2011-12 ISU Figure Skating Season

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are good PLUS home-court advantage. I am sure if 2010 were held in Reno, Meryl & Charlie would've won; and Scott & Tessa take silver.

Tessa and Scott would've won no matter where the 2010 Games were held. No on can take that away from them.

I was rooting for Davis and White, but Virtue and Moir were phenomenal. I think the skating was equally strong, but I did prefer Virtue and Moir's program. There was magic to the Mahler. Phantom seemed a bit trite by comparison. I felt that Virtue and Moir had the golden glow that night, but it was INSANELY close.

Mao Asada just withdrew from the Grand Prix Final to be with her mom who is reportedly to be critically ill.

sad news... :(

International Skating Union President Ottavio Cinquanta said Friday he was deeply saddened by the death of the mother of Japan's two-time world champion Mao Asada, as condolences poured in from the figure skating fraternity.

Asada's mother, Kyoko, lost her battle with liver cirrhosis and passed away aged 48 at a Nagoya hospital in the early hours of Friday morning before Mao could reach her bedside.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/sports/news/20111209p2g00m0sp236000c.html

Davis & White ahead of Tessa & Scott after Short dance.

Meryl Davis/Charlie White (USA) capture Short Dance

Meryl Davis/Charlie White (USA) danced to a strong lead ahead of Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir of Canada and France's Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat.

Davis/White gave a strong performance to Samba, Rhumba and Samba and earned a level four for all elements. The World Champions collected a new seasons best score of 76.17 points. “It was indeed our seasons best. We've been working on our short dance a lot since Skate America and Cup of Russia. I think we're feeling much more solid and confident with the dance and feel like we really get our feet under. So we're really pleased with it”, Davis commented.

Virtue/Moir's characteristic Samba, Rhumba and Samba was highlighted by fast twizzles and a curve lift, but Moir fell on a transition move early into the program. The twizzles, lift and one Rhumba sequence garnered a level four, while the side by side footwork and the first Rhumba sequence were a level three. The Olympic Champions scored 71.01 points. “I caught Tessa’s skate, it happened so quickly that by the time I noticed my back was on the floor. This kind of thing could happen and we are pretty good at recovering from that kind of incident”, Moir explained.

Don't know the survival rates of liver cirrhosis patients, but 48, how young!! Whats'her face, too -- the Canadian gal, didn't she just lose her mother before Vancouver?? Maybe figure-skating is bad for single women. Their mothers die too close to major competitions!!

Joannie Rochette

gpfs_logo_2011.jpg

2011 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final Results

Men

1 Patrick CHAN, Canada

2 Daisuke TAKAHASHI, Japan

3 Javier FERNANDEZ, Spain

Ladies

1 Carolina KOSTNER, Italy

2 Akiko SUZUKI, Japan

3 Alena LEONOVA, Russia

Pairs

1 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY, Germany

2 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV, Russia

3 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV, Russia

Ice Dance

1 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE, USA

2 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR, Canada

3 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT, France

>>> Off to Sheffield for Euros 2012.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the next big event in the international figure skating season is the 2012 European Figure Skating Championships. It will take place in Sheffield, England, UK, from January 23 to January 29.

Link 1: Official Website

Link 2: Participants in the Men's, Ladies, Pairs, and the Ice Dance events.

head7.jpg

cdns-banner-2.gif

2012 Canadian Figure Skating Championships

16-22 January

Moncton Coliseum

Moncton, New Brunswick

Event will determine Canada's team for 2012 Nice Worlds, and 2012 Colorado Springs Four Continents Championships

For Worlds, Canada will send 3 ice dance teams, 2 men and pairs team, 1 lady skate

logo.gif

2012 Prudential United States Figure Skating Championships

22-29 January

HP Pavilion at San Jose

San Jose, California

Event will determine USA's team for 2012 Nice Worlds, and 2012 Colorado Springs Four Continents Championships

• 3 weeks later...

This must be a setback for Savchenko and Szolkowy. They have been withdrawn from competition, due to Savchenko's left thigh injury.

Link: http://www.europeans2012.co.uk/news/64

This is going to affect their chances to medal at the World Championships in Nice.

This must be a setback for Savchenko and Szolkowy. They have been withdrawn from competition, due to Savchenko's left thigh injury.

Link: http://www.europeans2012.co.uk/news/64

This is going to affect their chances to medal at the World Championships in Nice.

I'm sure even Sonja Henie and the most enduring Russian stars had their quota of "injury" moments to fulfill. It's all part of staying on top of a risky and very demanding sport. Besides, if I had to choose, I'd rather get sidetracked this year than in the Olympic year.

Point taken, baron. Anyway, in the pairs event, there was no stopping the Russians from sweeping the podium.

Gold: Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR/Maxim TRANKOV (Russia) (210.45 pts)

Silver: Vera BAZAROVA/Yuri LARIONOV (Russia) (193.79 pts)

Bronze: Ksenia STOLBOVA/Fedor KLIMOV (Russia) (171.81 pts)

1327619293-2012-European-Pairs-Podium.jpg

As for the ice dance competition, France stopped the Russians from sweeping the podium AGAIN.

Gold: Nathalie PECHALAT/Fabian BOURZAT (France) (164.18 pts)

Silver: Ekaterina BOBROVA/Dmitri LOVIEV (Russia) (160.23 pts)

Bronze: Elena ILINYKH/Nikita KATSALAPOV (Russia) (153.12 pts)

1327705426-Nathalie-Pechalat-and-Fabia.jpg

Point taken, baron. Anyway, in the pairs event, there was no stopping the Russians from sweeping the podium.

Gold: Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR/Maxim TRANKOV (Russia) (210.45 pts)

Silver: Vera BAZAROVA/Yuri LARIONOV (Russia) (193.79 pts)

Bronze: Ksenia STOLBOVA/Fedor KLIMOV (Russia) (171.81 pts)

1327619293-2012-European-Pairs-Podium.jpg

And someone here was saying that the Russians were finished...and were going to fall apart at Sochi. :rolleyes:

2012 European Championships Results

logo_european2012.jpg

Men's

1 Evgeni PLUSHENKO, Russia

2 Artur GACHINSKI, Russia

3 Florent AMODIO, France

Ladies

1 Carolina KOSTNER, Italy

2 Kiira KORPI, Finland

3 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI, Georgia

Pairs

1 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV, Russia

2 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV, Russia

3 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV, Russia

Ice Dance

1 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT, France

2 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV, Russia

3 Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV, Russia

Next Stop: Colorado Springs for the 2012 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships from 07 - 12 February, World Arena

4c-e1324337066866.jpg&h=260&w=570&zc=1

Archived