Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi 2030

Sir Rols

Ndolo urges East Africans to pool resources and bid to host 2030 World Cup

As the controversy over the hosting rights of 2018 and 2022 Fifa World Cup settles, a Kenyan personality plans to stir another hornets’ nest.

This time, it is about pooling resources by the East African nations to host the 2030 World Cup.

Reuben Ndolo, former MP for Makadara, and well-known sports personality, has floated an idea that will raise the stakes of hosting the world’s most followed sports competition.

While addressing participants at the Athi Water Services Football tournament at Canon Apollo Primary School in Mbotela on Monday, Ndolo urged East African regional leaders to pull resources and bid to host the 2030 World Cup.

"Multinational companies are willing to come on board and realise this dream for the East African people. Kenya should spearhead this initiative because that will be dovetail with the Vision 2030," said Ndolo.

"Leaders like (Rwanda President) Paul Kagame, Mwai Kibaki and Yoweri Museveni, who are known sports fans can take advantage of this opportunity to showcase East Africa. This is because going it alone as a country can be very expensive, but a joint initiative can work," said Ndolo.

Russia and Qatar will host the 2018 and 2022 World Cup finals, following controversial decisions that has left the global football governing body with body blows.

South Africa hosted the 2010 finals, the first time it came to Africa. Bidding for 2026 finals have not started, although the Iberian joint bid by Portugal and Spain, who failed in its bid for 2018 finals indicated they would go for it.

He said Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi can jointly bid for the World Cup, it can be realised.

Important circle

"Kenya will have completed a very important circle of modernizing infrastructure around the country, the target of Vision 2030, which plans to have modern stadia in all the eight provinces. The other East African nations are also developing their own infrastructrure. Fifa has completed a modern stadium in Dar es salaam and Rwanda is doing very well in this area," said Ndolo.

"International companies like LG, Coca-Cola and Kenya Airways are willing to come on board. Even companies with regional presence like Nakumatt and banks can be brought on board. This will bring economic boom to our region, which will have a spiraling effect on all aspects of life in the region besides working to seal the regional economic integration," he said.

The Standard

My first thought is what a ridiculous idea. But then again, I thought Qatar 2022 was a riodiculous ide3a!

And you tought Qatar was ridiculous....

These countries (specialy Rwanda and Burundi, IMO) still need a looooooong time to reach the requirements needed. But hey, with Septic Blatter anything's possible these days...

At least Qatar had buckets of stupid money to throw around. I think these five would be better investing in their national infrastructures and dealing with their more pressing issues. Yeah, you could say that of all nations, but (contrary to concept of the song) some nations have more money and less problems than others.

But hey, with Septic Blatter anything's possible these days...

I suppose, though, Sepp won't be around for the 2030 vote. Even if he wins a new term this year, he has stated it would be his last (that'll give him more time to post about his passion for countdown clocks here, as per his GB persona!).

The 3 next host to world cup will be European (England) and South American (Argentina or Colombia) and China. No place for African country before long time... Qatar is already an important risk to FIFA...

If FIFA doesn't change significantly over the next seven years I don't want England to bid. I'm starting to see the 2018 loss as a huge blessing in disguise and we're not a country which needs FIFA's approval to be one of the biggest footballing nations on the planet. Given that England can't bid for 2026 under current rules, we'll see the next voting cycle from the outside. If it's anything like the last one was, there's not way we should throw our time and money at a 2030 bid.

Also, why should South America jump ahead of Africa? If a solid African bid comes forward they have greater claim than South America given that the latter hosted more recently.

Lastly, the Chinese appetite for a World Cup needs to be there. I've no doubt they'll have a huge chance if they bid, but the head of the Chinese FA was put back in his box by the Chinese Government last time he suggested a bid from China. I suspect the Chinese wouldn't want to host a world cup until they are a footballing power, and that'll be a while yet.

Best of luck to Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi. I'd love nothing more than for theirs to be the sole bid for 2026 at this moment. Asia won't be able to bid, the USA ought to have more sense than to get involved again, so it could be slim pickings for FIFA for 2026.

Maybe the continent turn can't continue...

In Asia only 3 countries could host (Japan-Korea and China) but Japan and Koran can't host before 2040 (if we look the past except mexico 1974-1986)

In Oceania only Australia, But the potential isn't there, and it will be difficult to propose Match in Europe and South America because there is jetlag.

In Europa there are England, Spain, Belgium-Netherland, and maybe Duo with Eastern countries like Poland/Ukraine 2012

In Africa we have no serious candidate

In America we have Argentina (with Uruguay?) Colombia, USA (To soon after 1994), Chile ? Canada?

If we look we have only 3 continents with serious host, I would like to see Australia but I'm afraid isn't good for Fifa.

• 2 years later...

Maybe the continent turn can't continue...

In Asia only 3 countries could host (Japan-Korea and China) but Japan and Koran can't host before 2040 (if we look the past except mexico 1974-1986)

In Oceania only Australia, But the potential isn't there, and it will be difficult to propose Match in Europe and South America because there is jetlag.

In Europa there are England, Spain, Belgium-Netherland, and maybe Duo with Eastern countries like Poland/Ukraine 2012

In Africa we have no serious candidate

In America we have Argentina (with Uruguay?) Colombia, USA (To soon after 1994), Chile ? Canada?

If we look we have only 3 continents with serious host, I would like to see Australia but I'm afraid isn't good for Fifa.

Well, technically Australia is part of the AFC -Asia Group-...

If FIFA doesn't change significantly over the next seven years I don't want England to bid. I'm starting to see the 2018 loss as a huge blessing in disguise and we're not a country which needs FIFA's approval to be one of the biggest footballing nations on the planet. Given that England can't bid for 2026 under current rules, we'll see the next voting cycle from the outside. If it's anything like the last one was, there's not way we should throw our time and money at a 2030 bid.

Also, why should South America jump ahead of Africa? If a solid African bid comes forward they have greater claim than South America given that the latter hosted more recently.

Lastly, the Chinese appetite for a World Cup needs to be there. I've no doubt they'll have a huge chance if they bid, but the head of the Chinese FA was put back in his box by the Chinese Government last time he suggested a bid from China. I suspect the Chinese wouldn't want to host a world cup until they are a footballing power, and that'll be a while yet.

Best of luck to Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi. I'd love nothing more than for theirs to be the sole bid for 2026 at this moment. Asia won't be able to bid, the USA ought to have more sense than to get involved again, so it could be slim pickings for FIFA for 2026.

Canada have already said that they may look to bid.

With a number of CFL stadiums across the country, either already in place or being developed and that expand when holding the Grey Cup, Canada could host.

Even some new stadia such as in Calgary or even Halifax as having a home team (Stampeders) or potential home team (CFL expansion) and FIFA have held cross country multiple FIFA events ... 2007 FIFA U-20 cup was held from Victoria BC to Montreal, whilst the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup will extend from Moncton NS to Vancouver. You could easily see a World Cup bid involving 10 cities extending from Halifax to Vancouver

And Asia and Europe can't host in 2026 as FIFA excludes countries from federations who have held the 2 previous games - the earliest England could host is 2030, China it is 2034.

Of course they would. Good luck to Canada if they really ant to go for it. Myself, I wouldn't go near FIFA with a ten-foot pole.

Ya me neither. Blatter is the definition of dirtbag. Just the sight of him makes me cringe.

• 4 weeks later...

Would be funny if they had trouble attracting bidders for 2026 after the 2022 decision.

Fifa can go jump - Australia won't be bidding for another world cup, we're happy enough to make it (hopefully for a 3rd time in a row) and go from there.

To only get 1 vote for 2022 showed us that in world football we are either not cared about or minnows when it comes to politicking.

I really hope England gets to host one day (they would be an amazing world cup) but don't have high hopes of this happening.

Archived