Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenadian

The London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony

[This contest is UNOFFICIAL, for entertainment only, and not associated with London 2012 in any way]

Presenting the next Gamesbids competition! The London Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games is seeking proposals for the Opening Ceremony for the Games of the XXX Olympiad.

Declare your intention to bid, form teams if you wish, and create away!

In a document of 4 to 8 pages in length, present your vision for the Opening Ceremony of the Games of the XXX Olympiad. Following the required elements and protocol for an Olympic Opening Ceremony, create proposals presenting the story of the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The Brief

Present a creative vision and overarching theme for the Ceremony.

Include any images to illustrate ideas and concepts. Include specific names of performers you would wish to utilize for the ceremony (dance troupes, singers, musicians, actors, sports figures, etc.)

Provide time estimates for each element. The entire ceremony should be no more than 4 hours in length.

Proposals will be judged by the Gamesbids membership through an exhaustive voting procedure based on their creativity, appeal, and ability to present all the protocol elements of an Olympic Ceremony within the required times and constraints.

While all protocol elements must be presented, feel free to propose your own order for various elements, bearing in mind that certain protocol elements should follow a logical order and best practices from recent Olympic Opening Ceremonies (example, the head of state should arrive before the athletes, organizing officials should speak before the official opening proclamation, the Olympic flag should be hoisted before the lighting of the Olympic flame).

The Event

London 2012

The Opening Ceremony of the Games of the XXX Olympiad

Venue: London Olympic Stadium, 80,000 seats

Date: Friday, July 27, 2012

Required Protocol and Elements

- Countdown

Describe how the last moments before the Opening Ceremony will be counted down.

- Arrival of Olympic officials and Receiving the Head of State of the Host Country

Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II as the Head of State of the United Kingdom (the host country) is received by the President of the IOC (Jacques Rogge) and by the Chair of the Organizing Committee (Sebastian Coe, LOCOG).

- The national anthem of the host country

Describe how “God Save The Queen” and the flag of the United Kingdom will be presented.

- The artistic program

The bulk of the creative elements for the ceremony, the artistic program presents the vision of the Organizing Committee and shares the story of the host city and host country. Describe your vision for the artistic performance. Include details for concepts, the flow of segments and artistic and musical performances as well as how it fits in the overall order of the ceremony.

- Athletes’ parade

Starting with the team from Greece and ending with the team from the United Kingdom, describe how the athletes will enter the stadium, where they will be placed. The order of the other delegations will be alphabetical according to the English language, the language of the host nation. Each delegation will be accompanied by a placard bearing their name as well as their flag. Expect over 200 delegations and 10,000 to 15,000 participants. Describe any unique or specific ideas for presenting the delegations.

- Speech by the President of the Organising Committee (Sebastian Coe), the IOC President (Jacques Rogge), and the official opening by the host country Head of State (Elizabeth II)

- Entry and hoisting of the Olympic Flag and playing of the Olympic Anthem

Describe how the Olympic Flag will be brought into the stadium and how the Olympic Anthem will be performed.

- Arrival of the Olympic Torch and the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron

Describe how the Olympic Torch is brought into the stadium and how the Olympic Cauldron is lit. For the purposes of the London Games, assume that the Olympic Cauldron is on a tower outside the Olympic Stadium (designed by Thomas Heatherwick).

- Symbolic release of doves

Describe how this will be achieved without the use of live doves.

- Athletes and Officials oath

******************************************************************************************************

Time Table:

Declare you interest in bidding by Saturday, May 7, 2011.

Create and announce your team and team name. This name will be used in the voting process.

Formulate ideas and create your document.

Submit all documents for public release by Friday, June 10, 2011.

Assessment period

Round One Voting commences Monday, June 20, 2011.

Each round will be through an open vote and ballots will be open for a full 24 hours. Only Gamesbids members who have been members prior to May 1, 2011 will be eligible to vote.

Voting ends when one proposal achieves 50% +1 of all votes.

Good luck and have fun!

Expressions of interest to bid should be expressed in this thread as should any questions or requests for details.

Sure, I might give this a shot, but the photoshopcontest.com Head 2 Head starts next week, so I might be preoccupied with that. I might give this a shot and fit it in if I have time and or can be bothered. :)

Good lucky to all of you guys. I think I'm not in the mood for this one. Otherwise, if you guys wants one more judge, I'm on =]

I'll take part in this competition. more details to follow later this week.

Some teasing about the International Entertainment Productions bid for the London 2012 Opening.

- It will be a global celebration and a showcase of what UK is today.

- Music will have an important role in the ceremony.

- The whole city will be involved, even if the major moments will still take place in the stadium.

Given the low turnout for the contest, I'm going to extend the application process by one week. If at the end of the week, there are no other applicants, I may rethink or postpone the whole idea.

This is the first time we've done a ceremonies contest so I thought there would be more excitement, but perhaps there is contest fatigue around here?

what is the next contest?when it start?

some idea

-games look(branding)

-worlcup logo 2020/2022 design

-rio mascot design

-medal design

-main olympic stadium design

I think the board is suffering from contest fatigue at the moment. Maybe revisit things after the 2018 decision? Open it up for discussion then.

Agreed, I think a little time away from the contests should re-energise interest :)

Personally I'd like to see a return of a good old fashioned bidding competition. 2024 Olympics. The bid date is around the 2017 mark. Anything your proposed city is building and will be completed by then can be counted as existing. Simply put, we're thinking 2017 here, even though of course it's obviously not.

Personally I'd like to see a return of a good old fashioned bidding competition. 2024 Olympics. The bid date is around the 2017 mark. Anything your proposed city is building and will be completed by then can be counted as existing. Simply put, we're thinking 2017 here, even though of course it's obviously not.

Why not try your hand at organising it? I'd like to se a good summer bid contest work. And it may be a good time - the boards are really getting active again ahead of Durban and the finalisation of the 2020 bidding list. Just try to keep it simple and not have anybody have to do too much work.

You think there's significant support for this? It might be nice to try a 2024 Summer Olympics competition.

Some twists could include:

Any proposed venues which will be completed by 2016 can be considered as existing.

You're looking at a 2017-2014 construction frame.

Any multiple bidders from the same nation may be contested in a domestic bidding race.

uffff will be so boring after beijing and before rio :S what a chance for london lol