Sign in to follow this  
olympian

2011-12 ISU Figure Skating Season

Just glad Worlds 2011 was held at all. Thanks to Moscow and the Russian Figure Skating Association for stepping in on such a short notice (5 weeks). The French Figure Skating Federation has confirmed that 2012 Worlds will be held at the Palais des Expositions, in Nice, France. Second hosting for them, they hosted it in 2000 when the ISU stripped the hosting rights from the original host Brisbane and Nice was able to organize the event in seven months.

Here's the schedules of the 2011-12 Grand Prix circuit and importants events:

Oct 21 - 23 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Skate America, Ontario, California, USA

Oct 28 - 30 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Skate Canada, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Nov 4 - 6 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Cup of China, Beijing, China

Nov 11 - 13 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - NHK Trophy, Sapporo, Japan

Nov 18 - 20 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Trophee Eric Bompard, Paris, France

Nov 25 - 27 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Rostelecom Cup, Moscow, Russia

Dec 8 - 11 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, (Combined Juniors and Seniors), Quebec City, Quebec, Canada

Important Competitions:

European Figure Skating Championships 2012 - Sheffield, Great Britain, 23 - 29 Jan

Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2012 - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA, 7 - 12 Feb

World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2012 - Minsk, Belarus, 27 Feb - 4 Ma

World Figure Skating Championships 2012 - Nice, France, 26 Mar - 1 Apr

Oct 21 - 23 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Skate America, Ontario, California, USA

Oct 28 - 30 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Skate Canada, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Dec 8 - 11 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, (Combined Juniors and Seniors), Quebec City, Quebec, Canada

Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2012 - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA, 7 - 12 Feb

Wow! A season of repetitive alliteration. I wonder if a lot of luggage will get mixed up in October?

Logo of 2011 ISU Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating to be held in Quebec City, Quebec.

2011_GPFS_EN-lg.jpg

Logo of 2013 Worlds

WorldsLondonLogoSmall.jpg

The 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships logo represents many aspects central to the sport of figure skating. The intertwining shapes and colours indicate the duality of the sport, where artistry and athletic power combine. Merging the fluid shapes of figure skating with the energetic expressiveness of colour, this logo captures the vision of a multi-faceted, modern celebration of figure skating to be staged in London.

Updated.................

Nov 4 - 6 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Cup of China, Shanghai, China

Important Competitions:

European Figure Skating Championships 2012 - Sheffield, Great Britain, 23 - 29 Jan

logo of 2012 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Colorado Springs, Colorado

2012-four-continents-logo.jpg

Kim Yu-na Uncertain for Skating Worlds

Sep. 16, 2011 10:46 KST

Olympic figure skating champion Kim Yu-na may skip the upcoming World Championships in March in Nice, France, she said on Thursday.

"In order to compete, you have to have a clear goal and be mentally prepared for it," said the 21-year-old. "But I don't know exactly what I want to do at this point."

Kim was speaking at an event in Los Angeles to announce the city's successful bid to host the 2015 Special Olympics. She is a global promotional ambassador for the Games, the largest athletics competition for the mentally challenged.

She also hinted that she is still agonizing over whether to retire from the sport or remain competitive.

Unsure about her future, Kim skipped the ISU Grand Prix Series -- which runs from October to December -- last year and started preparing for the World Championships from October, three to four months later than other skaters.

She collected a silver medal at the Worlds in Moscow in May.

But Kim has fallen even further behind schedule this year. Not only is she skipping the GP Series, but it is uncertain whether she will compete at next year's Worlds.

She left Korea for LA at the end of last month and is currently training at the East West Ice Palace without a coach as her contract with Peter Oppegard has already expired.

"I am in good form, practicing two to three hours a day," she said. "I will decide whether to join any competitions when I'm mentally and physically ready."

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/09/16/2011091600856.html

No Lysacek for figure skating's 2011 GP series

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado — Reigning Olympic champion Evan Lysacek won't compete in figure skating's 2011 Grand Prix Series which starts next week at Skate America, according to US Figure Skating.

Lysacek hasn't competed since he won gold in Vancouver in 2010, but has said he would like to defend his title at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.

He teamed up with coach Frank Carroll in May to pursue that goal, and had been tentatively assigned to compete at Skate America in Ontario, California, next week and at the Trophee Eric Bompard.

"We respect Evan?s decision," US Figure Skating Executive Director David Raith said on Friday. "We will continue to support Evan as he works toward the 2014 Olympic Winter Games."

US Figure Skating didn't give a reason for Lysacek's decision. The skater indicated on Twitter that it had nothing to do with his preparations, which he said were going well.

"I regret to inform that I am withdrawing from the 2011 Grand Prix Series," Lysacek said on his website. "I am extremely trained and eager to compete at Skate America, but a suitable agreement could not be reached between US Figure Skating and myself by the event entry deadline.

"I'm extremely disappointed in this turn of events, but I hope to be back on competitive ice this season."

With Lysacek out of the picture, US Figure Skating Friday said they had selected Douglas Razzano to compete at Skate America, where he'll make his Grand Prix debut.

AFP

Just glad Worlds 2011 was held at all. Thanks to Moscow and the Russian Figure Skating Association for stepping in on such a short notice (5 weeks). The French Figure Skating Federation has confirmed that 2012 Worlds will be held at the Palais des Expositions, in Nice, France. Second hosting for them, they hosted it in 2000 when the ISU stripped the hosting rights from the original host Brisbane and Nice was able to organize the event in seven months.

Nov 4 - 6 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Cup of China, Beijing, China

Important Competitions:

I have never heard of Ontario, California, before. That is, until I read the Wikipedia entry about it.

Anyway, here are the links to the entries that will compete in this GP event: Men, Ladies, Pairs, and Ice Dance.

Official Web Site here.

logo.png

Kim Yu-na to Skip the Entire Pro Circuit This Season

Kim Yu-na will not enter any competitions this season as she wants to focus on mapping out her future, the busy Olympic figure skating champion said on Tuesday.

"I haven't had much time to think about what path I should choose for my future. I want to take a break and think about what to do for the future while skipping competitions this season," the 21-year-old said upon arriving at Incheon International Airport from the U.S.

The 2010 Vancouver Olympics gold medalist forewent the 2010-2011 International Skating Union Grand Prix series and finished second in the 2011 World Championships in Moscow.

She had already declared that she would not compete in the Grand Prix series this season, but was undecided about next year's worlds in Nice, France, until Tuesday. This will be the first time since the 2001-2002 season that Kim has sat out an entire season on the international circuit.

"Since last year, I was uncertain about my plans for the season, but now I have made up my mind and I feel a great sense of relief," she said. "My decision may come as a disappointment to skating fans, but I will definitely be able to meet my fans at ice shows or through other events."

When asked if the decision served as a prelude to her hanging up her skates permanently, Kim replied, "I don't know what I'll do next season. I won't retire until I’m absolutely sure I've had enough."

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/10/19/2011101900878.html

3214.jpg

2011 Skate America Results

Men

1 Michal BREZINA, Czech Repulic

2 Kevin VAN DER PERREN, Belgium

3 Takahiko KOZUKA, Japan

Ladies

1 Alissa CZISNY, USA

2 Carolina KOSTNER, Italy

3 Viktoria HELGESSON, Sweden

Pairs

1 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY, Germany

2 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG, China

3 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH, Canada

Ice Dance

1 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE, USA

2 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT, France

3 Isabella TOBIAS / Deividas STAGNIUNAS, Lithuania

Next stop: Hershey Centre, Mississauga for Skate Canada 2011

Well, here's the ISU's page about the next Grand Prix event in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, from October 28 to October 30.

Links: Participants in Skate Canada -> Men, Ladies, Pairs, and Ice Dance.

Link: Skate Canada page about event.

2011SCIENGSC.jpg

http://www.skatecanada.ca/Portals/2/2011SCIENGSC.jpg[/img

Men

1 Patrick CHAN, Canada

2 Javier FERNANDEZ, Spain

3 Daisuke TAKAHASHI, Japan

Ladies

1 Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA, Russia

2 Akiko SUZUKI, Japan

3 Ashley WAGNER, USA

>>> Tuktamisheva will compete in her first Worlds in 2013 as she's not age eligible for Nice.

Pairs

1 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV, Russia

2 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN, China

3 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD, Canada

Ice Dance

1 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR, Canada

2 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE, Canada

3 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE, Italy

Next stop: Shanghai for Cup of China.

2011SCIENGSC.jpg

Men

1 Patrick CHAN, Canada

3 Daisuke TAKAHASHI, Japan

Ladies

1 Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA, Russia

2 Akiko SUZUKI, Japan

3 Ashley WAGNER, USA

>>> Tuktamisheva will compete in her first Worlds in 2013 as she's not age eligible for Nice.

Pairs

1 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV, Russia

2 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN, China

3 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD, Canada

Ice Dance

1 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR, Canada

2 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE, Canada

3 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE, Italy

Next stop: Shanghai for Cup of China.

This guy is excellent. His spins are magnificent -- when he gets them right; and he has such style. And like most Spaniards, very good-looking too!!

This guy is excellent. His spins are magnificent -- when he gets them right; and he has such style. And like most Spaniards, very good-looking too!!

Brian Orser is coaching him now. He used to be coached by Nikolai Morozov. Not sure who's in charge of his choreo.

Here are Grand Prix Schedule for 2012-13 season

October 19-21, 2012 USA

October 26-28, 2012; Windsor, Ontario, Canada

November 2-4, 2012 China

November 9-11, 2012 Russia

November 16-18, 2012 France

November 23-25, 2012 Japan

December 6-9, 2012 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (junior & senior); Sochi, Russia

Only Skate Canada has announced their host city. Russia and France Grand Prix events will most likely remain in Moscow and Paris respectively.

Here are Grand Prix Schedule for 2012-13 season

October 19-21, 2012 USA

Only Skate Canada has announced their host city. Russia and France Grand Prix events will most likely remain in Moscow and Paris respectively.

Since this just concluded Skate America was in So. California, the Nat'ls in January will be in San Jose; and the 2013 U.S. Nationals will be in Omaha, Nebraska, I guess the 2012 Skate America will be in the eastern time zone. They better get a major metropolitan area (maybe in the DC-Phila-Baltimore area) because I don't think the Skate America on Ontario, CA, did very well box-office-wise. Many of the sessions were quite empty. The economy also has something to do with it; and that Inland Empire area has very high unemployment numbers.

heard attendance at skate america this year was dismal considering its near a big metropolitan area. the last east coast hosting was 2009 in lake placid. maybe a decent sized east coast city or near a big metropolitan will take a shot at SA'12. three out of the last 4 has been held in the west with two of them being in the northwest (everett '08 and portland '10).

heard attendance at skate america this year was dismal considering its near a big metropolitan area. the last east coast hosting was 2009 in lake placid. maybe a decent sized east coast city or near a big metropolitan will take a shot at SA'12. three out of the last 4 has been held in the west with two of them being in the northwest (everett '08 and portland '10).

I could have easily gone and looked into it, but ticket prices were astronomical. That's the sole reason I didn't go.

Wow. Didn't take long for the ISU to choose Sochi to host the 2012 Grand Prix final. Guess that will be one of many test events for the 2014 Winter Olympics there.

Anyway, for the next Grand Prix event in China, here are some links: 1. Men, 2. Ladies, 3. Pairs, and 4. Ice Dance.

Link to official site for the Shanghai event: Click here.

@guardian: a lot of skating assumed Sochi will be given the 2013 Europeans as a test event but instead Zagreb is hosting it. Tokyo is once again hosting 2013-14 Grand Prix Final. That's going to be the third straight Grand Prix Final leading to the Olympics that they'll be hosting. Kitchener, Ontario hosted the 2001-02 Grand Prix Finals.

oops should have said Japan is hosting the 2013-14 GPF. The host city has yet to be named.