BMW - Next TOP Sponsor?

BMW Considering Global Olympics Sponsorship, Board Member Robertson Says

Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW), the world’s largest luxury carmaker, may become a global sponsor of the International Olympic Committee, one of its board members said.

“Yes, we would like to expand our reach with the whole Olympic movement,” Ian Robertson, a BMW board member and its sales chief, said in an interview in London today, when asked if the company would be interested in a global Olympics sponsorship.

The IOC currently has 11 sponsors in its so-called Olympic Partner program. That’s the highest level of sponsorship and gives companies exclusive global marketing rights to the Summer, Winter and Youth Olympic Games. Procter & Gamble Co., the world’s largest consumer-products company, and Dow Chemical Co., the world’s second-largest chemical company, last year joined the top-tier program through 2020. Other top-tier sponsors of the IOC include General Electric Co. and Visa Inc. The IOC doesn’t have a global car sponsor.

IOC president Jacques Rogge told Bloomberg in an interview in July that the Lausanne, Switzerland-based organization wanted to add one more global sponsor to a program that has raised more than $1 billion in income.

“The values of the Olympic movement fit very nicely with ours, and it’s something which has a true global position,” Robertson said at the Sport Accord conference in London.

“Not many sports do. Whether it’s the Winter Olympics or the Summer Olympics, there is huge audience participation, it really is an international affair on all corners of the globe and that’s something we’d like to be part of.”

Munich Bid

Earlier in the day, Robertson had appeared on stage alongside two-time Olympic figure-skating champion Katarina Witt and German interior minister Hans-Peter Friedrich to help present the Munich bid to host the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Munich-based BMW, which was also involved with the 1972 Munich Summer Games, is one of several German companies supporting the Bavarian city’s bid. The carmaker also endorses the national Olympic committees of the U.S., China, France and Greece, and is backing next year’s London 2012 Olympics.

Munich is competing with Annecy, France, and Pyeongchang, South Korea, to host the Games, with the IOC voting July 6 in Durban, South Africa.

“If Munich wins, it will be very good for German industry,” Robertson said. “But I also think it will be very good for the Olympic movement. As we’ve been talking in there, German companies are highly involved with the Olympic movement, in particular the winter side. And I can see that being extended even further.”

German companies currently generate 50 percent of the revenue of the 7 sports federations that have events in the Olympic Winter Games, Robertson said.

Bloomberg

My first thoughts are: could this be a plus for the Munich bid?

War of Money.

The IOC member could be purchased with money.

Like Mr. so-and-so. :ph34r:

If that were totally the case, Chicago would not have been eliminated for 2016...

and who is mr. so and so? Nature, please don't become a freak of nature on these forums.

If that were totally the case, Chicago would not have been eliminated for 2016...

and who is mr. so and so? Nature, please don't become a freak of nature on these forums.

I mean just the title of IOC member.

Not vote.

In the past could buy the votes.

Now I don't know.

:wacko:

Never going to happen. That category is waaaaaay too lucrative for the OCOGs for the IOC to take away, and with TOP's probable restructuring in 2022, look for the number of worldwide partners to drop down to 5-7 at most.

Although currently Daimler are an official Olympic supplier to the IOC outside of the Games time* (ie. The IOC Session, operations in Switzerland etc).

*Games time includes the Olympic Games, the Olympic Winter Games, as well as other events under the auspices of the IOC, such as the European Youth Olympic Festival and the Youth Olympic Games, all of whom have their own commercial partners.

(Of course I do not work for or speak on the behalf of the IOC, this comment is from my own understanding, observations and parts of Olympic.org)

The carmaker also endorses the national Olympic committees of the U.S., China, France and Greece, and is backing next year’s London 2012 Olympics.

By 'backing' they mean supplying more than 4000 cars to the organising committee to ferry around IOC members and athletes (as if we needed more BMW drivers on our roads :rolleyes:)

So yeah, they've got quite a big role in next year's Games.

Archived