Wimpledon Net Collapses

arwebb

Someone take the straws out of barons hands, he appears to be clutching them too tightly.  :rolleyes:  :laugh:

The sunny, dry weather we've been having, typical of London's climate during the summer months, and the unrivalled atmosphere at the greatest tennis tournament in the world, I think will be registering more in the minds of the IOC delagates, than a falling net on a solitary court.

Heard on the radio this a.m. that during Safin's game, the net collapsed.  This is world-class tennis?   From a city hoping to host the Olympic Games?   Sacre bleu!!  :shocked:

Oh no i can't believe it!   Did the players collapse in shock baron?  Was the match abandoned?  Did the stop the gorgeous sunshine?  Did the world end?  No? oh the net fell down and they put it back up again.  I don't think it will leave any mental scars, then again it obviously affected you.    :rolleyes:

Get over yourself .

OK, maybe I'll ignore comments like that in future or even better just scroll past your posts as I am doing with a certain Mr Gorby.

I won't do that though, as I know most of your posts are intelligent, and we're both London supporters. But please don't get techy with me if I point out that I find one of your posts distasteful.

Three-times Wimbledon champion Boris Becker has given his support to London's bid to host the 2012 Olympics.

The All England Club will host the tennis event if London wins the vote on 6 July, and Becker said this had been key to his backing of the bid.

"This city and particularly Wimbledon is very close to my heart," said Becker at a news conference at the Wimbledon championships on Friday.

"I'm sure this Olympic tennis tournament would be spectacular."

London is vying with Paris, Madrid, New York and Moscow to win the 2012 Games.

Concerns have been expressed about the All England Club's ability to prepare for an Olympic tournament, six weeks after the end of Wimbledon.

But chairman Tim Phillips said: "We have 41 courts and you need only 10 for the Olympic tournament, so we can rotate the courts.

"You can also pre-germinate grass seed so by the time the tournament begins the courts would be in pristine condition and would play well."

Have you heard the news?Some people like Sue Barker want to replace the grass by another surface.

If Wimbledon lost grass,it would be a shame.Even if it the rallies are short on grass I love this surface and Wimbledon,this make the originality of  Wimbledon.

Australian Open contested on grass before they changed for the rebound ace :cry: Now Wimby NEVER!:devil:

http://www.tdg.ch/tghome....6_.html

Have you heard the news?Some people like Sue Barker want to replace the grass by another surface.

If Wimbledon lost grass,it would be a shame.Even if it the rallies are short on grass I love this surface and Wimbledon,this make the originality of  Wimbledon.

Australian Open contested on grass before they changed for the rebound ace :cry: Now Wimby NEVER!:devil:

http://www.tdg.ch/tghome....6_.html

It would be a travesty if they are replaced with concrete, I agree. I don't think Sue Barker necessarily wants it to go as she said “I’m sure the grass will go eventually, because there are fewer tournaments on grass and it is not a popular surface.”

A link written in English, not Gallic

Perhaps there was a need to replace grass 4 years ago because 3 or 4 of the top 16 would either refuse to play wimbledon or would pretend to be injured but times have changed.  Many former players (and champions) on the BBC (both Radio 5 and TV) have agreed that the courts are slower, the ball bounces higher and nearly all top players now think they have a chance and there are far fewer withdrawals.

Trust me, if anyone got anywhere near attempting to replace Wimbledon's famous grass surface with another type - they would be marched through the street's of london, and then hung, drawn and quartered.

Wimbledon without grass is like GorbyGorby without an attitude problem.

It just ain't going to happen.  :wink:

Archived