Fewer bids for the 2020 Olympics?

stryker

I don't think Europe will host 8-10 times in the next 40 years. Between 1960-2012, six European cities hosted, or will host a SOG.

I can see 5 or 6 on your list as "likely hosts" instead of the 10 you listed. The only four that I truly see as likely is Paris, Madrid, Rome and Berlin.

Likely doesn't mean surely

of course of that list only a handful will ACTUALLY host (2-3-4) but they are all potentially winners IMHO in the next 40 years (depending on competition, bid strenght, politics, luck etc)

I don't think 2015 thinks ALL of those are likely to host in the next 40 years; just that those cities have as good chance of hosting as each other.

:) yep

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You forgot the beautiful cities of Gdansk and Vienna!!

As for Paris, unless they can find land to put a new Village fairly close to the Stade de France if they still intend to use that...or plan a brand-new complex in the outskirts of the city, I think their options are rather limited.

You forgot the beautiful cities of Gdansk and Vienna!!

As for Paris, unless they can find land to put a new Village fairly close to the Stade de France if they still intend to use that...or a brand-new complex in the outskirts of the city, I think their options are rather limited.

I can add Vienna to the list of the possible bidders but unlikely winners

I agree about Paris, but it is a city full of resources. If they will want to bid in the future they will find the way

Anyway this is the rather short potential list of euro candidates for SOG in the medium term (next 40 years)

Likely hosts

Paris

Berlin

Rome

Madrid

Milan

Moscow

Saint Petersburg

Warsaw

Stockholm (borderline)

Amsterdam (borderline)

Unlikely hosts, but possible bidders

Lisbon

Copenhagen

any medium-sized German city (Kohln, Frankfurt, Hamburg etc)

Budapest

Prague

Bucarest

Bruxelles

Likely hosts which have hosted too recently to bid again anytime soon on SOG

Barcelona

London

Athens

Munich

with this list u kick İstanbul out of Europe, or dont see she can host or even apply for the games ? :unsure:

Istanbul would surely be a strong consideration. I didn't include it in mine, because I wasn't sure if you would consider Turkey to be a fully European country or not. I guess it is Eurasia.

Istanbul would surely be a strong consideration. I didn't include it in mine, because I wasn't sure if you would consider Turkey to be a fully European country or not. I guess it is Eurasia.

geographically yes eurasian and transcontinental country/ city like russia.

but in international arena and at federations Turkey included in eurozone.

with this list u kick İstanbul out of Europe, or dont see she can host or even apply for the games ? :unsure:

Istanbul is in Europe geographically (at least in part) but yes I do not consider it Europe. Free to think otherwise of course

Istanbul is in Europe geographically (at least in part) but yes I do not consider it Europe. Free to think otherwise of course, anyway I am sure Istanbul will get the games pretty soon

Anyway this is the rather short potential list of euro candidates for SOG in the medium term (next 40 years)

Likely hosts

Paris

Berlin

Rome

Madrid

Milan

Moscow

Saint Petersburg

Warsaw

Stockholm (borderline)

Amsterdam (borderline)

Unlikely hosts, but possible bidders

Lisbon

Copenhagen

any medium-sized German city (Kohln, Frankfurt, Hamburg etc)

Budapest

Prague

Bucarest

Bruxelles

Likely hosts which have hosted too recently to bid again anytime soon on SOG

Barcelona

London

Athens

Munich

Um, so for the next 40 years (11 SOGs), you have 10 LIKELY European hosts. Are you saying you thing nearly EVERY SOG for the next 40 years will be in Europe? Because, that is what your list says. I'd say that nearly every one of your list of "likely" hosts, could probably be re-characterized as "likely bidder, unlikely host".

To the IOC, the whole Turkey is Europe, so Istanbul is also a European city, likely to host soon, IMO.

You know, if 2020's final voting round was Rome vs. Istanbul, I'd sentimentally support Istanbul, although according to my own interests my head would probably support Rome, just to take Italy out of the way for the future :rolleyes:

To the IOC, the whole Turkey is Europe, so Istanbul is also a European city, likely to host soon, IMO.

You know, if 2020's final voting round was Rome vs. Istanbul, I'd sentimentally support Istanbul, although according to my own interests my head would probably support Rome, just to take Italy out of the way for the future :rolleyes:

two twin sister cities with different tastes and fragrances. turkish delight versus tiramisu, turkish coffee against cappucino :)

it will be a hard decision for IOC members if they face a final like this. but i still believe Istanbul has something more than Rome this time.

My feelings regarding 2020, i would prefer a Rome Olympics over a Paris Olympics, Rome is one of my favourite cities to visit, i feel that Durban and Africa will get 2024, and Japan will get 2028,

as for winter games

i would love to see Munich get 2018, but my gut is telling me the PC will get 2018.

Um, so for the next 40 years (11 SOGs), you have 10 LIKELY European hosts. Are you saying you thing nearly EVERY SOG for the next 40 years will be in Europe? Because, that is what your list says. I'd say that nearly every one of your list of "likely" hosts, could probably be re-characterized as "likely bidder, unlikely host".

maybe you could read one page before as I already answered this

I live in France and nobody speaking about Paris 2020... Paris won't bid to 2020

Some reason :

- It's the same mayor than in 2008 and 2012 and he has declared recently "Paris won't bid in 2020" moreover is very opposed with French president Nicolas Sarkozy and they won't work together...

- Paris is already engaged to a very important project to modernize the city... with lot of investment and it won't ready in 2020... I don't think France would like bid with a city in construction...

The situation has changed since the last Paris bid and France isn't ready to comeback with Paris for the moment maybe in 2024 but 2 others French city are interesting to host SoG, Marseille and Nice...

Lot of people here, declared Paris bid in 2020, but sorry for them but Paris won't bid in 2020... Next time maybe...

Tulsa,

I don't know what planet you're living on but Nice or Marseilles haven't got an ice cube's chance in hell of EVER hosting a sog!

Neither have the infrastructures for an international event of such magnitude.

Concerning a future bid, Bertrand Delanoe (Paris mayor) NEVER said that Paris wouldn't bid in 2020.

He simply stated that HE (Delanoe) wouldn't be leading a future bid which is a different story altogether....

Besides, a simple google search came up with this statement from our sports minister Chantal Jouanno

French 2020 Olympic Bid Likely if Annecy Misses Out on 2018

It's clear that no decision whatsoever will be made until 2010 wog has been decided.

Sorry to disappoint you....

Tulsa,

I don't know what planet you're living on but Nice or Marseilles haven't got an ice cube's chance in hell of EVER hosting a sog!

Neither have the infrastructures for an international event of such magnitude.

Concerning a future bid, Bertrand Delanoe (Paris mayor) NEVER said that Paris wouldn't bid in 2020.

He simply stated that HE (Delanoe) wouldn't be leading a future bid which is a different story altogether....

Besides, a simple google search came up with this statement from our sports minister Chantal Jouanno

French 2020 Olympic Bid Likely if Annecy Misses Out on 2018

It's clear that no decision whatsoever will be made until 2010 wog has been decided.

Sorry to disappoint you....

Fake

Only anglo saxon media who speak about PAris 2020, in France nobody speak to Paris 2020, and about Nice and Marseille, I'm agree it's impossible but the mayor of Nice has declared maybe one day Nice will try to host WoG... ANd for MArseille it's the same but, in fact these city couldn't win...

Sorry for you but you don't read the true news....

Only anglo saxon media who speak about PAris 2020, in France nobody speak to Paris 2020..

The old Anglo-Saxon conspiracy strikes again!

You DO know, now you've stumbled upon the truth you must be silenced!

I wonder what the Viking press makes of it? Perhaps they agree with your Gaulish perspective that this truly is a Saxon conspiracy! headgear27.gif

"If we win the Winter Games in 2018, we won't be a candidate. But if we don't win, probably, because it has been too much time that France didn't organize an Olympic Games"

It doesn't take a great leap of faith to hear the word 'Paris' being whispered behind closed doors when you hear quotes like this. I'd find it hard to believe France would bid with any other city for 2020. So no, this isn't an Anglo "idea".

The old Anglo-Saxon conspiracy strikes again!

You DO know, now you've stumbled upon the truth you must be silenced!

Nobody speak about PAris 2020 in France, the french sport minister don't speak about that, the mayor of Paris don't speak about that and nobody, no newspaper have news about that, no French journalist...

But anglo saxon have some news than we don't have in France about Paris? :lol: Seriously it's only fake or false news... but in fact there are nothing about Paris 2020, and even France loose WoG in 2018 there won't bid to 2020...

Each day I read french newspaper and never someone has spoke about Paris 2020... But when I come on gamesbids everybody declare Paris bid to 2020... :lol: Where are your source ? Someone here has seen in French newspaper something about PAris 2020 ?

Chicago 2020 has even been discussed (and ruled out), so to say that Paris 2020 is not even being discussed is a bit naive.

Sure, who knows if they would actually bid for 2020. I personally think they may end up being stronger for a bid for 2024, but I am sure everyone has a wait and see mentality until the 2018 winner is declared.

Paris 2020 is discussed. A bid is far from certain but it is discussed.

Thanks for confirmation. Can you say any more or is it in the very early stages right now?

Archived