Fewer bids for the 2020 Olympics?

stryker

I totally agree. Plus, I just don't see Istanbul on the heels of Rio. While some could say that Turkey could be an economic power by 2020, the 2020 vote is only just over 2 years away, & still 3 years before we can see how Rio turns out. Still too early for the IOC to be comfortable enough with having to back-to-back 'new frontier' hosts.

And while some argue that Istanbul really "isn't" a new frontier, it's still a new frontier in the sense that it's a region that's never hosted the Olympics before. It's primarily a Muslim country. Turkey is still a developing country, regardless if it's progressing in that area at the moment. So in essense, Istanbul is still new frontier territory & I just don't see the IOC plunging into the sea of uncertainty so soon, when they still haven't seen the results of their current huge gamble of Rio.

Istanbul is 700kms from Athens. Geographically (isn't most of Istanbul is on the European side?) it isn't really a new area. Sochi is further east than Istanbul from the major Euro centres.

As for being a developing country - so was South Korea at the time. Arguably so was China and even Spain back in 1992.

As for the Muslim card. The Muslim card didn't help Cairo for 2008 or Doha for 2016 when in all fairness it should have. The IOC also know that if they want to stage the first Islamic Games they will have Dubai/Doha/Morocco etc to pick from in the near future.

And emre - maybe a temprary stadium for 2020 would be an option however the Ataturk Olympic Stadium is in my opinion a stunning piece of architecture. I think transport links need to be improved and you need more of a community out that way.

By the way Barcelona only bidded for 1924 and 1936 before winning the 1992 vote. Very much not the same thing. Rio did bid for 1936, 2004 and 2012 but frankly I still believe they should have been out of the 2016 race or at the very least Doha (who scored higher) should have been in the final vote. Rio benefitted from a huge IOC push to take the Games to a new frontier. That has now been done. I doubt there will be a similar push for Turkey when Rome, Tokyo etc are bidding.

Again - Istanbul needs a new argument.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And emre - maybe a temprary stadium for 2020 would be an option however the Ataturk Olympic Stadium is in my opinion a stunning piece of architecture. I think transport links need to be improved and you need more of a community out that way.

yeah i like the ataturk stadium design too much. wide open fresh and stunning. transportation wont be a problem after metro lines and new highway connections built in a few years.

Archived