Fewer bids for the 2020 Olympics?

stryker

I have a question :

Will have a bid From Berlin or Busan if Munich or PC loose the race to 2018? I have heard the last year the city of Busan will bid if PC loose to 2018 race.

I've heard about Busan, not about Berlin.

I highly doubt there will be a Berlin 2020 bid. If Munich gets 2018, Germany won't bid for 2020. But even if Munich didn't get 2018, I think the German Olympic Committe would bid again with Munich for 2022 instead of trying to get 2020.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, that should be taken with a grain of salt.

How can one source of information, from whomever/whatever, dictate what an entire city/country of officials be contemplating otherwise.

Once the 2018 race is over, & if PyeongChang or Munich wins, things will then be much clearer with French officials & the French NOC on what to do next. I'm sure they're smart enough to realize that if they don't want the Olympics in 2020, someone else in Europe will.

Sure, but if the Mayor of Paris is very much against it, that's quite a hurdle to overcome. Who'd have the appetite or the means to convince him to try again (because he would need to be convinved, going above the Mayor's head or having him onboard as a reluctant passenger is inconceivable)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mayor of Paris, I believe, yields significantly more power and influence over his city than the Mayor of London, and is seen as a very powerful person within French politics in general. If this source is right and Delanoe is against it, that's a significant problem.

Thanks for your info btw memorabilia. I've no reason not to believe you, and it's good to have some insider info to speculate on. B)

Interesting though; we know from Pure Facts a Paris bid is being talked about it. Something has to give somewhere in the next few months.

Exactly. Is that really true, or a statement made through Annecy tinted ski goggles? Words like this make Tulsa's predictions on Paris' future bids hard to take seriously becuase it's impossible to tell how much is truth and how much is wishful thinking. We get shot down when there are suggestions Annecy is polling poorly and we're told told France is very much behind the winter bid, yet apprarently, in the same country nobody supports the capital hosting the Summer Games? Hmmmm....Sorry Tulsa. :mellow:

Memorabilia's info, on the other hand, I'm much more willing to believe to be true, even though it's essentially the same as what Tulsa's been saying.

Sure, but if the Mayor of Paris is very much against it, that's quite a hurdle to overcome. Who'd have the appetite or the means to convince him to try again (because he would need to be convinved, going above the Mayor's head or having him onboard as a reluctant passenger is inconceivable)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mayor of Paris, I believe, yields significantly more power and influence over his city than the Mayor of London, and is seen as a very powerful person within French politics in general. If this source is right and Delanoe is against it, that's a significant problem.

Thanks for your info btw memorabilia. I've no reason not to believe you, and it's good to have some insider info to speculate on. B)

Interesting though; we know from Pure Facts a Paris bid is being talked about it. Something has to give somewhere in the next few months.

Mayor of Paris don't have lot of power in fact... Only administrate his city... But in French Politic Delanoe doesn't someone very important... In the past the mayor was important because in same time he was 1st minister (Jacques Chirac during the 80's) and After Jacques Chirac is became President.

But actually Delanoe isn't very influent and I think, he wont bid for a next mandate like mayor... If you would like to see Bid of Paris you must wit the next Mayor.

Mayor of Paris don't have lot of power in fact... Only administrate his city... But in French Politic Delanoe doesn't someone very important... In the past the mayor was important because in same time he was 1st minister (Jacques Chirac during the 80's) and After Jacques Chirac is became President.

But actually Delanoe isn't very influent and I think, he wont bid for a next mandate like mayor... If you would like to see Bid of Paris you must wit the next Mayor.

The mayor of Paris has more power than any other mayor in France, as he is the Mayor of the City of Paris, but also the president of the Paris' Department (part of the Ile de France's region). For much more thing to deal with than just to run a city.

FYI, here is the administrative structure in France, from local to national :

- City

- Department

- Region

- National state

I think it was Frenchy who mentioned that Delanoe was not necessarily against another Paris bid, but rather that he would not lead another bid if one were to arise. The 2012 bid took a lot out of him, so I could maybe see his reluctance to be totally involved in another attempt.

The Mayor of Chicago, Richard Daley (which ran the city with an iron-fist) was also vehemently against an Olympic bid prior to the 2016 attempt. So his decision to do a complete 360 on what he considered previously to be a "total waste of time, energy & money" was quite a surprise to everyone involved.

So who's to say once the 2018 vote is over, & either PyeongChang or Munich come out victorious & other French officials start to then seriously at least get the contemplation going, who knows what could lie ahead for the City of Lights. Even the most stubborn have been known to change their outlook.

• 3 weeks later...

well, the 2020 Olympics' bidding process officially started today

Bid process opens for Games of the XXXII Olympiad in 2020

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today launched the bid process for the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in 2020. National Olympic Committees (NOCs) have been invited to submit the name of one city within their jurisdiction as an applicant to host the Games in a little under nine years’ time.

The NOCs have until 1 September 2011 to submit the name of an Applicant City, and these cities will then be required to submit their application files and guarantee letters to the IOC by 15 February 2012. The election of the Host City for the 2020 Olympic Games will take place on 7 September 2013 during the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

IOC

According to Around the Rings, on the 24th of May 2011 :

"IOC member Sam Ramsamy tells Around the Rings the South African government may launch an Olympic bid by the end of June."

The on-again-off-again atmosphere surrounding the possibility of a South African bid doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Maybe it's a strategy of some kind, but I'm not sure what they think they're accomplishing. It looks more like disorganization and/or indecision. That may not be the reality, but that's the feeling I'm getting.

I don't think it's ever been an "off again" situation regarding the Sth Africa bid. There's not been any suggestions I've seen that it's considered not bidding. More that a few cities have cried foul that they think Durban was given an easy ride to the nomination.

Anyway, as has been mentioned before, it's still incredibly early. Only one city - Rome - has officially declared, and even they won't have filled in the paperwork for Lausanne yet.

The on-again-off-again atmosphere surrounding the possibility of a South African bid doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Agree with Sir Rols - Durban has been very consistent in bid-preparation, which has been underway for a few years already. It's just that we don't get a daily report on that, all we here hear is "new news", which is really just when someone makes a formal statement.

Agree with Sir Rols - Durban has been very consistent in bid-preparation, which has been underway for a few years already. It's just that we don't get a daily report on that, all we here hear is "new news", which is really just when someone makes a formal statement.

Exactly. We haven't heard much about Rome for a month or so. Doesn't mean that I'm ready to say their heart isn't in it and they're dragging their feet and getting left behind now.

Yes, it is early. I know that the talk has been consistently about Durban and I realize the other cities aren't thrilled with the sketchy selection process. I came across a story a while ago that said Gideon Sam had said something about how South Africa had every intention of bidding for the Olympic Games, but not necessarily in 2020. I can't find the story that I first read, but I did come across this Yahoo article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news;_ylt=A2KJjbyOIt5NjVcAq_RNbK5_?slug=ap-southafricabid

According to this article it sounds like I misunderstood and/or the first story misrepresented Sam's comments. It sounds like what all of you are saying: Durban is laying low, getting ready to play host, not wanting to be seen as stealing the spotlight from the 2018 candidates.

What do you know! I guess I was reading that other story correctly. Wish I could find it now. No SA. With PC the probable winner of 2018 I guess that means 2020 is almost certainly back to Europe. Doesn't seem fair somehow.

Paris has to throw their hat in the ring now. Either that or sit back for a long wait....

Then again, maybe it won't be that long. Europe seems to be getting every other Summer Games and every other Winter Games...

AAAAARRGGH.

Yes, it is early. I know that the talk has been consistently about Durban and I realize the other cities aren't thrilled with the sketchy selection process. I came across a story a while ago that said Gideon Sam had said something about how South Africa had every intention of bidding for the Olympic Games, but not necessarily in 2020. I can't find the story that I first read, but I did come across this Yahoo article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news;_ylt=A2KJjbyOIt5NjVcAq_RNbK5_?slug=ap-southafricabid

According to this article it sounds like I misunderstood and/or the first story misrepresented Sam's comments. It sounds like what all of you are saying: Durban is laying low, getting ready to play host, not wanting to be seen as stealing the spotlight from the 2018 candidates.

After July 10, there are still about 50 days for Pretoria to re-crunch the numbers and still get in on the September 1, 2011 deadline. Who's to say they MIGHT not change their minds? Durban might do a bang-up job of this Session, and...

Wow, what a difference 12 hours can make - just looking back at my comments from last night expressing confidence that Durban's on course! Talk about speaking too soon.

Funnily enough, for the past week or two I'd been starting to think Istanbul could be a dark horse in this race ........

After July 10, there are still about 50 days for Pretoria to re-crunch the numbers and still get in on the September 1, 2011 deadline. Who's to say they MIGHT not change their minds? Durban might do a bang-up job of this Session, and...

Hmmmm. I think that's starting to clutch at straws now. From the reports, it looks pretty firm to me - and the talk is now that the IOC session will set them up for talks with an eye to 2024 now.

Funnily enough, for the past week or two I'd been starting to think Istanbul could be a dark horse in this race ........

How so?

You were always quick to dash South Africa's "new frontier" chances simply due to Rio. I think Istanbul falls into that same category as well.

I don't see it right on the heels of Rio.

How so?

You were always quick to dash South Africa's "new frontier" chances simply due to Rio. I think Istanbul falls into that same category as well.

And somehow, I think the controversial Doha 2022 award somehow impacts an Istanbul bid. How? I can't quite put my finger on it.

And somehow, I think the controversial Doha 2022 award somehow impacts an Istanbul bid. How? I can't quite put my finger on it.

You're probably right. And especially if there's another Middle East 2020 bid, that's likely to split the Muslim/Middle East support.

How so?

Ah, it's just blue sky musing at the moment, as is just about any speculation now. I just thank that Istanbul's one posibility that doesn't get mentioned much here, and I think is possibly underestimated - and I personally don't put it in the same "new frontier risk" category as Rio or South Africa. Who knows - play their cards right and such as "Eurasian" bid could be a good middle path in a Europe versus Asia battle.

But, hey, it's all just pure mental exercising at the moment - I thought that Rome was the favourite before the South African pullout, and even more so now. But I'm not even ready to make a firm prediction for 2018 until the week of the vote, much less have ANY confidence yet in 2020 speculation - a Paris or a Berlin or whatever coming out the woodwork can change everything.

That's the great fun of the next few months to the start of September - so many options and possibilities are still open!

About the only thing I'd rule out now is Doha's chances. The IOC just aint gonna go where FIFA is getting so much grief over now.

Agreed. Doha is blown out of the water.

Then again Rio managed to follow up a World Cup win with an Olympic win...

Uhmmm...one state is smaller than the state of Connecticut w/ about 1.6 million people.

The other is what? the 6th largest country in the world with about 175,000,000 folks and possibly the 10th or 11th largest economy right now.

Apples and anthills as I say.

Uhmmm...one state is smaller than the state of Connecticut w/ about 1.6 million people.

The other is what? the 6th largest country in the world with about 175,000,000 folks and possibly the 10th or 11th largest economy right now.

Apples and anthills as I say.

Actually 5th in population with 190 million and 7th economy in the world, ahead of Russia, Italy and Canada (members of G-8).

Archived