The Look of the Games

Citizen-Seth

but no real games-specific design elements that weren't already plastered for years at, say, the Nuremburg rallies.

I was thinking about this comment, Rols. Maybe Nuremberg was the 'testing ground' for their intended "Olympic look"? I mean the World Cup and the Olympic Games all have their 'test runs' a year before, might not have the rallies at Nuremberg been the lab for the Nazi look? Okay...hmmm... let's see how our red banners will look in torchlight a year hence when we use them at Garmisch and more ubiquitously in Berlin next summer? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice job Sochi!

It's really difficult to judge a look until overlay starts wrapping buildings and fences. I *hated* Vancouver's until I saw it in our very urban context. I think the Vancouver colours were also chosen to offset flat grey light--which is the norm in February any other year except 2010! LOL!

I'm keen to see the volunteer uniforms. That's one thing Vancouver got right: the sky blue looks great on most people, made folks easy to spot.

5761548880_b4112ec90a_m.jpg

The New Bus Stop by Vlad Feoktistov, on Flickr

This bus stop is the first element of olympic urban improvement programme in Sochi. You can learn more about this <a href="http://arch-sochi.ru/2010/07/edinaya-koncepciya-arhrazvitiya/" rel="nofollow">here</a>. This progrmme was unveiled last year and it describes bus stops design, appearance of houses in tourist zones and designs of street lanterns, roads and so on. What is interesting, this programme doesn't correspond with "look of the games" concept.

Sorry for link error.

You can learn more about this here.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get why someone would compare this look to Atlanta 1996 but......it is absolutely stunning!

Because they are both BASED on the idea of QUILTS, duh!! Do you even know what a Q-U-I-L-T is?

Execution is different. Atlanta's leitmotif was a "Quilt of Leaves;" Sochi's is X'mas wrapping paper. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

At first glance it may looks messy but I think it works fine in a winter contest and somehow it reminds russian iconography. I like the fact they used a good variety of palette colors like Torino.

The pattern seems taken from a cheap blanket, though. :D

• 4 months later...

That's what I thot: moldy, smelly, full of piss, cheap vodka and...sex.

I think you left out reeking of disgusting and highly toxic cigarette stench... the smoking % in Russia is horrendously high according to the world health organization reports... Bleh! :wacko:

The website says that the term ''Look of the games'' was first introduced in Barcelona (btw, thanks for the awesome link Rols)

The website is mistaken. I own the official report of the LA Games. Volume 1, chapter 10 is titled "The Look of the Games." LA created the terminology and the first official "look."

Archived