Guess the 1st round 2018 votes in Durban!

I think PC will win, and how exciting to share the games with a nation who's citizens want it the most. They will go above and beyond to deliver everything promised and more.

How boring to go to France, or Germany.....same old thing. I'd rather go to a new place and see new things and meet new people and expand Winter sports.

Primitive forest be dammed!:lol: ....don't pretend any of these games are really green, that's such a farce and a marketing tool, and anyone who believes it is a tool.

Yeah, PC supports support PC, it is natural.

But, Athletes race without spectators will be more boring.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Korea will be nuts for the games, and Asia will show up too, I hear a few people live there now!

The Korean people support PC far beyond the support either European bid is getting, and that enthusiasm is impressive.

I just bet there may be a few European attendees to fill seats as well, luckily they won't try to get seats to any skating events since they will be impossible to find. ;)

Open the world to Winter sports, no more "old world" attitudes!

Yeah, PC supports support PC, it is natural.

...you are Korean?? .....can you recommend some great "insider" things to see in Korea for visitors? I will be in Seoul this summer for a few days.

Korea will be nuts for the games, and Asia will show up too, I hear a few people live there now!

The Korean people support PC far beyond the support either European bid is getting, and that enthusiasm is impressive.

I just bet there may be a few European attendees to fill seats as well, luckily they won't try to get seats to any skating events since they will be impossible to find. ;)

Open the world to Winter sports, no more "old world" attitudes!

Always conventional slogans. The Korean people support Nationalism, not for winter sport. Everyone knows. I don't feel that "old world", a passion for winter sports will forever and, currently underway. Moreover, Germany could not hold the 80 years. "Open" that can't be guaranteed, only one line of history.

Thanks for getting that together - wow! That's really impressive for Korea in just 20 years. They really DO deserve to host! They could teach a lot of other nations how to build their prowess (rather than live on with memories and fading reputation).

And he missed a key statistic to South Korea's medal haul: as of 1992, they had exactly ZERO WOG medals in ANY sport. To their credit, they have gone from "thanks for showing up" to doing quite well with a lot of future potential.

I too think PC is going to take this, but I do have my misgivings about attendance. Short track and long track speed skating should do gangbusters business, but given Korea has yet to establish a real presence in the other sports yet, I am less certain about a desire to buy tickets.

Hey, the Olympics survived the tumbleweeds of Athens, PC should be fine. Besides, it is not like Munich is going to evaporate off the face of the planet between now and 2022.

South Korea get the medals at the WOG

This is not related to the development of winter sports.

Short track is a special case. I don't know why.

1988 Short track was demonstration sport

1992 Short track 3, Speed 1

1994 Short track 6

1998 Short track 6

2002 Short track 4

2006 Short track 10, Speed 1

2010 Short track 8, Speed 5, Figure 1

South Korea get the medals at the WOG

This is not related to the development of winter sports.

Short track is a special case. I don't know why.

1988 Short track was demonstration sport

1992 Short track 3, Speed 1

1994 Short track 6

1998 Short track 6

2002 Short track 4

2006 Short track 10, Speed 1

2010 Short track 8, Speed 5, Figure 1

It's still an Olympic sport, though. And medals are medals, whatever the sport.

It's still an Olympic sport, though. And medals are medals, whatever the sport.

Short track is not the only one in the Winter Olympics.

And, We cannot be denied that small proportion of the short track.

When 2009 biathlon, snowboard World Championships, there was little crowd.

2018 seems to be different ? Well, I do not agree.

If you think the players and winter sports, You should choose Munich Pyeongchang is not yet.

Short track is not the only one in the Winter Olympics.

And, We cannot be denied that small proportion of the short track.

When 2009 biathlon, snowboard World Championships, there was little crowd.

2018 seems to be different ? Well, I do not agree.

If you think the players and winter sports, You should choose Munich Pyeongchang is not yet.

It's the frickin' Olympics. You could stage a Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament at the games and they'd draw a crowd!

It's the frickin' Olympics. You could stage a Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament at the games and they'd draw a crowd!

Ahhh, but they wouldn't be true fans. They'd only buy tickets and fill the seats because of the Olympic atmosphere, and not because they're passionate about winter sports. We must have spectators that come for the love of sport, not for the love of Korea. There must be none of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDn28RwwfhQ

Ahhh, but they wouldn't be true fans. They'd only buy tickets and fill the seats because of the Olympic atmosphere, and not because they're passionate about winter sports. We must have spectators that come for the love of sport, not for the love of Korea. There must be none of this:

Nationalism at the games! Heaven forbid!

:o

Then I'm worried that there won't be any passionate crowds for short track in Annecy/Munich. They should wait until 2026 or 2034, so they can develop their interest in short track, and then bid again.

Wrong

In France lot of people like short track, moreover since 2 years French become strong in this sport. This winter 2 French Athletes are become World champion... 2 medals...

Until to 2010 there were only 3 countries whom practice short track (China, Korea, USA) it's easy with few countries to win some medals, but now more and more countries arrive in the race. The korean domination is over... Without short track, you will comeback in the top 20...

When we could see Korean in Alpin ski? Freestyle ski? Biathlon? Ski Jumping...? Korea are develop winter sport in only 2 sports (Short track and Speed skating) about artistic is an exception.

Wrong

In France lot of people like short track, moreover since 2 years French become strong in this sport. This winter 2 French Athletes are become World champion... 2 medals...

Until to 2010 there were only 3 countries whom practice short track (China, Korea, USA) it's easy with few countries to win some medals, but now more and more countries arrive in the race. The korean domination is over... Without short track, you will comeback in the top 20...

When we could see Korean in Alpin ski? Freestyle ski? Biathlon? Ski Jumping...? Korea are develop winter sport in only 2 sports (Short track and Speed skating) about artistic is an exception.

Mon Dieu. I was JOKING!

Look what I wrote. Now replace "short track" with biathlon and "Annecy/Munich" with Pyeongchang. This is what we've been hearing from you and nature all year. I can't believe I had to spell it out for you.

Mon Dieu. I was JOKING!

Look what I wrote. Now replace "short track" with biathlon and "Annecy/Munich" with Pyeongchang. This is what we've been hearing from you and nature all year. I can't believe I had to spell it out for you.

In his defense, Mr. T isn't that conversant with the nuances of English to have picked up your doble entendres. That's why I NEVER attempt that with him.

In his defense, Mr. T isn't that conversant with the nuances of English to have picked up your doble entendres. That's why I NEVER attempt that with him.

That's true. I originally wrote that for nature, who understands English perfectly well. :P

So yeah, sorry Tulsa. Not your fault. ;)

Mon Dieu. I was JOKING!

Well, Germnay get the 358 medals at the Winter Olympics.

There is no stronger nation than German.

Nonetheless, during 80 years did not host.

France also has a world-class resort. With a long tradition.

Importantly, the passion and interest in winter sports.

Korea does not have the passion and interest.

This is not related to a medal.

I don't know why Pyeongchang want to host Winter Olympics.

Winter sports development? It's not.

I don't know why Pyeongchang want to host Winter Olympics.

Winter sports development? It's not.

And why do Munich and Annecy want to host the Winter Olympics?

Please don't tell me it's for the love of sport, because if I hear that again, I am going to pull my hair out.

Mon Dieu. I was JOKING!

Gangwon, you are not fair: Yes Biathlon ist very popluar in Germany and I personally think it is a bit overrated, but the people want to see it. But there is a good turn out at Ski Jumping events, Nordic Combiend, Alpine Skiing and the slideing events too.

You are right in pointing out, that Short Track isnt very popluar here in Germany. So is Curling. The proposed venue for the Curing competitions has more seats than the German Curling federation has members. Even Munich relies in some sports on visitors and tourists.

But the majority of winter sport fans are Europeans. A few Norweigians and Dutch would surly travel to Korea to support their athletes, but Munich would be much easier to reach.

And why do Munich and Annecy want to host the Winter Olympics?

Please don't tell me it's for the love of sport, because if I hear that again, I am going to pull my hair out.

Annecy is a natural host to WoG... We have mountains, authentic atmosphere, popular fervor about winter sport, we have some of the most famous ski resort and we organize each winter some of the most important winter event... Moreover France is the first touristic winter market in the world with USA... France it's a logical choice, you can't contest that...

Korea is very very far from the level of France about winter activities and industries... France is a giant compare to Korea, and I think it's logical to go to WoG in country where you can have a great event.

Gangwon, you are not fair: Yes Biathlon ist very popluar in Germany and I personally think it is a bit overrated, but the people want to see it. But there is a good turn out at Ski Jumping events, Nordic Combiend, Alpine Skiing and the slideing events too.

You are right in pointing out, that Short Track isnt very popluar here in Germany. So is Curling. The proposed venue for the Curing competitions has more seats than the German Curling federation has members. Even Munich relies in some sports on visitors and tourists.

But the majority of winter sport fans are Europeans. A few Norweigians and Dutch would surly travel to Korea to support their athletes, but Munich would be much easier to reach.

I agree with you Goethe. A Munich Games will have great crowds at the venues. My original point was to poke fun at nature's post. My sarcasm was really just intended at nature.

I forget that this is an international board, and some posters might not understand my jokes. I will keep that in mind in the future.

Annecy is a natural host to WoG... We have mountains, authentic atmosphere, popular fervor about winter sport, we have some of the most famous ski resort and we organize each winter some of the most important winter event... Moreover France is the first touristic winter market in the world with USA... France it's a logical choice, you can't contest that...

Korea is very very far from the level of France about winter activities and industries... France is a giant compare to Korea, and I think it's logical to go to WoG in country where you can have a great event.

Again, I agree with you that France is a great place to host the Winter Games. That's why the IOC has repeatedly chosen the French Alps. My post was intended at nature, who said he didn't know why Pyeongchang wanted to host. I thought maybe he might know why Annecy/Munich wanted to host, but as usual he ignores all my questions.

Archived