Guess the 1st round 2018 votes in Durban!

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, and that's why Japan has already hosted two winter games - I'd be interested in how many ski resorts the country had in the mid 1960s when Sapporo was elected (or even the late 1930s when Sapporo was first chosen to host the 1940 WOGs).

Japan's had a lot longer time, and the advantage of a long time advanced and affluent economy and society, to get to where they are today - but it was also their games that helped start them build up that winter sport infrastructure. Korea truly rivals Japan in terms of development and affluence now, and it's those elements and more exposure through events like the Olympics whose popularity transcends beyond the hard core sports fans, that will help Korea develop the potential for the its winter sports.

Japan have better condition than in Korea, mountains in Japan are higher and there are better snow condition than Korea, it's a reason why they could develop winter sports since the 40'. Korea don't have an important potential and they have waited the 90' to build their ski resort think to snow maker... And moreover in Japan you have real mountains and important mountains area... Korea don't have snow or mountains area and it's very difficult for them to build important ski resorts or have good condition to offer to their customers... There are only Korean customer in korean ski resort. And never they could offer good level...

THey can't develop their potential without real mountains and important ski resort... It's a fact.

When I watch WoG on my TV, I want a spectacular show, with a popular fervor to believe it's an important show and without that the will be bad

Japan have better condition than in Korea, mountains in Japan are higher and there are better snow condition than Korea, it's a reason why they could develop winter sports since the 40'. Korea don't have an important potential and they have waited the 90' to build their ski resort think to snow maker...

So ignorant. Unless you're just arrogant.

Korea built their first resort in the 1970's, and they waited not because they needed a snowmaker, but because they didn't have the money to build and customers to serve. Korea was one of the poorest countries in the world in the 1950's and early 1960's. You can only think about ski resorts once you don't have to worry about FOOD.

Now stop talking and go back to posting pretty pictures of Chamonix. You sound a lot smarter that way.

So ignorant. Unless you're just arrogant.

Korea built their first resort in the 1970's, and they waited not because they needed a snowmaker, but because they didn't have the money to build and customers to serve. Korea was one of the poorest countries in the world in the 1950's and early 1960's. You can only think about ski resorts once you don't have to worry about FOOD.

Now stop talking and go back to posting pretty pictures of Chamonix. You sound a lot smarter that way.

Chamonix is pretty, and PC doesn't... Sorry but I think spectators, Fans prefer go to Alps than Korea...

Gangwon, Y do u still even bother with those 2 buffoons. They don't/won't listen to reason nor logic. I, for one, have given up on those 2 imbeciles. They're a complete waste of time & energy. You can't talk sense into mentally challenged individuals, no matter how hard one tries. So stop wasting your time, cuz more than likely, you're just agitating yourself. And those 2 idiots aren't worth the time of day.

Gangwon, Y do u still even bother with those 2 buffoons. They don't/won't listen to reason nor logic. I, for one, have given up on those 2 imbeciles. They're a complete waste of time & energy. You can't talk sense into mentally challenged individuals, no matter how hard one tries. So stop wasting your time, cuz more than likely, you're just agitating yourself. And those 2 idiots aren't worth the time of day.

You're right, I'm done with these morons.

Japan have better condition than in Korea, mountains in Japan are higher and there are better snow condition than Korea, it's a reason why they could develop winter sports since the 40'. Korea don't have an important potential and they have waited the 90' to build their ski resort think to snow maker...

It is impossible to compare Korea and Japan. Japan's resorts snow conditions are best as Alps. They are the real snow is guaranteed. Japan has nearly 4000m above sea level, Topographic effect does not require an artificial snow. Korea has 1500m above sea level. That is the reason of why Japan development of resort. Korea has 18 resorts and, it is virtually impossible to develop an additional. I think China along with Japan would be two markets in Asia after 10 years.

I understand you don't have arguments and you prefer to be vulgar :rolleyes:

Nobody can't think differently than you on GB, if someone think PC isn't the best bid to 2018 race, you insult this person... Ok I understand you are American and you are limited because you think know the true for each things on the earth... You are pathetic...

I think you don't know the reality of winter industry!

Breaking: Gangwon province development corporation has liabilities 1.3 billion dollars including Alpensia 750 million, due to Alpensia resort construction. Additional government spending must stop. Gangwon will be financial collapse after the Olympics. This is not now horizons, This is a catastrophe.

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/05/08/2011050801286.html

Breaking: Gangwon province development corporation has liabilities 1.3 billion dollars including Alpensia 750 million, due to Alpensia resort construction. Additional government spending must stop. Gangwon will be financial collapse after the Olympics. This is not now horizons, This is a catastrophe.

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/05/08/2011050801286.html

Go for broke!! Party today; who cares about tomorrow??

Uh, is anyone gonna actually use this thread to guess the votes?

Or will it continue to be the battle of lost souls?

I'll try to get this back slightly on topic JawnBC :)

The million dollar question is not if Annecy will win. You wont. The big question is how many sympathy votes you will pull. The French NOC is a big player and considering the defeat of Paris for 92, 08 and 12 there will be a block of votes coming your way. There wont be enough to win outright on the first ballot but they will be big numbers. This round will determine who will win basically. You will see Annecy and another bidding city get a huge first round squeezing out the other realistic winner. The Koreans are floundering and do not have the sympathy vote or a compelling reason to go there.

So my guess - (based on 102 voting members)

Round 1 -

Annecy 34

Munich 46

PC 22

Round 2 -

Annecy 26

Munich 76

I'll try to get this back slightly on topic JawnBC :)

The million dollar question is not if Annecy will win. You wont. The big question is how many sympathy votes you will pull. The French NOC is a big player and considering the defeat of Paris for 92, 08 and 12 there will be a block of votes coming your way. There wont be enough to win outright on the first ballot but they will be big numbers. This round will determine who will win basically. You will see Annecy and another bidding city get a huge first round squeezing out the other realistic winner. The Koreans are floundering and do not have the sympathy vote or a compelling reason to go there.

So my guess - (based on 102 voting members)

Round 1 -

Annecy 34

Munich 46

PC 22

Round 2 -

Annecy 26

Munich 76

So Pyeongchang with their best bid ever gets substantially less votes than in 2007, and 80% of the IOC chooses to go back to Europe on the first ballot? Yeah, I don't see it happening.

So Pyeongchang with their best bid ever gets substantially less votes than in 2007, and 80% of the IOC chooses to go back to Europe on the first ballot? Yeah, I don't see it happening

It is more than just geography. Pyeongchang is not ready, not good for athletes. The Olympics host with debt of 800 million dollar? Alpensia's financial problem solving is more important. Pyeongchang bidding is not for winter sport.

Pyeongchang can't do it. Never. Give up.

So Pyeongchang with their best bid ever gets substantially less votes than in 2007, and 80% of the IOC chooses to go back to Europe on the first ballot? Yeah, I don't see it happening.

I dont see it happening either. But he is right in saying that Annecy will get many sympathy votes, Not because Annecy has the best bid, but because it is a French bid. France is the most popular nation in this race. They will get the majority of the African votes, all Arabian votes and and all Italian, Chinese and Japanese ones. All this will reduce Munich and not PCs chances.

I'll be very surprised if PyeongChang goes out in the first round. What I'm most worried about is Munich going out in the first round, setting up a PyeongChang vs. Annecy vote in the second round. I think there's a decent chance that Annecy would win that vote. I think Munich wins if it's Munich vs. PyeongChang in the second round.

I'll be very surprised if PyeongChang goes out in the first round. What I'm most worried about is Munich going out in the first round, setting up a PyeongChang vs. Annecy vote in the second round. I think there's a decent chance that Annecy would win that vote. I think Munich wins if it's Munich vs. PyeongChang in the second round.

Why would the IOC go back to the same playground it's been on already 3x when there is a new market with a strong, sporting tradition behind them? As for the Munich bid...same thing, that region already had a Summer Games and a Winter Games before...vs. a "virgin" location. The IOC, I think, will go with the promising NEW location. There is a greater legacy to he had there rather than in the tired old haunts of the Alps and Bavaria where Olympic plaques have already been hung. That's what the Olympics are about -- bringing the Games of Peace and Friendship to NEW and various parts of the world -- not to the same old, BORING locations year in and year out.

Archived