2018 Evaluation Commission Visit Report

It will be release at 10:00am Lausanne time on tuesday 10th 2011 !

So in a few couple of minutes ....

Comment here !!!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just "galloping" through the parts of the report to find some hints of evaluations of the different bids - my first impression is that every part sounds very technical, but I think when you read more carefully you will find some hints, where the comission tells: if you want that you should vote for this bid - if you want this you should vote for another bid...

My first impression :

PC : more compact

Munich and Annecy : More Technical

Munich : More accommodation

Annecy : More Environmental

Weakness for the moment :

PC : Natural snow and environment impact

Munich : Nordic venue

Annecy : Media Transport

But the 3 bids are very strong, and each bid could purpose WoG with their plans

It´s all about support. PC is far ahead of the others in this point. Pity, that Tusla, neige and memorbilia always denied the strong opposition to the French bid.

I ask myself, why the Koreans want the Olympics but didnt attend any winter sports competition in their nation with the expection of Figure Skateing and Short Track?

It´s all about support. PC is far ahead of the others in this point. Pity, that Tusla, neige and memorbilia always denied the strong opposition to the French bid.

I ask myself, why the Koreans want the Olympics but didnt attend any winter sports competition in their nation with the expection of Figure Skateing and Short Track?

Well, if it's all about support, then it's over.

Munich's figures are almost as bad as Annecy (greater support in Munich than in Annecy but it's the opposite in the region and country)...

Indeed, I think it is over.

I simply dont understand why the French members here on the board have always played down the opposition. CAF, Olympian2004 and me have always pointed out, that there are problems in GAP.

why the Koreans want the Olympics

There is nothing special at all.

Whatever the desire for victory.

You can see Korean's soccer cheer.

A strong in collective action.

Environment? No interest.

Taxes? No Interest

This Korean's custom.

The 51% for Annecy is known for a long time. Annecy 2018 defense is that the pole was just after the former chairman (Grospiron) resignation in december 2010.

I'm pretty sure Annecy will provide a recent private pole (if they have a better result!)

In Korea, when they are poled, people understand the question as "Do you agree with a big event that will boost the country economy?"

In Germany and France, people understand the question as "Do you agree with a big event that may degrade the environment?"

I'm surprise about public support, Annecy is 72% The CIO sondage is strange, very far from the Frecnh sondage... And when i ask around me everybody is for Annecy... Tne Public support is very strong in Annecy, and the oponent are very few (Only 50 people to manifest...)

It's why I think it's very strange... or maybe December 2010 wasn't favorable to Annecy bid in population...

But Annecy is

The best respectfull environment bid, the best snow condition (100% natural) and each venues have been made with sportsman. Technicaly Annecy is very strong.

Sorry I would like mean Pole and not Sondage

I would like mean :

December 2010 wasn't favorable to Annecy, because Edgar Grospiron resign and newspapers critism Annecy bid, but since January lot of things have changed.

The first Pole in December 2009 was very favorable with 72 % in favor to Annecy.

French people change quickly about their opinion :lol: Everybody want to be with the winner.

But I think now lot of people are in Favor to Annecy like in 2009 B)

In Korea, when they are poled, people understand the question as "Do you agree with a big event that will boost the country economy?"

In Germany and France, people understand the question as "Do you agree with a big event that may degrade the environment?"

The important thing, In a democracy, supports more than 50% of the residents.

I remember Ice Hockey World Championships in 2010 Germany,

and Alpine Ski World Championships in France and Garmisch.

Write a new history. Too many people enjoyed.

Because the two are not mutually exclusive. You can still want the Olympics without attending a world championship of a particular sport. A sport like biathlon is only popular in one region of the world: Europe. Most North Americans don't even know what biathlon is. But they would still attend and support the Olympics.

Weakness for the moment :

PC : Natural snow and environment impact

Munich : Nordic venue

Annecy : Media Transport

But the 3 bids are very strong, and each bid could purpose WoG with their plans

I don't think any of the weaknesses for the 3 bids are that bad:

Pyeongchang and Munich's nordic venue have both promised 100% snow coverage in case there is snowfall shortage.

Annecy and Munich have already removed parts of their forests to build their already-existing facilities. The only reason Pyeongchang would have to remove more hectares of forest is because they need to build their facilities in the first place. But Pyeongchang will do its best to minimize any effect by planting even more trees than that which would be lost, and has promised to protect forest preservation areas. All three bids seem to be sensitive to environmental needs, and that is all we can ask for.

Annecy's media transport may be spread out, but problems can be minimized by careful planning.

I don't think any of the weaknesses for the 3 bids are that bad:

Pyeongchang and Munich's nordic venue have both promised 100% snow coverage in case there is snowfall shortage.

Annecy and Munich have already removed parts of their forests to build their already-existing facilities. The only reason Pyeongchang would have to remove more hectares of forest is because they need to build their facilities in the first place. But Pyeongchang will do its best to minimize any effect by planting even more trees than that which would be lost, and has promised to protect forest preservation areas. All three bids seem to be sensitive to environmental needs, and that is all we can ask for.

Annecy's media transport may be spread out, but problems can be minimized by careful planning.

You have true...

Which argument is the most important to IOC, technical expertise? Environment? ...?

I ask me what will do the difference in July ? only the lobbying? :mellow:

But Pyeongchang will do its best to minimize any effect by planting even more trees than that which would be lost, and has promised to protect forest preservation areas.

Well, It's a primeval forest.

You know the meaning of the primeval forest ?

Who have never touched the forest.

Unfortunately, there is no replace to Jungbong.

They will changing the law for the PC 2018.

This is not an Olympic legacy.

Well, It's a primeval forest.

You know the meaning of the primeval forest ?

Who have never touched the forest.

Unfortunately, there is no replace to Jungbong.

They will changing the law for the PC 2018.

This is not an Olympic legacy.

Again, environmental impact will be minimized as best as possible through reforestation and by avoiding areas containing protected species.

If you're so worried about nature, you should be more concerned with Sochi. I haven't been following their progress, but their 2014 bid planned for construction within the boundaries of Sochi National Park, impacting 800 hectares of the park (10 times the size of the area Pyeongchang will be affecting). Some of their venues were even to be located inside the Caucasus State Biosphere Reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. And still, the IOC was satisfied with Sochi.

Well, not that I've looked at any of the reports themselves (I rarely do), but lookig at the coverage, it doesn't look like the commission has expressed any particular favour for any of the bids over the others. Indeed, pretty even from what I've read.

Which, I guess, leaves us where we were.

My prediction - PC still ahead based on their smooth campaign and lack of political and administrative distractions. But I do have a feeling, with the GP referendum now behind it, Munich, with Katerina at the helm, is possibly the one who could most easily seize the attention and campaigning and marketing initiative over the final two months. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

IMO, PC is still the favorite. Munich might sneak in and win (a la London), but I'd be surprised. I don't think the IOC is going to willingly provoke that level of despair in the Koreans. The Evaluation Report does not reveal a clear preference (as it did in 2016). All things being equal, PC will win. Very favorable geopolitics. High public support. Third consecutive highly-competitive bid. Plus, PC 2018 keeps Europe firmly in play for 2020. I think it's case-closed. I will say that Annecy has seemed to gain ground. I'd still be very surprised if they won, but they're not quite the last place straggler I expected.

IMO, PC is still the favorite. Munich might sneak in and win (a la London), but I'd be surprised. I don't think the IOC is going to willingly provoke that level of despair in the Koreans. The Evaluation Report does not reveal a clear preference (as it did in 2016). All things being equal, PC will win. Very favorable geopolitics. High public support. Third consecutive highly-competitive bid. Plus, PC 2018 keeps Europe firmly in play for 2020. I think it's case-closed. I will say that Annecy has seemed to gain ground. I'd still be very surprised if they won, but they're not quite the last place straggler I expected.

Annecy can still create a big surprise in July. CIO like surprise. And the favorite doesn't win every time... Wait and See ;)

Archived