internationally well-known singers and composers.

Erm...... Bacon, sausage, fried egg, fried tomato, fried mushrooms, fried bread, baked beans and black pudding (a traditional English sausage made from fat and blood!).

I can't stand Full English Breakfasts. I don't eat pork, so that's bacon, black pudding and sausage out. Eggs and Tomatos don't taste nice, so they've gone too. Fried bread is just plain wrong, and to top it all mushrooms are the most discusting things ever. The smell, taste, colour, shape, and the fact that it only takes a tiny amount of time for them to grow all just make me want to spew.

Discusting.

Baked Beans are nice though.

Speaking of the opening ceremony for London 2012, it will be hard for LOCOG to choose who will do the singing and songs that will come with the Games in general to me. Great Britain has such an array of internationally well-known singers and composers.

The Opening Ceremony tends to be of a more "classical" theme than the Closing Ceremony.  So perhaps Elgar and some of Handel's English compositions by the London Philharmonic followed by an Andrew Lloyd-Webber something.

Then the Closing Ceremony could have The Rolling Stones (if they're still with us), Elton John (obviously - he's always involved in these things), Robbie Williams and other British performers like Kylie and Madonna.  I think that the final song of the ceremony should be Paul McCartney singing "Hey Jude" - nothing seems to stir an audience as much in this country.

Archived