IOC to award US TV rights in June

What is Rogge smoking, seriously. Y would he even make the comment that he "would be 'happy' to see a 2020 bid from the U.S.", when he should know all too well that it's fricken too late for that even if the USOC changed their mind. Did he maybe mean to say 2022 or 2024?!

The deadline for NOC's to submit their candidate of choice is less than 3 months away! The USOC would have to start to run a domestic process for starters, let alone having a bid already set to go in just a few weeks time.

So unless the USOC has been working in the "hush, hush - wink, wink" all this time, there ain't gonna be no fricken U.S. bid for 2020, & f'n Rogge knows this! He's always nothing but a lip-service "diplomat" & ANYTHING that comes out of his fricken mouth should be taken with a grain of f'n salt.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the marquee events would have to take place in the morning, not the afternoon. Remember that Beijing, during DST, is exactly 12 hours ahead of EDT, so that's why we saw all the swimming live - the finals were held in the mornings in Beijing, say 10 am, which meant 10pm Eastern Time in the U.S. Anything after noon in Asia is after midnight Eastern Time, give or take an hour.

I don't see the figure skating moving if Pyeongchang hosts in 2018. Aside from the inconvenience of moving the marquee event to the morning, the sessions all take 3.5 to 4 hours (yeah, you don't get to see the lower tier competitors on TV) as opposed to swimming finals, which take 2 hours. All the best skaters would be going after midnight EST in that scenario. Also, even popular daytime events like skiing and snowboarding have multiple runs or qualifying, so they end in the afternoon as well (with the exception being the downhill and super-G). Even for the downhill and super-G, there are serious postponement risks. Remember Nagano, when CBS showed only two runs of parallel snowboarding in the entire first 60 minutees or so because the downhill couldn't go? I suppose that long track speed skating might be the best event suited for a morning shift in an Asian time zone, but on the whole, I believe NBC/Comcast have to be rooting for Munich or Annecy.

You're forgetting that the time difference changes when we switch to Daylight time. During Standard time Beijing is 13 hours, ahead Seoul/Tokyo is 14 hours ahead, but during Daylight time, it's 12 and 13. That's why Beijing worked so well for NBC and the Swimming finals.

Yea, that's what I was getting at, that during the winter (meaning during the 2018 Olympics), it's 14 hours between Korea and the Eastern U.S.

What is Rogge smoking, seriously. Y would he even make the comment that he "would be 'happy' to see a 2020 bid from the U.S.", when he should know all too well that it's fricken too late for that even if the USOC changed their mind. Did he maybe mean to say 2022 or 2024?!

The deadline for NOC's to submit their candidate of choice is less than 3 months away! The USOC would have to start to run a domestic process for starters, let alone having a bid already set to go in just a few weeks time.

So unless the USOC has been working in the "hush, hush - wink, wink" all this time, there ain't gonna be no fricken U.S. bid for 2020, & f'n Rogge knows this! He's always nothing but a lip-service "diplomat" & ANYTHING that comes out of his fricken mouth should be taken with a grain of f'n salt.

I think it really was an off-the-cuff remark which, obviously, one shouldn't read too much into. But it just shows how happy he/they were with a new hoard of cash. I think they'd be ven happier if 2022 went to the U.S. I would be!!

In a bidding war for Olympic TV rights in the U.S., why does NBC have to come out on top?

I guess if the IOC want a US city to be in with a chance of winning 2024 then arguably to boost their chances they need to bid and lose for 2020 - although as you say USOC have apparently ruled this out and I'd be surprised if any city in the Americas bid considering Rio host in 2016. The games seem destined for Europe or Asia, although I think if Australia put a bid in they'd be in a very strong position.

I think it really was an off-the-cuff remark which, obviously, one shouldn't read too much into. But it just shows how happy he/they were with a new hoard of cash. I think they'd be ven happier if 2022 went to the U.S. I would be!!

Really, it was a mere diplomatic speech. Rogge welcomes any bids. If broken Ireland, Portugal or Greence came forward with a bid, he would probably say that he welcomes it as well. Besides, he doesn't have enough power to swing votes.

For me this has the same impact of him and Nawal talking about African bids. They welcome them, but they cannot guarantee anything. Power groups in the IOC have their own dynamics and the members who manage to move swiftly around brokering the agendas of these groups are the most influential ones. Trying to impose something over those groups is useless.

I'm sure the IOC would welcome a US bid. A more competitve bid pool drives stronger bids from all. It doesn't mean that the US has any chance of winning, though. I think the USOC would be wise to sit 2020 out and wait for fresh blood in the IOC down the road.

When ESPN/ABC could only offer two Olympics, I instantly knew the IOC would never go with that since it wants a four Olympics deal. I don't think FOX would be good with their commentators they have. If this was for Sydney 2000, I could've seen FOX doing it then. Their sister stations in Australia and New Zealand, FOXTEL and Sky Sport NZ, respectively, are better equipped and experienced for that matter. More later.

Hopefully, this has got to be the start of the realization of NBC going live for everything, instead of moving the showcase events for US audiences on primetime. With social networking, Internet sports sites, and Internet streaming getting more powerful and influential, NBC has no choice, especially with Vancouver last year with favorable (for it) time zones, being no excuse. If the OC and CC are not on primetime live, it will actually show it as a replay then after its live showing in the afternoon and evening.

When ESPN/ABC could only offer two Olympics, I instantly knew the IOC would never go with that since it wants a four Olympics deal. I don't think FOX would be good with their commentators they have. If this was for Sydney 2000, I could've seen FOX doing it then. Their sister stations in Australia and New Zealand, FOXTEL and Sky Sport NZ, respectively, are better equipped and experienced for that matter. More later.

More later? You like keeping us in suspense, don't you!

ESPN/ABC didn't lose because of the 2 Olympics, they lost because of a low bid. Yes, the IOC wanted 4 Olympics, but it would have only made sense if they money was there, which from ESPN it was not.

Hopefully, this has got to be the start of the realization of NBC going live for everything, instead of moving the showcase events for US audiences on primetime. With social networking, Internet sports sites, and Internet streaming getting more powerful and influential, NBC has no choice, especially with Vancouver last year with favorable (for it) time zones, being no excuse. If the OC and CC are not on primetime live, it will actually show it as a replay then after its live showing in the afternoon and evening.

According to this article, it appears that NBC's strategy will be to charge for live streaming, at least on tablet and mobile devices:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-09/comcast-s-bet-on-a-profitable-olympics-greeted-with-skepticism-by-analysts.html

My guess is that we'll also have to pay to watch live internet streaming, and there will probably be different package levels by sport, by day, and for the entire Olympics. Much of the coverage will be live on TV as well, but I'd bet that the major events will be live on the internet, for a fee, and then held for primetime on TV.

According to this article, it appears that NBC's strategy will be to charge for live streaming, at least on tablet and mobile devices:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-09/comcast-s-bet-on-a-profitable-olympics-greeted-with-skepticism-by-analysts.html

My guess is that we'll also have to pay to watch live internet streaming, and there will probably be different package levels by sport, by day, and for the entire Olympics. Much of the coverage will be live on TV as well, but I'd bet that the major events will be live on the internet, for a fee, and then held for primetime on TV.

According to the article.. Given NBC Universal’s history of losing money on the Olympics, it’s difficult to be confident in Comcast’s chances of turning a profit, Christopher King, an analyst at Stifel Nicolaus & Co. in Baltimore, said in an interview.

I mean, do these guys even bother proof-reading these articles? They've lost money once in the past 7 Olympics they've covered, I wouldn't exactly call that a history.

ESPN/ABC didn't lose because of the 2 Olympics, they lost because of a low bid. Yes, the IOC wanted 4 Olympics, but it would have only made sense if they money was there, which from ESPN it was not.

After all the noise Disney made about making a strong bid and adding in the Disney TOP sponsorship, I'm still shocked at how low ESPN's bid was. I thought they'd at least be closer to the $2 billion range. I guess their bid shows what the value of a live Olympics would be, when much of the TV coverage would be shown from 3am-noon Eastern.

According to the article.. Given NBC Universal’s history of losing money on the Olympics, it’s difficult to be confident in Comcast’s chances of turning a profit, Christopher King, an analyst at Stifel Nicolaus & Co. in Baltimore, said in an interview.

I mean, do these guys even bother proof-reading these articles? They've lost money once in the past 7 Olympics they've covered, I wouldn't exactly call that a history.

Seriously--so many of the articles I've read over the past week have claimed that the Olympics have often been a money loser for NBC. If these writers did any research, they'd know that NBC lost money on only 2 of Ebersol's 8 Olympics--1992 and 2010. The other 6 made money, and they made more than enough to offset the losses of the other 2.

After all the noise Disney made about making a strong bid and adding in the Disney TOP sponsorship, I'm still shocked at how low ESPN's bid was. I thought they'd at least be closer to the $2 billion range. I guess their bid shows what the value of a live Olympics would be, when much of the TV coverage would be shown from 3am-noon Eastern.

Seriously--so many of the articles I've read over the past week have claimed that the Olympics have often been a money loser for NBC. If these writers did any research, they'd know that NBC lost money on only 2 of Ebersol's 8 Olympics--1992 and 2010. The other 6 made money, and they made more than enough to offset the losses of the other 2.

If that was the case, NBC only lost money when the economy was bad. '92 was the famous year of the "it's the economy, stupid" presidential campaign. And 2010 we all remember.

Considering this, forcing a 4 Games deal was a smart move from the IOC. After all, the economy will most likely be in a better shape in 10 years.

If that was the case, NBC only lost money when the economy was bad. '92 was the famous year of the "it's the economy, stupid" presidential campaign. And 2010 we all remember.

Considering this, forcing a 4 Games deal was a smart move from the IOC. After all, the economy will most likely be in a better shape in 10 years.

Yes, when the economy has been good, NBC has made money on the Olympics. So did CBS on the Winter Olympics in the 90s. NBC might have made money on the 1992 Games as well if not for the Triplecast flop.

It was actually NBC and FOX that pushed the IOC to consider a four Games deal. They both knew they'd have a better chance of making money in the long term, as Sochi and Rio are likely to have higher production costs in addition to the uncertainty of the advertising market over the next few years.

Yes, when the economy has been good, NBC has made money on the Olympics. So did CBS on the Winter Olympics in the 90s. NBC might have made money on the 1992 Games as well if not for the Triplecast flop.

It was actually NBC and FOX that pushed the IOC to consider a four Games deal. They both knew they'd have a better chance of making money in the long term, as Sochi and Rio are likely to have higher production costs in addition to the uncertainty of the advertising market over the next few years.

Why would they think Rio would have a higher production cost? The largest Brazilian network, Globo, is not behind any of the American TV channels in terms of technology. It is a powerhouse with a Holywood-like studio just a few kilometers from the IBC. NBC could easily partner with Globo to lower their production costs.

Why would they think Rio would have a higher production cost? The largest Brazilian network, Globo, is not behind any of the American TV channels in terms of technology. It is a powerhouse with a Holywood-like studio just a few kilometers from the IBC. NBC could easily partner with Globo to lower their production costs.

It's not so much the location as it is the ability to spread costs across 4 Olympics instead of 2. Especially for Fox, you'd have the start-up costs of establishing an Olympics unit, not to mention what it might cost to hire enough staff to work the games (a number which we know would be in the thousands). I couldn't necessarily guess about the costs of London vs. Rio, but I have to imagine Rio will be more costly to NBC than London where they come every year for Wimbledon and already partner with BBC on the coverage of that event.

Archived