Guess the 1st round 2018 votes in Durban!

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the 2018 race started off, I wasn't particularly in favour of PC.

That was true of a lot of posters here. I remember that two years ago, Gamesbids was a hostile place for a Pyeongchang supporter, as many were getting tired of a 3rd bid. And Germany has always been popular on these boards, which helped Munich's cause and turned people against Pyeongchang. All the while there was no one to speak for Pyeongchang the way Andrew8 used to during the 2010 and 2014 bid campaigns, and I guess it's easier to hammer a bid when there's no one around to defend it (I know that I was guilty of leaving too, after Sochi won). I remember trying to make a few posts but the popular opinion here was so lopsided that there was really no point in trying back then.

Fortunately, much of the attacks on Pyeongchang and Korea died down after the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. I'm really proud of Pyeongchang to see how far they've come in the past two years, knowing that at one point many had written them off as a lost cause. Of course, none of that matters if you aren't ahead on the last day of the bid race, so there's still work to be done.

That was true of a lot of posters here. I remember that two years ago, Gamesbids was a hostile place for a Pyeongchang supporter, as many were getting tired of a 3rd bid. And Germany has always been popular on these boards, which helped Munich's cause and turned people against Pyeongchang. All the while there was no one to speak for Pyeongchang the way Andrew8 used to during the 2010 and 2014 bid campaigns, and I guess it's easier to hammer a bid when there's no one around to defend it (I know that I was guilty of leaving too, after Sochi won). I remember trying to make a few posts but the popular opinion here was so lopsided that there was really no point in trying back then.

Fortunately, much of the attacks on Pyeongchang and Korea died down after the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. I'm really proud of Pyeongchang to see how far they've come in the past two years, knowing that at one point many had written them off as a lost cause. Of course, none of that matters if you aren't ahead on the last day of the bid race, so there's still work to be done.

Hmmmm. I think you're right to a degree that Munich has always tended to be a popular bid here, while PC had lost a lot of its novelty after its two previous outings. Fresh bidding faces always tend to be a bit more popular, and repeats like PC, Madrid and Istanbul struggle to get much support here.

But I think, from the moment Rogge read out the name Sochi in the Guatemala City session, there's always been a strong expectation here, whether people were in favour of them or not, that it was the favourite and the one to beat for 2018.

Hmmmm. I think you're right to a degree that Munich has always tended to be a popular bid here, while PC had lost a lot of its novelty after its two previous outings. Fresh bidding faces always tend to be a bit more popular, and repeats like PC, Madrid and Istanbul struggle to get much support here.

But I think, from the moment Rogge read out the name Sochi in the Guatemala City session, there's always been a strong expectation here, whether people were in favour of them or not, that it was the favourite and the one to beat for 2018.

I agree that 4 years ago right after the last vote, people saw PC as a favourite. I didn't think that was the case 2 years ago.

Win or lose, I don't think we have to worry about PC anymore. I doubt we'll see a 4th bid either way. :P

I agree that 4 years ago right after the last vote, people saw PC as a favourite. I didn't think that was the case 2 years ago.

Win or lose, I don't think we have to worry about PC anymore. I doubt we'll see a 4th bid either way. :P

I dunno. I think the expectations of PCs strength has been pretty consistent.

Well, if PC does lose this time, I expect the next day the speculation about whether Busan will enter the 2020 race will spark up.

I dunno. I think the expectations of PCs strength has been pretty consistent.

Well, if PC does lose this time, I expect the next day the speculation about whether Busan will enter the 2020 race will spark up.

In which case I might have to pull a "nature," because I don't think I would support a lost cause like Busan. Hopefully, the KOC won't either. I do wonder though, if all countries go through this "secondary city" phase at least once, decades after their primary city has hosted. They're almost never successful, but that doesn't stop Britain from trying out Birmingham and Manchester, France with Lille, Germany with Leipzig, Japan with Nagoya and Osaka...

So far, I did not speak to Pyeongchang's supporters. They seems consistent regardless of any problems of Pyeongchang. And distort the facts. Some Pyeongchang supporter says it wants to visit the Seoul Olympics Stadium, but Stadium demolition is being discussed. :D

So far, I did not speak to Pyeongchang's supporters. They seems consistent regardless of any problems of Pyeongchang. And distort the facts. Some Pyeongchang supporter says it wants to visit the Seoul Olympics Stadium, but Stadium demolition is being discussed. :D

Evading the thrust of the thread as usual. U're NOT KOREAN! Such a liar!

Evading the thrust of the thread as usual. U're NOT KOREAN! Such a liar!

And even if he is, it doesn't matter anymore anyway. He's proven himself to be such a nut that he will never be seen as being representative of the Korean people and their views on the Olympic bid.

And even if he is, it doesn't matter anymore anyway. He's proven himself to be such a nut that he will never be seen as being representative of the Korean people and their views on the Olympic bid.

I will not respond about the cheap articles of the Pyeongchang supporters no longer.

If I was an IOC member surfing through some of your posts, Tulsa, I think I'd be pretty darn appalled by them. In fact, even if I kept my calm and tried to objectively listen to some of your comments, I'd find it hard to find reasonable 'facts' about Annecy, because you spend all your effort talking down various members of the website and PC. It's such a shame, because should you concentrate more on promoting the positive aspects of Annecy (as you have done on a few occasions), you'd be received well. Instead, you show absolute cultural arrogance and concentrate most of your efforts defaming other candidate cities (well, just one in particular really), which is not the best tactic, as evident by your poor reputation.

This is my sincere advice to you, Tulsa, and I hope you take the advice.

I'm agree with you, and when I arrive on GB I was like this. But some members here don't respect me or my opinion. Some people insult me and don't respect me. These people don't have arguments but only free critics... And now when I speak like them, they critic me because I'm not for PC...

On GB the only way it's to be PC or Munich, if someone think differently, automatically he will be discredited... the perfect example is Baron, a man totally stupid who pass his time to insult without arguments his purposes...

I think i stop my critic about PC, we can't expose legitimate arguments here. When i explain why I think PC isn't a good place, everybody think I have hate against PC, it's false, I like Korea but for me isn't a good place to WoG... Why when I tell Korea isn't a good place some people say I'm racist??? :mellow:

Isn't my fault if some members are stupid and don't understand my arguments...

My opinion it's simple about PC, they don't have good climatic condition, they don't have popular fervor about winter sport and they have a lack of knowledge about winter event... It's the reasons why I think they can't host WoG, but here we can't have this opinion... Explain me why?

For the next month I try to be fair play. ;)

I like Korea but for me isn't a good place to WoG... Why when I tell Korea isn't a good place some people say I'm racist??? :mellow:

They are limited Pyeongchang supporters less than 5 people on GB. Their playing will end after 22 days. I hopefully, don't look PC 2018.

Isn't my fault if some members are stupid and don't understand my arguments...

:lol::lol::lol:

Because your arguments are very STUPID and narrow-minded & it's a waste of time to argue with you!!

Your so-called TECHNICAL perfection of Annency is "perfection" only in your eyes!! The Olympic-selection criteria isn't VIEWED from your eyes. I think you can see past your "narrow" confines but you just REFUSE to do so for you think that admitting PC's other appeals automatically weakens Annency's chances...which it really does. But that's the name of the game.

I'm so burned out by your obdurate stance that I really will not waste my goodwill & try to explain things 2 u farther. Yeah, I am sure Annency is beautiful and all that...but it's NOT the only place in the world at this time that can stage an Olympic Games. And the funny thing is, you haven't even been to Korea to make your appraisals credible. It's all from a tunnel Euro-vision.

You don't and REFUSE to see what is called "Olympism." I think you should just stay in your mountain chalet, Tulsa. BTW, why r u named "Tulsa"?

Now as for that other nut...NUTURE!! :lol:

They are limited Pyeongchang supporters less than 5 people on GB. Their playing will end after 22 days. I hopefully, don't look PC 2018.

Less than 5? What is less than 5? That's 3 more than your clown duo of you & Tulsa. At least Tulsa is authentic Euro-centric; u're such a "fake supporter" of Annency!!

What galls me is that your 'act' was cute for at the start...but since then it's made a mockery of what GB is about; and your phony 'act' really has taken on the sincere supporters of PC. They may have the patience to give you the benefit of the doubt...but I have NO PATIENCE for your bullsh*t whatsoever...so I will be on your tail!!

Total TROLL!!

I'm Korean, Korea is not ready for Winter Olympics host. Korea is not New horizons.

For the Popular Winter Sports. When Pyeongchang was held in 2009 Biathlon and Snowboard WC, the spectators and the atmosphere almost nothing. Everyone agrees. According to unnamed sources, Some IOC members are concerned about it.

For the Downhill, Downhill venue is the primeval forest. Under current law, development is illegal. This is not the Olympic spirit.

For the possibility of Pyeongchang, Korea has just 18 resorts, almost smaller size. Yongpyeong is the largest resort in Korea but, 20 times less than Whistler. Moreover, Ski resorts can't make anymore in Korea. Because, The mountain is not enough. Muju resort in Korea as the second large-scale. Nevertheless, Mountain conditions are not good. FIS wrote, “(We) cannot support the construction of new race courses on the terrain of Muju’s South-Dokyu Mountain for technical and environment reasons”.

For Alpensia resosrt, have debt 800 million dollar, have juts 6 short slopes. So, Asia's winter hub is impossible. I can imagine the situation enough after the Olympics. It is not for public, have 100 more luxury houses and golf course for VIP.

For the Financial problems, Gangwon province development corporation has liabilities 1.3 billion dollars including Alpensia 800 million, due to Alpensia resort construction. Additional government spending must stop.

For the Future in Asia, Japan have 600 more ski resort and Hakuba and Zao is most famous resorts in Asia. Harbin Yabuli resort in China, biggest ski resort in Asia. China along with Japan would be two markets in Asia after 10 years.

For the Olympic Movement,1988 Seoul Olympic Stadium is not an Olympics legacy. 10 more million dollars deficit every year. It's demolition will be discussed. Because it's getting old, nobody's use. Last year, The Seoul government was reviewed the construction of shopping centers after demolition of the 1988 Olympics main stadium.

For the Dream Program, In Korea, some cities almost snow not comes (Busan, Ulsan, etc) and, there are many deprived youth. Moreover, Korea's winter sport base is very poor. Nevertheless, Korea youth does not participate in Dream Program. Who is the first between Korea youth and foreign youth? This is just a SHOW. For Olympics bid. It is a case of putting the cart before the horse.

BORING. You repeating things over and over won't make it so.

We dealt with all of these points. Some of them are true, others are exaggerations, and others are outright lies. But we dealt with them all, MANY TIMES. I regret even having justified some of your posts with a response.

Ok, I think you're done. Bye now.

by the way... Whistler Blackholm is often considered the largest ski resort in North America, so it's a little fudgy to whine that a resort in Korea isn't as big.  ...funny how it looks if you break down the acreage by single mountain!  YongPyong -4300 acres Whistler -4757 acres Blackholmb -3414 acres

by the way... Whistler Blackholm is often considered the largest ski resort in North America, so it's a little fudgy to whine that a resort in Korea isn't as big.  ...funny how it looks if you break down the acreage by single mountain!  YongPyong -4300 acres Whistler -4757 acres Blackholmb -3414 acres

Exactly. And we've pointed this out about 20 times in the last few months, but he thinks we're so stupid that he has to point it out a 21st time. That's all he ever does: distorts truths and exaggerates.

Archived