Guess the 1st round 2018 votes in Durban!

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Annecy won't have vote, even French IOC members doesn't vote for Annecy... :rolleyes:

You got that right, for once, actually. IOC members from countries bidding are banned from voting until their bid drops out (don't worry, the Koreans and Germans won't be voting either).

• 2 weeks later...

OK, another reason 2018 will UNLIKELY go to Munich or Annency. The 1st Winter YOGs are being held in Europe next year, Innsbruck again...as is possibly the 2016 Winter YOGs (Lillehammer?).

So if 2018 were to go to Munich/Annecy, that would mean FOUR successive Winter Olympics in a span of 6 years would go to Europe (Innsbruck 2012, Sochi 2014, Lillehammer 2014, Munich/Annency 2018)? NOT LIKELY TO happen.

I think Tulsa's right here. The YOGs are barely a dot on the landscape at the moment. The Summer Olympic cycle, particularly with an eye to the future, is more of a worry for Annecy (and Munich). If Europe feels like they can get 2020, trying to get 2018 to Asia makes sense.

But Sochi is definitely Europe as far as the IOC are concerned. So that argument doesn't fly.

I think Tulsa's right here. The YOGs are barely a dot on the landscape at the moment. The Summer Olympic cycle, particularly with an eye to the future, is more of a worry for Annecy (and Munich). If Europe feels like they can get 2020, trying to get 2018 to Asia makes sense.

But Sochi is definitely Europe as far as the IOC are concerned. So that argument doesn't fly.

Right, the huge danger for Annecy & Munich is coming from Roma 2020 !!!

But regarding Sochi, I'm pretty sure for most of the IOC members it is not in Europe in their mind... when you have for example a travel time between 8h to 12h (at best) to link Geneva to Sochi ............ above 5h flight (for a Europe to Europe flight with connexion) you did not feel anymore in Europe :unsure:

Every body doesn't care about Innsbruck 2012 or Lillehammer 2016... And SOtchi isn't in really in Europe, it's in the border with Asia... :rolleyes:

Maybe YOU DON'T CARE...but in the IOC members' eyes and consciousness, of course there is that list that they have to go through. OK, what is the next voting on the list?? Didn't we just vote for that? Well, where's the next adult/junior one going to be? Of course, it will have an impact. Not to outsiders, but certainly to the insiders...especially if they are doing their duties judiciously.

But regarding Sochi, I'm pretty sure for most of the IOC members it is not in Europe in their mind... when you have for example a travel time between 8h to 12h (at best) to link Geneva to Sochi ............ above 5h flight (for a Europe to Europe flight with connexion) you did not feel anymore in Europe :unsure:

Are these the same IOC members that consider Rio and Toronto/Chicago to be the same continent that they wouldn't even consider the US or Canada for 2020? And are these the same IOC members that would never vote for Tokyo and Dubai back to back because they're both in Asia?

You're fooling yourself if you think Sochi isn't Europe. Funny how in 2007 (during the 2014 race) everyone thought Sochi was in Europe.

Maybe YOU DON'T CARE...but in the IOC members' eyes and consciousness, of course there is that list that they have to go through. OK, what is the next voting on the list?? Didn't we just vote for that? Well, where's the next adult/junior one going to be? Of course, it will have an impact. Not to outsiders, but certainly to the insiders...especially if they are doing their duties judiciously.

To 2016, Lillehammer was the only bid... The young games aren't very interesting, the best champion are already with adult... and lot events are more interesting than YOG... THis games don't have incidence on WoG vote.

And for an European Sotchi isn't in Europe but in Eurasia... In the middle

Sotchi is a new frontier in new area and a new market :)

To 2016, Lillehammer was the only bid... The young games aren't very interesting, the best champion are already with adult... and lot events are more interesting than YOG... THis games don't have incidence on WoG vote.

Yes, Sochi is in Eurasia but so is Annecy, Munich and Pyeongchang. If Eurasia spans Portugal to Korea and everywhere in between, maybe we should go back to the US or Canada for 2018 if we want a different continent. I wouldn't mind that. B)

Hey, if the IOC wants to go Europe twice in a row, that's up to them. But let's call a spade a spade. Sochi is in Europe, we can't pretend it's Asian just so we can feel good about ourselves by picking Annecy or Munich and saying that it still follows continental rotation.

I agree with you about the YOG though.. doesn't really matter for 2018.

Too many Russians say "We are Europe and slso Asia"

Geographically Russia is Eurasia.

2014-2016 New area and a New market.

Once again a new market?

It is unfortunate. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Annecy - 6 Votes

Munich - 40

PC - 56

Assuming 102 voting IOC members is correct? Regardless, PC on the first ballot.

Annecy - 6 Votes

Munich - 40

PC - 56

Assuming 102 voting IOC members is correct? Regardless, PC on the first ballot.

Annecy is very strong now :)

Annecy - 35

Munich - 32

Pyeongchang - 35

second step

Annecy - 54

Pyeongchang - 48

It's going to go to 2 ballots. PC and Munich are close to each other and Annecy isn't far enough behind to allow either of them to claim an outright majority.

Finally, some reasons for hopping on this forum. Annecy's bid is improving.

JC Killy is finally there...and fully supporting the bid.

(I think he was a bit upset for not having been heard on the first project but he's now in line with the new compact concept)

This is mainly a 2-horse race. PyeongChang AND Munich would both have to shoot themselves in the foot the night before the vote in order for Annecy to 'claim' anything. Annecy is like the Madrid in this race. Totally capable but the geopolitics are clearly not behind it this time around.

If the report is indicative of anything (considering since one of our more astute Annecy supporters here thinks that the French Alpine town got "tackled" in the report), it's PyeongChang's to lose, with Munich in a good 2nd place position. While Annecy gets a; "better luck next time. Start planning your 2022 strategy".

Annecy can creat a big surprise, in Europe Annecy seems have mor favor than Munich...

Wait and See, Annecy bid is more original and sexy than the other bid

Fair enough, Tulsa. It's your home town. I understand and have come to admire your stubborn optimism. Bonne chance!

This is mainly a 2-horse race. PyeongChang AND Munich would both have to shoot themselves in the foot the night before the vote in order for Annecy to 'claim' anything. Annecy is like the Madrid in this race. Totally capable but the geopolitics are clearly not behind it this time around.

If the report is indicative of anything (considering since one of our more astute Annecy supporters here thinks that the French Alpine town got "tackled" in the report), it's PyeongChang's to lose, with Munich in a good 2nd place position. While Annecy gets a; "better luck next time. Start planning your 2022 strategy".

Totally agree. I was saying that Annecy will siphon off just enough votes to make it impossible for PC (or Munich, if they surprise) to get a majority on the first ballot.

Totally agree. I was saying that Annecy will siphon off just enough votes to make it impossible for PC (or Munich, if they surprise) to get a majority on the first ballot.

I understand, but it's improving...

It's the opposite of last Paris's bid who was the favorite and slowly went down.

Archived