Annecy bid's budget

neige

Today, Annecy's budget is 30 Millions of Euros.

It's not as big as Munich or PC but it should help for the international promotion.

(that's what Grospiron wanted!)

From my point of view, this low budget (even if it's better than before) could be used as a plus for the bid.

I explain:

IOC said that the games should now be more reasonable.

Annecy's budget could be presented as a "reasonable budget", just what is needed to clearly explain its project.

Is it reasonable to spend $100 Millions just to convince 100 people?

It is wasted money!

It'd be interesting to see a comparison of bid budgets to election results over the years.

If this Times report is to be believed Rio had marginally the smallest budget for 2016:

Chicago

Bid budget: $49.3m (£33.2m)

Tokyo

Bid budget: Y5.5bn (£40.5m)

Madrid

Bid budget: E40m (£35m)

Rio de Janeiro

Bid budget: $42m (£29.3m)

By contrast, London outspent all its rivals for 2012.

So, sometimes the biggest budget helps, sometimes it doesn't.

It'd be interesting to see a comparison of bid budgets to election results over the years.

If this Times report is to be believed Rio had marginally the smallest budget for 2016:

Chicago

Bid budget: $49.3m (£33.2m)

Tokyo

Bid budget: Y5.5bn (£40.5m)

Madrid

Bid budget: E40m (£35m)

Rio de Janeiro

Bid budget: $42m (£29.3m)

Budget is different from what was actually raised AND spent.

By Chicago's own books' admission, their final dollar outlay came to $65 million...and that did not include some $6 mil donated in material and services and hundreds of manhours of volunteers and interns.

Neige, just tell Annency to keep and save their money. But hey, if they want to throw it...

Today, Annecy's budget is 30 Millions of Euros.

It's not as big as Munich or PC but it should help for the international promotion.

(that's what Grospiron wanted!)

From my point of view, this low budget (even if it's better than before) could be used as a plus for the bid.

I explain:

IOC said that the games should now be more reasonable.

Annecy's budget could be presented as a "reasonable budget", just what is needed to clearly explain its project.

Is it reasonable to spend $100 Millions just to convince 100 people?

It is wasted money!

back to the topic.

Do you think that a low budget could be used as an argument for Annecy?

Perhaps this will help to understand the issue...

Initial Olympic Bid Campaign Budgets Critical to Success - Or So It Seems

Thanks for the link, really interresting...

So, it would mean that a "reasonable budget" can not yet be used as an argument by a bid.

Do you confirm that it wouldn't be well received by IOC members?

Though, I find that the Socchi ice rink in a plane to Guatemala city is really crazy. It seems to me that if I had been an IOC member, it would have had the reverse effect and I would't have voted for Socchi!

And I have another concern:

When a limitation for bids budgets (like political elections)?

Thanks for the link, really interresting...

So, it would mean that a "reasonable budget" can not yet be used as an argument by a bid.

Do you confirm that it wouldn't be well received by IOC members?

Though, I find that the Socchi ice rink in a plane to Guatemala city is really crazy. It seems to me that if I had been an IOC member, it would have had the reverse effect and I would't have voted for Socchi!

And I have another concern:

When a limitation for bids budgets (like political elections)?

Neige,

I think you are confused. A reasonable budget might be an argument, but that means the budget for organizing the Olympic Games. The bid budget is useless as an argument. And we are talking about the bid budget here, not the budget of the Games.

Neige,

I think you are confused. A reasonable budget might be an argument, but that means the budget for organizing the Olympic Games. The bid budget is useless as an argument. And we are talking about the bid budget here, not the budget of the Games.

No, my concern is really the bid budget (I might not explain it very well in english).

Could Annecy use its "reasonable bid budget" as an argument and claim "we have a reasonable budget and we're pround of it. It's not necessary to have more to clearly present our project and having much more than that would not be reasonable, it would be wasting money"?

My other concern is:

Why is there not a limitation for each bid budget (like for political elections) to avoid absurd extravaganzas such as the Socchi ice rink in a plane to Guatemala?

Neige,

No, my concern is really the bid budget (I might not explain it very well in english).

Could Annecy use its "reasonable bid budget" as an argument and say "we have a reasonable budget and we're pround of it. It's not necessary to have more to clearly present our project and having much more than that would not be reasonable, it would be wasting money"?

My other concern is:

Why is there not a limitation for each bid budget (like for political elections) to avoid absurd extravaganzas such as the Socchi ice rink in a plane to Guatemala?

Neige,

Regarding an OCOG a reasonable budget is not a good argument... You need to have a realistic budget in order to have all means to organize properly the games !

But, if we were listenning properly the IOC recommandation you should have a reasonable BID budget in order to only spend the money needed to realised your faisability studies and some promotion !

So Annecy has a reasonable BID budget but a realistic OCOG budget ;)!

Regarding an OCOG a reasonable budget is not a good argument... You need to have a realistic budget in order to have all means to organize properly the games !

But, if we were listenning properly the IOC recommandation you should have a reasonable BID budget in order to only spend the money needed to realised your faisability studies and some promotion !

So Annecy has a reasonable BID budget but a realistic OCOG budget ;)!

What I meant was that discussing the bid itself during the campaign is not the right way to go. The whole purpose of the bid is to discuss what is going to happen in the actual Games.

I agree about the "realistic budget", but the size of the budget might also be a selling point. And not only the OCOG budget but the whole budget, including the non-OCOG parts (infrastructure projects, venues, etc.). Lower budgets usually mean lower risks. High budget bids must rely on strong legacy to be viable.

Could Annecy use its "reasonable bid budget" as an argument and say "we have a reasonable budget and we're pround of it. It's not necessary to have more to clearly present our project and having much more than that would not be reasonable, it would be wasting money"?

My other concern is:

Well, they can do whatever they want, but I doubt that such an argument will mean anything.

The whole point of the bid process is to show that the bid city will organize the best games, so the aspects of the management of the bid tend to be irrelevant.

Well, they can do whatever they want, but I doubt that such an argument will mean anything.

The whole point of the bid process is to show that the bid city will organize the best games, so the aspects of the management of the bid tend to be irrelevant.

OK, thanks. I now have your opinion.

I really think Annecy has a strong technical file. With a good campaign, they could convince they will organize the best games.

The problem is that their image is not politically acceptable (WOG 3 times in France).

I wonder what they can do to improve this image. A reasonable bid budget could have been a way.

I agree, it's certainly not a strong argument, but with the sum of small arguments...you never now...everything is still possible.

Archived