Fewer bids for the 2020 Olympics?

stryker

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So even the mere discussion of a possible Paris 2020 bid by French officials, is likely to thwart off votes that Annecy can't afford in the first place. Considering they'll most likely won't be able to garner much more than a dozen votes or so.

The feasibiity consultations for a possible Paris 2020 has already started. Stay tuned.

I am not surprised at all. Annecy always felt like an experiment of some kind to me. It never seemed like a totally serious bid. Look out for Paree....

The feasibiity consultations for a possible Paris 2020 has already started. Stay tuned.

I would love to see those studies :blink:

That's just gossips !!!

By the way, I know from a good source that the South African NOC decided to postpone any discussion for the Games ! They will support a Marocco's bid ;)

I would love to see those studies :blink:

That's just gossips !!!

By the way, I know from a good source that the South African NOC decided to postpone any discussion for the Games ! They will support a Marocco's bid ;)

u have to give this news slowly to Baron... it may effect him badly. last time he was counting the revolving rest.s in olympic cities and candidates nad announce durban winner of 2020 with this:d

If Paris does decide to throw in it's hat in the ring for 2020, that changes the dynamics in every aspect & I could easily see them as a serious contender for any South African bid (or anybody else, for that matter). As long as their plan is a good one like their 2012 bid was.

I don't think Paris is going to rush in for 2020. If anything, the Annency run is Paris' way of gauging its possible chances for 2024...especially among the newer IOC members who are not beholden to older special interests or blocs. And I would expect Paris to start horsetrading for 2024 even now...both with the declared 2020 candidates and the 2022 wannabees.

Thing is, that's not gonna stop any other Euro candidates from making a hard strive for 2020, like Rome, for example. N what about Munich 2022 (or some other Euro winter wannabe, if Munich don't get 2018).

I don't think Paris (if they're serious about wanting to host the Olympics again, & sooner rather than later), can afford to play the "let's just stick it out 'til 2024 N try to thwart any Euro cities from getting 2020 N 2022"). You got to pick ur pickin's while the picken is ripe.

Paris...2020...2024...true or false?

Finally, that' really good for Annecy. I think many countries fear a Paris bid. What can they do to avoid it?

...Vote for Annecy!

Annecy certainly had the best technical file.

And there are now good political reasons to vote for Annecy.

Finally, that' really good for Annecy. I think many countries fear a Paris bid. What can they do to avoid it?

...Vote for Annecy!

This is plausible.

But at the same time, what about the members who are from countries that would have no vested interest in going after any Olympic Games. And who would say to themselves; "hmmmmmm, do I want another Winter Olympic Games in the French Alps yet again so soon. Or do I want a possible Olympics 'in the City of Lights' that's LONG overdue."

I'm sure many of those would go for the latter choice.

Anyway this is the rather short potential list of euro candidates for SOG in the medium term (next 40 years)

Likely hosts

Paris

Berlin

Rome

Madrid

Milan

Moscow

Saint Petersburg

Warsaw

Stockholm (borderline)

Amsterdam (borderline)

Unlikely hosts, but possible bidders

Lisbon

Copenhagen

any medium-sized German city (Kohln, Frankfurt, Hamburg etc)

Budapest

Prague

Bucarest

Bruxelles

Likely hosts which have hosted too recently to bid again anytime soon on SOG

Barcelona

London

Athens

Munich

i think it will be a hard fight between 3 european citys: Rome, Istanbul and my favourite Madrid...After a new border in 2016, the Games will come to Europe again...i don´t believe that the IOC works like FIFA. Durban, Doha, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur...hummm i don´t think so...

Thing is, that's not gonna stop any other Euro candidates from making a hard strive for 2020, like Rome, for example. N what about Munich 2022 (or some other Euro winter wannabe, if Munich don't get 2018).

I don't think Paris (if they're serious about wanting to host the Olympics again, & sooner rather than later), can afford to play the "let's just stick it out 'til 2024 N try to thwart any Euro cities from getting 2020 N 2022"). You got to pick ur pickin's while the picken is ripe.

Spot on - no-one else in Europe is gonna put their plans on hold to clear the way for Paris in 2024. And if Paris/France wants to hold a games in the 2020s, it can't afford to sit out a bid round in the hope that other results might fall its way and make a later bid easier.

I'm actually starting to get to the point where I'd be surprised if Paris doesn't announce a 2020 bid once the Durban session dust has settled.

Paris...2020...2024...true or false?

...Vote for Annecy!

Annecy certainly had the best technical file.

And there are now good political reasons to vote for Annecy.

Yes, I agree, that IS one of the more ploausible scenarios that could see Annecy surprise. But then again, the same could hold for Munich - I'm sure a lot of European summer games aspirants would also love for Berlin not to be in the calculations for a posibble summer hosting anytime soon.

Yes, I agree, that IS one of the more ploausible scenarios that could see Annecy surprise. But then again, the same could hold for Munich - I'm sure a lot of European summer games aspirants would also love for Berlin not to be in the calculations for a posibble summer hosting anytime soon.

But Paris is much more scaring than Berlin, I think. And it seems Germany is now going after the Winter Games, so even if Munich doesn't get 2018, the following German bid would probably be Munich 2022, not Berlin 2020. On the other hand, if Annecy doesn't get 2018, the following French bid is likely to be Paris 2020 or 2024. So if I had to vote to avoid future strong contenders for the Summer Olympics, I'd vote for Annecy.

I can see Toronto getting a Games - just not in 2020.

When they get the timing right, they're definitely going to be a strong challenger. But, yeah, like a few have said, 2020 is unlikely to be a good round to throw their hat in.

Plans are underway by The City of Toronto to construct a brand new stadium. Mayor Rob Ford is determined to secure an NFL franchise for the city and rumors are beginning to swirl again about a possible tie in for a 2020 Olympic bid.

STADIUM Proj: 9135077-1

Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON CONTEMPLATED

RL Hearn site, Portlands, M5V

$50,000,000 est

Note: This project is extremely preliminary. The site selection is ongoing. How an architect will be secured is undetermined. Schedules for design, tender and construction have not been set. Further update winter 2011.

Project: proposed construction of a NFL stadium on the site of the abandoned RL Hearn generating plant in the Portlands on Toronto's Waterfront. The project would include demolition of the existing building and reuse of some of the existing foundation.

Development: New

Category: Recreational bldgs

Owner's representative Waterfront Toronto, 20 Bay St Suite 1310, Toronto ON M5J 2N8, Phone: 416-214-1344 Fax: 416-214-4598; Tari Stork

This report Wed Apr 27, 2011.

The $ amount listed above is obviously a conservative amount. It would most likely cost $80-100 million to construct a NFL suitable stadium. Rob Ford is securing private investments for the project.

Let's wait and see if Toronto officially announces intentions to bid again. Isn't the deadline quickly approaching in a few months?

Can't see the IOC going to the Americas' twice in a row. And if Paris does indeed throw it's hat in the ring for 2020, they are going to put a whole new spin on 2020. Not to mention strong bids most likely from Rome, South Africa, Istanbul & possibly Madrid & Tokyo, too. The 2020 Application Deadline is September 1, 2011 for interested NOC to submit their nominees.

Can't see the IOC going to the Americas' twice in a row. And if Paris does indeed throw it's hat in the ring for 2020, they are going to put a whole new spin on 2020. Not to mention strong bids most likely from Rome, South Africa, Istanbul & possibly Madrid & Tokyo, too. The 2020 Application Deadline is September 1, 2011 for interested NOC to submit their nominees.

I think Paris will assess its (AND Rome's) chances after their showing in Durban...which is BOUND to be 3rd place anyway. The best scenario for Paris is to work for Durban against Rome.

Plans are underway by The City of Toronto to construct a brand new stadium. Mayor Rob Ford is determined to secure an NFL franchise for the city and rumors are beginning to swirl again about a possible tie in for a 2020 Olympic bid.

Let's wait and see if Toronto officially announces intentions to bid again. Isn't the deadline quickly approaching in a few months?

Toronto or ANY North American city will NOT follow Rio. Also, Canada just got one Winter Games last year. It'll be 20 years before Canada is due another shot. So count on 2032 or 2036. They'd really show they are amateurs if they made a run for 2020; shows they don't understand how the IOC works.

Believe me or not, but very good and secured source told me that there will be no Paris 2020 bid, as mainly there is absolutely no agreement from the Paris' mayor to go... Delanoe is totaly against ! So exept, if someone find a solution to go without the mayor of a city, i trully doubt we will see Paris 2020 !!!

Believe me or not, but very good and secured source told me that there will be no Paris 2020 bid, as mainly there is absolutely no agreement from the Paris' mayor to go... Delanoe is totaly against ! So exept, if someone find a solution to go without the mayor of a city, i trully doubt we will see Paris 2020 !!!

I can believe this may well be true, but it is unfortunate. It seems to me like there is a good chance 2020 will end up in Europe and if Paris doesn't jump into this race, it could end up waiting until the 40's.

Seriously, that should be taken with a grain of salt.

How can one source of information, from whomever/whatever, dictate what an entire city/country of officials be contemplating otherwise.

Once the 2018 race is over, & if PyeongChang or Munich wins, things will then be much clearer with French officials & the French NOC on what to do next. I'm sure they're smart enough to realize that if they don't want the Olympics in 2020, someone else in Europe will.

Seriously, that should be taken with a grain of salt.

How can one source of information, from whomever/whatever, dictate what an entire city/country of officials be contemplating otherwise.

Once the 2018 race is over, & if PyeongChang or Munich wins, things will then be much clearer with French officials & the French NOC on what to do next. I'm sure they're smart enough to realize that if they don't want the Olympics in 2020, someone else in Europe will.

The mayor of Paris won't want work to Paris 2020, moreover the French government and the mayor of Paris are in desagree about lot of things. The politic aspect is essentiel to have a Paris Bid and to 2020 this point isn't good... And the mayor of Paris have often say he don't wan't try another bid with Paris...

Memorablia have true, nobody in France would like Paris 2020 even if there some supporters...

If Annecy loose 2018 there isn't Paris 2020.

I have a question :

Will have a bid From Berlin or Busan if Munich or PC loose the race to 2018? I have heard the last year the city of Busan will bid if PC loose to 2018 race.

Archived