IOC to award US TV rights in June

I wonder if the 4.4 (4.38, technically, I think) includes a GE TOP sponsorship, it not, that would bring the figure up to 4.6b

ESPN's bid for 2014/2016 was a total of $1.4 billion . . . laughable

Wow, so much for ESPN making an aggressive bid. Hope it was worth the trip for their execs to go to Switzerland for that because it sounds like they almost shouldn't have bothered showing up.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN statement: ``We made a disciplined bid that would have brought tremendous value to the Olympics and would have been profitable for our company. To go any further would not have made good business sense for us. We wish to congratulate the IOC on a fair and transparent process, and we offer our best wishes to Comcast/NBC. We put our best foot forward with a compelling offer that included the enthusiastic participation of all of The Walt Disney Company’s considerable assets.”

Why is laughable? What do you mean bother showing up? Real business people like the guys that run Disney and ESPN know that the games are becoming a dog, and to bid more than 1.4 billion would have meant losing millions of dollars. NBC/Kabletown is run by boneheaded idiots, if they thought losing 200 million, and estimated 250 million for 2010, and 2012 respectively was bad, can't wait to see the losses from a billion on Sochi, Russia.

Why is laughable? What do you mean bother showing up? Real business people like the guys that run Disney and ESPN know that the games are becoming a dog, and to bid more than 1.4 billion would have meant losing millions of dollars. NBC/Kabletown is run by boneheaded idiots, if they thought losing 200 million, and estimated 250 million for 2010, and 2012 respectively was bad, can't wait to see the losses from a billion on Sochi, Russia.

Did they really think they could win with a $1.4 billion bid? I mean, it practically wasn't worth the price of the fuel it cost to fly their execs to Lausanne in that case because they had to know that number wouldn't do it, unless they thought they could play a poker game and read everyone else's bids and then beat them. $1.4 billion is an insult and I think the IOC will remember that the next time the bidding comes up.

Games by games:

2014 - $775 mill

2016 - $1.226 billion

2018 - $963 million

2020 - $1.418 billion

So, Sochi is $55 million less than Vancouver, and Rio is $238 million more than London. Location, location, location.

Did they really think they could win with a $1.4 billion bid? I mean, it practically wasn't worth the price of the fuel it cost to fly their execs to Lausanne in that case because they had to know that number wouldn't do it, unless they thought they could play a poker game and read everyone else's bids and then beat them. $1.4 billion is an insult and I think the IOC will remember that the next time the bidding comes up.

Insult? Maybe to the cliquey corrupt IOC. Disney/ESPN knew what would be profitable and what wouldn't, they're not there to kiss Rogue's butt. Above $1.4 billion they couldn't make a profit, NBC/Comcast has already shown these levels aren't profitable, and yet they bid above them again. When NBC comes out and tells about it's hundred million dollar losses in the future they will have no one to blame but themselves.

Rogge says he would be "happy" to see a 2020 US bid!

I hope USOC doesn't take the bait, or they let Tulsa go for it. When it comes around and they just say NO in the 1st round again, all it will do is make everyone standing there look like a complete fool. How many times do we need to be fooled before we realize they're not our friends.

I hope USOC doesn't take the bait, or they let Tulsa go for it. When it comes around and they just say NO in the 1st round again, all it will do is make everyone standing there look like a complete fool. How many times do we need to be fooled before we realize they're not our friends.

Tulsa? So we should make a joke out of the bid process is what you're saying? Seriously, anyone who is actually entertaining the notion that Tulsa should even be considered is a complete fool.

You are delusional if you think Tulsa has any chance whatsoever at even being a U.S. candidate city. The USOC eliminated Philly and Houston, they will surely eliminate Tulsa. I don't think the USOC would be stupid enough to bid for 2020. Two games back-to-back in the Americas is not going to happen.

Tulsa? So we should make a joke out of the bid process is what you're saying? Seriously, anyone who is actually entertaining the notion that Tulsa should even be considered is a complete fool.

You can't make a joke out of something that has become a mockery of itself already. I don't actually think Tulsa should bid or be sanctioned as the USOC's bid. But, I do think it is a joke. First 2012, then 2016, now 2020? Really, who are we kidding what's changed? The IOC just wants someone to kick around and laugh at. And honestly don't we already look foolish enough to the IOC. They want the US's $$$s and nothing else, they're full of anti-American venom and cliquey European elitism. Why are all the Olympic Sports organizations HQ'd in Switzerland, why is the IOC? They don't want anything to do with the US but to cash our checks, and NBC/Comcast just played right into their hands. If I'm on the advising team to Probst or Blackmun I'm saying just keep the current contracts and don't do any bidding, the precedent was already set, twice in a row even.

The IOC just wants someone to kick around and laugh at.

I've lost count of the bids Istanbul has lost, Madrid has lost two like the US recently, Paris has lost three, the UK before London won lost three, Japan has lost two just like the US. I'm sure there are other examples of countries the IOC has "kicked around" that I can't think of too.

They don't want anything to do with the US but to cash our checks

I seem to remember watching two US Games in the space of 8 years. Or was that my imaginiation?

and NBC/Comcast just played right into their hands.

That's up to them really. I know for your own reasons you wanted a different bid to win, and I know from your posting history you really wanted the US Networks to snub the IOC. Well, it hasn't happened.

You can't make a joke out of something that has become a mockery of itself already. I don't actually think Tulsa should bid or be sanctioned as the USOC's bid. But, I do think it is a joke. First 2012, then 2016, now 2020? Really, who are we kidding what's changed? The IOC just wants someone to kick around and laugh at. And honestly don't we already look foolish enough to the IOC. They want the US's $$$s and nothing else, they're full of anti-American venom and cliquey European elitism. Why are all the Olympic Sports organizations HQ'd in Switzerland, why is the IOC? They don't want anything to do with the US but to cash our checks, and NBC/Comcast just played right into their hands. If I'm on the advising team to Probst or Blackmun I'm saying just keep the current contracts and don't do any bidding, the precedent was already set, twice in a row even.

I've lived in New York since the day I was born (in 1978). I watched the NYC2012 presentation from Rockefeller Center and was saying to my friends there with me the minute it ended that New York didn't have a chance in hell at winning. Does the IOC really owe it the United States to put the Olympics back here a decade after the last Olympics because of all the money NBC pays to them? I get that line of thinking and there is a certain element of European elitism, but New York (and to a lesser extent Chicago) didn't lose because of that, they lost because they didn't have the best bid.

Heard that the Fox bid was something like 3.2 billion for 4 games, but can't be sure if that's true.

I think that's about what Bill O'Reilly makes on "Bold Fresh" bumper stickers each month.

I've lived in New York since the day I was born (in 1978). I watched the NYC2012 presentation from Rockefeller Center and was saying to my friends there with me the minute it ended that New York didn't have a chance in hell at winning. Does the IOC really owe it the United States to put the Olympics back here a decade after the last Olympics because of all the money NBC pays to them? I get that line of thinking and there is a certain element of European elitism, but New York (and to a lesser extent Chicago) didn't lose because of that, they lost because they didn't have the best bid.

NY-yes

Chicago-not so much

Archived