la candidature la plus bête du monde

neige

How is it possible to be so bad at communication?

At this stage, everybody should be convinced of Annecy strengths, a bid that can be presented as quite different from the last ones (a big city + snow venues).

This bid is rather like Lillehammer 1994: a convivial small village atmosphere.

- Games in the heart of mountains for a real winter atmosphere.

- Venues in the heart of Annecy, Chamonix and villages, including big pedestrian areas for a warm festive atmosphere.

- Ice and snow in both poles

- 40 snow events and 26 ice events in Annecy pole (over a total of 50 snow events and 36 ice events).

- Lovely nordic venues in the heart of Annecy mountains villages.

- Freestyle and snowbord just above Annecy and its lake.

- Chamonix as the second pole (one of the most famous spot for skiing in the world)

- 130000 fans in facebook.

- Legacy from the past: world cup venues for biathlon, cross country skiing, alpine skiing, bobsleigh + 1924 winter games and 2 world championships in Chamonix.

- Legacy for the future:

a new ski jump that will give a unique place for future Nordic championships in France.

a new speed skating oval (future center for high level winter sport athletes. Today, French skaters have to go in other countries for training).

- contribution to the environmental protection:

new natural reserve in Annecy mountains.

education program for water saving in the world (taking advantage of ice, snow and lake symbols)

education program for environment respectfull skiing resorts for the future (train, buses, cable transport instead of these thousands of cars we see every week-end, energy saving accommodation...).

How is it possible not to be able to sell that?

When I enter “Annecy 2018” in google, I can’t see anything about that…. It is:

The director resigned

Another one resigned

Drut said…..

Killy wasn’t there

Opponents actions

Budget is too low

A peanuts vendor would do better than Annecy 2018!

They should put our boy Tulsa in charge officially, and see where the bid will go!! B)

Tulsa does his best with his english (like me).

He does better than Annecy 2018... and I prefer fully engaged people than IOC members who calculate...

Tulsa does his best with his english (like me).

He does better than Annecy 2018... and I prefer fully engaged people than IOC members who calculate...

I think the French NOC is alredy moving its target for a Paris 2020 bid. It looks to me that 2020 will be in Europe, because no other viable candiates will present itself and PC will take 2018.

It looks to me that 2020 will be in Europe, because no other viable candiates will present itself and PC will take 2018.

That's in theory. I also think that PC will take 2018. Then, 2020 would be in Europe and, once Rio 2016 was (successfully) over, South Africa would get 2024.

In theory, again, Durban would have nothing to do for 2020 against three or four technically strong bids (Rome, Tokyo, Madrid?, Paris???) from countries not affected by the famous continental rotation unwritten rule (in fact, out of those 5, Durban might be the most affected by rotation).

But that's only in theory. After the unexpected result of the 2016 ballot (not the winner, but the great loser and the surprising runner-up), I'm expecting anything for both 2018 and 2020 :rolleyes:

I think the French NOC is alredy moving its target for a Paris 2020 bid. It looks to me that 2020 will be in Europe, because no other viable candiates will present itself and PC will take 2018.

There won't bid to Paris in 2018... Serious stop speaking about PAris when nobody speak in France. Have you seen someone in Paris who think to bid to 2018? Nobody

And PC is a poor bid without perspective for WoG... 2018 will be in Europe, Annecy or Munich...

And PC is a poor bid without perspective for WoG... 2018 will be in Europe, Annecy or Munich...

Mmmh... I won't be that sure. After two failed attemps, it may be the time for PyeongChang - it just reminds me of Madrid so much, I suggest a Madrid-PyeongChang twinning if they both finally get 2018 and 2020 after three tries each ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

There won't bid to Paris in 2018... Serious stop speaking about PAris when nobody speak in France. Have you seen someone in Paris who think to bid to 2018? Nobody

That's probably because they are thinking of bidding for Paris 2020!!

:lol:

How is it possible to be so bad at communication?

At this stage, everybody should be convinced of Annecy strengths, a bid that can be presented as quite different from the last ones (a big city + snow venues).

This bid is rather like Lillehammer 1994: a convivial small village atmosphere.

- Games in the heart of mountains for a real winter atmosphere.

- Venues in the heart of Annecy, Chamonix and villages, including big pedestrian areas for a warm festive atmosphere.

- Ice and snow in both poles

- 40 snow events and 26 ice events in Annecy pole (over a total of 50 snow events and 36 ice events).

- Lovely nordic venues in the heart of Annecy mountains villages.

- Freestyle and snowbord just above Annecy and its lake.

- Chamonix as the second pole (one of the most famous spot for skiing in the world)

- 130000 fans in facebook.

- Legacy from the past: world cup venues for biathlon, cross country skiing, alpine skiing, bobsleigh + 1924 winter games and 2 world championships in Chamonix.

- Legacy for the future:

a new ski jump that will give a unique place for future Nordic championships in France.

a new speed skating oval (future center for high level winter sport athletes. Today, French skaters have to go in other countries for training).

- contribution to the environmental protection:

new natural reserve in Annecy mountains.

education program for water saving in the world (taking advantage of ice, snow and lake symbols)

education program for environment respectfull skiing resorts for the future (train, buses, cable transport instead of these thousands of cars we see every week-end, energy saving accommodation...).

How is it possible not to be able to sell that?

When I enter “Annecy 2018” in google, I can’t see anything about that…. It is:

The director resigned

Another one resigned

Drut said…..

Killy wasn’t there

Opponents actions

Budget is too low

A peanuts vendor would do better than Annecy 2018!

I doubt anybody's oblivious to Annecy's strengths. I doubt there'd be anybody in the IOC who isn't aware of just how beautiful and well equipped for winter sports the French Alps are. It's not something the bid team would have had to try hard to sell or convince people about - and they've already had three opportunities to show that in the past.

And that's the rub - what other story beyond that do they have to sell? What compelling reason is there to go back a fourth time compared to the other two rivals who both (whether you like it or not) have strong emotional attractions in their messages.

If I was to critique Annecy's bidding, I'd say they should have been focussing far more, perhaps even totally totally, on the "small town" atmosphere and abilities to present another "Lillehammer-scale" games. That's a far stronger and original selling point than constantly being outraged that people aren't immediately won over irresistably just by hearing "we are beautiful, we have the best mountain facilities in the world" - It'd be a rare person in the world, especially a winter sports follower - who hasn't been aware of that all their life. And anyway, if it already is the premiere snow sports region in the globe, how exactly would it even benefit from an Olympics?

^Absolutely.

Bids that usually play the "we have the best this or that, or reserve the right, etc" end up left behind (i.e. Athens '96, Sion '06).

The Olympics are always about a compelling NEW story to tell. Beijing, Rio, Sochi, etc all had/have it, winning over other bids that claimed to be the 'best & traditional' in other areas.

One can only have so much of the same thing (even if it is the "best" that there is) B4 they would want to try something new & totally different.

If I was to critique Annecy's bidding, I'd say they should have been focussing far more, perhaps even totally totally, on the "small town" atmosphere and abilities to present another "Lillehammer-scale" games.

I aggree, it's for me the first point to be highlighted.

^Absolutely.

Bids that usually play the "we have the best this or that, or reserve the right, etc" end up left behind (i.e. Athens '96, Sion '06).

The Olympics are always about a compelling NEW story to tell. Beijing, Rio, Sochi, etc all had/have it, winning over other bids that claimed to be the 'best & traditional' in other areas.

One can only have so much of the same thing (even if it is the "best" that there is) B4 they would want to try something new & totally different.

On that point, Munich is not really creative. It is exactly like Turin and Vancouver.

At least, Annecy proposes the "Snow and Ice" concept in both hubs. Then, it's difficult for them to say we have a totally new story to tell...

On that point, Munich is not really creative. It is exactly like Turin and Vancouver.

Munich isnt creative? You make a joke, arent you? Show my any bid that has promised to prepare an Olympic Curling tournament in a swimming hall in which an athlete has won seven gold medals!

At least, Annecy proposes the "Snow and Ice" concept in both hubs. Then, it's difficult for them to say we have a totally new story to tell...

But PyeongChang is selling itself as the "Little or No (Natural) Snow" bid. So, that's a rather unique story to tell...and Tulsa has been promoting this ingenious angle of PC (un)knowingly!! :lol::lol:

I doubt anybody's oblivious to Annecy's strengths. I doubt there'd be anybody in the IOC who isn't aware of just how beautiful and well equipped for winter sports the French Alps are. It's not something the bid team would have had to try hard to sell or convince people about - and they've already had three opportunities to show that in the past.

Not sure you are fully right.

The first project of Annecy was really a big error. It was not compact at all and got a very bad mark from IOC in june 2010.

More over, Annecy did a very bad campaign in 2010.

So, the image of Annecy was a poor bid. I guess that some IOC members just looked at the evaluation marks and said to themselves "OK, this one is a poor bid. It will be between the other 2".

So, I think Annecy 2018 still has to explain the strenths of its new compact project (and I think its too late. This should have been done in 2010 and it's very difficult now to change the image of a bid).

As you say, they should now work on the emotional part, the small village atmosphere, Lillehammer's spirit... They will do that in the last 2 months but I'm afraid it's too late to reverse the trend.

However, you ever know...everything is still possible... :)

However, you ever know...everything is still possible... :)

Well, I am a personal believer that the final few months of a campaign, and being able to seize the momentum and dominate the bidding news cycle as the IOC session approaches, CAN make a difference in a campaign , particularly if it's close.

Within the next week we should have the results of the Germans' Olympic referendum and the IOC final evaluation report. With them out of the way, the stage will be set for how the final runs will play out. Personally I still think PC has had the least distractions throughout the campaign and has been able to keep their marketing on plan, and that Annecy has too much to make up to really challenge, but, yes, I will give you that it's possible for some surprises.

Archived