2011-12 ISU Figure Skating Season

Sarah Hughes just got lucky. She was good on a night when the 2 heavies, Kwan and Slutskaya, slipped up. Same thing with Paul Wylie in Albertville. He was never really a great skater like Petrenko and Boitano, but on that night in Albertville, he hit all the right moves and grabbed silver!! There are always some surprises. But if everything is equal leading up to the big nights, one can almost handicap the results.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHK Trophy Results

Men

1 Daisuke TAKAHASHI, Japan

2 Takahiko KOZUKA, Japan

3 Ross MINER, USA

Ladies

1 Akiko SUZUKI, Japan

2 Mao ASADA, Japan

3 Alena LEONOVA, Russia

Pairs

1 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV, Russia

2 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN, Japan

3 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY, Germany

Ice Dance

1 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI, USA

2 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE, Canada

3 Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV, Russia

Up Next: Trophee Eric Bomapard in Paris

Trophee Eric Bompard Results

Men

1 Patrick CHAN, Canada

2 Nan SONG, China

3 Michal BREZINA, Czech Republic

Ladies

1 Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA, Russia

2 Carolina KOSTNER, Italy

3 Alissa CZISNY, USA

Pairs

1 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV, Russia

2 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV, Russia

3 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD, Canada

Ice Dance

1 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR, Canada

2 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT, France

3 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE, Italy

Up Next: Final stop in Mosciw for Rostelecom Cup

Well, the Rostelecom Cup Grand Prix event has no official website. Therefore, the ISU entry/results page is the only way to know about the event for this weekend. Here are the links: Men, Ladies, Pairs, and Ice Dance.

Rostelecom Cup Results

Men

1 Yuzuru HANYU, Japan

2 Javier FERNANDEZ, Spain

3 Jeremy ABBOTT, USA

>> In what was a nailbiter Spain Fernandez beats Hanyu in the free but Hanyu wins by .03

Ladies

1 Mao ASADA, Japan

2 Alena LEONOVA, Russia

3 Adelina SOTNIKOVA, Russia

Pairs

1 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY, Germany

2 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV, Russia

3 Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK, Italy

Ice Dance

1 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE, USA

2 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE, Canada

3 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV, Russia

Up Next: Grand Prix Final in Quebec City.

2011_GPF-lg-en.png

Rachel Flatt has flamed out. She was never great. At best she was mediocre. Now she's truly lackluster. I blame her selfishness for the US losing their third spot at Worlds.

Hang up your skates, Flatt. Get off the stage before you get carried off. You're done.

Rachel Flatt has flamed out. She was never great. At best she was mediocre. Now she's truly lackluster. I blame her selfishness for the US losing their third spot at Worlds.

Hang up your skates, Flatt. Get off the stage before you get carried off. You're done.

For Nice the Ladies will be Czisny and either Nagasu or Wagner

2011_GPF-lg-en.png

ISU Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating entries and alternates:

Men:

GPF Qualifiers:

1 Patrick CHAN CAN 15 15 30

2 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN 11 15 26

3 Jeremy ABBOTT USA 15 11 26

4 Michal BREZINA CZE 15 11 (9) 26

5 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP 13 13 26

6 Yuzuru HANYU JPN 9 15 24

GPF Alternates:

7 Nan SONG CHN 11 13 24

8 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN 11 13 24

9 Adam RIPPON USA 9 9 18

Ladies:

GPF Qualifiers:

1 Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA RUS 15 15 30

2 Mao ASADA JPN 13 15 28

3 Carolina KOSTNER ITA (13) 15 13 28

4 Akiko SUZUKI JPN 13 15 28

5 Alissa CZISNY USA 15 11 26

6 Alena LEONOVA RUS (9) 11 13 24

GPF Alternates:

7 Adelina SOTNIKOVA RUS 11 11 22

8 Mirai NAGASU USA 7 13 20

9 Ashley WAGNER USA 11 9 20

Pairs:

GPF Qualifiers:

1 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV RUS 15 15 30

2 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER 15 (11) 15 30

3 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS 15 15 (13) 30

4 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN 13 13 26

5 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN JPN 9 13 22

6 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN 11 11 22

GPF Alternates:

7 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN 11 11 22

8 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS 7 13 20

9 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN 13 7 20

Ice Dance:

GPF Qualifiers:

1 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE USA 15 15 30

2 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN 15 15 30

3 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 13 15 28

4 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS 15 11 26

5 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA 13 13 26

6 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 13 (13) 13 26

GPF Alternates:

7 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 11 11 22

8 Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS 11 9 20

9 Isabella TOBIAS / Deividas STAGNIUNAS LTU 11 7 18

/\/\ I really hope Alissa medals so that'll set her up nicely for Worlds!!

In Dance, wow! 2 pairs each from the US and Canada!!

Canada's figure skating program is struggling. No top women or Pairs (that can win medals) and after Chan no men that could do well.

Canada's figure skating program is struggling. No top women or Pairs (that can win medals) and after Chan no men that could do well.

Well, this is only the Grand Prix events. What really matters is how a nation does well at the World Championships itself. It determines how many skaters that a nation can send to the next World Championships. For example, even though South Korea has no ladies that qualified for the Grand Prix final, the nation can send 2 ladies skaters to the World Championships. The same can be said for the Italians, when it comes to the pairs event.

Speaking of the upcoming World Championships in Nice, France, I am surprised that Georgia (of the former USSR one) has qualified two ladies skaters to the event. Must have done well at the last World Championships in Moscow.

Well, this is only the Grand Prix events. What really matters is how a nation does well at the World Championships itself. It determines how many skaters that a nation can send to the next World Championships. For example, even though South Korea has no ladies that qualified for the Grand Prix final, the nation can send 2 ladies skaters to the World Championships. The same can be said for the Italians, when it comes to the pairs event.

Speaking of the upcoming World Championships in Nice, France, I am surprised that Georgia (of the former USSR one) has qualified two ladies skaters to the event. Must have done well at the last World Championships in Moscow.

Georgia also qualified a second female skater but only sent one during the last Olympic season. As for Canada let's hope Phaneuf's switch to Orser will work wonders for her and secure Canada a second slot for the ladies for London 2013 (assuming she wins Nationals)

That's not any worse than usual. Between men's skating and ice dance, they have two legit gold medal contenders. That's more than the US can say. Canada's doing just fine.

That's not any worse than usual. Between men's skating and ice dance, they have two legit gold medal contenders. That's more than the US can say. Canada's doing just fine.

the only legit gold medal contenders for the US are Davis and White. Jeremy Abbott led the short at Rostelecom Cup only to falter in the free ending up third. Nagasu is she get her nerves under control should be a contender.

the only legit gold medal contenders for the US are Davis and White. Jeremy Abbott led the short at Rostelecom Cup only to falter in the free ending up third. Nagasu is she get her nerves under control should be a contender.

Hmmmmmmm. The Shibutanis and Alyssa are at least contending for bronze.

Georgia also qualified a second female skater but only sent one during the last Olympic season. As for Canada let's hope Phaneuf's switch to Orser will work wonders for her and secure Canada a second slot for the ladies for London 2013 (assuming she wins Nationals)

They qualified two but always decline the second slot (happened at the Olympics).

@AthensFan Canada had a legit medal hopeful in all four events just two years ago, not its down to two events. With Moir/Virtue making noises about retirement it does not bode well for the future of figure skating in Canada.

I hadn't heard Virtue and Moir's retirement buzz. I love their free dance this year....their departure would be a huge loss.

All I'm saying is that Canada has a shot at two golds. I can't remember a time when Canada pulled two golds out of any Worlds or Olympic Games. I can't remember more than two medals period -- though it may have happened, I don't follow all this that closely.

By contrast, the US has one gold medal hopeful -- Davis and White who could well be beaten. The Shibutanos are going for bronze. The men are decidedly weak. I gave up on Abbot years ago -- jeez he bugs me! The pairs presence is nearly non-existent. The women are going through a bad drought. Csizny is off her game and nearing retirement age. Nagasu is unreliable. Wagner doesn't have the difficulty.

I think it's fair to say that the US is in far worse shape than Canada.

Oops...Shibutanis...

They qualified two but always decline the second slot (happened at the Olympics).

@AthensFan Canada had a legit medal hopeful in all four events just two years ago, not its down to two events. With Moir/Virtue making noises about retirement it does not bode well for the future of figure skating in Canada.

Tessa and Scott didn't say anything about retirement. They say that they're taking it one day at a time and will eventually decide on Sochi.

If they had won gold last year they would have retired.

source??? i've followed skating since for sometime and what they simply said something along the of they're approaching it one day at a time.

source??? i've followed skating since for sometime and what they simply said something along the of they're approaching it one day at a time.

Its just a hunch. They simply would have had no motivation if they won gold, no team is gonna go out in second place when they know they can finish in first.

A lot of people were surprised they hadn't retired after Vancouver and the wer considerably younger than all recent championships except for in Lillehammer were one of the skaters was 22 at the time. Most ice dancers come to their prime in their late 20's. For them to have won so early is remarkable.

Archived