Waw

Mercator

Waw

Any one see

The battel of travalgar reenactment firework display on News 24 ,

looked like the most spectacular firework display staged any where in the world.

With tall ships silhouetted against it .

I can see that on the Thames for a London Olympics.

Yep, apparently more fireworks than the Athens Olympics!

I saw the fireworks at the Cowes Regatta a few years ago - I'll never forget it. The maritime people know how to put on a show - maybe if London wins 2012 they'll ask the Navy to organise the closing ceremony  :;):

It really was an amazing sight. Probably up there with the fireworks display that I saw once at a Jean Michel Jarre concert. It is hard to tell just watching on the TV but it looked incredible.
I like the last picture, with the guy wearing the baseball cap.

Go Yankees!!!!(not Americans, a baseball team).

Are you in any of these? And if you are, which one?

hehe, no I'm not, I took them from the 2M12 website.

and I already knew about the Yankees (though I am not a baseball lover).

yes, great pics, It was amazing!

even though it a a celebration against spanish navy... :sniffle:

no, I don't really care, a huge show of fire and light! great!

Big%20Ben.jpg

Branden.jpg

SYDNEY3.jpg

paris3.jpg

newyork2.jpgnewyork2.jpg

LOL !  WELL DONE YOU CHEEKY SOD !  :wwww:

Erm I thought bidding cities weren't allowed to use their logo in conjunction with the Olympic rings outside of their own country. This is why London's plane was vetoed by the IOC and could not fly to Singapore.

Perhaps it's only cities with a chance of winning who have to stick by these rules!

:)

(that was a joke btw)

OK, who was actually there watching Trafalgar 200?

Here in Portsmouth, we REALLY know how to put on a show!

Now imagine a UK city thirty times the size of us putting on a show. Say for example, London.

I am proud of our Navy, our heritage, our culture and our welcome. Three years ago, another maritime festival, the Tall Ships Race finish was hosted down here. The final day included a spectacular "parade of sail", where all the particpating ships raised their sails in the Spithead. It was reckoned that two or three hundred thousand people would line the shores of Portsmouth, Gosport, Hayling Island and the Isle of Wight to watch.

In the event over TWO THIRDS OF A MILLION turned out.

If the IOC gives London the games, we will fill every seat at every venue. We Brits love a spectacle. Trafalgar 200 was just the latest proof.

Well, we also kinda did that for the re-unveiling of Lady Liberty in New York Harbor in 1986 when fireworks lit all of New York Harbor for 1 hr, 45 minutes.  That spectacle, too, was staged by David Wolper of 1984-LA fame.  Every sailboat, dinghy, junk, felucca and rooftop was likewise filled.  So your Trafalgar re-enactment is nothing particularly new.  (To the UK perhaps; but not to the US.)  

Also, the greatest annual fireworks show in North AMerica is the Thunder Over Louisville show on the eve of the Kentucky Derby.  

Thunder Over Louisville

Fair comment. I was just pleased to see a mention of something big which happened in my home town. We all know how the IOC loves spectacle - it makes the members feel more important. Look how long they drag the announcement out - they can't just open an envelope?

I didn't know they did a big firework show before the Kentucky Derby - to us Brits it just seems odd to precede a horse race with some such event. It's only a horse race!

(Plus, of course, we've got the ACTUAL Derby over here!)

I didn't know they did a big firework show before the Kentucky Derby - to us Brits it just seems odd to precede a horse race with some such event. It's only a horse race!

(Plus, of course, we've got the ACTUAL Derby over here!)

Re the K. Derby thing, I think it's just an added excuse to have the hordes going to Louisville at least stay overnight before the race.  I mean everybody could just come in for the day, and right after the 1-1/2 mins of the race, leave Louisville faster than a bullet.  But with a big fireworks spectacle the night before, then at least the hotels/motels will be filled and people will end up spending for an extra dinner and breakfast/brunch.

That's what makes racing so different over here, then. The Derby is on the second day of the meeting, so at lot of the punters are already in the area. Hotels and guesthouses are fully booked for miles around months in advance anyway. No fireworks needed.

:D Saw the fleet review and firworks display on the TV.

It's just a shame that we wont see such a review of naval force for a long time to come (probibly after the coronation of the new King).

baron-pierreIV

You couldn't fit the battle of travalgar into New York harbor

#1 - I didn't try. It was a comparison of the PYROTECHNICS show.

#2 - How do you know?  Do you have the exact dimensions of the battle area of Trafalgar?   :suspect:

Is  there any chance we COULD get a great firework display of we don’t get the games?

Yes, of course killjoy.  Just come along to my hometown in November every year on Bonfire night and get a free one!!!

As a sidetrack, there's a look back on the events this week on BBC2 Sun 3 Jul, 11:00 - 11:30. I'm surprised there wasn't very much on TV about it apart from on the news.
Many people have been saying the same thing down here. Mike Hancock (Lib Dem), the MP for Portsmouth South, was seething while being interviewed on the local news on Wednesday about the park-and-ride problems spectators encountered after the events ended. I too found it incomprehensible that an event to which 37, that's THIRTY SEVEN foreign navies sent ships, was not being covered live. The only planned live coverage of the Trafalgar reenactment was on the RADIO! Only after someone obviously had a word in the ear of a BBC bigwig did News 24 join in.

Archived