Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Westfale

OlympiJA versus NOlympia

On Sunday voters in Garmisch-Partenkirchen will decide, whether they want the Games in their town or not. NOlympia claims the Games are too big for the town (only 30000 inhabitants) and they would damage the environment and the landscape. OlympiJA says it would boost tourism and much needed infrastruture would be built.

There will be two votes. If in one vote NOlympia wins and in the other OlympiJA, there will be a third vote later to decide which vote counts. :blink:

The outcome is uncertain.

I did a bit of Googling to see if there was any precedent for this and notice Vancouver had a vote too. Their numbers:

"On December 10, 2002 City Council decided to hold a vote on Vancouver's participation in hosting the 2010 Olympic Winter Games and Paralympic Winter Games. The "Olympic Vote" took place on February 22, 2003. The results were 64% in favour of the Olympic Bid (voter turn-out was 50%)."

If the results are negative would we actually see Munich withdrawing their bid? I can't imagine how any bid could go to the IOC with a "no" vote in a referendum.

The two polls are about if the town should adhere to the contracts or if the town should consider to drop out of the contracts, only, since all relevant contracts about the Winter Olympics have been already signed.

If there is no clear vote will be third vote...

If the results are negative would we actually see Munich withdrawing their bid? I can't imagine how any bid could go to the IOC with a "no" vote in a referendum.

No, Munich will not withdraw. But of course it would be a huge setback. They are still negotiations with owners of properties which they need for the Games.

There will be two votes. If in one vote NOlympia wins and in the other OlympiJA, there will be a third vote later to decide which vote counts. :blink:

Why are there 2 votes???

I think that the Olympic supporters will win -- but nevertheless, I have the increasing feeling that Munich will lose in Durban and maybe even become a second Salzburg, dropping out on the first ballot.

So, German friends, do we have some results ???

BR - Die Garmisch-Partenkirchner wollen die Spiele

Yes - there is a result - here are the results of both referendums:

Ja zu Olympia 2018 - Ja zu Olympischen Winterspielen und Paralympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Yes to Olympia 2018 - yes to Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games in Garmisch-Partenkirchen)

Yes - 58,07 Prozent (6.853 Stimmen)

No - 41,93 Prozent (4.949 Stimmen)

Keine Olympischen Winterspiele in Garmisch-Partenkirchen! Gegen den Ausverkauf unserer Heimat! (No to Olympic Winter Games in Garmisch-Partenkirchen! Against the sold out of our home)

Yes - 49,41 Prozent (5.526 Stimmen)

No - 50,59 Prozent (5.657 Stimmen)

Ja zu Olympia 2018 - Ja zu Olympischen Winterspielen und Paralympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Yes to Olympia 2018 - yes to Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games in Garmisch-Partenkirchen)

Keine Olympischen Winterspiele in Garmisch-Partenkirchen! Gegen den Ausverkauf unserer Heimat! (No to Olympic Winter Games in Garmisch-Partenkirchen! Against the sold out of our home)

Can you explain teh second vote? (is it the same result as the first vote?)

Can you explain teh second vote? (is it the same result as the first vote?)

sorry I forgot the last result:

Yes to Olympic Winter Games - 54,91 Prozent (6.652 Stimmen)

No to Olympic Winter Games - 45,09 Prozent (5.463 Stimmen)

In Germany a referendum can be hold when a civil movement is able to show a special amount of signatures of people, who support a referendum in a question - since two different civil movements (one pro and one anti Olympic Games in Garmisch-Partenkirchen) had been able to show the demanded number of signatures - both referendums had to be hold - the first referendum was from the pro civil movement and they got a "Yes" vote - the second referendum was from the aniti civil movement and they got a "No", which means that the people want the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games - there was a third vote which had become decisive if in both referendums had been a "Yes" vote

sorry I forgot the last result:

Yes to Olympic Winter Games - 54,91 Prozent (6.652 Stimmen)

No to Olympic Winter Games - 45,09 Prozent (5.463 Stimmen)

That's the result of the tie-break question which would have decided the vote if the proposition of the Olympic supporters as well as the proposition of the Olympic opponents had gotten a majority.

So, to sum it up: The proposition of the Olympic opponents only narrowly missed a majority and the majorities for the Olympic bid in general and for the proposition of the Olympic supporters were not overwhelming (that is, below 60 %). I guess that many in the bid committee have made a big sigh of relief tonight -- but this is probably still a difficult result in the eyes of the IOC. And it's also a result which will probably not silence the Olympic opponents until the IOC vote in Durban.

So, to sum it up: The proposition of the Olympic opponents only narrowly missed a majority and the majorities for the Olympic bid in general and for the proposition of the Olympic supporters were not overwhelming (that is, below 60 %).

mhh - I don't think so the "Yes" vote is nearly 10 percentages higher than the "No" vote

That has been close but that means that the 'YES' to the Games won in both pole.

But that's strange to see a difference between both pole ?

mhh - I don't think so the "Yes" vote is nearly 10 percentages higher than the "No" vote

Well -- according to the BR article you posted, Peter Fischer, the chief organiser of this year's Alpine Skiing World Championships in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and head of the initiative in support of the bid, had said before the referendum: "Würde eine deutliche Mehrheit zwischen 60 und 70 Prozent Befürworter erreicht, dann kann man mit Recht sagen, dass die Bevölkerung von Garmisch-Partenkirchen hinter Olympia 2018 steht" ("If a clear supporting majority between 60 and 70 per cent is reached, one can rightly say that the population of Garmisch-Partenkirchen stands behind Olympia 2018").

So they raised the bar quite high, and they missed it. One cannot say that this is overwhelming support of Garmisch-Partenkirchen's population.

That's the result of the tie-break question which would have decided the vote if the proposition of the Olympic supporters as well as the proposition of the Olympic opponents had gotten a majority.

So, to sum it up: The proposition of the Olympic opponents only narrowly missed a majority and the majorities for the Olympic bid in general and for the proposition of the Olympic supporters were not overwhelming (that is, below 60 %). I guess that many in the bid committee have made a big sigh of relief tonight -- but this is probably still a difficult result in the eyes of the IOC. And it's also a result which will probably not silence the Olympic opponents until the IOC vote in Durban.

Why a tie-break ???

The vote was clear : YES to the "YES Games" in the first pole and NO to the "NO Games" in the second pole... So that means for both poles than people were OK with the 2018 Games !

That has been close but that means that the 'YES' to the Games won in both pole.

But that's strange to see a difference between both pole ?

well, you have to take in mind that in the referendum of the "No"-civil movement less people took part

11,802 votes in the referendum of the "Yes"-civil movement

11,183 votes in the referendum of the "No"-civil movement

the "tie-break" referendum in the case if in both referendums a Yes vote had been occurred took 12,115 people took part

Why a tie-break ???

The vote was clear : YES to the "YES Games" in the first pole and NO to the "NO Games" in the second pole... So that means for both poles than people were OK with the 2018 Games !

I think they made the tie-break referendum to get a clear decision on the same day...

Why less voters ? Did they have to vote in different places and not at the same time ???

I think they made the tie-break referendum to get a clear decision on the same day...

Strange, because it doesn't give the opportunity to clearly think about the previous results and what you really want !

So, why not just organize the tie-break and ask 'Are you FOR or AGAINST the 2018 Games ?' ....

Why less voters ? Did they have to vote in different places and not at the same time ???

No it was done at the same place and at the same time - therewith it is interesting, that the less voted in the "no" referedum...

I guess that most voters took part in the tie-break referendum shows that it might have been sufficient to only ask that tie-break question. Probably the existence of two contrary refenderums confused a few voters or simply didn't bother them.

But that three different questions were asked simply was the result of both the pro-Olympic movement and the anti-Olympic movement asking for referendums on the Olympic bid.

Why 3-times voted?

I don't understand.

There are politically motivated.

I think their opposition reason is not the environment.

This is higher political vote. Not pure voting text.

Anyway, 55% favor. A victory of democracy.

Go! Munich 2018!

Well, it is a honest result. It isn´t a boost for the bid, but they can work with it. I am relieved.