Guess the 1st round 2018 votes in Durban!

Good post. Thank you for that. I was not aware that Korea has entered so many disciplines in Vancouver. Particularly compared with Norway and Austria, which are seen as typical winter sport nations. But this time Korea is competing against Germany and not Austria.

Nevertheless I can give you another reason, why PC has a good chance to win this race: It´s the real politics. At the moment Germany is very unpopular here in Europe. The Greeks, the Portuguese and the Irish dont like us, because Merkel was too reluctant to give money to them or because she demands too hard changes to get the German support.

Now the Spaniards dont like us neither, because the German authorities wrongly accused Spanish gherkins to be the reason for Ehec and 13 deaths here in Germany.

The Italians, British, French and Americans dont like Merkel anymore, because we do not participate in the attacks against Libya. Of course I dont know if it has an impact on the vote.

I honestly don't think world politics matters too much within the realm of the IOC.

Took me a minute to figure out what you meant by gherkins and Ehec.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unanimous huh? Maybe they just want to do business with you, so they agree with you.

No because, they aren't my customers or something like this, only people whom know very well winter sports and winter events and Everybody think the same thing... Go to Korea could be a mistake...

Korean market is too small to develop like in other countries, and Korean promises are impossible to realize... You have some ski resorts but these resorts are too small to develop an important market like in Alps or Russia... Moreover geographic possibility are very limited, your hills are too small to have great resort like in Europe or USA... And the lack of snow can't attract international customer because they will prefer to go where there are more good condition and possibility... It's a fact.

And it's a reason why I think lot of people here doesn't know the winter industry and believe than PC could be a good host... If you know theses aspects never Korea could become an interesting market to Winter sports... Only a national market... If some IOC members want sacrifice sports and WoG, will be their problem but I think IOC could lost more than WoG in 2018...

Even if they host, I just don't agree with their lies and hypocrisy, regardless of whether the host. Just don't agree that attempt to buy the Winter Olympics through the lies and slogan. They even had to lie against the IOC members. Anyway, Anyway I'm not sure.

Olympics host is not the important thing. Korea don't have international standards rink and enough practice environment. If Korea really wanted to develop the winter sport, 1.3 billion dollars should have been used for athletes and practice rink rather than Alpensia luxury houses and golf course.

Seoul Olympic Stadium has been discussed by the demolition. It is getting old, can't use anymore. has a problem with their stance compared with 50-year-old Tokyo Yoyogi, 90-year-old Berlin, 40-year-old Munich, etc, etc.

No because, they aren't my customers or something like this, only people whom know very well winter sports and winter events and Everybody think the same thing... Go to Korea could be a mistake...

Korean market is too small to develop like in other countries, and Korean promises are impossible to realize... You have some ski resorts but these resorts are too small to develop an important market like in Alps or Russia... Moreover geographic possibility are very limited, your hills are too small to have great resort like in Europe or USA... And the lack of snow can't attract international customer because they will prefer to go where there are more good condition and possibility... It's a fact.

And it's a reason why I think lot of people here doesn't know the winter industry and believe than PC could be a good host... If you know theses aspects never Korea could become an interesting market to Winter sports... Only a national market... If some IOC members want sacrifice sports and WoG, will be their problem but I think IOC could lost more than WoG in 2018...

I completely disagree. The Asian winter market is not here to cater to those living closer to the Alps or Rockies. Its main purpose is to serve Asian and Pacific countries, and that's exactly what it's going to do. And in South Korea alone, there are 50 million people to cater to. Not everyone has the privilege of living at the foot of Chamonix like you do. The rest of them need to go somewhere closer to home.

The Asian masses will NEVER regularly flock to the Alps, and the Japanese resorts are not enough. I live in Canada but I still never have the chance to visit a quality resort in the Rockies, it's just too far. From where I live, the best I have are the mountains in Quebec 8 hours away, and I'm still grateful. For me, it's either Quebec/Vermont or nothing. Same in Asia, it's either Asia or nothing. People need the easiest access they can get.

Japanese resorts are not enough.

Japan has 600 more ski resort and Hakuba and Zao is most famous resorts in Asia. Harbin Yaburi Resort in China, biggest ski resort in Asia. Korea has 18 resort, Most small scale, Yongpyeong is biggest ski resort in Korea but, 20-times smaller than Whistler.

In Korea, some cities almost snow not comes (Busan, Ulsan, etc) and, there are many deprived youth. Moreover, Korea's winter sport base is very poor. Nevertheless, Korea youth does not participate in Dream Program. Who is the first between Korea youth and foreign youth? This is just a SHOW. For Olympics bid. It is a case of putting the cart before the horse.

Japan has 600 more ski resort and Hakuba and Zao is most famous resorts in Asia. Harbin Yaburi Resort in China, biggest ski resort in Asia. Korea has 18 resort, Most small scale, Yongpyeong is biggest ski resort in Korea but, 20-times smaller than Whistler.

In Korea, some cities almost snow not comes (Busan, Ulsan, etc) and, there are many deprived youth. Moreover, Korea's winter sport base is very poor. Nevertheless, Korea youth does not participate in Dream Program. Who is the first between Korea youth and foreign youth? This is just a SHOW. For Olympics bid. It is a case of putting the cart before the horse.

Get it through your peanut-sized head, Korea is NOT competing with Whistler. Korea isn't competing with anyone. Japan could have 1000 ski resorts, it doesn't matter. Korea needs to develop their ski infrastructure, to serve both Koreans and other Asians. It would be wrong to think all Asians will go to Japan all the time.

You need some lovin' to relieve all that bitterness inside you. Go find yourself a girlfriend or boyfriend.

Japan could have 1000 ski resorts, it doesn't matter. Korea needs to develop their ski infrastructure,

No, Korea can't create the ski resort anymore. The mountain is not enough. Downhill can't create in Korea, Korea have not mountain itself. Pyeongchang Alpesia has just 7-slopes. It is not enough. Japan could have 1000 ski resorts but, currently in operation are 600 more resorts.

No, Korea can't create the ski resort anymore. The mountain is not enough. Downhill can't create in Korea, Korea have not mountain itself. Pyeongchang Alpesia has just 7-slopes. It is not enough. Japan could have 1000 ski resorts but, currently in operation are 600 more resorts.

Then stop worrying about the new development of Jungbong. You should be happy, since Korea could use some development.

You're pathetic.

Then stop worrying about the new development of Jungbong. You should be happy, since Korea could use some development.

You're pathetic.

Yeah, Jungbong is ONLY ONE in Korea but, Junogbong is primeval forest. Under current law, the development is illegal. So, Korea's condition is not good.

Oh, and by the way, Alpensia is used for cross country and biathlon, so the number of slopes is irrelevant. It's not the site of alpine skiing, freestyle or snowboarding.

Oh, and by the way, Alpensia is used for cross country and biathlon, so the number of slopes is irrelevant. It's not the site of alpine skiing, freestyle or snowboarding.

We are talking about capacity.

You said, "to serve both Koreans and other Asians."

But, "so the number of slopes is irrelevant." ?

Oh yeah I forgot, your standard for being a winter nation is biathlon, a sport no one outside Europe cares about. Korea can be many things for winter sports. I can imagine Koreans gaining an interest in and taking up alpine skiing, freestyle, snowboarding, sliding (Koreans like that kind of stuff), curling, and even hockey. For recreation, mostly alpine skiing and snowboarding. But I can't ever imagine Koreans taking up biathlon, a sport which has its roots in Scandinavia, just about the farthest place away from Korea. If the IOC can't handle Korea never becoming a hotbed of biathlon, then they can vote for Munich, because there are just some things that won't be changed. The Winter Olympics are also about celebrating diversity around the world. When Norway or Germany hosts the Games, biathlon will be centre stage. When Canada hosts, it will be hockey. When Korea hosts, maybe skating. If we're going to use biathlon as a standard for winter sports, then we can only look at Europe.

Further, I can't see the Asian masses going to Korea on vacation, only to strap on a gun and start shooting targets as a way of spending their holidays. They'll be coming for downhill recreation and the likes. So if we're keeping visitors in mind, there is no point in focusing on biathlon. It's such a niche sport that anyone interested in biathlon can go to Europe.

I'm not hating on biathlon. But I'm tired of biathlon being used as the standard for winter sports. Biathlon is the reason given by those who say Koreans don't care about winter sports. Biathlon competitions are the ones shown on photos when anti-Pyeongchang posters show the passion of Germans. I never realized that Pyeongchang was bidding for the 2018 Biathlon Olympics.

One last note for you, "nature," before I log off for the night. You've been quick to defend the French and Germans at every opportunity, yet you can't even stand up for Korea when someone calls native Koreans "small-minded" and "peacockish" like some did yesterday on this thread. It's one thing to oppose your own country's bid, but I find it strange you don't even get offended when someone attacks the character of your country. If you hate Korea so much, there's millions of Koreans living in other parts of the world. Maybe it's about time you considered moving too, because life isn't working out for you in Korea.

I don't think Fasel is actually against Pyeongchang. I mentioned before that it would've been hard for him to say no to Canada or Russia in 2010/2014, because they're hockey superpowers. While he still might end up voting for the best hockey country among the 3 current bidders, it's not that hard for him to say no to a German bid. This could be the perfect chance to promote hockey in Asia, and then go to another hockey nation like Switzerland, Sweden or the US in 2022.

They need to go to Asia period. There are countries in Asia who are at their breaking point in ice hockey (mongolia and Korea DPR) and this is needed to boost development there. Then again Asia is experiencing huge growth in hockey.

Anyway, There has been no Winter Games in Germany for 80 years.

Korea HASN'T hosted one since 23 B.C. :rolleyes:

World politics themes are far away from sports politics.

Not according to Julio Grondona of FIFA. He would've given his vote to England 2018 if the UK gave back the Falkland Islands. And you were saying...world politics are far away from sports politics. Hmmmmmmmmmm.... :rolleyes:

I completely disagree. The Asian winter market is not here to cater to those living closer to the Alps or Rockies. Its main purpose is to serve Asian and Pacific countries, and that's exactly what it's going to do. And in South Korea alone, there are 50 million people to cater to. Not everyone has the privilege of living at the foot of Chamonix like you do. The rest of them need to go somewhere closer to home.

The Asian masses will NEVER regularly flock to the Alps, and the Japanese resorts are not enough. I live in Canada but I still never have the chance to visit a quality resort in the Rockies, it's just too far. From where I live, the best I have are the mountains in Quebec 8 hours away, and I'm still grateful. For me, it's either Quebec/Vermont or nothing. Same in Asia, it's either Asia or nothing. People need the easiest access they can get.

Pacific countries go to Japan or New Zealand to practice ski, condition are better, infrastructure so. Japan will stay the reference in Asia because they have better mountains and snow condition. Nobody except Korean will go in Korea to practice winter activities...

About Japan there about 600 ski resorts, In korea only 20, and theses resorts are too small to develop an important market.. it's a fact.

You can't develop an international market with 20 small ski resorts... For example : In less than 1h from my home there are more than 20 ski resorts, and all are more important than the bigger korean ski resort... Ok it's Alps but it's a reason why Alps are an international market.

Korean government said Korea will be an international market but it's a liar...

They can't develop their market like some other countries, it isn't because Korea is unable to build good venues but because the geography of Korea isn't as well than Japan or China in Asia. And without true mountains or good natural snow and with only small ski resort, you can't reach the same level than other countries more develop or with better possibility.

It's some of reason I don't want go to PC to 2018, Korean government promise too much and everybody will disappointed... Comeback on earth Korea can't become like Europe, North america, Russia or Japan...

Pacific countries go to Japan or New Zealand to practice ski, condition are better, infrastructure so. Japan will stay the reference in Asia because they have better mountains and snow condition.

Yeah, and that's why Japan has already hosted two winter games - I'd be interested in how many ski resorts the country had in the mid 1960s when Sapporo was elected (or even the late 1930s when Sapporo was first chosen to host the 1940 WOGs).

Comeback on earth Korea can't become like Europe, North america, Russia or Japan...

Japan's had a lot longer time, and the advantage of a long time advanced and affluent economy and society, to get to where they are today - but it was also their games that helped start them build up that winter sport infrastructure. Korea truly rivals Japan in terms of development and affluence now, and it's those elements and more exposure through events like the Olympics whose popularity transcends beyond the hard core sports fans, that will help Korea develop the potential for the its winter sports.

Nobody denies that France can offer the pick of the crop from a vast array of the best winter sports facilities in the world. As they've done three times already. And to acknowledge a point made by the Baron somewhere amongst these interminable threads, it's precisely why countries like France and Austria and Germany and the USA and Norway and Switzerland and Japan and so on host the lion's share of the various individual World Championships in the winter disciplines (not to mention an overwhelming lion's share of the Winter Games to date). And France and co will continue to regularly attract the bulk of the elite winter championships in years to come. But while sport is at the centre of the Olympics, the Games' stature also comes from how they mean more than just sporting aspects. The IOC is always at pains to tell us, the Olympic Games belong to the world, not just a select few - at least in theory. They've shown time and time, that when they can confidently do so, sharing the Games around is a very important factor in their hosting decisions. Three times the IOC has meticulously examined Korea's ability to stage a Winter games, and three times they have been confident enough in their abilities to let it be a candidate (and twice already come oh so close to awarding it to them).

In my heart, I'm really hoping Munich will do it - it tugs at some strong emotional drawstrings for me. But if PC wins, I'm gonna be very pleased for Korea and personally happy at the choice as well.

Yeah, and that's why Japan has already hosted two winter games - I'd be interested in how many ski resorts the country had in the mid 1960s when Sapporo was elected (or even the late 1930s when Sapporo was first chosen to host the 1940 WOGs).

I think, you are trying to be neutral but, without fact.

The reason for equipped to base for winter sports in Japan, has nothing to do with the Olympics host.

I think, you are trying to be neutral but, without fact.

The reason for equipped to base for winter sports in Japan, has nothing to do with the Olympics host.

I'm not neutral. I'm pro Munich and PC. And I'm very annoyed at the sheer cultural arrogance of yourself and your co-trolls, and your utter lack of understanding of the true meaning of Olympism.

You claim to be Korean. If so you are an utter disgrace to your nationality.

I'm not neutral. I'm pro Munich and PC. And I'm very annoyed at the sheer cultural arrogance of yourself and your co-trolls, and your utter lack of understanding of the true meaning of Olympism.

You claim to be Korean. If so you are an utter disgrace to your nationality.

Well, the lies should be straighten out.

What is the real disgrace ?

Archived