Guess the 1st round 2018 votes in Durban!

And why do Munich and Annecy want to host the Winter Olympics?

Please don't tell me it's for the love of sport, because if I hear that again, I am going to pull my hair out.

It is better to ask to German, Franch members on GB.

But, I think it is the most important that love of sport.

They are enough qualified and, have been waiting 80 years.

I think Winter Olympics in Munich in 2018 will be the best for athletes.

biathlon.jpg

106311985-zuschauer-chiemgau-arena-biathlon-ruhpolding.9.jpg

Biathlon.jpg

ruhpolding_600px_4_biathlon_fans.jpg

ruhpolding_600px_4_biathlon_start.jpg

ruhpolding_600px_4_nordsiche_kombination_mit_fans.jpg

angebot92_29_biathlon_stehendschie_en.jpg

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Munich experience sheds light on sports philosophy

http://www.dailygamecock.com/sports/item/1443-munich-experience-sheds-light-on-sports-philosophy

Business model replaces love for sports

MUNICH — Riding on a bike while holding his surfboard along its side, Georg Rausch is sporting a black wet suit as he heads to enjoy the wave. He casually parks his bike and walks down with his surfboard to meet his friends and fellow surfers, waiting for his turn before leaping on the board and into the water to ride along a single wave in a narrow river channel just below a bridge.

Rausch, 29, is a river surfer. He's been surfing the wave, located in the center of Munich near the Ludwig Maximilian University and the Englischer Garten, for three years.

Onlookers on the bridge and to the sides of the river snap photos and watch in awe as he gracefully glides from one side of the river to the other before wiping out. He floats just a little down the river before pulling himself out of the water so he can get a place in line to do it all over again.

Is Rausch endorsed by Under Armour or Nike? Is he getting paid for being a part of what has become one of Munich's largest tourist attractions?

No. Rausch purely started to surf the wave in the Isar River out of joy.

"I had just moved to Munich, and I'd surfed before — real waves — and so it's just a fun thing around here in Munich," Rausch said. "You can just go for a surf before work or something."

Though surfing the wave is fun for Rausch, he is still very aware of the potential dangers and the risk he takes every time he leaps with his board into the river.

"The problem is that the wave just works because of the rocks behind the wave," Rausch said. "There's, like, four to five lines of rocks."

What's the worst that's ever happened to Rausch while river surfing?

"Seven stitches on the head," he said.

Why has this dangerous hobby attracted crowds of people every afternoon and continuing participants of the sport? Sriderke Schulzet, one of the few females who surf the wave, thinks it has to do with the identity of the city.

"It's in the middle of the city, and Munich is kind of conservative," Schulzet said. "Surfing is not conservative. It's the total opposite, and people don't know it, and they want to see it. It's special."

After spending the first of two weeks in Munich, I was drawn to how much the conservative people in the city embraced the river surfers. However, after I attended the last FC Bayern game of the regular season, I realized that it had everything to do with the passion and love of sport that Bavarians exhibit.

I watched in awe as fans chanted from start to finish in the Allianz Arena, whether their team was losing or not. If someone had made a bad play or gotten a yellow card, it didn't matter; the fan support was unwavering.

Walking through the Englischer Garten, I see a group of teenage boys kicking around a soccer ball. I walk a little further and I can watch a guy try to walk along a tightrope that's been knotted between two trees. Once he's gotten his balance, he tries to play with a soccer ball on the tightrope.

As Munich looks to host the 2018 Winter Olympics, the city is driven by its pure love of sports — not the money or fame that surrounds it. If it wins the bid for 2018, it will be the only city to have hosted both a Winter and Summer Olympics.

With the current controversy in American college sports regarding if athletes should get paid since they generate tremendous revenue from a business standpoint, I can't help but think about the river surfers in Munich.

When did American sports stop being about loving the game and become a business?

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me that they didn't watch professional basketball or football because there's no heart in it and it's just a business, then I'd be a wealthy girl.

Now I'm starting to question if college athletics is headed in the same direction. Are players on any given team playing out of joy, or are they playing because they know it gives them opportunities for fame and fortune?

Part of the reason fans of college baseball rallied behind the South Carolina Gamecocks in their journey for a National Championship was the quirkiness of the team. Whether Scott Wingo was leading an "I bet you won't get crunk" chant or Patrick Sullivan was guarding the spirit stick, it was obvious that the members of that squad were having fun the entire way.

When the human element is removed from sports and it becomes just a business, the surfer loses control of his board and slams into the rocks that caused the wave to begin with.

Sebastian Laxa, who's been surfing in Munich for four years, said it best: "I do it not for the tourists. I do it for me because it's fun."

...you are pathetic saying you are Korean, and then being always so negative about the Korean bid, then posting all your propaganda about the virtues of other bids. You only make the classy PC bid and people more and more attractive compared to your trashy approach. The Koreans I know do not act like this, and would be offended by your behavior and disloyalty.

You are a trashy troll....go away.

...you are pathetic saying you are Korean, and then being always so negative about the Korean bid, then posting all your propaganda about the virtues of other bids. You only make the classy PC bid and people more and more attractive compared to your trashy approach. The Koreans I know do not act like this, and would be offended by your behavior and disloyalty.

Calm down.

You seems to be just like Korea.

PC bid are wrong.

It is not for sport.

S/he/it is NOT a KOREAN...some phony hack of Munich. Is probably a cheap Taiwanese spambot as I have always held all along.

Calm down.

You seems to be just like Korea.

PC bid are wrong.

It is not for sport.

Thanks, I'm proud to be associated with Korea, they have class and drive.

You are just a LIAR here and I believe everyone knows you are a phony so your personal opinions hold little credibility.

You are just a LIAR here and I believe everyone knows you are a phony so your personal opinions hold little credibility.

Well, your one-sided claims.

PC supporter's wishful thinking.

Korean don't support Korea's wrong.

This is a natural.

Apart from it, in terms of the Olympic Movement and athletes.

You are a dishonest LIAR. You have 0 credibility. I like to remind you so yo don't forget that we all know you are a LIAR. Go away.

To be honest, I don't like Korean either, the native Korean are small-minded, peacockery and overconfident. There was a research made by Chinese newspaper(Globel Times) last year showed that the Chinese most dislike country is South Korea.

As for the 2018 bid, I guess PC win because it's the only bid from Asia and that's their most advantage. In Harbin many people feel hurt for didn't be allowed to bid 2018 with the Chinese Sport Committee gave us no propriety excuse. Some said Korean bribed them.

There is no excuse that don't allow this city to bid and waiting 20 years more instand.

Liu Tan, welcome back. But all u do is complain about how Harbin ISN'T in the picture this year. Well yes, it isn't. The main race is between PyeongChang and Munich!! Maybe u can contribute something more positive than all your whining about Harbin not being there???

Take up the issue of Harbin with your gov't. Not here on GB.

Not everybody - but you've been doing your best to raise those numbers.

Forgive me, that was mean. But there's a fine line between stupidity and just blind obstinacy.

Anyway, too early for me to wanna make any real predictions about the vote. But, for wishful thinking sake, I'll make an early guess of:

Annecy - 20 Votes

Munich - 40

PC - 42

My guess is it will be like a 2010 vote, with Annecy as Salzburg and the other two as either one. Why is Fasel against Pyeonchang? doesnt he wont to move hockey into asia?

My guess is it will be like a 2010 vote, with Annecy as Salzburg and the other two as either one. Why is Fasel against Pyeonchang? doesnt he wont to move hockey into asia?

I don't think Fasel is actually against Pyeongchang. I mentioned before that it would've been hard for him to say no to Canada or Russia in 2010/2014, because they're hockey superpowers. While he still might end up voting for the best hockey country among the 3 current bidders, it's not that hard for him to say no to a German bid. This could be the perfect chance to promote hockey in Asia, and then go to another hockey nation like Switzerland, Sweden or the US in 2022.

I don't think Fasel is actually against Pyeongchang. I mentioned before that it would've been hard for him to say no to Canada or Russia in 2010/2014, because they're hockey superpowers. While he still might end up voting for the best hockey country among the 3 current bidders, it's not that hard for him to say no to a German bid. This could be the perfect chance to promote hockey in Asia, and then go to another hockey nation like Switzerland, Sweden or the US in 2022.

Host = Move, I don't agree.

Germany, Sweden, Finland and Russia are winter sports powerhouse without the Winter Olympics. So, needs constant care and attention, investment. But, When I look at the past 15 years and now, I look skeptically. Moerover, old customs don't change overnight. Germany is not a Ice-hockey powerhouse. However, the world's top 10 ~ 12. When Germany was host Ice-hockey WC, total 548,788 people attended. This is their passion for winter sports. In Korea was host 1997 Winter Universiade, 1999 Winter Asian games and 1998 Nagano, Japan. This period was a big chance for South Korea. However, there was no effect. Moreover, Ski jumping park was neglected. This is problems of interest. If Korea really wanted to develop winter sport, 1.3 billion dollars should have been used for young players and practice rink rather than Alpensia luxury houses and golf course.

blah blah blah

Someone above just called native Koreans like yourself small-minded and peacockish in a prior post, yet you don't seem too bothered by that. :unsure:

I am impressed. I can't imagine the native French or the native Germans here sitting quietly if someone said that about them.

You are a LIAR. People hate LIARS in France and Germany too. You have no home......go away.

Nature isn't a liar... In fact he have true about lot of things, but lot of people here doesn't want listen his arguments because they want a victory of PC...

Lot of people here doesn't know very well condition to host great WoG... In fact PC have lot lack but but some people are blind and don't want accept the true about PC bid...

I don't understand this obstinacy...

For me there are 2 possibility, some members are Korean or false member and work for PC bid, or some people here are totally blind or stupid to accept some facts and truth about PC bid.

But I think there is a true on GB, all members doesn't care about Athletes and show...

I work with professionals people about winter industry and everybody is unanimous about 2018 race, Korea won't can a good host to 2018 WoG and some consider a PC victory like a disaster for sport... These people aren't only French, but Swiss, German, Italian or English, Canadian and American...

I work with professionals people about winter industry and everybody is unanimous about 2018 race, Korea won't can a good host to 2018 WoG and some consider a PC victory like a disaster for sport... These people aren't only French, but Swiss, German, Italian or English, Canadian and American...

Unanimous huh? Maybe they just want to do business with you, so they agree with you.

But, When I look at the past 15 years and now, I look skeptically. Moerover, old customs don't change overnight.

In Korea was host 1997 Winter Universiade, 1999 Winter Asian games and 1998 Nagano, Japan. This period was a big chance for South Korea. However, there was no effect.

But winter sports in Korea HAS changed since the 1997 Winter Universiade (which, by the way, has little relevance to the Olympics, but I'll play along since you keep bringing it up):

1994 Winter Olympics:

Korea qualified to participate in alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, figure skating, short track and speed skating (5 sports). They had 21 Olympic athletes.

2010 Winter Olympics:

Korea qualified to participate in alpine skiing, biathlon, bobsled, cross-country skiing, figure skating, freestyle skiing, luge, short track, skeleton, ski jumping, snowboarding and speed skating (12 sports) . This was Korea's first Olympics in bobsledding and snowboarding. They had 46 Olympic athletes.

They only sports they didn't participate in were curling and hockey. You should just admit it, they're developing and they're getting better and better. Whichever way you look at it, their quick development is impressive.

Ski jumping park was virtually neglected after 1997 competition. Now can't use it anymore. And 6 sports, 24 athletes at the 1994. 1~3 athletes just participated in some sports with most skaters at the 2010.

It doesn't matter. Korea still saw a HUGE improvement in the last 15 years. It was still a huge achievement for Korea to participate in bobsledding and snowboarding for the first time, even if they just had a few athletes in those sports. Do you know how hard it is to qualify? Norway only participated in 11 sports in 2010. So what does that tell you when Korea participated in 12 sports?

And stop humiliating skating. Are the skating events less meaningful than the skiing (Nordic or alpine) events? The Norwegians get most of their medals from Nordic events, and only 1 of their 23 medals in 2010 came from skating. The Austrians usually get all their medals in alpine skiing, only 2010 was different. And they haven't won a skating medal since 1994. Lots of winter countries have a special area where they focus on to develop an advantage over others. Why should skating be treated as more "winter" than skating?

Why should skating be treated as more "winter" than skating?

I mean skiing. Why should skiing be treated as more "winter" than skating?

To Tulsa and nature --

What is Olympism?

Modern Olympism was conceived by Pierre de Coubertin. It seems that Coubertin, himself, never tried to define those terms unequivocally. Nevertheless, from Coubertin’s previous discourses and essays, one can find that Coubertin did make a clear statement about Olympism. In a letter on the 22nd November 1918, he writes:

Olympism is not a system; it is a state of mind. The most diverse educational forms may be penetrated by it, and no one race or epoch can claim an exclusive monopoly of it (De Coubertin, 1918: 55).

Has the modern conception of Olympism changed compared with the Coubertin’s original Olympic ideas? Besides the fact that some issues are no longer stressed, such as the notion of amateur rules and more female athletes in the Olympic Games, we see no dramatic changes in Olympism. The spirit of Olympism has generally and commonly been accepted. While in recent decades there have been numerous interpretations and notions of Olympism, they are still greatly based on Coubertin’s thoughts. In addition, the term ‘Olympism’ has been justified and given deeper meaning.

The first words of the Olympic Charter (1994) state simply the nature and goal of Olympism. Fundamental Principal 2 says:

Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combing in a balanced whole the qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism seeks to create a way of life based on the joy found in effort, the educational value of good example and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles (p. 10).

Fundamental Principle 6 says:

The goal of the Olympic Movement is to contribute to building a peaceful and better world by educating youth through sport practiced without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play (p. 11).

The definition of Olympism from the Olympic Charter basically is still deeply rooted in Coubertin’s ideas. Wigmore (1999: 2) identifies the following issues in the above two quotes:

*Tolerance

*Solidarity

*Respect For Others

*Fair play

*Equality

*Non-discrimination

*Taking part

*Friendship

*Character development

For Wigmore, the concept of Olympism will be at a high level of generality. It will find different expressions in time and place, history and geography. That is to say, there will be different conceptions of Olympism, which will interpret the general concept in such a way as to bring it to real life in a particular context.

We can adopt the view of the philosophical anthropology to defend the necessary and permanent status of Olympism for an ideal human being. Jim Parry (1998) thinks that the status Olympism as a social, political, and educational ideology necessarily appeals to a philosophical anthropology which he refers to as—‘an idealized conception of the human being towards which the ideology strives in its attempted social reproduction of the individual (p. 159)’. He suggests that the philosophical anthropology of Olympism promotes the ideals of:

* individual all round harmonious human development;

* towards excellence and achievement;

* through effort in competitive sporting activity;

* under conditions of mutual respect, fairness, justice and equality;

* with a view to creating lasting personal human relationships of friendship;

* international relationships of peace, toleration and understanding;

* and cultural alliances with the arts (Parry, 1998: 160-1).

It is NOT about just staying with the OLD centers of traditional power. That can happen EVERY YEAR with the world championships. You 2 have to train your minds to look at the BIGGER picture. Then you would understand the whole idea of the Olympics.

http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=7535&pst=431043

It doesn't matter. Korea still saw a HUGE improvement in the last 15 years. It was still a huge achievement for Korea to participate in bobsledding and snowboarding for the first time, even if they just had a few athletes in those sports. Do you know how hard it is to qualify? Norway only participated in 11 sports in 2010. So what does that tell you when Korea participated in 12 sports?

And stop humiliating skating. Are the skating events less meaningful than the skiing (Nordic or alpine) events? The Norwegians get most of their medals from Nordic events, and only 1 of their 23 medals in 2010 came from skating. The Austrians usually get all their medals in alpine skiing, only 2010 was different. And they haven't won a skating medal since 1994. Lots of winter countries have a special area where they focus on to develop an advantage over others. Why should skating be treated as more "winter" than skating?

I mean skiing. Why should skiing be treated as more "winter" than skating?

Good post. Thank you for that. I was not aware that Korea has entered so many disciplines in Vancouver. Particularly compared with Norway and Austria, which are seen as typical winter sport nations. But this time Korea is competing against Germany and not Austria.

Nevertheless I can give you another reason, why PC has a good chance to win this race: It´s the real politics. At the moment Germany is very unpopular here in Europe. The Greeks, the Portuguese and the Irish dont like us, because Merkel was too reluctant to give money to them or because she demands too hard changes to get the German support.

Now the Spaniards dont like us neither, because the German authorities wrongly accused Spanish gherkins to be the reason for Ehec and 13 deaths here in Germany.

The Italians, British, French and Americans dont like Merkel anymore, because we do not participate in the attacks against Libya. Of course I dont know if it has an impact on the vote.

Archived