Korea can't host WoG

Why ?

The new market for Asia isn't in Korea. Some reasons :

Korea don't have enough ski area to become an important destination in Asia. The difficulties is the geography, not enough mountains and to small to develop important ski area. For the moment it's about 20 ski resorts, and only 4 are important but less than European or American standard. Yougpyong the bigger in Asia is very small to compare with Wisthler or St Moritz for exemple. And you can't host lot of tourist with only 20 ski area, only some Korean.

In Asia there is Japan, the reference, lot of ski area with very good snow condition and very famous. More Over there is China, with lot of possibility, the potential is there... And they try to run to 2022 maybe with Harbin.

Snow condition : Japan have great condition, China so, but Korea must have lot of snow maker, without it's impossible to have a good snow. Before 1990 it was impossible to ski in Korea it's only think to snowmaker it becomes possible.

Do you think Japanese go to Korea to practice Winter activity? No, Chinese? No.

Who practice ski in Asia, Where there are mountains and equipment there are lot of people like China (some Region) Japan or in Korea. But after who? Only the richest people and when you are rich and you have the choice you go to Europe or America because it's the reference.

Resume :

Korea isn't an important market, the potential in Asia is in China (New horizon) and Japan

Korea can't develop winter activity like in Europe or America, to small, not enough mountains, only some ski resorts but no enough to create a new market.

China want become this new horizon and they have the potential

Munich 2018 (classic WoG) : Big city (like Vancouver or Turin), the security, the fervor popular, important marketing potential, stadium full but to similar with Turin or Vancouver

PC 2018 ( ????) : New country but lot of risk

Annecy 2018 (Lillehammer spirit WoG) : Authenticity, Mountains city, comeback to original spirit, the security, popular fervor, important marketing potential, Chamonix but France have host 3 times WoG and anarchic bid race...

Not very small city (200 000 habitants, Sotchi 300 000)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, you're slowly opening up!

I'm glad you finally see the positive in opening up to new markets. So now you finally agree that the Games don't always have to be in places with long winter traditions.

Out of the three bidding countries, I'm sure you'll agree that Korea has the opportunity for the biggest potential growth. Yeah, China too, but China's not bidding. Is the IOC supposed to wait around for a Chinese bid that may not come for years? And who's to say the IOC is even ready for another Chinese Olympics so soon after '08?

I've got an idea. Since you say that Annecy's strong point is that it can provide a "Lillehammer spirit" Games, why don't we just pass on Annecy now and wait for Norway to bid for the 2022 Games? If Lillehammer-style Games are so good, let's just wait for the real thing and go to the real Lillehammer. (Oh yeah, Norway might not even bid for a while. See how silly your China argument sounds?)

(Off topic, but it's times like these I really miss talking to rolilau. I always had a soft spot for Salzburg and it helped that rolilau was such a friendly poster. Where did all the courteous opposing posters go?)

Korea have 18 ski resorts and almost very small size.

Yongpyeong lagest resort in Korea but 20 times smaller than Whistler.

Moreover, Korea does not have the high mountains.

Can't make the downhill course.

2018 downhill venues is forest reserve.

From the beginning unreasonable challenge.

WInter Olympics bids just excessive greed of the politicians.

The important thing is not the Winter Olympics host.

Must create an atmosphere that can be enjoyed, more investment, more player development.

We have identified through the 2009 Biathlon World Championships.

It's too fast in 2018.

The first Korea than winter sport strong country Sweden, Finland.

I don't agree.

How long will be relying to slogan the new market or peace on Korean peninsula ?

Ppeace on Koreanpeninsula? Slogan failed. They do not mention anymore for 2018 bid. B)

Nice, you're slowly opening up!

I'm glad you finally see the positive in opening up to new markets. So now you finally agree that the Games don't always have to be in places with long winter traditions.

Out of the three bidding countries, I'm sure you'll agree that Korea has the opportunity for the biggest potential growth. Yeah, China too, but China's not bidding. Is the IOC supposed to wait around for a Chinese bid that may not come for years? And who's to say the IOC is even ready for another Chinese Olympics so soon after '08?

I've got an idea. Since you say that Annecy's strong point is that it can provide a "Lillehammer spirit" Games, why don't we just pass on Annecy now and wait for Norway to bid for the 2022 Games? If Lillehammer-style Games are so good, let's just wait for the real thing and go to the real Lillehammer. (Oh yeah, Norway might not even bid for a while. See how silly your China argument sounds?)

(Off topic, but it's times like these I really miss talking to rolilau. I always had a soft spot for Salzburg and it helped that rolilau was such a friendly poster. Where did all the courteous opposing posters go?)

I've never made any secret of the fact that my personal preference in this race is for Munich, but honestly, if the desperate and increasingly over-the-top rantings by the liks of Tulsa and nature have done anything, it's to make me more and more sympathetic to PC. Yu don't win support by attacking rival bids I guess it just reflects that they can't have that much confidence in their own bids if they have to devote so much of their own energy to trying to try and bring what obviously they also must deep down realise is the strongest contender.

I've never made any secret of the fact that my personal preference in this race is for Munich, but honestly, if the desperate and increasingly over-the-top rantings by the liks of Tulsa and nature have done anything, it's to make me more and more sympathetic to PC. Yu don't win support by attacking rival bids I guess it just reflects that they can't have that much confidence in their own bids if they have to devote so much of their own energy to trying to try and bring what obviously they also must deep down realise is the strongest contender.

What's wrong?

This is reality.

Do not be negative.

And seriously, if the IOC isn't compelled or convinced enough to go with PyeongChang, then they'll go with Munich. I just don't C Annecy whatsoever. Unless they want to give France a "consolation prize" for their so many failed Paris attempts, but that one seems in the minority camp as well.

Well, I guess it just shows that we're in the home-run phase of a bid campaign when the fire and vitriol cranks up so much.

And it also shows which bid is the obvious frontrunner and sen as the biggest threat when one of them is being attacked so consistently and vehemently.

The thing is though, is that it's all *subjective*. Including "pure criticism".

What's "emotional" to some, is "rational" to others. And vice-versa.

The bidding process is not all that cut-&-dry, like many like to assume it is.

And it also shows which bid is the obvious frontrunner and sen as the biggest threat when one of them is being attacked so consistently and vehemently.

I wouldn't go that far. Nothing's a given and no bid should be taken lightly, especially when there's 3 months to go. I like PC's chances (in that I think they have a chance) as well as anyone but I've been let down before in the past so I might as well remain cautious. And if the three bidders are smart, they'll do the same!

I wouldn't go that far. Nothing's a given and no bid should be taken lightly, especially when there's 3 months to go. I like PC's chances (in that I think they have a chance) as well as anyone but I've been let down before in the past so I might as well remain cautious. And if the three bidders are smart, they'll do the same!

Too true, but at this stage I can only really see two possibilities happening - a narrow win by Munich, or a convincing landslide to PC.

Well, I think it will be a narrow win either way, whoever wins.

And I don't think PC is being attacked because of any perceived frontrunner status (threat yes; frontrunner no). It's more likely being attacked because it's easier for Tulsa to attack a Korean bid than it is to attack a German bid which is in so many ways similar to a French bid. To Tulsa, (who wants the Games in a traditional setting and ultimately in France), Munich is everything Annecy is, and then some. Aside from the obvious big city/small town contrast, to attack Munich would be to attack Annecy.

It's easier (and probably more fun) to attack an upcoming newcomer like PyeongChang, which in many ways would be the total opposite of Annecy/Munich. To me though, the things that Tulsa says about PyeongChang are the very reasons why PC would leave a far greater legacy than the other two. And every time Tulsa knocks PC, he highlights exactly just this.

Still, I can't ignore Munich's strengths.

The sky is blue.

Seawater is salty.

Tulsa is just talking about that.

Still, I can't ignore Munich's strengths.

It will be impossible compared between Pyeongchang and Munich.

It is an affront to Munich.

Pyeongchang 3rd challenge.

So, has received intense attention.

It's just it.

PC least excites me, especially after Sochi, but I think they can get the job done, and pull things together.

In the end, I hope Munich or PC wins, and judging by things, one of them will be the victors. I haven't followed this bidding round too much, because honestly it has been really boring to me.

Oh, and being negative on here does you or your bid no favors...

The next 10 years Korea need more held in World championships,

and more player development, to create an atmosphere.

I really hope this.

2018 too early.

Korea is not ready to greet visitors.

I talked to Dream Program and Kim's presented.

It is an impossible story.

1984 Gothenburg

1988 Falun

1992 Falun

1994 Ostersund

1998 Ostersund

2002 Ostersund

2004 Stockholm

1992-2008-2012 Paris

2012-2016 Madrid

Don't feel sorry for Pyeongchang.

World's best winter sport country Germany does not have Winter Olympics in the past 80 years.

More importantly, the tradition and legacy takes precedence over money.

It's the Olympic spirit.

In fact :

Korea don't have enough potential to develop an important winter industry like in Europe or America, why :

Not enough mountains Arena

Not real winter culture and no interest from population

Not one of the best place in Asia

Where is the new market or legacy?

What after WoG? Nothing because China and Japan will keep the leadership about Winter industry in Asia

Except Ice skating, where are there Korea sportsman? Nowhere... They have been 20 years to develop their potential but nobody actually...

Who want this games? Only Korean government.

I ask :

Where is the fervor popular in Korea about WoG? Give me example!

Explain me why Korean is a new market in Asia give me your reason! And how do you hope Korea can develop thir winter industry with a small potential in Asia?

Everybody tell, PC is a new horizon a new market and a strong legacy, but explain me why and how, with real argument and not only korean propaganda argue

Explain me why Korean is a new market in Asia give me your reason! And how do you hope Korea can develop thir winter industry with a small potential in Asia?

Everybody tell, PC is a new horizon a new market and a strong legacy, but explain me why and how, with real argument and not only korean propaganda argue

Yuna Kim. She herself said that she was inspired by Michelle Kwan at the Nagano Games, and had tried to emulate her moves as a 7 year old. In other words, she was inspired by a Chinese-American performing at a Japanese Olympic Games.

Now she's the biggest name in Korea. Not just in sports, but in all of society. She's bigger than the President, bigger than any Korean football player, bigger than the head of Samsung and Hyundai, bigger than any singer or movie star. She's big like Michael Jordan to the Americans, Wayne Gretzky to the Canadians, and Zinedine Zidane to the French.

Yuna couldn't even train on a decent skating rink in Korea as a kid, having to share the ice with the general public. Now everyone wants to take up figure skating. She's done more for Korean winter sports than all of the previous Korean Olympians combined. She put winter sports on the map in her country. I'm not talking 10 years in the future. Her impact is felt NOW.

Would any of this had happened if she didn't witness an Asian skater at an Asian Olympic Games back in 1998 as a 7 year old? Now think of all the 7 year old Chinese girls (not Korean, but Chinese) who got to watch Yuna's performance in Vancouver, and were inspired by the performance of a young lady that might not be Chinese but still looks just like them. Now pretend that the performance happened at home in Asia instead of Canada and tell me that a PyeongChang Olympics won't leave a legacy not only for Korean youth (in a country of 50 million) but also for millions of other Asian youth.

So never mind all the training facilities that the Olympics will leave behind, because we already know about that. And make no mistake, that stuff is important. But here's a concrete example of one single girl who was inspired by another Asian athlete of a different background, at an Asian Games, and channeled that inspiration to change the landscape of Korean sports. So simple, isn't it? All it took was one girl.

In fact :

Korea don't have enough potential to develop an important winter industry like in Europe or America, why :

Not enough mountains Arena

Not real winter culture and no interest from population

Not one of the best place in Asia

Where is the new market or legacy?

What after WoG? Nothing because China and Japan will keep the leadership about Winter industry in Asia

Except Ice skating, where are there Korea sportsman? Nowhere... They have been 20 years to develop their potential but nobody actually...

Who want this games? Only Korean government.

I ask :

Where is the fervor popular in Korea about WoG? Give me example!

You sound like Glen Beck. You make all these claims "Fact: Korea isn't one of the best place in Asia" then you put it on everyone else to prove you wrong. You claim that only the government wants the games, then you ask others for an example of public support? Why don't you *first* prove your claim that this only supported by the government?

I honestly don't care if you're right or wrong with your claims, I just care about the way you're making your statements.

Don't mention her please.

Don't touch her​​.

Pyeongchang bid committee was forced to lie to her on the Sport Accord last week.

An appropriate example was provided per a request to demonstrate developing winter sport in Korea, and you immediately throw it out. Why? Because she's *too* big of a star?

Don't mention her please.

Don't touch her​​.

Pyeongchang bid committee was forced to lie to her on the Sport Accord last week.

Just stop talking. You're not even Korean. If you want to post here, post under your real identity.

Your vocab is amazing but your grammar sucks and is inconsistent when your posts are compared alongside each other, and it doesn't follow the pattern of how a native Korean would write in English. Your knowledge of the Olympics and the IOC is impressive, as if you've been posting here for years. I think I can guess who you are.

Archived