Olympic Park

Lee

Regarding the Oribt, the thing that bothers me most is the lift shaft down the "trunk" of the structure. I wish they could disguise it better. It's details like this that make the difference.

I have noticed that also... I just cannot find anything redeeming about the Orbit besides the view from the top of it... because then you can't see it... :-(

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One hopes that the mesh on the bolt-on wings to the aquatics centre get a clean before the games because they are filthy.

There's some nice landscaping which will come into its own during the Summer season. The velodrome is stunning as always. However, the waterpolo arena, aquatics centre and main stadium all look quite tacky in my opinion -- just blancmanges of white blandess.

However, the waterpolo arena, aquatics centre and main stadium all look quite tacky in my opinion -- just blancmanges of white blandess.

Remember that the entire olympic park is lacking any color at all right now... Imagine that there will be garish neon-colored banners and signage all over buildings, walkways, lampposts, rubbish bins, fencing, benches, volunteer uniforms, etc during games time... plus all of the trees and grasses, and flowers will be in colorful bloom... the logo will still be hideous but the Olympic park certainly won't be lacking in color... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OOOOh new webcam

http://www.london201...012-gardens.php

Driving through the park yesterday after the cycling was fantastic, there are temporary buildings popping up everywhere, from a big box which I think is the part of the prestige area (but maybe wrong) to a curved roof structure with arched beams. I know a lot about that park, but most of the buildings I had no idea what they were. There is so much still to be done, they have a long hard slog ahead

Went to Stratford with Martin at the weekend and my overall impression I have to say was negative. There seemed to be no colour at all to the Olympic Park. The view from John Lewis just looked white and grey. The tree planted along the road were awful and the Orbit looked a mess. It really doesn't look any good until it is set against the green lawns.

Looking at that new cam it has made me realise what we could really do with in this Olympic Park, and that is a major expanse of lawn. Not these piddly little patches but something like Munich where thousands can sit together on grass. I know there is a lack of space but it something that is missing.

I also hate the way your are forced through the shopping centre like Martin said. There was no real sense even in Westfield that the games were coming and London just seemed like any other city. I would have expected something happening around Stratford station but there was nothing. Not even a set of Olympic rings. Can I also say that that monstrosity of a sculpture outside Stratford Centre is not doing it's job. If it was put there to cover up the ugly centre it fails because it is even uglier. I know it's not finished but it currently looks horrendous.

I really want to be enthusiastic about these games but nothing seems to be happening. The outside of the park looks drab. it looks lifeless and has no soul about it. I was embarassed when I walked around with Martin but i didn't tell him how I felt. Get your act together LOCOG....AND QUICK!!

There's too much negativity and security issues about putting things up too early. The Park has only just been handed over to LOCOG so you're expecting too much too soon - the Look hasn't even been installed yet, give it a chance (plus it being the middle of winter).

The Park Live site is the big lawn with sweeping views of the Park and river - you can't see that from the John Lewis platform.

There's loads of London 2012 branding around Westfield- more so than any other place in London, the 2012 shop, Team GB shop, every time I go in there they're promoting Mario and Sonic.

Most of London won't get dressed in Olympic look until after the Diamond Jubilee - councils do not have the budget to keep replacing items for both events, and simply unveiling stuff early dilutes the excitement by Games time.

There's too much negativity and security issues about putting things up too early. The Park has only just been handed over to LOCOG so you're expecting too much too soon - the Look hasn't even been installed yet, give it a chance (plus it being the middle of winter).

The Park Live site is the big lawn with sweeping views of the Park and river - you can't see that from the John Lewis platform.

There's loads of London 2012 branding around Westfield- more so than any other place in London, the 2012 shop, Team GB shop, every time I go in there they're promoting Mario and Sonic.

Most of London won't get dressed in Olympic look until after the Diamond Jubilee - councils do not have the budget to keep replacing items for both events, and simply unveiling stuff early dilutes the excitement by Games time.

When the city is dressed for the Games it will add visual flair. But it won't remedy or alleviate the concerns that many have. I feel, as many have also echoed, that there's just too much blandness. The venues look like a symphony of white/grey. They're quite drab.

And beside the 'Orbit' will be a glorified concrete expanse. Sure, it's designed so that thousands of people can gather but it disrupts the organic feel of the landscaping established in other parts of the park.

The park has lovely moments but I think Munich, as far as the whole organically inspired parklands go, was infinitely superior to what London is proposing.

I understand your point Darjole and look forward to seeing the change. I am just a little disturbed by the lack of any sign that an Olympics is taking place this close to the opening ceremony. I also don't get the sense of a parkland from outside. There are no matured trees lining the roads around the park. Instead there are just those awful blair witch looking trees that look truly awful. Oh well, I hope they can turn things around.

I wouldn't call shops branding. It would have been a nice touch to set some coloured Olympic rings into the floor of the main entrance of Westfield. After all, if they're making you walk through it to get to the park then at least they can do is promote the games. Also, why on earth are the christmas decorations still up on the outisde concourses in Westfield? They were all bent over and looked a mess.

The Park Live site is the big lawn with sweeping views of the Park and river - you can't see that from the John Lewis platform

Wasn't aware of that area. Is it a very large area? where does it sit in the park?

I am actually not a negative person. But if I am feeling like this then I bet there are large numbers of other people feeling equally frustrated.

The lights still up in Westfield really confussed me too.

We seemed to have completely opposing weekends though Lee. Travelling through the park to the velodrome I was re-invigurated by what I saw. Theres still so much to do but when spring arrives, that park is going to bloom into colour, and when the look is added it will be a sight to behold Im sure. Travelling back at night as well I could see the links from the velodrome to the Aqualtics centre. The media centre looked fab, the orbit links really well with the feel of the stadium and even the Aquatic centre wings.

Keep the faith Lee, theres still so much to be revealed, Im sure you won't be disapointed

To be honest I haven't been to that part of London for two or three months so can only take your word for how Stratford itself currently looks (I assume not much different from when I was last there) and going to Westfield is my idea of hell on Earth so I'll take your word for that as well. I guess LOCOG's direct responsibility only goes as far as the Park's boundaries and beyond that it's up to the council to buy the decorations they want for the town as other London councils are doing. I totally understand DarJoLe's point about the Diamond Jubilee and fatiguing most people (who aren't as passionate as you about the Games Lee) but am a little shocked to hear you say Westfield and Stratford Station are bare of Olympic references.

The lawns DarJoLe refers to are in the North of the Park between the basketball arena and Riverbank Arena. Large screens, as I understand it, will be perched in the Lea, allowing people on each side to watch the action.

It is, of course, a shame in a way that the Parklands will look most Park-like after the post-Games conversion. The temporary venues come down and make way for larger areas of Parkland, large areas where people need to gather during Games-time will also become park, and Orbit Circus is converted into a garden-cum-festival area.

http://urbanlabgloba...am-winning.html

http://urbanlabgloba...tions-team.html

The extent of the Parklands is not as great as Munich or Sydney (which is huge), but it remains an impressive Olympic Park from the photos I've seen (in fact wasn't it you who found this site Lee?).

http://www.nigeldunn...donolympicpark/

And the velodrome webcam was looking like this render last Summer, lots of grassed areas:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2m46hbm.jpg

I don't think there's really any danger of the Paklands not living up to expectations, and I fully expect the areas around the Park to be dressed-up eventually. I think the biggest danger is if - years down the line - it becomes an island of prosperity within more run-down areas of the East End. It's up to the councils, Boris' new MDA vehicle and our future politicians to ensure that doesn't happen.

I think my main problem is that once you come through Westfield there seems to be no single WOW factor. You are immediately hit with the wings, The Orbit and the top half of the Olympic stadium. No doubt things changed for you Davey as you were able to get into the park but from somebody merely peering in from John Lewis it all did look rather concrete.

I will try to keep some optimism. I can't wait to see everything come together and I am sure I will be happy to look back on my earlier post with nothing but shame. :D

Archived